Congratulations to Jenson Button and the Brawn Mercedes team.

Started by FoMoJo, October 19, 2009, 12:25:38 PM

FoMoJo

...goes to show what can happen when you put a Mercedes engine in a Honda ;).
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

NomisR

:lol:  There's just something wrong with the old Honda engines though.. at least they can finish with the Mercedes engine.  I wonder how the Cosworth engines would fair for the new teams next year.

FoMoJo

It was a bit puzzling why Honda, after their prior success in F1, just couldn't make a competitive engine; at lease one that didn't blow up.

As for Cosworth, it's great to see them back in F1 as, in many ways, they are the quintessential manufacturer of racing engines and the F1 grid just doesn't seem complete without a couple of Cosworth powered teams.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 19, 2009, 12:50:37 PM
It was a bit puzzling why Honda, after their prior success in F1, just couldn't make a competitive engine; at lease one that didn't blow up.

As for Cosworth, it's great to see them back in F1 as, in many ways, they are the quintessential manufacturer of racing engines and the F1 grid just doesn't seem complete without a couple of Cosworth powered teams.

I think Honda was better off concentrating their efforts on the engine and leaving the Aero bits and Chassis to the teams themselves, they've probably over extended themselves. 

Cosworth being back in play is definitely good, like the good old days.  But with the new cost rule in play in 2011, it may make F1 seem like a hyped up version of F2... at least I hope not.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 19, 2009, 12:50:37 PM

I don't think it was that they couldn't but that they got stuck by the engine freeze.

Their V10 from a few years back was acknowledged to be one of if not the most powerful in the field, but the chassis sucked.

Their V8 was never really the worst of the field, but definitely needed work. Then the freeze came and they were basically f#$ked.

Its also widely acknowledged that the Mercedes and Ferrari powerplants got stronger with "reliability" updates that took place afterwards.

In any case, its about time that Jenson and the rest of the team got rewarded for their persistance.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 21, 2009, 07:48:34 AM
Time for Acura and Mercedes to merge, eh?  :thumbsup:

But no matter how fast their products would go, they're no match for the mighty Camry V6 Grande

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on October 31, 2009, 03:47:56 PM
But no matter how fast their products would go, they're no match for the mighty Camry V6 Grande

I want to comment on that but if I do everyone here will really hate me.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0