The Mercedes SLS

Started by Submariner, October 21, 2009, 10:29:44 AM

Submariner

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=152606#16

I figured The SLS needed some time out in the open too.  

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Two of those pics show up as Vettes.  Just for the record, I like the front half of this car, but the back half is odd and doesn't fit with the front half. 

heelntoe

The first thing i thought was that the door ahndle is way too low...
@heelntoe

sportyaccordy

I hate the snout. Really, all they had to do was keep the SL and replace the hard top mechanism with a simple hatch back. Do away with ABC and the adaptive damping or w/e and some sound deadening, get it down to 3700# and sell that. This car is strange looking and unnecessary IMO. I see this going down in history as the MB Z8.

Xer0

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 21, 2009, 11:12:47 AM
I hate the snout. Really, all they had to do was keep the SL and replace the hard top mechanism with a simple hatch back. Do away with ABC and the adaptive damping or w/e and some sound deadening, get it down to 3700# and sell that. This car is strange looking and unnecessary IMO. I see this going down in history as the MB Z8.

This car should be ~3500 or so and sport a 48/52 weight distribution.  It will be a pretty serious sporting machine.

Submariner

Quote from: Xer0 on October 21, 2009, 11:41:13 AM
This car should be ~3500 or so and sport a 48/52 weight distribution.  It will be a pretty serious sporting machine.

The SLS pays homage to one of the most recognizable cars in the world, the 300SL gullwing...that right there gives it huge "heritage" points.  Whether you like to admit it or not, when it comes to this class of cars, status matters, and something reminiscent of the gullwing does wonders for sales. 

In addition, Edmunds seems to think it's a serious driving machine, and unless Edmunds is totally off base, it will feel world different from the somewhat "numb" Z8.

Not to knock the Z8 though...I'd give my left testicle to own one, and I love my left testicle.

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Xer0

Cool vid, I can't wait for this game to finally be released.  Read any of the comments on that though?

"The guys making GT5 spend way too much time polishing their dicks. By the time GT5 comes out the next gen systems will be a year away. "

:lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Mercedes will sell EVERY SINGLE ONE that rolls off the line. I wanna see one in person before I set my opinion in stone. zfrom the pics I've seen it looks pretty good (in silver) to me.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 21, 2009, 12:06:30 PM
In related news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og3uRCwHPMA

Cool video. It's amazing the amount of detail that goes into these games. What's even more amazing is that they test these cars to in order to make them as realistic as posisble in-game. Wow!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

omicron

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll prefer the convertible version, in much the same way as the convertible SLR works so much better than the coupe.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on October 26, 2009, 07:31:38 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll prefer the convertible version, in much the same way as the convertible SLR works so much better than the coupe.

Same here. 

The convertible SLR really was breathtaking, though in person, even the coupe could get your pulse racing.  But the convertible...

I stood a few feet from one in a showroom, with the top down, in all its glory, in a glossy, beautiful black finish.  Absolutely striking.  And $455,000. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

I'm staring to agree with people that the ass end of this thing is just wrong.

Xer0

I really love everything about this car  :wub:

But, the most important thing is that Mercedes has been slowly giving AMG more and more freedom and with this car, a purposeful, built from the ground up atempt, its come to a very nice result.  This makes me curious on what AMG will be doing on future C-classes and more importantly, the SLK.

BimmerM3

Am I the only one that sort of finds this car boring?

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on October 26, 2009, 07:50:55 AM
Same here. 

The convertible SLR really was breathtaking, though in person, even the coupe could get your pulse racing.  But the convertible...

I stood a few feet from one in a showroom, with the top down, in all its glory, in a glossy, beautiful black finish.  Absolutely striking.  And $455,000. 

I'm usually a coupe guy, even in the case of the SLR, but between the coupe and the Stirling Moss edition...holy shit... I still maintain that the only car built within the last 20 years as visually arresting is the Veyron...roadster.

Submariner

Quote from: Onslaught on October 26, 2009, 02:54:19 PM
I'm staring to agree with people that the ass end of this thing is just wrong.

I disliked it at first too, it grew on me though, and now I like it quite a bit.

giant_mtb

I still think it looks like a Viper. :huh:  Am I crazy?

S204STi

I think it's one of the coolest cars on the road, IMO.  I love it.  Not sure that I would say it looks like a Viper much though.

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on October 26, 2009, 09:30:02 PM
Am I the only one that sort of finds this car boring?

I personally think it's ugly. All the details are questionable, but the biggest fault is the grill. It's too big and the design just doesn't fit. 

sportyaccordy

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 27, 2009, 10:39:25 AM

I sort of see what you're getting at. Similar proportions at the very least.

MrH

I really love it.  Much better than the LF-A in design I think.

I showed it to some of my friends that aren't car dorks, and they immediately all said it looks like that old, awesome Mercedes.  I think it's a great take on one of the greatest cars of all time.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Speed_Racer

I think it looks great in that red. And I love the interior. And let's not even talk about the gullwing doors...that kicks up the cool meter exponentially!

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 27, 2009, 10:39:25 AM

From some angles, I can see what you're talking about, but just ever so slightly. 

BENZ BOY15

I love it!

Looks great....I want one... :lol:

2o6

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on October 28, 2009, 02:21:12 PM
From some angles, I can see what you're talking about, but just ever so slightly. 

Yeah, I mean it's not like I think it's a carbon copy. :lol:  Just the first thought that ran through my head when I saw the thing was "wait, that's a...d'oh!"

BimmerM3

Quote from: Submariner on October 21, 2009, 10:29:44 AM

This shot, in particular, reminds me of the Viper. If the back window were vertical but the C-pillar was left the same, it'd look a lot like the original RT-10.