Leather
17 (58.6%)
Vinyl (synthetic leather!?)
0 (0%)
Other
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 25

MX793

I like cloth, unless the cloth seats have some kind of ugly/tacky pattern (weird random stripes and shapes, animal inspired prints, the stupid prancing ponies that were all over older cloth Mustang seats).  They aren't as cold in the winter, aren't as hot in the summer (nor will your legs stick to them on a hot day), and help hold me in place better than leather (since all seats are apparently made for wider people than me these days, that's a real plus in spirited driving). 

That said, leather has certain advantages.  There are some color combinations that you can really only do with leather.  I love the chamois and saddle leather in recent Mustangs and other performance cars.  Leather also generally exudes a more upscale atmosphere, and it's easier to clean and less prone to staining than cloth should somebody spill something in your car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

My mom's GLK has something called MB-Tex.  I'm assuming its some kind of vinyl.  Personally, I like it a lot.  Its really comfortable, doesn't get hot in the summer and isn't too cold in the winter, and I don't slip and slide around in it.  So I pick that.  Although I've been in some high quality cloth seats (E220 CDI elegance) that I also thought were pretty good.

Raza

Leather, then leatherette, then cloth. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Dark, high quality, tight weave cloth like that in my Accord.

Leather wears quickly, is high maintenance, and if torn/scuffed/ripped is a PITA to repair (and never looks right).

CJ

Leather doesn't wear quickly if you take care of it.

Vinsanity

where's the option for velour?

3.0L V6

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 26, 2009, 09:07:52 PM
where's the option for velour?

I was considering putting it up there.

omicron

Leather has a lovely ambience, but after an Adelaide summer's day is dreadfully uncomfortable (although not as bad as vinyl). Go to any American car show held early in the year, and practically every entrant has some kind of throw over the driver's seat to prevent scorched male-parts. With that said, the smell of rich, thick original leather in older cars is one of the marvellous privileges of classic motoring, and one I'd succumb to in a heartbeat.

sportyaccordy

I'm really torn....

I had black leather in my first Maxima, and on hot summer days it was torture. However, black leather is easily my favorite interior upholstery aesthetically.

My mom has gray leather in her Lexus... it's OK I guess. I wish it was softer. I think the Camriness of the interior puts me off.

My dad has what may be the best compromise leather-wise; a black dash with light beige leather seats. It just looks good, and in the summer time it doesn't get that hot as he has stock tint, and I guess the beige interior doesn't hold much heat. Most cars have beige leather, which isn't too bad, but they also have brownish dashes and steering wheels, which I find absolutely repulsive. And swapping dashes is no joke. So I would probably just suffer with the black or compromise with the gray leather.

Cloth is better in cars that are more about driving. If BMW wasn't so hoity toity I could understand cloth in a 1 or 3 series. Beyond that I'm not really a fan of it. Plus it really retains stains.

saxonyron

I love leather.  I've had leather in my cars/SUVs for over 10 years.  It's never worn out and always looked good, even at 100,000+ miles.  WIth kids, I have no practical choice otherwise.  Especially when they're young.  We drive a lot and take fairly long road trips.  The inevitable Happy Meal dumping, the occasional pee injection, and the dreaded barf fest are all much easier cleaned up with leather.  The last cloth seats I had were in a '96 Windstar minivan.  They always looked dingy, could never get the stains out, and every time I cleaned the interior, the seats held an inexhaustible supply of dust. So slaughter me a cow or two, and wrap my seats up. :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

r0tor

I'm pretty neutral on the subject...

- pleather is hot and uncomfortable but seems to hold up better in newer cars then real leather
- real leather look, feels, and smells wonderful.  It also scuffs, wears to the point of losing its grains, and in my fathers 4runner its cracking
- cloth seems to wear the best but is a nightmare if you spill shit on it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Hachee

With kids, I can't even imagine cloth.  Leather is much better, and leatherette/vinyl is probably even better than that to really keep it clean.  Truth is, in my 325, the leather's not that soft, and if I didn't know it was leather, it would pass for leatherette. 

Nothing beat my parents' 1986 Audi 5000CS.  This was a special edition (non-turbo CS, came in black metallic, which they had, or beige metallic) with beige leather/alcantara sport seats.  The leather on the bolsters and the door panels was soft but sturdy, and the alcantara in the seat/back centers was really nice.  I loved that car, and drove it whenever I could.  Not super fast, but I loved the sound of the 5 cyl engine.  Sorry for digressing.

saxonyron

Quote from: Hachee on October 27, 2009, 07:22:44 AM
With kids, I can't even imagine cloth.  Leather is much better, and leatherette/vinyl is probably even better than that to really keep it clean.  Truth is, in my 325, the leather's not that soft, and if I didn't know it was leather, it would pass for leatherette. 

Nothing beat my parents' 1986 Audi 5000CS.  This was a special edition (non-turbo CS, came in black metallic, which they had, or beige metallic) with beige leather/alcantara sport seats.  The leather on the bolsters and the door panels was soft but sturdy, and the alcantara in the seat/back centers was really nice.  I loved that car, and drove it whenever I could.  Not super fast, but I loved the sound of the 5 cyl engine.  Sorry for digressing.

Hey, digress away!  I  loved the 5000CS.  The thought of it brought me back to my 1st Audi - an '86 Coupe GT with the same 5 cyl, manual tranny and grey cloth seats.  Grippy and comfortable.  Before kids, so the clean up issue wasn't a problem. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 27, 2009, 06:32:36 AM
My dad has what may be the best compromise leather-wise; a black dash with light beige leather seats. It just looks good, and in the summer time it doesn't get that hot as he has stock tint, and I guess the beige interior doesn't hold much heat. Most cars have beige leather, which isn't too bad, but they also have brownish dashes and steering wheels, which I find absolutely repulsive. And swapping dashes is no joke. So I would probably just suffer with the black or compromise with the gray leather.

I have the light beige seats/black dash combo as well. It's ok; what I like about it is that it breaks from the monotony of an all-black interior, and lighter colors help give a feel of spaciousness. What I don't like so much is that dirt and wear show up easier on lighter colored interiors. I try to clean up my seats every month or so, but have given up on my floormats, and it shows.

Byteme

Cloth for clothing.  Leather for domination gear.    :devil:

Onslaught

I've never had problems with leather. It's easy to clean and if you condition it a few times a year it will stay new looking.

NomisR

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 27, 2009, 12:47:32 PM
I have the light beige seats/black dash combo as well. It's ok; what I like about it is that it breaks from the monotony of an all-black interior, and lighter colors help give a feel of spaciousness. What I don't like so much is that dirt and wear show up easier on lighter colored interiors. I try to clean up my seats every month or so, but have given up on my floormats, and it shows.

Black all season floor mat, they seem to held up pretty well while keeping the OEMs nice and clean.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on October 27, 2009, 01:05:24 PM
I've never had problems with leather. It's easy to clean and if you condition it a few times a year it will stay new looking.

+1  Luxol..

cawimmer430

I really don't care what the seats are made out of. Cloth seats are just fine for my needs. I get into a car, even a luxury car, and I don't give the seat material a second glance. I could care less if it were cloth or vinyl. Real leather? Don't need it.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 27, 2009, 03:18:27 PM
I really don't care what the seats are made out of. Cloth seats are just fine for my needs. I get into a car, even a luxury car, and I don't give the seat material a second glance. I could care less if it were cloth or vinyl. Real leather? Don't need it.

Someone's a little touchy......  ;)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on October 26, 2009, 08:12:13 PM
My mom's GLK has something called MB-Tex.  I'm assuming its some kind of vinyl.  Personally, I like it a lot.  Its really comfortable, doesn't get hot in the summer and isn't too cold in the winter, and I don't slip and slide around in it.  So I pick that.  Although I've been in some high quality cloth seats (E220 CDI elegance) that I also thought were pretty good.

MB-Tex is artificial leather. It's been offered since the 1960s and has gained popularity amongst most Mercedes customers because of its durability, ease of cleaning and its realistic appearance.  :ohyeah:

Most comparisons between MB-Tex and MB-Leather (real stuff) give the nod to MB-Tex. From a long-term ownership point of view it is the better deal.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on October 27, 2009, 03:21:31 PM
Someone's a little touchy......  ;)

Huh?  :huh:

I've never seen the appeal of leather seats. Ever. When I drive my sisters BMW 118i I don't notice the cloth seats at all. When I am driving the family E320 I don't notice the 50-50 cloth-leather seats either. Seats are something I sit on and what matters to me is if they're comfortable, not the type of material they're made out of. And since I am generally a minimalist cloth seats are just fine for me.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ChrisV

170k+ miles:

Cloth can be more comfortable, but stains easier, tears easier, and is seriously hard to clean up, even if it's been scotch-guarded.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Payman

Good leather. We rented a GMC Acadia (excellent vehicle otherwise) that had leather that was hard and slippery. The leather in my brother's Porsche is soft and supple but not slippery... and it smells great.

TBR

Leather. Good or bad, it's always better than cloth.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Payman on October 27, 2009, 04:35:37 PM
Good leather. We rented a GMC Acadia (excellent vehicle otherwise) that had leather that was hard and slippery. The leather in my brother's Porsche is soft and supple but not slippery... and it smells great.

:hesaid:

Cheap cars with leather have horrible leather. More upscale ones, even a 3 series BMW (like mine) have much nicer, softer leather. I would only get a car with leather if it's quality. Otherwise I'll take cloth.

MrH

Leather.  I've had leather in the Protege for years now, and love it.  I get a ton of comments on it, and could never imagine going back now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Leather.

On the Audi 5000 theme. My dad used to have a 1991 Saab 9000 CD; it was a retirement present to himself. It was loaded with every goodie you can think of (with the regrettable exception of a turbocharger), including a superb real leather interior. He kept the car 17 years and the aroma of fine hide was still as good when he sold it as the day he took delivery back when my kids were  tiny.

The leather in my Pilot & Infinitis (some of which is merely "inserts" with leather lookalike vinyl elsewhere) is nowhere near the quality of the stuff that was in that Saab.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși