Toyota's at it again!

Started by FoMoJo, November 05, 2009, 06:25:40 AM

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NACar on November 05, 2009, 12:11:53 PM
To start with, all drivers should be given only a Swift license until they can pass more stringent exams to operate larger, more powerful vehicles.

I'd have no problem with that.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on November 05, 2009, 12:12:50 PM
Pretty much all cars have a fuel shutoff. When they are on the rev limiter for XXX seconds, it automatically cuts fuel.

And why did the guy shift back into drive? How stupid.

If my car did that I sure as heck wouldn't have started it and then driven it to the dealership. I would have been on the horn to AAA in a heartbeat.

FoMoJo

Uh Oh! :confused:

I lost my connection when I tried to post to this thread.  Toyota must have found out about it! :mask:

:lol: :lol:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: Byteme on November 05, 2009, 12:17:15 PM
If my car did that I sure as heck wouldn't have started it and then driven it to the dealership. I would have been on the horn to AAA in a heartbeat.
According to his story, when he got it stopped, the engine wouldn't shut down after pressing the start/stop switch several times and it was reving near the redline.  He thought it might blow up so he put it back into drive.

It was mentioned somewhere, that the start/stop button should be held down for 3 seconds in an emergency.  I wonder how many people know that?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

GoCougs

Quote from: Byteme on November 05, 2009, 12:08:55 PM
Read the NHTSA petition denial.  Read the evidence. The floor mats are a problem IF INSTALLED INCORRECTLY.  THe dealer played the right card, they told what is likely the truth regarding the cause of the problem.

In the ultra mega uber unlikely event a floor mat actually jams an accelerator, modern vehicles have safety measures as noted in this thread.

Thus, I remain 100% unconvinced that it is the cause of the problems as described (i.e., extended periods of engine runaway).

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2009, 12:47:07 PM
In the ultra mega uber unlikely event a floor mat actually jams an accelerator, modern vehicles have safety measures as noted in this thread.

Thus, I remain 100% unconvinced that it is the cause of the problems as described (i.e., extended periods of engine runaway).
So, what do you think is causing this problem?  Computer glitches?  Problems with the sending/receiving units?

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 12:53:10 PM
So, what do you think is causing this problem?  Computer glitches?  Problems with the sending/receiving units?

98+% chance the same as with the Audi 5000 issue - user error.

S204STi

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 11:35:44 AM
You may have noticed I used a  ;) emoticon on this topic.

It's not so much the problem but how Toyota respond to it.

I wasn't trying to imply that you were incorrect in bringing it up, or even your interpretation, but by presenting a good synopsis of what happened it helps me to interpret things in perhaps a different manner.

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on November 05, 2009, 12:12:50 PM
Pretty much all cars have a fuel shutoff. When they are on the rev limiter for XXX seconds, it automatically cuts fuel.

This isn't necessarily true.  Most cars simply limit fuel in order to provide a rev limit, but they won't necessarily cut all power in the case of an over-rev. 

S204STi

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 12:34:13 PM
According to his story, when he got it stopped, the engine wouldn't shut down after pressing the start/stop switch several times and it was reving near the redline.  He thought it might blow up so he put it back into drive.

It was mentioned somewhere, that the start/stop button should be held down for 3 seconds in an emergency.  I wonder how many people know that?

If they read their owner's manual like they should, then yes they would know it. 

One interesting note, the customer was pulling up on the accelerator pedal yet no change occurred in engine speed.  With these DBW systems you have basically a potentiometer at the pedal with some weights and springs to simulate the normal resistance of a cable-operated system.  I wonder if anyone has tested the pedal assemblies on the effected vehicles to determine whether they are shorting to a WOT signal?  I know from the number of failed fuel level sensor potentiometers that I deal with that they can fail in such a way as to create erratic signals.  I don't think this is necessarily the case here, but perhaps for the sake of discussion it would be interesting to find out.

FoMoJo

Quote from: R-inge on November 05, 2009, 01:22:41 PM
I wasn't trying to imply that you were incorrect in bringing it up, or even your interpretation ...it didn't occur to me that you were... but by presenting a good synopsis of what happened it helps me to interpret things in perhaps a different manner.
I think Toyota gets away with far too much in their PR blitzes.  They are on a huge marketing campaign right now and something like this can derail them if not handled in a forthright manner.  They seem to be trying to dance around the problem rather than addressing the issue.  Other manufacturers, even Ford, :( do the same; but, usually, get hammered for it.

Quote from: R-inge on November 05, 2009, 01:28:36 PM
If they read their owner's manual like they should, then yes they would know it. 

One interesting note, the customer was pulling up on the accelerator pedal yet no change occurred in engine speed.  With these DBW systems you have basically a potentiometer at the pedal with some weights and springs to simulate the normal resistance of a cable-operated system.  I wonder if anyone has tested the pedal assemblies on the effected vehicles to determine whether they are shorting to a WOT signal?  I know from the number of failed fuel level sensor potentiometers that I deal with that they can fail in such a way as to create erratic signals.  I don't think this is necessarily the case here, but perhaps for the sake of discussion it would be interesting to find out.
I noticed that as well.  An erractic electronic component may be hard to nail down.

S204STi

Yes, very hard to nail down. 

Laconian

If the problem's a software issue, and they don't have trace data from the affected vehicles, they're going to be hard pressed to reproduce it. Software introduces a level of nondeterminism to a system that makes thorough testing a big challenge.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 12:34:13 PM

Most people on this board probably knows now.  :lol:

But I never understood the need to have a start/stop button.  I can see the need to go fuel injection or starter or whatever modern conveniences, but having a button while you still have to plug something into the car, like with BMWs for example without the keyless option, it doesn't make sense.  Might as well go with a simple key setup. 

Morris Minor

I sent my kids on driving courses, where they were taught what to do in emergency situations. A couple of things that were highlighted.

You can swerve a car much more violently than you think you can. Most of the time it will stay upright & swerving is usually (given that you scan your mirrors every 10 seconds) better than driving into the refrigerator that dropped off the truck in front of you.

With anti-lock brakes you can steer AND brake. You should be standing on the brake as hard as you possibly can.

Most drivers don't know what to do in emergencies such as the ones in this Toyota situation. I would like to think that if I were in the impossibly unlikely situation of being stuck with a WOT AND unable switch off the engine, I would put it in neutral then brake. Who cares if the engine blows up? But who's to know how I'd react in the heat of the moment? I've never been taught.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: TBR on November 05, 2009, 11:10:04 AM
Data from the NHTSA indicates that the brakes were used at full strength. And, yes, any vehicle with a throttle by wire system should for sure go into limp-home mode if full gas and full brakes are on for an substantial amount of time, that indicates that something is wrong. Whether other cars from other companies do that or not is immaterial because they should.

interestingly enough i just read an S4 review a couple days ago where the tester was bitching that if your on the gas and apply the brake, the gas cuts off... making the popular left footed braking maneuvers some people use very frustrating
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on November 05, 2009, 01:28:36 PM

I've installed an aftermarket cruise system on a 2007 Civic and when I did, I had to intercept two wires from the DBW pedal assembly.

If I remember correctly, the pedal assembly actually has two potentiometers in it, hence the requirement to intercept both for the cruise to work.

So it would seem that at least in the Civic both would have to fail spontaneously.

I have to believe that every car with DBW has some sort of redundancy like this in the pedal switch though.

S204STi

Yeah, that makes sense.  I bet you're correct, there must be some sort of redundancy.

3.0L V6

Maybe switching back to the old fashioned key to start/stop a vehicle might be an option to consider. At least it's idiot-proof.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on November 05, 2009, 08:49:03 PM
Maybe switching back to the old fashioned key to start/stop a vehicle might be an option to consider. At least it's idiot-proof.

I don't see why it can't be a dummy turn switch instead of a button.

That way you get to keep the "keyless" feature, but with a method that everyone is used to. It also provides for a switch with an OFF position, rather than a dual purpose start/stop button.

ifcar

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 05, 2009, 09:11:41 PM
I don't see why it can't be a dummy turn switch instead of a button.

That way you get to keep the "keyless" feature, but with a method that everyone is used to. It also provides for a switch with an OFF position, rather than a dual purpose start/stop button.

Makes sense to me.

CALL_911

Fuck all this shit, I vote for a return of switchblade keys!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 05, 2009, 10:05:24 PM

I don't like switchblade keys. I think they're too fat.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 05, 2009, 10:05:24 PM
Screw switchblades, original, get-them-cut-anywhere metal keys are the best!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on November 05, 2009, 03:58:46 PM
interestingly enough i just read an S4 review a couple days ago where the tester was bitching that if your on the gas and apply the brake, the gas cuts off... making the popular left footed braking maneuvers some people use very frustrating

How do you heal toe then?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Quote from: thecarnut on November 05, 2009, 10:54:52 PM

Yeah, I'll go ahead with the switchblade.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 05, 2009, 11:08:07 PM
Yeah, I'll go ahead with the switchblade.
Switchblades suck. They are thick and heavy... regular metal keys are much nicer. They are thinner and much easier to duplicate.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Quote from: thecarnut on November 05, 2009, 10:54:52 PM

:hesaid:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CALL_911

Quote from: thecarnut on November 05, 2009, 11:12:39 PM
Switchblades suck. They are thick and heavy... regular metal keys are much nicer. They are thinner and much easier to duplicate.

I like the keyless entry function, and they're solid as hell. Plus, I like playing with the flip out mechanism. :lol:

I'd MUCH rather a switchblade than a metal key with a remote dangling off of it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi