Zipcar!!!

Started by sportyaccordy, November 08, 2009, 01:01:43 AM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on November 08, 2009, 08:03:36 PM
I'm saying itemise your costs as if you were driving a zipcar. Keep track of the time, and therefore the money you would spend on the program. Don't just assume that you would use the minimum.
The only thing we would use the car for is to do shopping at BJs and drop-off/pick up laundry; both of which we do twice a month max, and don't spend more than 5 hours doing each time (we usually do both together). Even if somehow that came to more than $75/mo, I doubt it would somehow go past $500/mo. Beyond that I literally have no *need* for a car; to visit family locally I would take the Long Island Railroad, to go out in  the city I would take the subway or a cab, etc. etc. So I wouldn't save the full amount, but it would def. still be cheaper, and more importantly less of a hassle than ownership.

They have a car depot about 1/2 a mile away (10 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride) so getting to them is a non-issue.

Cmon guys you are supposed to encourage financially responsible decisions!

CALL_911

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 08, 2009, 08:19:20 PM
The only thing we would use the car for is to do shopping at BJs and drop-off/pick up laundry; both of which we do twice a month max, and don't spend more than 5 hours doing each time (we usually do both together). Even if somehow that came to more than $75/mo, I doubt it would somehow go past $500/mo. Beyond that I literally have no *need* for a car; to visit family locally I would take the Long Island Railroad, to go out in  the city I would take the subway or a cab, etc. etc. So I wouldn't save the full amount, but it would def. still be cheaper, and more importantly less of a hassle than ownership.

They have a car depot about 1/2 a mile away (10 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride) so getting to them is a non-issue.

Cmon guys you are supposed to encourage financially responsible decisions!

The fucking LIRR costs an arm and a leg.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

You spend $30-50 a month in gas to go to BJs and pick up your laundry?

That's like 300-500 miles man. I think you're overlooking a lot of the little things that would add up.

And I'm not trying to discourage you, I just wanted to encourage you to really go through everything methodically before you sell your car off and commit to it.

But hey, you know you better than I do. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Tave on November 08, 2009, 08:28:44 PM

That's like 300-500 miles man. I think you're overlooking a lot of the little things that would add up.

And I'm not trying to discourage you, I just wanted to encourage you to really go through everything methodically before you sell your car off and commit to it.

Maybe he just hits VTAK all the time and gets bad mpgs. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Quote from: ifcar on November 08, 2009, 01:21:36 PM
You can use it more, you just pay more. If you don't rely on your car to get everywhere -- which you shouldn't have to in the city -- it works out financially, and puts you in a newer car than you'd otherwise be driving.

Gotchya. :rockon:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on November 08, 2009, 08:28:44 PM

Up until recently I had a chipped ECU that didn't show an O2 sensor code, and the car was in need of a tune up. Plus 80% of my driving is stop + go in the city, often before the car could fully warm up. Combine those factors and it's not unreasonable to see how I'd get less than the EPA estimated 20 MPG for city driving. I also do drive with a bit of a lead foot at times (I mean I paid for the intake + exhaust, so I should be able to enjoy them!). Plus, a big chunk of the miles I drive are spent on finding parking. Like tonight, I have training at work and a GMAT class, so I get home late when everyone's parked up. It's not unusual for me to spend up to half an hour looking for parking- which would be a couple of miles of purely stop & go traffic in a car that's almost totally cold the whole time. So it's really more like $30 a month, if that. I'm not sure I fill up every month.

I recently finally did a tune up and the car drives noticeably better, so that helps.

Now I just have to get this thing sold. New windshield, detailed interior, new motor mount and maybe new tires. If I can keep all that under $500 I will get all that done. Hopefully I can find someone to buy the car for $2500... it's fun, has a good stereo/suspension/motor setup & has a lot of new parts. Body's just a little beat.

2o6

You can't buy a space?

3.0L V6

Quote from: 2o6 on November 09, 2009, 06:08:26 PM
You can't buy a space?

I'd imagine a parking space in NYC would be hugely expensive.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on November 09, 2009, 08:00:39 PM
I'd imagine a parking space in NYC would be hugely expensive.
Yes.

r0tor

10 hrs?  Whats that in new york city traffic... like a mile?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: Psilos on November 08, 2009, 04:25:35 PM
You make it sound like having a car is a necessary part of life, or you'll die!

It is, unless you're a liberal or a Canadian, and expect government to take care of you a la Katrina and/or abominable nationalized health care...

The problem is living in an area that demands $325/mo insurance for a $1,000 car.

This Zipcar idea is so uber fail it makes my head spin.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 10:20:42 AM
It is, unless you're a liberal or a Canadian, and expect government to take care of you a la Katrina and/or abominable nationalized health care...

The problem is living in an area that demands $325/mo insurance for a $1,000 car.

Suburban and rural car owners rely on the government to take care of them by building and maintaining roads. In denser areas, you rely on the government to provide public transportation, as well as on private enterprise to locate many businesses within walking distance.

In a catastrophe, the roads couldn't handle the volume of everyone trying to simultaneously drive out of NYC anyway.

GoCougs

But let's say there are other unplanned, short-notice trips that aren't necessarily catastrophes but are still urgent; going to the doctor, a family emergency, a sick pet, etc.

Sounds harsh, but IMO Zipcar is yet another sporty justification to live in a city that he can't afford.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 10:38:44 AM
But let's say there are other unplanned, short-notice trips that aren't necessarily catastrophes but are still urgent; going to the doctor, a family emergency, a sick pet, etc.

Sounds harsh, but IMO Zipcar is yet another sporty justification to live in a city that he can't afford.

He said the hospital is nearby and that taxis abound for any mild emergency that you describe.

NomisR

Most of those would likely be within walking distances as well, and if not.. zip car would do the trick, theoretically. 

When I went to SF, I saw one of these Zip car stations and I guess in areas with high density and well distributed mass transit system, owning a vehicle is not necessary but the ability to rent one at will would be advantageous so it helps out, and he can just walk down the street to pick up the car and go.. at least in theory.

The Zip car I saw had 3 cars sitting in their spaces and that was the weekend, so I don't think it'll be that much worse.. 

r0tor

To be honest, i'm not a fan of these programs at all but to me it makes sense in NYC.  

I visit the place every so often and after the second time I learned to park my car in jersey and take the ferry over because having a car in NYC is just a complete pain in the ass.  Traffic is always horrendous.  MOst of the time the faster way to get somewhere is by walking or using the subway.  There is ALWAYS a problem parking no matter where you go... I've even run into quality hotels that leave the parking up to you to figure out.  You want to take your car and drive to an attraction across time - plan on spending a good 1-2 hours finding a parking spot plus paying $20-30 an hour AND giving your keys to some seedy looking individual.

If I was living in the city and liked driving out of the city every once in a while I'd actually look into some garage space outside the city that has easy train/subway/buss/fairy access.

From my experiences, parking in Philly, Balitmore, DC, Pittsburgh, and Boston were seldom ever a problem compared to frikkin NYC.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Have you ever been to NYC?  If there was ever a city I could actually see myself not needing a car, it's NYC. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on November 10, 2009, 09:41:02 AM
10 hrs?  Whats that in new york city traffic... like a mile?

:lol:

GoCougs

Uh, guys, he doesn't live in Manhattan. The outer Burroughs aren't light years better WRT car ownership, but indeed better.

And yes, I've been to a few of the Burroughs and have stayed in Manhattan.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 11:55:15 AM
Uh, guys, he doesn't live in Manhattan. The outer Burroughs aren't light years better WRT car ownership, but indeed better.

But public transportation is still better than the majority of the country which can eliminate the need for a car.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 11:55:15 AM

Cougs, who's opinion on living in NYC would you value more... a dude who has lived here continuously in 3 boroughs for 25 years or a guys who visited a few times?

As I already said, cabs are quick, the hospital is basically down the block, family is a 40 minute train ride away, etc. Having a car here is a more of a sacrifice than not having one.

And as far as my finances, my gf just got us a 10% reduction on our rent. That, coupled with a reduction of about $400 a month in car related expenses brings my total living expenses down to a little under 40% of my take home... and that's counting everything: food, gym membership, alcohol + going out etc... so affordability is def not an issue. Getting rid of the car is more of an issue of freeing up time and not having to have more shit to deal with.

I am the only person I know in my social circle who doesn't drive to work, but has a car. It just doesn't make sense.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 10, 2009, 01:43:48 PM
Cougs, who's opinion on living in NYC would you value more... a dude who has lived here continuously in 3 boroughs for 25 years or a guys who visited a few times?

As I already said, cabs are quick, the hospital is basically down the block, family is a 40 minute train ride away, etc. Having a car here is a more of a sacrifice than not having one.

And as far as my finances, my gf just got us a 10% reduction on our rent. That, coupled with a reduction of about $400 a month in car related expenses brings my total living expenses down to a little under 40% of my take home... and that's counting everything: food, gym membership, alcohol + going out etc... so affordability is def not an issue. Getting rid of the car is more of an issue of freeing up time and not having to have more shit to deal with.

I am the only person I know in my social circle who doesn't drive to work, but has a car. It just doesn't make sense.

Scooter!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on November 10, 2009, 01:56:22 PM

Scooter!
I should get a Swift. I could just bring it up stairs and park it in the closet.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 10, 2009, 02:02:11 PM
I should get a Swift. I could just bring it up stairs and park it in the closet.

All my my cars are always for sale, for the right price :ohyeah:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: NACar on November 10, 2009, 02:09:56 PM
All my my cars are always for sale, for the right price :ohyeah:
I'll give you $20 for it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

NomisR

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 10:20:42 AM

What? No, it's just paranoid to think that if you don't have a car, you'll die!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 10, 2009, 01:43:48 PM

The car you have now is not ideal; you need something that you don't think about, like a used Civic. But it seems like you've weighed the options as you see them, but me personally I wouldn't do it nor recommend it.