Zipcar!!!

Started by sportyaccordy, November 08, 2009, 01:01:43 AM

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 10:20:42 AM
It is, unless you're a liberal or a Canadian, and expect government to take care of you a la Katrina and/or abominable nationalized health care...

The problem is living in an area that demands $325/mo insurance for a $1,000 car.

This Zipcar idea is so uber fail it makes my head spin.

You're an idiot.

GoCougs

Quote from: Payman on November 10, 2009, 09:43:38 PM

You're an idiot.

And you're taking things a bit too seriously. It was just a friendly jab at my fellow 'Spinners...

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 09:48:44 PM
And you're taking things a bit too seriously. It was just a friendly jab at my fellow 'Spinners...

And I was smiling when I typed that.  :ohyeah:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2009, 08:44:03 PM
The car you have now is not ideal; you need something that you don't think about, like a used Civic. But it seems like you've weighed the options as you see them, but me personally I wouldn't do it nor recommend it.
The only need I have for a car is to do my laundry and grocery shopping. If I own a car I will be paying at least ~$200/mo to insure it plus whatever to fuel & maintain it. Zipcar allows me to do my laundry & grocery shopping for $75/mo. If you can step outside of your situation and look at those of others then sometimes things you wouldn't do yourself can make sense.

Tave

You obviously use your car to do more than grocery shopping. Of course you don't need it for any of those other things (you mentioned cabs and the Long Island Railroad as alternatives). I was just cautioning you to do your due diligence, which isn't bad advice.

I'm not even saying it would be cheaper to keep your car, I'm just saying you should go forward with a reasonable and objective view of all the costs.

You're comparing the ~$400/month cost of owning your car with the $75/month cost of Zipcar, and only seem vaugely aware of all the attendant costs that comes with (I.e. "Yeah, I'll have to use cabs or trains for this or that, but it shouldn't be too much")

Well, find out how much it's going to be. Don't just assume that it's a trivial amount.

What if this Zipcar idea ends up costing you $300/month once you factor in all the attendant costs? Would that make a difference in your decision? Even if it's still a little cheaper than owning a car, is the sacrifice harder to swallow?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on November 11, 2009, 08:49:50 AM
You obviously use your car to do more than grocery shopping. Of course you don't need it for any of those other things (you mentioned cabs and the Long Island Railroad as alternatives). I was just cautioning you to do your due diligence, which isn't bad advice.

I'm not even saying it would be cheaper to keep your car, I'm just saying you should go forward with a reasonable and objective view of all the costs.

You're comparing the ~$400/month cost of owning your car with the $75/month cost of Zipcar, and only seem vaugely aware of all the attendant costs that comes with (I.e. "Yeah, I'll have to use cabs or trains for this or that, but it shouldn't be too much")

Well, find out how much it's going to be. Don't just assume that it's a trivial amount.

What if this Zipcar idea ends up costing you $300/month once you factor in all the attendant costs? Would that make a difference in your decision? Even if it's still a little cheaper than owning a car, is the sacrifice harder to swallow?
Well I can itemize all the stuff now for a month, realistically.

Metrocard for subway use: (already have to get one for work)
Zipcar membership: $75/2 = $37.50 (assuming we don't go over, which I just don't see happening)
Monthly trip to parents (LIRR + cab): $25
2 nights out in city, cab both ways (which I wouldn't do): $25 each way x 2 ways x 2 nights / 2 = $50

So $112.50/mo TOPS, barring the unforeseen incidents (which I have yet to encounter in 3 years), vs the $500 I was paying before.

Realistically, 80% of the driving I do in this car is either to find parking, or to get parts or head to a friend's shop to fix it. I have yet to use it for work in the past 2 years, and if I need a car for work will have no problem getting reimbursed for a rental. I don't need this car.

Plus the sacrifices I would make not having it aren't much worse than the sacrifices I make to have it. Obviously the financial one is a biggie. But there's also the time I spend looking for parking and fixing it. I mean I could find a reliable enough car within the same price range and not work on it.... but to a degree I like modding it and making it more enjoyable to drive. If it wasn't fun to drive I would rather walk etc.

I'm going to try it. If it's really that awful, which I doubt it will be, I will just get another car. This isn't a lifelong commitment, just a temporary deal until I can get out of NYC.

CALL_911

Your parents live on LI?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 11, 2009, 11:17:11 AM

Zipcar membership: $75/2 = $37.50 (assuming we don't go over, which I just don't see happening)
2 nights out in city, cab both ways (which I wouldn't do): $25 each way x 2 ways x 2 nights / 2 = $50

So $112.50/mo TOPS, barring the unforeseen incidents (which I have yet to encounter in 3 years), vs the $500 I was paying before.

Realistically, 80% of the driving I do in this car is either to find parking, or to get parts or head to a friend's shop to fix it. I have yet to use it for work in the past 2 years, and if I need a car for work will have no problem getting reimbursed for a rental. I don't need this car.

Plus the sacrifices I would make not having it aren't much worse than the sacrifices I make to have it. Obviously the financial one is a biggie. But there's also the time I spend looking for parking and fixing it. I mean I could find a reliable enough car within the same price range and not work on it.... but to a degree I like modding it and making it more enjoyable to drive. If it wasn't fun to drive I would rather walk etc.

I'm going to try it. If it's really that awful, which I doubt it will be, I will just get another car. This isn't a lifelong commitment, just a temporary deal until I can get out of NYC.

Having to move your car constantly seems like more of an inconvenience than walking a few blocks to a Zipcar station.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 11, 2009, 11:31:54 AM
Your parents live on LI?
Yep
Quote from: TBR on November 11, 2009, 11:53:25 AM
Having to move your car constantly seems like more of an inconvenience than walking a few blocks to a Zipcar station.
I have a rhythm going, and knock on wood have only had 1 ticket due to parking in the wrong place at the wrong time this year (I didn't know they had street cleaning on Saturdays). But it is an added burden, and probably terrible for gas mileage as that makes up a lot of my driving. Just a mega pain.,

NomisR

I think Zipcar is a good solution for your situation.  I personally wouldn't live in NYC.  But with my experience there, I remember parking at least 10+ blocks away from where I was intended on going because I couldn't find a space nearby and having to take the subway there.. not something you would normally do in any other city other than NYC.  Driving definitely doesn't make sense. 

Tave

Why are you halving the costs for the Zipcar scenario but not for your current situation?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

I say give it a try and see if it works for you. Be sure to do thorough tests of the cars you drive and post your experiences.  :ohyeah:

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on November 11, 2009, 12:18:16 PM
Why are you halving the costs for the Zipcar scenario but not for your current situation?

Because he's paying for all the cost of the car but she would help pay for the cost of Zipcar...

CALL_911

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 11, 2009, 11:55:29 AM
Yep
I have a rhythm going, and knock on wood have only had 1 ticket due to parking in the wrong place at the wrong time this year (I didn't know they had street cleaning on Saturdays). But it is an added burden, and probably terrible for gas mileage as that makes up a lot of my driving. Just a mega pain.,

Alternate side parking is a PITA.

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts on LI?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

NomisR

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 11, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

His parents are your neighbors.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 11, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

Baldwin.
Quote from: Tave on November 11, 2009, 12:18:16 PM
GF wants no parts of the Beast from the East.

ifcar

Do you get to count two drivers under one Zipcar membership, or would you just be the only driver?

MrH

This thread should be renamed, "Let's try and make sporty look stupid by pointing out things he could have forgotten." :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

I wonder what percentage of people that live in NYC proper actually do have cars. My sister lived in Boston for 5 years without a car, and she now lives in Seattle without a car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ifcar on November 11, 2009, 12:51:12 PM
Do you get to count two drivers under one Zipcar membership, or would you just be the only driver?
Pretty sure you get to put two drivers under one membership. Won't really matter as if you have two cars out at one time your usage time gets run through accordingly.

Quote from: MrH on November 11, 2009, 12:57:15 PM
This thread should be renamed, "Let's try and make sporty look stupid by pointing out things he could have forgotten." :lol:
Are they succeeding? This seems like a no-brainer to me.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 11, 2009, 02:58:21 PM
Are they succeeding? This seems like a no-brainer to me.
I don't think they're succeeding.  Let's recap shall we?

Cougs: You're gonna die a horrible and tragic death in a terrorist attack/alien invasion/flood/hurricane/tornado/buildings spontaneously combusting if you don't have a car.

Well, that's about it. :huh: