Why the new Legacy looks like that

Started by ifcar, November 09, 2009, 09:17:20 AM

ifcar

The old Legacy after a 6-mph front-end collision:

The new Legacy after a 6-mph front-end collision:

http://www.iihs.org/sr/sr4410/default.html

the Teuton

I miss the understated looks of the old model, but cheaper to own and operate is always a good thing. Subaru is on a roll right now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

the Teuton

I really don't see where it needs repair.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on November 09, 2009, 09:29:35 AM
I really don't see where it needs repair.

Probably some scuff marks and snapped bumper cover clips here and there, maybe some damage to the components underneath. The sort of thing that most people would probably only get fixed if someone else were at fault and their insurance was covering it.

TBR

Wow, that's impressive. Still ugly though.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

IMO that's not why the car is a styling mess. Subaru needs to address wheel well/wheel size ratio, dump the lower body cladding and ridiculous wheel arc, and give it a bit of a forward rake.

SVT666

Wow.  The new car looks like the old car does after the 6 mph crash.

Xer0

Colin

I have to congratulate Subaru............. from offering a car that had universal respect, with the old model, they have launched a car which I have yet to see anyone in the UK say that they like. Indeed, if you read the thread on the Autocar forum, all the current owners of the old model say that they have absolutely no intention of going anywhere the latest styling goof-up.

First they dilute the appeal of the Impreza, and now they throw away their Legacy buyers......... don't think they can survive on Forester sales alone.

At least when Peugeot beat their cars with the ugly stick more times than you could imagine, sales magically went up (god knows why!).

MX793

Doesn't the 6 mph collision test to see what happens if you run into a pickup or SUV at 6 mph?  Looks like the old car's bumper was a hair too low to line up with that of a truck, which is why the grille got all bashed in.  The new one's taller bumper and nose obviously aligns better.  My solution would be to impose bumper height limits on pickups and SUVs.  Commercial trucks have them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: Colin on November 09, 2009, 01:02:54 PM

First they dilute the appeal of the Impreza

to be honest... no they haven't.  I test drove both recently.... compared to the new cars, the old ones feel like really really cheap econotrash.

I came away with thinking that the subie fans bitching about the car are the people out there that believe the only way a car can handle good is if its stiff as a board... a ride in a RX8 or 3 series would quickly squash that myth for them
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on November 09, 2009, 04:58:43 PM
to be honest... no they haven't.  I test drove both recently.... compared to the new cars, the old ones feel like really really cheap econotrash.

I came away with thinking that the subie fans bitching about the car are the people out there that believe the only way a car can handle good is if its stiff as a board... a ride in a RX8 or 3 series would quickly squash that myth for them

That plus Subaru fans tend to be absurdly anti-change.  Any time Subaru redesigns a much-loved model it gets tons of hate from all the current owners about how badly they effed up, yet with time even the most ardent fanbois eventually realize that yeah, that new car sure is nice after all.

CALL_911

Quote from: R-inge on November 09, 2009, 05:14:11 PM

That plus Subaru fans tend to be absurdly anti-change.  Any time Subaru redesigns a much-loved model it gets tons of hate from all the current owners about how badly they effed up, yet with time even the most ardent fanbois eventually realize that yeah, that new car sure is nice after all.

I'm guilty of this.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on November 09, 2009, 04:58:43 PM

Um, the old WRX is not really very stiff...at all...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on November 09, 2009, 07:00:46 PM

I believe it was 140% stiffer than the old Impreza it replaced.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on November 09, 2009, 07:00:46 PM

I'm guessing he means spring rates and shock dampening.

Pommes-T

Am I the only one who realized the old one was rated "poor" and the new one "acceptable"?

Other carmakers can build good looking cars that achieve that.

Oh and at least the wings from the SUbaru badge look the same on that old one after the crash and on the new one.
'00 BMW 523i

S204STi

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on November 10, 2009, 09:16:47 AM
Howso?

They and Hyundai were the only two automakers to show positive growth overall in 08, and this year they are up even further.  If that helps clear things up.

Legacy sales are up like 15% with this supposedly ass-ugly redesign.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on November 10, 2009, 03:08:26 PM
They and Hyundai were the only two automakers to show positive growth overall in 08, and this year they are up even further.  If that helps clear things up.

Legacy sales are up like 15% with this supposedly ass-ugly redesign.

People buy lots of ass-ugly cars. :huh:

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 10, 2009, 04:00:09 PM
People buy lots of ass-ugly cars. :huh:

Har har...  my knee is raw from slapping it. :rolleyes:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on November 10, 2009, 04:17:55 PM
Har har...  my knee is raw from slapping it. :rolleyes:

Wasn't supposed to be funny. Sales are no indication of taste.

S204STi

I just like how your taste is the gold standard. ;)

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on November 11, 2009, 01:31:51 PM
I just like how your taste is the gold standard. ;)

It isn't just my taste; the consensus in the enthusiast community seems to be that this car is ugly.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on November 11, 2009, 02:02:47 PM
It isn't just my taste; the consensus in the enthusiast community seems to be that this car is ugly.
I think the word "ugly" is heavily overused in the automotive enthusiast crowd.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on November 09, 2009, 07:04:11 PM
I believe it was 140% stiffer than the old Impreza it replaced.

What did they use for the suspension in the old one?  Pudding?  Hopes and dreams?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i