Why the new Legacy looks like that

Started by ifcar, November 09, 2009, 09:17:20 AM

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 11, 2009, 02:08:11 PM
I think the word "ugly" is heavily overused in the automotive enthusiast crowd.

I think it's criminally underused.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 11, 2009, 02:02:47 PM
It isn't just my taste; the consensus in the enthusiast community seems to be that this car is ugly.

Like that matters.  And who are enthusiasts to say a car is ugly?  I mean, it might be the opinion of some (I contend, the minority) but that doesn't mean that non-enthusiasts should bow before their almighty wisdom.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on November 11, 2009, 02:23:55 PM
Like that matters.  And who are enthusiasts to say a car is ugly?  I mean, it might be the opinion of some (I contend, the minority) but that doesn't mean that non-enthusiasts should bow before their almighty wisdom.

Being me, my opinion is all that matters.

That's how it works.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on November 11, 2009, 02:39:10 PM
Being me, my opinion is all that matters.

That's how it works.

Well I think you're full of crap. :lol:

omicron

The Exiga's simpler front-end treatment is arguably the more successful using essentially the same dimensions:

The slightly-awkward upright roofline at the rear of the car is to accommodate the third-row seating, but the creaseline and sculpting around the sills and bottom of the doors helps to reduce (but not quite eliminate) the slab-sided look of the Legacy/Outback:

Plus, I find the Exiga's black glass D-pillar treatment to be better-looking than that of the Legacy. The less-comical wheelarches, too. The smaller cut-outs for the door-handles, for that matter. And so on.

Colin

Quote from: R-inge on November 11, 2009, 02:23:55 PM
Reading a wide range of posts in the UK, such as on the Autocar Forum, I don't think the allegation of ugliness is a minority view. It would seem to be almost universal agreement.

I know beauty is in the eye of the proverbial beholder, but..........

....... to mind, there are plenty of other recent cars that fully deserve the same brickbat.  It's about time someone told all those committees that sign off such hideous new machines (Peugeot, for instance) that their latest creation is visually unpleasant. 

S204STi

Quote from: Colin on November 12, 2009, 03:11:45 AM
Reading a wide range of posts in the UK, such as on the Autocar Forum, I don't think the allegation of ugliness is a minority view. It would seem to be almost universal agreement.

I know beauty is in the eye of the proverbial beholder, but..........

....... to mind, there are plenty of other recent cars that fully deserve the same brickbat.  It's about time someone told all those committees that sign off such hideous new machines (Peugeot, for instance) that their latest creation is visually unpleasant. 

I haven't read many reviews on the car so I'll take your word for it.  Still, it's hardly ugly.  Yes, I admit my first response was, "Oh dear..."  but I find it grows on me.  That's all.  And for some twerp to insist that the only reason it's selling better is because people have crap taste is silly to me.  Clearly it isn't as bad as its made out to be if sales are actually up over the supposedly better looking predecessor.

J86

Quote from: omicron on November 11, 2009, 11:13:35 PM
The Exiga's simpler front-end treatment is arguably the more successful using essentially the same dimensions:

The slightly-awkward upright roofline at the rear of the car is to accommodate the third-row seating, but the creaseline and sculpting around the sills and bottom of the doors helps to reduce (but not quite eliminate) the slab-sided look of the Legacy/Outback:

Plus, I find the Exiga's black glass D-pillar treatment to be better-looking than that of the Legacy. The less-comical wheelarches, too. The smaller cut-outs for the door-handles, for that matter. And so on.

I like the look of this thing.  A tad bland and awkward maybe, but I generally like it.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2009, 08:24:21 AM
I haven't read many reviews on the car so I'll take your word for it.  Still, it's hardly ugly.  Yes, I admit my first response was, "Oh dear..."  but I find it grows on me.  That's all.  And for some twerp to insist that the only reason it's selling better is because people have crap taste is silly to me.  Clearly it isn't as bad as its made out to be if sales are actually up over the supposedly better looking predecessor.

Way to put words in my mouth, twerp.

To clarify, your mention of increased sales almost seemed like an implication that the car was attractive. I can agree that it might just be generic, but it sure isn't attractive. That's the same fallacy that suggests that the Camry is the best car because it has the highest sales. The argument carries no weight. Furthermore, I hardly think it is radical to suggest that the public has questionable taste in cars.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: R-inge on November 10, 2009, 03:08:26 PM
They and Hyundai were the only two automakers to show positive growth overall in 08, and this year they are up even further.  If that helps clear things up.

Legacy sales are up like 15% with this supposedly ass-ugly redesign.

Interesting, thanks for enlightening me.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 12, 2009, 09:55:10 AM
Way to put words in my mouth, twerp.

Subtract smugness from your list of personal attributes, please.  Nobody is impressed.

QuoteTo clarify, your mention of increased sales almost seemed like an implication that the car was attractive. I can agree that it might just be generic, but it sure isn't attractive. That's the same fallacy that suggests that the Camry is the best car because it has the highest sales. The argument carries no weight. Furthermore, I hardly think it is radical to suggest that the public has questionable taste in cars.

The fallacy is that you somehow have the market cornered on taste, and the fact is that people don't buy ugly cars.  The one and only reason the Aztek didn't succeed long term is because it looks like crap.  So the argument that it's selling better can in some way be predicated on looks, actually.  

:huh:

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2009, 12:48:28 PM
Subtract smugness from your list of personal attributes, please.  Nobody is impressed.

I am not really sure what your point is. You said I said something that I didn't say, followed by an unnecessary put-down.

The fallacy is that you somehow have the market cornered on taste, and the fact is that people don't buy ugly cars.  The one and only reason the Aztek didn't succeed long term is because it looks like crap.  So the argument that it's selling better can in some way be predicated on looks, actually.  

:huh:

People bought the Aztek. People buy more than just styling. In fact, I think you are the one being arrogant if you think that people buy cars solely for their styling.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 12, 2009, 12:54:18 PM
I am not really sure what your point is. You said I said something that I didn't say, followed by an unnecessary put-down.

People bought the Aztek. People buy more than just styling.

:cry:

TBR

S204STi

Bah, twerp was uncalled for on my part, it's just that your smug assertion that your taste is relevant to this discussion is annoying to me, sorry.

GoCougs

I've seen a few in the flesh, and they look better in person.

I'd like this, but the Premium trim level (i.e., no leather) for about $28k.

Inasmuch as I'm not a fan of the styling nor boxer-4s, this is my front runner for my next car.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 12, 2009, 12:56:06 PM
Way to make yourself look even more like an asshole.

Hey man, chill it.  Twerp was pretty mild.  Asshole though?  Oh boy, now you gone and done it...

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2009, 12:57:06 PM
Bah, twerp was uncalled for on my part, it's just that your smug assertion that your taste is relevant to this discussion is annoying to me, sorry.

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20429.msg1198617#msg1198617 date=1257787718
Ugly's ugly.  Don't crash.

Quote from: GoCougs on November 09, 2009, 11:05:15 AM
IMO that's not why the car is a styling mess. Subaru needs to address wheel well/wheel size ratio, dump the lower body cladding and ridiculous wheel arc, and give it a bit of a forward rake.

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 09, 2009, 11:11:34 AM
Wow.  The new car looks like the old car does after the 6 mph crash.

Quote from: Colin on November 09, 2009, 01:02:54 PM
I have to congratulate Subaru............. from offering a car that had universal respect, with the old model, they have launched a car which I have yet to see anyone in the UK say that they like. Indeed, if you read the thread on the Autocar forum, all the current owners of the old model say that they have absolutely no intention of going anywhere the latest styling goof-up.

Was their taste somehow relevant when mine wasn't it?

I don't think so.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2009, 01:00:16 PM
Hey man, chill it.  Twerp was pretty mild.  Asshole though?  Oh boy, now you gone and done it...

You provoked it, I didn't.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 12, 2009, 01:01:01 PM
Was their taste somehow relevant when mine wasn't it?

I don't think so.

I do.   :loopy:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on November 12, 2009, 01:01:38 PM
You provoked it, I didn't.

Dude, let's not get into a war of words here.  If I apologize can we move on?  The ongoing saga that is teh SPIN is a drag.

NomisR

It's entertaining.. fight fight fight....  Share some of that popcorn Nick....

:popcorn:

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CJ

CALL_911

Quote from: CJ on November 12, 2009, 07:02:46 PM
I like the new Legacy and Outback. 

Ditto, their looks have been growing on me, and they seem to be quite competent.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

the Teuton

Let's be honest, it's not that pretty, but the new Leggie is the bomb diggity.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!