If you could live anywhere in the US TODAY, where would you live?

Started by sportyaccordy, November 11, 2009, 11:50:12 AM

Payman

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2009, 07:38:51 AM
I thought you were gonna be a Newfie?

Either way, you're welcome in New Hampster, I love that place and will likely make a triumphant return someday.

I AM a Newfie... and that's where I'm moving back to. But if I HAD to live in the US, somewhere in New England or upstate NY.

Payman

For Omi, if you had to move to the US, where would you like to live?

S204STi

Quote from: Payman on November 12, 2009, 10:44:24 AM
I AM a Newfie... and that's where I'm moving back to. But if I HAD to live in the US, somewhere in New England or upstate NY.

Ah, my mistake.

93JC

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2009, 07:38:51 AM
I thought you were gonna be a Newfie?

Lard tunderin! He will always be a Newfie, b'y!

Srsly, you can't shake that shit. It's with him for life. Like herpes.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on November 12, 2009, 11:02:36 AM

I tried going to a couple Newfie bars when I was living in Calgary and Edmonton, but those people are nuts.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on November 12, 2009, 11:02:36 AM

The other gift that keeps on giving, eh?

Payman

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 12, 2009, 12:43:54 PM
I tried going to a couple Newfie bars when I was living in Calgary and Edmonton, but those people are nuts.

:rockon: :partyon:

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on November 12, 2009, 01:17:30 PM
:rockon: :partyon:

You Newfies are batshit crazy.

I dated a Newfie once.  It lasted a week before I broke it off cause I didn't understand a word she said. :lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: omicron on November 11, 2009, 11:33:25 PM
Mormons! Shriek!

We're not so bad Omi.  Come out to Utah and marry a nice Mormon girl or two. :winkguy:

I have lived and travelled across most of the US and at this point I would probably stay in Utah because I have relatives on both sides of the family out here.  I wouldn't mind moving into a more rural and wooded area though.  Utah has a wide range of recreational opportunities from skiing in the mountains, to lake boating, to exploring some amazing national parks in the desert.

Colonel Cadillac

I prefer to have seasons to deal with, so I think I would ideally live somewhere where it snows and is on the water. The Northwest and Northeast qualify under those standards. I like the East more.

Rich

Savannah, GA or about 1-2 hours west of Charlotte

I've never been in the area in red except for a short time in Vegas and a little while in San Antonio.  I'm taking a road trip next spring/summer to check out the west side of the country, and I'm sure to find some more good places:

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

NomisR

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 12, 2009, 03:36:52 PM
Come out to Utah and marry a nice Mormon girl or two. :winkguy:

or three or four... :lol:  too bad that's not allowed anymore.

Lebowski

FL.  My job is here, reasonable living expenses, reasonable taxes (no state income tax), reasonable political environment, warm weather.

Places like NYC and California are great to visit, but horrible places to live IMO.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Lebowski on November 13, 2009, 03:59:31 PM
FL.  My jobs here, reasonable living expenses, reasonable taxes (no state income tax), reasonable political environment, warm weather.

Places like NYC and California are great to visit, but horrible places to live IMO.

FL does sound pretty good...I lived in GA for 2.5 years during HS, and I always looked forward to FL road trips. And truth be told, I've toyed with the idea of looking for jobs in Atlanta for the cheap housing, but I'd rather spend a summer in Phoenix than in Atlanta.

NomisR

Quote from: Lebowski on November 13, 2009, 03:59:31 PM
FL.  My jobs here, reasonable living expenses, reasonable taxes (no state income tax), reasonable political environment, warm weather.

Horrible to live?  We're not the state with mosquitos the size of dogs and giant lizards roaming around in our backyards.  Sure our ground moves every so often and big fire, but you guys have the big bad wolf blowing your house in..

hotrodalex

I would love Cali, but it may drive me crazy after awhile. Arizona, Colorado, or the Carolinas could be cool.

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on November 13, 2009, 04:36:34 PM
Horrible to live?  We're not the state with mosquitos the size of dogs and giant lizards roaming around in our backyards.  Sure our ground moves every so often and big fire, but you guys have the big bad wolf blowing your house in..

I'm not talking about the nature, I'm talking about the people.  

California is a great place, but it's a liberal hell-hole - high taxes, unrealistic cost of living, anti-gun communist gov't with a perpetually fucked budget problem.  

If it weren't for all that, CA would be one of my top choices for places to live.  The mosquitos aren't so bad here, I remember them being bad when I was a kid but no so much now, unless you're out in the middle of nowhere.  I'd have to make probably double my current income to sustain my current standard of living in CA (same goes for NYC).  Given that trade-off, I'll take the skeeters.

J86

Quote from: Lebowski on November 13, 2009, 06:09:47 PM

I'm not talking about the nature, I'm talking about the people. 

California is a great place, but it's a liberal hell-hole - high taxes, unrealistic cost of living, anti-gun communist gov't with a perpetually fucked budget problem. 

If it weren't for all that, CA would be one of my top choices for places to live.  The mosquitos aren't so bad here, I remember them being bad when I was a kid but no so much now, unless you're out in the middle of nowhere.  I'd have to make probably double my current income to sustain my current standard of living in CA (same goes for NYC).  Given that trade-off, I'll take the skeeters.

YOu've got it all bass-ackwards :lol:

Submariner

Boston...maybe cambridge.

West Hartford is fantastic...that and Manchester Vermont. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

Young liberals still sit at coffee shops and complain about Bush... I can't wait to get out of NYC

dazzleman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 13, 2009, 08:51:02 PM
Young liberals still sit at coffee shops and complain about Bush... I can't wait to get out of NYC

I really can't stand New York City, and would rather eat glass than live there.  The fact that I work there 5 days a week is more than enough for me.

I like southern New England and can probably say that I'm currently living exactly where I want to live.  If I had more money and didn't have to work, I might have a small vacation place in South Carolina or maybe Florida and spend some time there, but I think I'd keep my primary residence here.  I also wouldn't mind spending more time in Boston and having a place there, but I don't think I'd stay there full time.  I have so many friends and family members here that I don't think it would make sense to live them all behind to go to a place where I don't know people.

Generally, unless you're completely loaded to the gills with money, I'm not a proponent of vacation homes.  For the person who can't afford a caretaker for the property, they can be a real headache and more trouble than they're worth.  I'd rather pay for a hotel or rent a condo, knowing that I can enjoy it for my time there and then leave it behind when I go without any responsibility for cleaning it up, maintaining it, etc.

There are other parts of Connecticut where I wouldn't mind living.  Litchfield is really nice, as are some of the towns up that way, if this area becomes too urbanized for my taste.

The big downside to the northeast right now is the quality of government.  Connecticut has been sliding downhill for some time now in that respect, and the only thing holding it from going totally over the abyss the way New York and New Jersey have has been our current governor Jodi Rell.  Now I find out she's not running for re-election next year, and the prospect of her not being on the scene to check our insane legislature is truly scarifying.  All those people care about is increasing spending and taxes and being lenient toward criminals.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sportyaccordy

I have chilled in NE, Rhode Island, CT.... it is very nice and scenic up there, but I have found I still like a place with some urban + multicultural roots. I find the NE outside of NYC/some parts of NJ to be very homogeneous.

I hear more and more good things about southern cities. Plus the weather is better. Only thing is for me there might not be that big of a difference in COL once I sell my car. Plus I just got a reduction on my rent + I no longer loathe the neighborhood. Outside of Clemson + Duke there aren't too many good MSM programs down there either. So IDK.

But living here and drinking the Kool Aid can definitely breed the kinds of politicians we have. Despite all its talks of diversity, politically, to me it has a frighteningly destructive one-track mindset politically, which I think will eventually knock the NE off its pedestals of wealth and desirability.

dazzleman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 14, 2009, 08:10:21 AM
I have chilled in NE, Rhode Island, CT.... it is very nice and scenic up there, but I have found I still like a place with some urban + multicultural roots. I find the NE outside of NYC/some parts of NJ to be very homogeneous.

I hear more and more good things about southern cities. Plus the weather is better. Only thing is for me there might not be that big of a difference in COL once I sell my car. Plus I just got a reduction on my rent + I no longer loathe the neighborhood. Outside of Clemson + Duke there aren't too many good MSM programs down there either. So IDK.

But living here and drinking the Kool Aid can definitely breed the kinds of politicians we have. Despite all its talks of diversity, politically, to me it has a frighteningly destructive one-track mindset politically, which I think will eventually knock the NE off its pedestals of wealth and desirability.

If the northeast doesn't wake up soon, you're right that it will be knocked off its pedestal.  People here are way too smug and arrogant, and our recent record of governance doesn't even come close to justifying that level of arrogance.

There are urban areas in New England, but most of them aren't very desirable.  There's a whole 'hip' scene in New Haven, and of course there's Boston and Providence.  But it's true that most of the cities up here are crapholes.

Out in the rural areas, it's pretty much white bread, but that's true anywhere in the country, and truthfully, it doesn't bother me personally.  The noise, disruption, crowding and crime that comes from those 'hip' and 'diverse' areas gets tiresome after a while.  It's very hard to find the right balance.

The politicians in the urban areas around here are beyond description.  Absolutely horrible and scarifying.  I don't understand their mindset at all, and clearly their approach to issues has not led to a desirable outcome and will not.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

omicron

Quote from: Payman on November 12, 2009, 10:45:53 AM
For Omi, if you had to move to the US, where would you like to live?

I'm really not sure. It would be at least as big as Adelaide (1 million) and by the ocean, and I'd like a slightly cooler climate. I don't think I'd really enjoy months of snow, but it would be nice to need a jacket more often than not rather than sweltering in late spring as is happening now. I think I'd prefer a cosmopolitan city, too, with a liveliness or vibe at ground level - outdoor malls, suburban restaurant strips, bars that open onto the street and the like. Certainly no backwards redneck Bumfuck town or hands-in-the-air evangelical commune. Oh, and nowhere that is demonstrably politically-oriented one way or another - I'd get sick of everyone saying the same thing.

Am I describing anywhere that exists?

omicron

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 12, 2009, 03:36:52 PM
We're not so bad Omi.  Come out to Utah and marry a nice Mormon girl or two. :winkguy:

I had a friend in high school whose father was a Mormon, and we did often wonder where his other families were.

:lol:

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on November 14, 2009, 10:24:13 AM
Certainly no backwards redneck Bumfuck town or hands-in-the-air evangelical commune.
The entire US is a hands-in-the-air evangelical commune...except Vegas.

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 12, 2009, 12:43:54 PM
Yes, but in a nice way.

I'm convinced, back in the '60s when so many Newfies came down to Toronto for work, they were solely responsible for Toronto losing it's reputation as "Toronto the good". :cheers:  It's too bad they all went back home :(.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 14, 2009, 10:28:03 AM
The entire US is a hands-in-the-air evangelical commune...except Vegas.

Oh dear. I'd have to commit violent atrocities, then.

dazzleman

Quote from: omicron on November 14, 2009, 10:24:13 AM
I'm really not sure. It would be at least as big as Adelaide (1 million) and by the ocean, and I'd like a slightly cooler climate. I don't think I'd really enjoy months of snow, but it would be nice to need a jacket more often than not rather than sweltering in late spring as is happening now. I think I'd prefer a cosmopolitan city, too, with a liveliness or vibe at ground level - outdoor malls, suburban restaurant strips, bars that open onto the street and the like. Certainly no backwards redneck Bumfuck town or hands-in-the-air evangelical commune. Oh, and nowhere that is demonstrably politically-oriented one way or another - I'd get sick of everyone saying the same thing.

Am I describing anywhere that exists?

Probably some place in California.  I don't think you find that within your climate specifications on the east coast.  It would either be too hot or too cold for you.

dazzleman