Cars you hated, but now adore!

Started by 2o6, November 11, 2009, 03:07:32 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2009, 07:40:56 AM
Ford Ranger.  For reelz.

+1.

Quote from: the Teuton on November 11, 2009, 03:26:57 PM
BMW 6 Series...the new one.

Really? I'm the other way with 6ers. I loved them when they came out, but I grew to think that they're ugly and horribly overpriced. I never have figured out why the 650i cost 18 grand more than a 550i, other than "6" is a higher number than "5".

sportyaccordy

Yea used 5 series prices are about where they need to be for both the 5 and the 6. I like the 6 but don't understand why it costs more either.

Vinsanity

I used to loathe the Honda Element. Until I sat in one. Perfect car for poking around in traffic.

I also used to think it a shame for the Mazda 5 not to have a more powerful engine. But in spite of that, I'd love to rock one as a family ride.

I also don't mind VW's as much as I used to.

Xer0

I used to shake my head at the ZDX and TL but I've almost recently warmed up to them. Not adore, but I don't think they are that bad.

I've had a complete reversal on the Mazda 6 though.  I used to think it looked fantastic but the more I see it, especially those hideous triangle exhaust pipes that aren't connected to anything, the more I dislike it.

And this one I am slightly ashamed of, but I think the Toyota Venza looks great.

Onslaught

Payman

I used to hate the '94-'98 generation Mustang. But since I got one for a sweet deal, I've come to like its performance, simplicity, and clean design.

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on November 12, 2009, 01:38:02 PM
Still in my top 5 of hate.

I guess having to work on them takes the novelty away.

SVT666

I didn't hate it, but I was very indifferent to the Audi R8, but now I absolutely lust over it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Payman on November 12, 2009, 01:48:37 PM
I used to hate the '94-'98 generation Mustang. But since I got one for a sweet deal, I've come to like its performance, simplicity, and clean design.

Yea I would have no problem playing with a 96+ Cobra for a year or two

Eye of the Tiger

I never would have called that a clean design. More like frumpy, bulbous, and horribly inefficient. Definitely one of the ugliest cars ever made.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on November 15, 2009, 05:52:48 PM
I never would have called that a clean design. More like frumpy, bulbous, and horribly inefficient. Definitely one of the ugliest cars ever made.
:nono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCebg-psTpk&feature=fvw

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 15, 2009, 08:09:20 PM
:nono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCebg-psTpk&feature=fvw

The fact that they are as ugly as an Aztek doesn't mean I don't like them; I almost bought one a few years ago.

SVT666

I whole heartedly disagree that they're ugly.  I've had two from that generation and I really like the looks of them.  Especially the Cobra and Cobra R.

BimmerM3

When they first came out, I thought they were way over-styled. I'm not really sure how they drive, but I think they're great looking cars, particularly sans-spoiler.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 15, 2009, 09:30:12 PM
I whole heartedly disagree that they're ugly.  I've had two from that generation and I really like the looks of them.  Especially the Cobra and Cobra R.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the giant Mustang troll.

the Teuton

I wouldn't say I adore them, but I have much more praise for the PT Cruiser now then when they came out. The seats are flat and hard, but the car got almost everything else right when it came to packaging.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Those look okay, except the V6 models (I assume you don't have a V6). The V6 Mustangs of that era look cheap and shitty.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

They also had the most gutless 160 hp engine of that decade.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on November 15, 2009, 09:45:28 PM
I wouldn't expect anything less from the giant Mustang troll.
There are plenty of Mustangs that I can't stand and that I actually downright hate, but the '94-'98 are not one of them.  The only Fox body Mustang I like is the 5.0L LX notchback, otherwise I can't stand any of them.  I also don't like any Mustangs from 1973-1987.

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 15, 2009, 10:00:23 PM
Those look okay, except the V6 models (I assume you don't have a V6). The V6 Mustangs of that era look cheap and shitty.
I agree. The V6 looked and drove really bad.

Submariner

"The new interior is nothing short of a design triumph"

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

They were either on a Heroin drip or taking serious cash payouts for that kind of sentiment.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Quote from: Submariner on November 16, 2009, 11:03:06 AM

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

They were either on a Heroin drip or taking serious cash payouts for that kind of sentiment.

Except for the shifter location, the interior was excellent.  The ergonomics were great.  The materials were lacking, but what car did have good materials back then?

Raza

Current Lexus IS comes to mind.  Last generation Mustang, too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

The Touran. I couldn't stand it at first.

Now I think it's understated looks are about best in class.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

The V6 Mustang wasn't super fast, but the torque was more than decent. It pulled pretty hard at low RPMs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 16, 2009, 09:10:35 AM
There are plenty of Mustangs that I can't stand and that I actually downright hate, but the '94-'98 are not one of them.  The only Fox body Mustang I like is the 5.0L LX notchback, otherwise I can't stand any of them.  I also don't like any Mustangs from 1973-1987.

That's like, after being accused of being a giant Star Wars nerd, saying that there are some Star Wars things you don't like, and then citing Episodes I-III. Like, no duh! :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: Submariner on November 16, 2009, 11:03:06 AM

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Compared to the Fox body interior, it was a step up.  I always found it pretty attrocious, particularly the steering wheel that looked like it had been lifted straight out of a Taurus.  The interior in my cousin's '94 Celica was lightyears better than what was in the '94-'99 Mustang.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 16, 2009, 08:17:17 PM
Compared to the Fox body interior, it was a step up.  I always found it pretty attrocious, particularly the steering wheel that looked like it had been lifted straight out of a Taurus.  The interior in my cousin's '94 Celica was lightyears better than what was in the '94-'99 Mustang.

How many pieces of huge chunky creaky plastic can they fit into one two door coupe? A lot.

Gotta-Qik-C7

The V6 Mustangs of that era look cheap and shitty.
That could be said of every V6 'Stang from '73-04!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide