Cars you hated, but now adore!

Started by 2o6, November 11, 2009, 03:07:32 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on November 16, 2009, 08:59:06 PM
That could be said of every V6 'Stang from '73-04!

I don't know what these guys are talking about with just the V6 models looking shitty. Last time I checked, they looked the same as the V8's, sans tacky spoilers and big wheels.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on November 16, 2009, 08:59:06 PM
That could be said of every V6 'Stang from '73-04!

Yeah, no doubt. Hell, even now, a V6 Mustang just exudes some sort of shittiness, IMO.

Camaros have been the same way, at least before the 2010 Camaro.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on November 16, 2009, 09:06:17 PM
I don't know what these guys are talking about with just the V6 models looking shitty. Last time I checked, they looked the same as the V8's, sans tacky spoilers and big wheels.

BUT THE BADGEZ!!1!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

omicron

They look fantastic on the road, are apparently quite good to drive, and the interior is luxuriously comfortable. I'd fallen into the trap of dismissing the hot Aurions for a sporting Falcon or Commodore instead, but these days I've warmed to them.

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 16, 2009, 09:10:35 AM
There are plenty of Mustangs that I can't stand and that I actually downright hate, but the '94-'98 are not one of them.  The only Fox body Mustang I like is the 5.0L LX notchback, otherwise I can't stand any of them.  I also don't like any Mustangs from 1973-1987.

No Mustang Ghia for you?

Good god, I want that car!

ChrisV

None. I've never hated a car, as no matter what the car, there are always things that can be done with it to make it fun.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

93JC

We never would have guessed, Chris.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 93JC on November 17, 2009, 09:32:24 AM
We never would have guessed, Chris.
The pic of House + this quote pretty much sum up my thoughts on Chris' response.

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on November 17, 2009, 09:30:01 AM
None. I've never hated a car, as no matter what the car, there are always things that can be done with it to make it fun.

Probably true, but I think the question implied what car did you hate in it's stock configuration.

I can't think of any I really hated either.  But I can think of many I didn't want and would have been disappointed to own.

93JC

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 17, 2009, 11:11:51 AM
The pic of House + this quote pretty much sum up my thoughts on Chris' response.

SVT32V

Quote from: MX793 on November 16, 2009, 08:17:17 PM
Compared to the Fox body interior, it was a step up.  I always found it pretty attrocious, particularly the steering wheel that looked like it had been lifted straight out of a Taurus.  The interior in my cousin's '94 Celica was lightyears better than what was in the '94-'99 Mustang.

And you got a fwd 4 cyl.  Since it is so slow you will want a nice interior, you will be spending a good bit of time trying to get up to highway speeds. 

SVT32V

Quote from: MX793 on November 16, 2009, 08:17:17 PM
Compared to the Fox body interior, it was a step up.  I always found it pretty attrocious, particularly the steering wheel that looked like it had been lifted straight out of a Taurus.  The interior in my cousin's '94 Celica was lightyears better than what was in the '94-'99 Mustang.

This doesn't seem much better and this is the turbo model

vs

ChrisV

Quote from: Byteme on November 17, 2009, 11:13:21 AM
Probably true, but I think the question implied what car did you hate in it's stock configuration.

I can't think of any I really hated either.  But I can think of many I didn't want and would have been disappointed to own.

Well, yeah, that's an entirely different question, now isnt' it? ;)

I just found that there's more cars I like than I could ever own, so I simply found it unnecesary to hate any. Since I can't even own most of the cars I like, hating cars is pointless.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 16, 2009, 09:44:01 PM
Yeah, no doubt. Hell, even now, a V6 Mustang just exudes some sort of shittiness, IMO.

Camaros have been the same way, at least before the 2010 Camaro.
It the wheels in the later models. The mock tops and plastic wheel covers are the cause on earlier models.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Tave

Quote from: ChrisV on November 17, 2009, 02:09:18 PM
Well, yeah, that's an entirely different question, now isnt' it? ;)

No. Everyone on the board, except you, knew that was the question being asked.

"Which cars did you hate even after modifying them so that you would like them?"

Now THAT'S an entirely different question, isn't it? ;)
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on November 17, 2009, 02:57:54 PM

"Which cars did you hate even after modifying them so that you would like them?"

Now THAT'S an entirely different question, isn't it? ;)

Swift

MX793

Quote from: SVT32V on November 17, 2009, 12:59:14 PM
And you got a fwd 4 cyl.  Since it is so slow you will want a nice interior, you will be spending a good bit of time trying to get up to highway speeds. 

140 hp and well under 3000 lbs.  They weren't fast, but they were hardly slow either.  I'd wager it would outrun a V6 Mustang of the same vintage.

Quote from: SVT32V on November 17, 2009, 01:03:21 PM
This doesn't seem much better and this is the turbo model

vs

Nice job finding a professionally taken Mustang photo (of the highest end Mustang) vs an amateur photo of a used Celica with non-stock interior bits (hint, all US market cars had airbags in '94).  My uncle had a '94 or '95 Mustang at around the same time as my cousin had the Celica.  I spent time in both.  IMO, the Celica was a nicer place to be.  The plastics didn't have that semi-glossy appearance you see on Fisher-price playsets.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

I think I have the same steering wheel in my Explorer...

Minpin

Quote from: Psilos on November 17, 2009, 08:46:05 PM
I think I have the same steering wheel in my Explorer...

You sound surprised?  :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

omicron

What makes it even worse is that that interior made it right through until 2003. The Ford Australia-converted RHD example I sat in at a motor show a few years back was quite alarming for its dreadful material and build quality.

ChrisV

Quote from: Tave on November 17, 2009, 02:57:54 PM

No, I answered the question asked. You just can't comprehend the answer.

Tave

lol

Let me phrase the question in a way that might make it easier to understand, since apparently the word "hate" has you all bent out of shape.

"Which cars have you become more interested in than you were when they were released?"

Or,

"Which cars did you ignore when they were released, but now you really like?"

Or,

"Which cars do you like now that you didn't like very much when they were released?"
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Laconian

The old Renault Megane and the current Renault Scenic. I kept thinking "WTF" when I played it in on Gran Turismo and read about it in Evo. After spending some time in France I really started to dig the new shapes.

I'm sad that Renault has backed off on the weird design language.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Hated it when it first came out, but roughly 2 weeks after first seeing pictures of it, I fell in love.

Tave

^^^^^My neighbor has one. His girlfriend drives a CooperS. Awesome couple. :rockon: