Where in Canada would you live?

Started by Payman, November 12, 2009, 04:04:06 PM

Your company sends you north, but you can choose which provincial office to work from. Where would you go?

British Columbia
10 (50%)
Alberta
0 (0%)
Saskatchewan
0 (0%)
Manitoba
0 (0%)
Ontario
4 (20%)
Quebec
3 (15%)
New Brunswick
0 (0%)
Prince Edward Island
0 (0%)
Nova Scotia
1 (5%)
Newfoundland & Labrador
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 17

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2009, 07:23:25 PM
Hey, I'd probably run into a polar bear at the bar. I'd pay $8 to have a beer with a polar bear and a penguin or two.

Pengrins are just like Chickens...........oh wait. You don't eat meat.

Snow is quite filling, I've heard.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on November 12, 2009, 07:24:23 PM

Pengrins are just like Chickens...........oh wait. You don't eat meat.

Snow is quite filling, I've heard.

Pengrins are like chickens? I guess I'll have to take your word for it. :huh:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2009, 07:27:08 PM

Penguins, my son.

Payman

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2009, 07:27:08 PM

Actually, like any marine bird, it prolly tastes fishy.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on November 12, 2009, 07:31:45 PM
Actually, like any marine bird, it prolly tastes fishy.
...and it lives in the Antarctic.

Payman

sportyaccordy

Toronto

I think that's where the black people are.

Actually I've seen Canada's blacks... I would just live wherever is the warmest.

Payman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 12, 2009, 07:57:53 PM
Toronto

I think that's where the black people are.

Actually I've seen Canada's blacks... I would just live wherever is the warmest.

Halifax, Nova Scotia has a significant black population as well. This was an important entry point for those escaping slavery in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Minpin

BC or PEI. Really loved Vancouver though so went with BC.

Canada has some really nice locales all throughout though, nicer than the stigma it gets of igloos and big brown bears.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

3.0L V6

The problem with this poll is that each province is pretty diverse. In most of the provinces, there's everything from the big-city lifestyle (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax) to mid-size cities to remote areas. The only real change in climate is when you get far out west in BC, as the rest of Canada has pretty similar climate - you get all 4 seasons - but just how harsh these seasons are is the main difference. There's a bit of cultural difference on the east vs. central vs. Quebec vs. west, but for the most part, people are friendly.

I'd likely live in Ontario, simply because my family is here and there's plenty to do. If you want to attend an event or an attraction, there's big cities like Ottawa and Toronto to go to. If you're into nature, you can live in northern Ontario for skiing, camping and snowmobiling. If you want to go to the northeastern US, it's not a far drive to major cities. Also, my French is atrocious, so the belle province is out of the running. I'd definitely consider BC or Alberta second though.

The culture of Ontario can be dependent on the place you live in - some people in Toronto think that Canada revolves around them, while people in Ottawa think that the center of the universe lies at Parliament Hill. Or you can live in redneck infested places such as Sudbury or Thunder Bay. Or you can do the rural town lifestyle in much of southern/central Ontario.

The only downside to living in Ontario is that the government is trying to do its best to ruin the economy. So, if it's a job you're interested in procuring, well...maybe a drive out west might be an idea. Maybe they'll fix that next election.

The Pirate

I've never really spent any time visiting Canada (it's on my list), but at this point, I'd probably say Newfoundland.  I love the northern Atlantic (spent lots of time on the coast in Maine), I love snow, and I generally don't care for people.  :tounge:

Close second would be the area of BC near Hemi's home.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2009, 07:23:25 PM
Hey, I'd probably run into a polar bear at the bar. I'd pay $8 to have a beer with a polar bear and a penguin or two.

There are no penguins in Canada, except in zoos. Ditto the U.S. And all of the northern hemisphere.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CALL_911

Quote from: Psilos on November 12, 2009, 08:53:57 PM
There are no penguins in Canada, except in zoos. Ditto the U.S. And all of the northern hemisphere.

In that case, fuck Nunavut. BC it is.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Minpin

You lie. I saw a muthafuggin penguin fly by when I was in Alaska. Learn your facts you hippy feminist.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

Quote from: Minpin on November 12, 2009, 09:04:21 PM
You lie. I saw a muthafuggin penguin fly by when I was in Alaska. Learn your facts you hippy feminist.

... Penguins don't fly. That was a puffin. ;)

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

Quote from: Payman on November 12, 2009, 04:56:15 PM
True, that. I did put up a pretty stunning pic of Calgary though.  :ohyeah:

Pretty old picture, actually. Mid '90s, I think.

FoMoJo

I'm pretty content where I am now.  Far enough away from the GTA so as to avoid the urban squalor yet, close enough should we want to partake of the niceties.  There are many places in Canada where I would like to spend some time, both coastal regions especially but, for the time being, I like it right here.

Lake with wetlands close by and decent fishing...

Quaint Victoria era town just up the road...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

Did Payman forget about Yukon, NW Territories, and Nunavut?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

dazzleman

In Canada, I'd live either in the vicinity of Vancouver or Toronto.

I also love Montreal, but I don't speak French very well.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT666

Quote from: dazzleman on November 14, 2009, 07:54:28 AM
In Canada, I'd live either in the vicinity of Vancouver or Toronto.

I also love Montreal, but I don't speak French very well.
You don't need to speak French to live in Montreal.  50% of the population speaks English as a first language and the other half speaks English very well as a second language.  I know people who grew up in Montreal and don't speak any French at all...which I think is deplorable, but it goes to show you don't need to speak French to live there.

I don't think I would complain too much if I found myself in cottage country in Ontario.  It's pretty gorgeous out there.

dazzleman

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 14, 2009, 10:15:43 AM
You don't need to speak French to live in Montreal.  50% of the population speaks English as a first language and the other half speaks English very well as a second language.  I know people who grew up in Montreal and don't speak any French at all...which I think is deplorable, but it goes to show you don't need to speak French to live there.

I don't think I would complain too much if I found myself in cottage country in Ontario.  It's pretty gorgeous out there.

I'm sure I could learn French to some degree, but at this stage of the game, I'd be more comfortable to just be in an English-speaking area.  Even in Montreal, I would guess that inability to speak French is limiting, especially if you want to go out of the city.  It's a great area to visit, but I'd live near Vancouver or Toronto if I were to live in Canada.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on November 12, 2009, 04:50:53 PM
This thread won't get many interesting responses. I predict the vast majority will answer BC or Ontario, simply because they don't know much about anywhere else.

What are the alternatives? Canadian-equivalent Bumfuck, eh?

omicron

Penguins are cute! :wub:

The penguin parade on Phillip Island near Melbourne is remarkable - hundreds of the dear things scurrying out of the ocean and up into their burrows.

SVT666

Quote from: dazzleman on November 14, 2009, 10:21:13 AM
I'm sure I could learn French to some degree, but at this stage of the game, I'd be more comfortable to just be in an English-speaking area.  Even in Montreal, I would guess that inability to speak French is limiting, especially if you want to go out of the city.  It's a great area to visit, but I'd live near Vancouver or Toronto if I were to live in Canada.
There are parts of Montreal, like the West island, where you barely hear French being spoken at all, but going anywhere else in Quebec, knowing French is a very good idea.  However, Montreal is just 30 minutes from the Ontario border, so English isn't far away.

dazzleman

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 14, 2009, 10:35:13 AM
There are parts of Montreal, like the West island, where you barely hear French being spoken at all, but going anywhere else in Quebec, knowing French is a very good idea.  However, Montreal is just 30 minutes from the Ontario border, so English isn't far away.

I actually love Montreal.  It's the city in North America that has the most European feel.  I loved Vancouver when I visited it also, and the area around it is really beautiful.  There are so many great places in the world.

Tave

Quote from: dazzleman on November 14, 2009, 10:40:50 AM
There are so many great places in the world.

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in."

Gag me, Dave.  :rolleyes: :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on November 14, 2009, 11:38:06 AM

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in."

Gag me, Dave.  :rolleyes: :lol:

Hardy har har, Tim.... :ohyeah:

Pancor

I've lived on the shores of Southern Georgian Bay my whole life and really couldn't ever permanently leave the area!

Beautiful Penetanguishene:

S204STi

Wow, that's gorgeous.  Whereabouts is that again?