The Ford Fusion is Motor Trend magazine's car of the year

Started by Byteme, November 17, 2009, 12:24:18 PM

GoCougs

Ugh at solid rear axlists...

What next, drum brakes and leaf springs???

Eye of the Tiger

The Fusion would be better with a leaf sprung live rear axle with drum brakes.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

Quote from: NACar on November 26, 2009, 04:26:01 PM
The Fusion would be better with a leaf sprung live rear axle with drum brakes.

I agree, it's time to return to the hump in the rear floor.  There was no reason to get rid of it in the first place.   It was fun.

2o6

Quote from: Catman on November 26, 2009, 04:28:11 PM
I agree, it's time to return to the hump in the rear floor.  There was no reason to get rid of it in the first place.   It was fun.

Unrelated, but since most cars today are FWD, and modern suspension is less intrusive and better handling, why is that hump still there?

93JC

Good place to put the exhaust, brake lines, handbrake cables, blah blah blah.

Catman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 26, 2009, 04:31:58 PM

Unrelated, but since most cars today are FWD, and modern suspension is less intrusive and better handling, why is that hump still there?

We're talking about reintroducing the hump by installing a live rear axle in the Fusion.  How about learning how to read?

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Quote from: Catman on November 26, 2009, 04:42:12 PM
We're talking about reintroducing the hump by installing a live rear axle in the Fusion.  How about learning how to read?

You misinterpreted what I was asking.

Cars today still have that hump. Why? (93JC answered it)

Catman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 26, 2009, 04:44:04 PM

You misinterpreted what I was asking.

Cars today still have that hump. Why? (93JC answered it)

I'm talking about big old humps not the little inadequate humps in modern cars.

2o6

Quote from: Catman on November 26, 2009, 04:45:04 PM
I'm talking about big old humps not the little inadequate humps in modern cars.

It's big enough.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 26, 2009, 04:23:26 PM
Ugh at solid rear axlists...

What next, drum brakes and leaf springs???

At a loss for words?  You're losing the argument.  I'm not saying a live axle is superior, but if it's really that bad, why does the Mustang outhandle and have better ride quality then the Camaro?

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 26, 2009, 05:25:45 PM
At a loss for words?  You're losing the argument.  I'm not saying a live axle is superior, but if it's really that bad, why does the Mustang outhandle and have better ride quality then the Camaro?

I do not believe you.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 26, 2009, 05:25:45 PM
At a loss for words?  You're losing the argument.  I'm not saying a live axle is superior, but if it's really that bad, why does the Mustang outhandle and have better ride quality then the Camaro?

You rest your jihad on an incorrect comparison betwixt two cars?

No one else does it. Does this help?

omicron

The Falcon ute (and wagon, for that matter, assuming anyone has bought one?) still has a live rear axle and leaf springs.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 26, 2009, 07:37:28 PM
You rest your jihad on an incorrect comparison betwixt two cars?

No one else does it. Does this help?
Wow.  Great argument.  There's only one problem with it: it doesn't explain why the Mustang out handles, rides better, and goes through the slalom substantially faster then the Camaro.

GoCougs

Quote from: omicron on November 27, 2009, 06:12:17 AM
The Falcon ute (and wagon, for that matter, assuming anyone has bought one?) still has a live rear axle and leaf springs.

FordAU correct?

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 27, 2009, 09:22:43 AM
Wow.  Great argument.  There's only one problem with it: it doesn't explain why the Mustang out handles, rides better, and goes through the slalom substantially faster then the Camaro.

Ugh - sometimes this forum and its anecdotes...

That the Camaro's 6.2L pooprod V8 utterly towers over the Mustang's 4.6L DOHC V8 says what exactly about pooprod engines? Pooprod engines are still outdated, inferior technology that no one else builds but (failing) Chrylser.

Does this help?

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 27, 2009, 10:27:57 AM

That the Camaro's 6.2L pooprod V8 utterly towers over the Mustang's 4.6L DOHC V8 says what exactly about pooprod engines? Pooprod engines are still outdated, inferior technology that no one else builds but (failing) Chrylser.

Does this help?

No because pushrod engines are actually still viable and very good.  It's an engine technology that is only considered inferior because some Europeans said so.  Yes it's inferior on inline 4s, but with V8s or even V10s (in Dodge's case) they have been proven to be just as good or better then their OHC competition.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on November 27, 2009, 10:27:57 AM

Does this help?

I would sure as hell hope that a 6.2L V8 would have more power than a 4.6.

Also, in regards to your other comment, the Camaro doesn't ride as good as the Mustang or drive as good.  I'VE DRIVEN BOTH.  I'D KNOW.

CALL_911

While I may be talking in a vacuum, I really did like the Camaro. Yeah, it did lack some steering feel, but it was pretty comfortable (my Dad and I did 1500 miles in like a week with the SS we rented), and it was quite quick. The engine sounded great as well, just not as loud as I would have liked.

It handled quite well and those were some of the best brakes I had ever used.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on November 27, 2009, 10:21:12 AM
FordAU correct?

Yes indeed - the rear half of the Falcon wagon and ute are essentially 1998 AU Falcons. Ford will, of course, slap me with baguettes and such for suggesting these things, but only the Falcon sedan received IRS in '98 (with an all-new version in 2002 and a significant upgrade in 2008).

It reminds me of the Falcon commercial range well into the '90s - the rear end of a 1978 Falcon Ute looks the same as one from 1997.

Vinsanity

Wouldn't it make sense for the Ute and Wagon to have rear leaf springs? Aren't they better for hauling cargo and whatnot?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on November 18, 2009, 11:44:15 AM
In a relative sense there are a number of cars more deserving IMO; Camaro, 370, Genesis Coupe, and Legacy being the short list IMO.
Within the context of today's landscape none of those cars are as important or good as the Fusion.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 28, 2009, 10:23:59 AM
Wouldn't it make sense for the Ute and Wagon to have rear leaf springs? Aren't they better for hauling cargo and whatnot?
The Dodge Ram doesn't have leaf springs, so I would safely assume they could get away with not having any.

Raza

Hi.  I'm not an engineer.

Can someone explain to me what's so bad about leaf springs? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20492.msg1212774#msg1212774 date=1259479122

Nothing other than packaging.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on November 29, 2009, 12:18:42 AM

On a leaf spring solid axle setup, the axle is located by springs rather than solid links. The axle is allowed to wobble and bounce around because the springs are the only thing holding it in place.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 29, 2009, 08:57:53 AM
On a leaf spring solid axle setup, the axle is located by springs rather than solid links. The axle is allowed to wobble and bounce around because the springs are the only thing holding it in place.
Maybe on a Model T; but things did get a bit better afterwards.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."