The Ford Fusion is Motor Trend magazine's car of the year

Started by Byteme, November 17, 2009, 12:24:18 PM

GoCougs

Yes, lateral stiffness is a major issue with leaf springs, as is unsprung weight, wheel travel, packaging, and sufficiently wide range of variable rate.

2o6

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on November 29, 2009, 03:21:50 PM
Why don't all cars use independent suspension?

A beam axle can act as an anti-roll bar. For cheap cars, it also keeps costs down without hurting maneuverability too much. Why not keep them on cars that don't need anything more advanced?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Camber change when the suspension is loaded is undesirable.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 29, 2009, 02:09:52 PM
Maybe on a Model T; but things did get a bit better afterwards.

What do you mean? Unwanted movement is the number 1 problem with an axle located with leaf springs. That's why drag racers use ladder bars and multilink setups.

GoCougs

With a FWD chassis at least, the transmission and differential are one and the same plus we know that the engine bolts to the transmission; so in effect to have a non-independent FWD chassis, the engine, transmission and differential would have to act as a suspension member. This would not be good on all sorts of levels, plus it'd probably cost more.

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on November 29, 2009, 03:25:33 PM
A beam axle can act as an anti-roll bar. For cheap cars, it also keeps costs down without hurting maneuverability too much. Why not keep them on cars that don't need anything more advanced?

Torsion beam is different from a live/dead beam axle.  A torsion beam rear suspension is not a beam axle (as the beam does not run along the axle) and it is not non-independant.  It's technically classed as an independant suspension since the left and rear wheels can move independantly (although "semi-independant" might be a more appropriate name for it).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

With leaf springs the wheels also move for and aft a little bit while spring are being compressed.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on November 29, 2009, 08:28:17 PM
With leaf springs the wheels also move for and aft a little bit while spring are being compressed.

Same could be said of a trailing or semi-trailing arm suspension.  Or just about any motorcycle suspension or many airbag suspensions in heavy trucks (possibly some cars as well).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 29, 2009, 03:29:36 PM
What do you mean? Unwanted movement is the number 1 problem with an axle located with leaf springs. That's why drag racers use ladder bars and multilink setups.
I just meant that their was a bit more to securing a live axle than leaf springs, as per this image of the 2010 Mustang...

Even with leaf springs there is, at least a Panhard rod to keep the axle from shifting.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Nethead

There is an engineering term used to describe a phenomenom that is one of the chief reasons racecars replaced leaf springs with coil springs.  A coil spring can return an axle to its original position much, much faster than either longitudinal leaf springs or transverse leaf springs.  Carroll Shelby insisted upon replacing the transverse leaf springs in the Cobra with coil springs when the decision was made to replace the 289 with the 427 for this reason.  If a track irregularity deflects an axle (or half-shaft, if you will) suspended by coil springs, the coil springs will return the axle to its pre-deflected position much faster than leaf springs.  We're talking tiny fractions of a second, but racecars and many street cars can travel a very long distance in a tiny fraction of a second--at 205 MPH, for example, a vehicle covers more than the length of a football field every second.  That's over twenty yards in a fifth of a second, which is a very short period of time but would be a long distance to have a tire out of full contact with the road surface.  The engineering term is not "recovery speed" but that's essentially what it is in practical application--how quickly a spring can return a displaced axle/half-shaft to its original position.  It is one reason why some leaf-springed vehicles get squirrelly as they approach their cornering limits.  Aerodynamics and other factors are involved at high speed, too, but there it is...
So many stairs...so little time...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 30, 2009, 08:56:15 AM
I just meant that their was a bit more to securing a live axle than leaf springs, as per this image of the 2010 Mustang...

Even with leaf springs there is, at least a Panhard rod to keep the axle from shifting.

Huh?

The Mustang uses a multilink coil spring setup. That is not the leaf spring setup that I'm talking about.

I've never seen a panhard rod on a standard leaf sprung axle. Every truck rear suspension I've seen has used two leaf springs to locate the axle.

:huh:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 30, 2009, 07:33:14 PM
Huh?

The Mustang uses a multilink coil spring setup. That is not the leaf spring setup that I'm talking about.

I've never seen a panhard rod on a standard leaf sprung axle. Every truck rear suspension I've seen has used two leaf springs to locate the axle.

Slapper bars!

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on November 30, 2009, 07:19:07 PM

That thing uses leaf springs, right?

Had it not been a legacy dating back to the 1963 C2 it would not exist today.

Betcha the C7 does not use leaf springs...

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2009, 08:06:22 PM
Had it not been a legacy dating back to the 1963 C2 it would not exist today.

Betcha the C7 does not use leaf springs...

The C2 uses coil springs in the front. The C6 uses a transverse leaf in the front.

Are you suggesting that GM decided to go backwards just to make the car worse?

GoCougs

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 30, 2009, 08:14:50 PM
The C2 uses coil springs in the front. The C6 uses a transverse leaf in the front.

Are you suggesting that GM decided to go backwards just to make the car worse?

There would absolutely be no leaf spring transverse or otherwise in the C6 had it not been in the Corvette since 1963.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2009, 08:29:00 PM
There would absolutely be no leaf spring transverse or otherwise in the C6 had it not been in the Corvette since 1963.

Yes, and the Impala would not be RWD had it not been RWD since 195... oh wait, nevermind.
Needs more Jiggawatts

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2009, 08:29:00 PM

Shouldn't it just have the leaf spring in the back then? Why doesn't it still use coil springs in the front?

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on November 30, 2009, 08:31:11 PM
Yes, and the Impala would not be RWD had it not been RWD since 195... oh wait, nevermind.

Yet the Impala's stable mate over the years, the Caprice, has always been RWD no matter where it pops up...

The 911 today would never, ever be rear-engined had it not started that way decades ago. It's an inherently flawed design that no other automaker today would ever attempt - not even Porsche.

GoCougs

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 30, 2009, 08:38:24 PM
Shouldn't it just have the leaf spring in the back then? Why doesn't it still use coil springs in the front?

Economies of scale I imagine.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2009, 11:13:59 PM
Yet the Impala's stable mate over the years, the Caprice, has always been RWD no matter where it pops up...

The 911 today would never, ever be rear-engined had it not started that way decades ago. It's an inherently flawed design that no other automaker today would ever attempt - not even Porsche.

The RR configuration of the 911 is a bit different from leaf springs on the Vette.  The driveline configuration is a defining trait of the 911.  It's responsible for the way the 911 looks and the unique way it handles.  The Vette isn't going to look or drive appreciably different if they switched to coil springs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2009, 11:15:24 PM
Economies of scale I imagine.

What?

The springs are the same front and rear? If economies of scale applied here, shouldn't GM just have used coil springs like every other car they make?

Nethead

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 01, 2009, 09:37:19 AM
What?

The springs are the same front and rear? If economies of scale applied here, shouldn't GM just have used coil springs like every other car they make?

280Z Turbo:  It's BlowCougs logic :nutty:.  Straight people wouldn't understand...

Nethead

Huh?

280Z Turbo:  Some really slick ORVs use panhard bars on their rear leaf springs because they use one-directional hinges to connect the axles to the leaf springs--and get improved droop as a result.  There may be ORVs (mostly Jeeps, I expect) that use this same panhard-bar-plus-leaf-springs setup in their front suspensions, although the Nethead here has never seen an example of it.  Without that panhard bar, the pucker factor might rise exponentially on hinged leafs...

The current-year Ram pickups use coil springs in the rear, which improves the ride but cuts the payload considerably.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 01, 2009, 04:16:34 AM
The RR configuration of the 911 is a bit different from leaf springs on the Vette.  The driveline configuration is a defining trait of the 911.  It's responsible for the way the 911 looks and the unique way it handles.  The Vette isn't going to look or drive appreciably different if they switched to coil springs.

Yes, more endemic to the 911 brand than springs, but the point was that both would not exist if but for being a legacy throwback.

GoCougs

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 01, 2009, 09:37:19 AM
What?

Economies of scale also apply to design and assembly $$$.

If it was such a cool/cheap/awesome/whatever technology, lots of other automakers would be doing it. Like the rear-engined 911, no one else does it, and for good reason.

FoMoJo

Huh?

Yeah, I wasn't really sure why the Mustang suspension and leaf springs were being discussed; just wanted to clarify it for those who thought the new Mustang had leaf springs.

As for a Panhard rod, it's been around for a long time; even though it wasn't used on a number of earlier applications.  Even the Muscle cars, generally, only used a sway bar.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."