Toyota recalls Tundras over rusty frame

Started by SVT666, November 24, 2009, 05:56:09 PM

SVT666

Toyota recalls Tundras over rusty frames
11/24/2009, 6:15 PMBY ANDREW GANZ

Toyota confirmed today that it will recall about 110,000 of its 2000-2003 Tundra pickups registered in northern states due to excessive corrosion on the rear frame crossmember. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is recommending that all owners of affected Tundras remove their spare tires mounted to the crossmember.

?Excessive corrosion due to road salts can cause the rear cross-member of the vehicle frame to fail and allow the spare tire to fall onto the roadway at any time, creating a road hazard for other vehicles,? NHTSA said.

The automaker will release more details about the recall soon. It comes after a highly-publicized series of owner complaints stemming from badly rusted late-model Tundra pickups.

The Tundras will be recalled in 20 East Coast and Midwestern states that make heavy use of road salts and other corrosive de-icing methods. The 20 states, plus the District of Columbia, include: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The automaker will not recall Tundras in other states, although it will inspect vehicles and make repairs if necessary if requested by owners.

?Based on the extent of the corrosion, Toyota will either apply a corrosion-resistant compound to the affected area or replace the rear cross-member if necessary,? NHTSA said. ?In the event that the rear cross-member cannot be replaced, Toyota will develop a remedy for those vehicles.?

NHTSA?s report says that it has ?received 20 reports on the subject vehicles that relate to spare tire separation and brake system failures as a result of severe frame corrosion. There have been 15 reports alleging the under body-mounted spare tire separated from the rear crossmember and five reports alleging broken brake lines at the proportioning value located on the driver?s side of the rear cross member at upper shock mount.?

Catman

FoMoJo

Quote from: Catman on November 24, 2009, 06:19:06 PM
There is no excuse for this today.
Yeah, but that won't stop Toyota, or 'cougs, from making them :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

3.0L V6

In defense of Toyota - the oldest trucks in the recall are going on 10 years old.

There were certain cars made in the 1990s that were notorious for rusting - I had personal experience with GM front-drive A-bodies that would rust so completely that the rear suspension would almost be detached from the body.

Submariner

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on November 24, 2009, 09:38:04 PM
In defense of Toyota - the oldest trucks in the recall are going on 10 years old.

There were certain cars made in the 1990s that were notorious for rusting - I had personal experience with GM front-drive A-bodies that would rust so completely that the rear suspension would almost be detached from the body.

Some are only six...

If this were mere surface rust, it wouldn't really be a big deal...but extensive frame rot is really inexcusable.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

I remember my Chevy Venture minivan was recalled for a similar problem, but it was with the cable holding the spare rusting out... not the actual crossmember.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 24, 2009, 06:28:13 PM
Yeah, but that won't stop Toyota, or 'cougs, from making them :huh:.

Wow, I've got your number.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 25, 2009, 12:40:47 PM
Wow, I've got your number.
An observation based on past performance. :huh:  Tell me I'm wrong ;).
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MaxPower

Maybe there's no excuse for the rust but you can't fault them for doing something about it.