well i just got hosed...

Started by r0tor, November 24, 2009, 06:48:08 PM

Morris Minor

My pet peeve is being held at a left turn red light when its perfectly safe to proceed. My other pet peeve is being held at any kind of red light when it's perfectly safe to proceed. Almost as absurd is having to stop at stop signs unnecessarily.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

bing_oh

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 04, 2009, 01:47:56 AMI'd like to say that they go by your permanent residency, but I've heard of someone getting an out-of-state license ticket for going on a long vacation. Can't remember which state he got the ticket in though.

Yea, it's a matter of residency. But, when you talk about the "snow birds" who spend half of the year at their house in a warm state and the other half in a northern state, then it's kinda tough to determine residency.

J86

Quote from: Minpin on December 03, 2009, 10:57:05 PM
What about college kids? I live in SC 8-9 months a year, but live in Tejas.  :huh:

Courts have generally been loath to consider the domicile of college students as distinct from their parents, barring any manifestation of intent by the student to establish domicile (by showing an intent to remain) in the 'new' state.

Minpin

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 04, 2009, 10:42:08 AM
My pet peeve is being held at a left turn red light when its perfectly safe to proceed. My other pet peeve is being held at any kind of red light when it's perfectly safe to proceed. Almost as absurd is having to stop at stop signs unnecessarily.

Left turn yields are a fantastic invention. Columbia uses them, but not back home. It's much much much better this way.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Eye of the Tiger

I like roundaboutz, except when other people don't know how to use them.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Are there a lot of those roundabouts in Maine?  Cape Cod has a ton of them.  They're great with light traffic, not so great with heavy traffic.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Quote from: bing_oh on December 04, 2009, 09:41:50 PM
Yea, it's a matter of residency. But, when you talk about the "snow birds" who spend half of the year at their house in a warm state and the other half in a northern state, then it's kinda tough to determine residency.

Their residency is usually determined by which state has lower taxes and car insurance.  ;)

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on December 05, 2009, 04:35:23 AM
Are there a lot of those roundabouts in Maine?  Cape Cod has a ton of them.  They're great with light traffic, not so great with heavy traffic.

Same in New Jersey. We used to have more of them, but the geniuses in office replaced most of them with "jug handle" schemes that cause more accidents than the traffic circles ever did. There's one by my house where, in order to make a left turn: You must exit on a big ramp to right right, cross four lanes of traffic, then proceed straight onto the road where you wanted to make a left.

omicron

Quote from: bing_oh on November 30, 2009, 05:46:09 AM
One car is allowed to enter an intersection to wait to make a left turn. If you're already in the intersection, you can legally complete the turn. Of course, the problem is that, many times, multiple cars will enter the intersection to wait to turn left, so you get two, three, or even four cars making a left turn after the light turns red. That's illegal.

Not here. As many can enter the intersection under green as will fit - which at most intersections is admittedly only one or two cars anyway, but on the bigger intersections you can get up to four or five cars in the intersection waiting to make their turn on red.

I hate it when people don't enter the intersection when they can, and just sit behind the line.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on December 05, 2009, 03:32:01 PM
Same in New Jersey. We used to have more of them, but the geniuses in office replaced most of them with "jug handle" schemes that cause more accidents than the traffic circles ever did. There's one by my house where, in order to make a left turn: You must exit on a big ramp to right right, cross four lanes of traffic, then proceed straight onto the road where you wanted to make a left.

New Jersey is a nightmare to drive in.  That state's roads are very distinctive, in a negative way.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

There are piggies all over the place these days.  I thought they only push in the summer.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20560.msg1218465#msg1218465 date=1260113478
There are piggies all over the place these days.  I thought they only push in the summer.

Don't get another ticket while you still have the latest one outstanding.... :pullover: :lockedup:

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on December 06, 2009, 08:37:42 AM
Don't get another ticket while you still have the latest one outstanding.... :pullover: :lockedup:

I'm trying to take it easy.  On I-95 I still do 80 if there's traffic; in the day time, there's no way I'll get outfoxed by a copper, and at night, if there's a cushion, I'll keep at it.  On the road where I got my ticket, it's just too hard to keep an eye out for them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: J86 on December 04, 2009, 10:58:44 PM
Courts have generally been loath to consider the domicile of college students as distinct from their parents, barring any manifestation of intent by the student to establish domicile (by showing an intent to remain) in the 'new' state.

That's for purposes of determining personal jurisdiction. You only have one domicile, but you can have multiple residencies (think service of process).

I don't think those considerations matter when it comes to following the statutory licensing guidelines, but then again I don't think the police generally enforce them anyway when it comes to college kids. It would be ridiculous to require them to switch back and forth every time they went home for summer break, for example.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20560.msg1218667#msg1218667 date=1260129641
I'm trying to take it easy.  On I-95 I still do 80 if there's traffic; in the day time, there's no way I'll get outfoxed by a copper, and at night, if there's a cushion, I'll keep at it.  On the road where I got my ticket, it's just too hard to keep an eye out for them.

One time, about 20 years ago, I got 2 tickets within 10 minutes of each other.  You don't want to repeat that performance... :lol:

J86

Quote from: Tave on December 06, 2009, 02:18:33 PM
That's for purposes of determining personal jurisdiction. You only have one domicile, but you can have multiple residencies (think service of process).

I'm aware, I'm taking civil procedure as well... just using it to illustrate that I doubt courts would slam a college kid.

I don't think those considerations matter when it comes to following the statutory licensing guidelines, but then again I don't think the police generally enforce them anyway when it comes to college kids. It would be ridiculous to require them to switch back and forth every time they went home for summer break, for example.

Agreed.

Tave

Quote from: J86 on December 06, 2009, 05:58:13 PM
I'm aware, I'm taking civil procedure as well...

Yeah, I was just reminding you 'cause that's one of the tricks they might use on the exam (domicile for personal jrsdxn vs. proper venue vs. residence for service of process) :cheers:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

dazzleman

It's good to see the two resident law students helping each other out.

Josh, did you ever meet Charlie at Tulane?
Tim, did you ever meet the other Tim (TBR) at Wake Forest?

Tim, you must really be looking forward to getting home and seeing Moe again.

J86

Quote from: Tave on December 06, 2009, 06:06:18 PM
Yeah, I was just reminding you 'cause that's one of the tricks they might use on the exam (domicile for personal jrsdxn vs. proper venue vs. residence for service of process) :cheers:

Civ Pro tomorrow...kill me...

Dave- nope, although I have seen that flash Audi around a few times.

r0tor

and the hosing continues!!!   :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup:

The magistrate office is claiming they never received the check I mailed them over a week ago.  I get greeted with a letter when I got home stating i have a couple days to pay my fine or my license will be immediately suspended.  I called them up and the secretary gets all pissed off with the "yea thats what they all say" line.

So now I have to miss some work, drive out of my way, waste my time, and write out a new check and probably pay my bank a fee to cancel my first check... i love being treated like a common crook
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

dazzleman

I thought you were fighting the ticket?

r0tor

!!!!! HOLY FUCK !!!!

I call up the Judges office to explain how I mailed the ticket in on time and that I would be willing to come in immediately and pay the ticket amount to get things cleared up.  I get told by the assistant that there is currently a warrant for my arrest for not paying the ticket and the ticket has increase $50 because of that?!!!! I asked if who else I could talk to about this and was told the judge and I immediately drive over there.  

I get there, wait for 20 minutes to talk with the Judge.  She asks if I had any proof I mailed my check at the post office of that the postal service delivered the check.  I said no it was regular mail and pleaded to allow me to just pay the original amount and I was there immediately in good faith.  She told me tough shit, ther was nothing she could do since the warrant was already in effect, and go see the clerk to pay with the extra $50.

I go to the window and start to write out a check and I'm told I need to pay cash because of there being a warrant.  I'm like WTF I don't have that kind of money.  Then I see the assistant in the office i talked to mocking me and calling me a liar.  Then I demanded the ticket be readded because the amounts did not add up.  Reluctantly she did it after awhile.

She did this and found the police office gave me the right total with the wrong ticket amount listed.  SHE THEN FOUND THE OFFICER WROTE DOWN THE WRONG ADDRESS FOR THE JUDGE TO MAIL THE CHECK TOO!!!   :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup:

The clerk tracked down the judge and then suddenly my warrant and the $50 vanished.  I demanded a hearing for the ticket, paid my original amount, and didn't even get as much as an apology out of anyone.

:lockedup: :lockedup: :rage: :rage: :lockedup: :lockedup:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on December 09, 2009, 10:44:25 AM
!!!!! HOLY FUCK !!!!

I call up the Judges office to explain how I mailed the ticket in on time and that I would be willing to come in immediately and pay the ticket amount to get things cleared up.  I get told by the assistant that there is currently a warrant for my arrest for not paying the ticket and the ticket has increase $50 because of that?!!!! I asked if who else I could talk to about this and was told the judge and I immediately drive over there. 

I get there, wait for 20 minutes to talk with the Judge.  She asks if I had any proof I mailed my check at the post office of that the postal service delivered the check.  I said no it was regular mail and pleaded to allow me to just pay the original amount and I was there immediately in good faith.  She told me tough shit, ther was nothing she could do since the warrant was already in effect, and go see the clerk to pay with the extra $50.

I go to the window and start to write out a check and I'm told I need to pay cash because of there being a warrant.  I'm like WTF I don't have that kind of money.  Then I see the assistant in the office i talked to mocking me and calling me a liar.  Then I demanded the ticket be readded because the amounts did not add up.  Reluctantly she did it after awhile.

She did this and found the police office gave me the right total with the wrong ticket amount listed.  SHE THEN FOUND THE OFFICER WROTE DOWN THE WRONG ADDRESS FOR THE JUDGE TO MAIL THE CHECK TOO!!!   :lockedup: :lockedup: :lockedup:

The clerk tracked down the judge and then suddenly my warrant and the $50 vanished.  I demanded a hearing for the ticket, paid my original amount, and didn't even get as much as an apology out of anyone.

:lockedup: :lockedup: :rage: :rage: :lockedup: :lockedup:

Write your local politician to demand an appology

The Pirate

In the future, send all ticket money, court correspondence, etc. with delivery confirmation, etc.  I always do that, and I've never had this issue (in NY, which is hopelessly backlogged and inefficient with this sort of thing).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hotrodalex

Quote from: NomisR on December 09, 2009, 11:07:07 AM
Write your local politician to demand an appology

:hesaid:

That's just ridiculous. They should be embarrassed.

Submariner

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 09, 2009, 02:25:56 PM
:hesaid:

That's just ridiculous. They should be embarrassed.

They're incapable of feeling embarrassed, and for that matter, using common sense too.   
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

I think after my hearing, I will indeed bitch to my state representative

TurboDan

Quote from: r0tor on December 09, 2009, 04:14:20 PM
I think after my hearing, I will indeed bitch to my state representative

If it wasn't a state trooper who gave you the ticket, don't bother. The local PD is (technically) overseen by the local mayor and council, or the equivalent governing body for a county board.

Also, New Jersey has a full online system for paying tickets. You don't even deal with the local court whatsoever. You simply go to a state DMV web site, enter the ticket number and pay with your credit card. The money is then directed electronically to the local court and is listed as paid instantaneously.

TurboDan

Quote from: Submariner on December 09, 2009, 03:16:58 PM
They're incapable of feeling embarrassed, and for that matter, using common sense too.   

Apologizing/being embarrassed means admitting you were wrong.

dazzleman

r0tor, if you're contesting the ticket and having a hearing, why did you have to pay the fine?  Is it some sort of bond that they'll return to you if you're found not guilty?

I'm also very surprised about the short amount of time that elapsed between when you got the ticket and when you needed to respond.