Edmunds: 2011 Infiniti M56 First Drive (pics + impressions)

Started by sportyaccordy, November 25, 2009, 05:40:24 PM

Vinsanity

I wonder how much more the Bimmer is gonna cost, though...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 28, 2009, 11:36:55 AM
I wonder how much more the Bimmer is gonna cost, though...
Yea they are very close on paper. However something tells me the Bimmer, even with the auto, will be the more engaging drive.

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 28, 2009, 06:28:31 PM
Yea they are very close on paper. However something tells me the Bimmer, even with the auto, will be the more engaging drive.

But will it be engaging enough to be worth an extra $10k?

Catman

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TBR on November 28, 2009, 08:36:23 PM
But will it be engaging enough to be worth an extra $10k?
The Germans have been ripping us off since the SOHC E30 318i. However, the Japanese just can't seem to get the last 2/10ths right. The F10 looks better and has better engines. The M56 is the kind of car that is representative of Infiniti's abilities right now; and while it looks like it will be a great car I really don't know that it will match up with any F10. But we'll see. The F10 may be too complex for its own good.

AltinD

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 26, 2009, 11:41:03 AM
All of their lineups were developed under Ford.

Wasn't the Range Rover developed by BMW when they were owning the brand?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Submariner

Quote from: AltinD on November 29, 2009, 07:44:10 AM
Wasn't the Range Rover developed by BMW when they were owning the brand?

Yes, I believe you're right.  In fact, the RR shared the engine and transmission from the 740, and for a while shared the sat-nav and instrument cluster parts as well. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 28, 2009, 06:28:31 PM

I dunno, the last M45 was more "fun" than the last 550i.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/06q4/2007_bmw_550i_vs._infiniti_m45_lexus_gs450h_m-b_e550-comparison_tests/2007_infiniti_m45_sport_page_4

"In any case, numbers are only part of the story. The M45 prevailed for two big reasons. First, there is its character. The logbook commentary seemed to favor the Infiniti for its eagerness ? a light steering touch with good feedback, brisk turn-in, quick transitions, a general sense of being quick on its feet that made the Bimmer's responses seem a tad heavy and, well, Teutonic. Yes, we gave the 550i a one-point edge in fun-to-drive, a tribute to its superb competence. But of the two cars, the M45 seemed the more exuberant and ready to play."

I think BMW makes a point to make the 5 series a bit more "grown up" than their 3 series, while the M is alot more like an upsized G (same platform).  I believe the new F10 chassis is derived from the 7 series.

GoCougs

Saw a few of the new M on this last trip to Japan. It is a striking vehicle in the flesh.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on November 29, 2009, 01:28:18 PM
I dunno, the last M45 was more "fun" than the last 550i.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/06q4/2007_bmw_550i_vs._infiniti_m45_lexus_gs450h_m-b_e550-comparison_tests/2007_infiniti_m45_sport_page_4

"In any case, numbers are only part of the story. The M45 prevailed for two big reasons. First, there is its character. The logbook commentary seemed to favor the Infiniti for its eagerness ? a light steering touch with good feedback, brisk turn-in, quick transitions, a general sense of being quick on its feet that made the Bimmer's responses seem a tad heavy and, well, Teutonic. Yes, we gave the 550i a one-point edge in fun-to-drive, a tribute to its superb competence. But of the two cars, the M45 seemed the more exuberant and ready to play."

I think BMW makes a point to make the 5 series a bit more "grown up" than their 3 series, while the M is alot more like an upsized G (same platform).  I believe the new F10 chassis is derived from the 7 series.
Hopefully this new M solidifies Infiniti's position over BMW in this category for the fun-to-drive factor. However I still think even with about the same power and weight the BMW will put down better performance numbers. Those turbo motors are no joke.