Mazda RX-7 rumors resurface

Started by SVT666, November 26, 2009, 12:23:33 PM

SVT666

Mazda RX-7 rumors resurface
11/25/2009, 12:50 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

Reports of a revived Mazda RX-7 have been swirling through the internet rumor mill for about three years now, but the reborn sports car could be on the verge of finally getting the production nod.

Mazda design chief Ikua Maeda has reportedly already sketched out the new-age RX-7, and is currently presenting his ideas to Mazda?s board of directors. The new RX-7 would essentially replace the RX-8 in Mazda?s lineup, but the Japanese automaker has decided to can the RX-9 nameplate for production.

The new RX-7 would continue Mazda?s tradition of rotary engines, featuring an updated 1.6L unit, according to AutoExpress. Fitting of the RX-7 name, Mazda is planning to turbocharge the new engine, resulting in at least 300 horsepower and a 0-60 time likely under 5 seconds.

Although the RX-7 will undoubtedly have the shape of a coupe, the car?s final body style has yet to be determined. Two designs are said to be on the drawing board ? a true two-seater and a 2+2 with a three-door design like the current RX-8.

If give the green light, the new-age RX-7 could surface at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, followed by a roll-out in 2012.

Onslaught

I'm not holding my breath. I hope they make one but even if they do I won't love it as much as the old ones.

A. If it has a big smiley face it will be ugly. And no matter how good looking it will be then it can't look as good as the last one.

B. No pop up headlamps. Dumb ass safety shit.

But knowing my luck I'll get a new car and then Mazda will make a kick ass RX-7 that looks good. I've only waited for all these years for it.

sportyaccordy

We've been here before. I don't know how they can do this and remain competitive price wise with the likes of the 350Z and Rustang. Plus Mazda's new corporate face is hideous.

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 26, 2009, 12:39:06 PM
We've been here before. I don't know how they can do this and remain competitive price wise with the likes of the 350Z and Rustang. Plus Mazda's new corporate face is hideous.
Why not? If the RX-8 had more power it would be competitive with those cars. Take the rear doors off, take some weight out and add power with the new Rotary they've been showing off.
In the ned it will be like most RX-7's in the past. Not as much power as the others but lighter and better in the turns.

Payman

If they use a modified Miata platform, use the new 1.6 Renesis w/6 speed manual, they could end up with an awesome 2500 lb coupe with a screaming 300 hp, 9000 rpm, 0-60 in 4 seconds car for under $30,000.

It won't happen though.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on November 26, 2009, 12:55:08 PM
If they use a modified Miata platform, use the new 1.6 Renesis w/6 speed manual, they could end up with an awesome 2500 lb coupe with a screaming 300 hp, 9000 rpm, 0-60 in 4 seconds car for under $30,000.

It won't happen though.
It won't be under $30K either.  Miatas are that much.

Submariner

If they put the old cars body on a new chassis with a new engine, I'd be in love.

but they wont.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 26, 2009, 12:56:15 PM
It won't be under $30K either.  Miatas are that much.

In Canada, yeah... that and more. Around $35K CDN would be good.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on November 26, 2009, 01:04:20 PM
In Canada, yeah... that and more. Around $35K CDN would be good.

A base model witha  few options in the US is already hitting $28K.

Onslaught

I LOVE the rotary motor. I love the way it revs and it's small, light weight nature. But I'm not sure they will ever get the fuel economy at an acceptable level.
Now I don't give a rats ass about gas millage in a sports car. But most people do and I think that's going to hurt any sales of future RX cars. Back when gas
was cheap the FB & FC sold well even with their strange motor. I just don't see that happening now.

While I personally would love to see another RX car I'm starting to think that perhaps a MX-7 would work out better for Mazda. A mid engined V6 pure
sports car would be nice. I feel kind of dirty for saying this being a fan of the RX.

MX793

Quote from: Payman on November 26, 2009, 12:55:08 PM

It won't happen though.

The MX-5 is on a modified RX-8 platform.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 26, 2009, 01:07:12 PM
A base model witha  few options in the US is already hitting $28K.

An MX-5 Sport (the base model) with the convenience package and the CD changer is like $25.2K (including destination).  With every option box checked other than the automatic gearbox, you get 27.7K.  And when I say every option, I mean stuff like the chrome gas cap, optional ground effects, spoiler, alarm system, wheel locks...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

No, it won't happen.  Mazda will just keep making kickass concepts, and then put giant fucking smiley faces on every facet of their cars.  You thought they were done with smiley face grilles?  Nope.  Next gen cars will have smiley face doors with smiley face door handles.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

My fear is the the people at Mazda will think that the recession in the main reason their cars won't sell and not the fact that their new front bumper smiles are dumb.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on November 26, 2009, 01:48:27 PM
Now I don't give a rats ass about gas millage in a sports car.
Most people don't. However, when you're getting the gas mileage of a Corvette and the straight line performance of a Cavalier you have to ask whether everything the car has to offer is worth it.

I too think an MX6 would be a great move, especially considering the great array of motors Mazda has in its arsenal. They could have a sports version with the turbo 2.3 and a luxury version with the 3.5.

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 26, 2009, 06:46:03 PM
Most people don't. However, when you're getting the gas mileage of a Corvette and the straight line performance of a Cavalier you have to ask whether everything the car has to offer is worth it.

And for me what it offers outweighs the poor mileage.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 26, 2009, 06:46:03 PM

I too think an MX6 would be a great move, especially considering the great array of motors Mazda has in its arsenal. They could have a sports version with the turbo 2.3 and a luxury version with the 3.5.

I was looking at C&D's last comparo with the RX and compared it to their last half-ton pickup comparo.  Their observed mileage with the RX was 1-2 mpg worse than the average mileage they got from their trucks, and more than half of the trucks could match or beat the RX in real-world acceleration (5-60).

The mileage of the RX is definately one of the biggest factors counting against it for me.  Especially since this state (or at least this part of it) has apparently decided to sell only E10 fuel.  On top of that, add whatever they do for the winter blend fuel (I suspect they just add even more alcohol) to further kill mileage.  I don't think I'm even getting 22 mpg in my car right now in predominantly "suburban" driving.  Care to venture what I'd be getting with an RX right about now?  I'm guessing 14-ish.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Catman

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

I like the old ones.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

I like the old RX7's, not necessarily riced ones.

Eye of the Tiger

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20573.msg1211182#msg1211182 date=1259292965
I like RX opiates. 

I wish I had some. I could totally see myself becoming a drug addict scumbucket uf this dhole college thing doesn't work out.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on November 26, 2009, 08:39:45 PM
I wish I had some. I could totally see myself becoming a drug addict scumbucket uf this dhole college thing doesn't work out.

I just got my script refilled. :praise:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20573.msg1211196#msg1211196 date=1259293979
I just got my script refilled. :praise:

I wish all drugs were OTC. I'd get some vicodin.

Onslaught

Millage will improve a little as the rotary breaks in. But only a very little.

SVT666

Since most of my driving is on the highway, the highway mileage of the RX-8 and the MazdaSpeed 6 would keep me from buying them.  I really like both cars (the RX-8 especially looks awesome in black), but that highway mileage is pitiful.

Submariner

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 27, 2009, 09:32:02 AM
Since most of my driving is on the highway, the highway mileage of the RX-8 and the MazdaSpeed 6 would keep me from buying them.  I really like both cars (the RX-8 especially looks awesome in black), but that highway mileage is pitiful.

Or as Chevy annoyingly says "HWY"
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550