New Sienna

Started by CJ, December 02, 2009, 12:11:33 PM

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 06, 2009, 03:07:01 PM
So one year older than the Sienna? Yep, that definitely accounts for the Toyota fitting in more than twice the space.

The JDM Odysessy is also much, much lower than the US odyssey. The US odyssey is over a foot longer and eight inches taller than the JDM odyssey, the Sienna is eight inches taller.

Quote from: the Teuton on December 06, 2009, 03:14:47 PM
Why didn't they just go "Uplander" on the JDM Odyssey instead of making the Crosstour? It looks like it would be a much better Venza competitor.

Because the Odyssey is a low-slung people carrier. It's designed to fit in any/all parking decks in Japan, and it doesn't share too much with cars in the US.

The Honda Elysion is more in line with the vans we get in the US. It's 193" long, and virtually the same size as the US Odyssey.

StepWgn (Although smaller, is a lot boxier and efficient)

And Freed, which is a snazzy and clever use of space. It manages to fit 8 people in a car only 165" long. Fit Based.

And, there's the Civic-Based Stream, but it's kinda old and boring.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 06, 2009, 04:34:11 PM
It's not about pacifying.  Our double stroller, which is one of the most compact ones on the market takes up half of the cargo space behind our second in the Freestyle.  You should see the back of our car after we've been to Wal-Mart or the grocery store.  When most of us were kids car seats weren't even invented yet.  Now they're mandatory and they're fucking huge.  I love how people who don't have kids like to tell those of us who do have kids that they know better then us.  Any of you, go ask your parents; If given the choice, would they have preferred a minivan, or would they have rather made do with their compact hatchback or whatever the fuck they had.  When I was a kid, my mother would nurse us while my dad drove.  When I was a kid, I shared a seatbelt with my sister.  When I was a kid, I slept behind the back seat in our Westfalia.  If you do any of those today, you get charged and your kids get taken away. 

I forgot you have kids that are still in strollers.  Obviously, I don't remember what my parents did when I was that young, and my brother and I were never in strollers at the same time. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Quote from: NACar on December 06, 2009, 04:07:09 PM
All I needed was some Matchbox cars to play with in the back seat and I was good.

hell yeah!

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 06, 2009, 04:34:11 PM
It's not about pacifying.  Our double stroller, which is one of the most compact ones on the market takes up half of the cargo space behind our second in the Freestyle.  You should see the back of our car after we've been to Wal-Mart or the grocery store.  When most of us were kids car seats weren't even invented yet.  Now they're mandatory and they're fucking huge.  I love how people who don't have kids like to tell those of us who do have kids that they know better then us.  Any of you, go ask your parents; If given the choice, would they have preferred a minivan, or would they have rather made do with their compact hatchback or whatever the fuck they had.  When I was a kid, my mother would nurse us while my dad drove.  When I was a kid, I shared a seatbelt with my sister.  When I was a kid, I slept behind the back seat in our Westfalia.  If you do any of those today, you get charged and your kids get taken away. 

Is there really a rule against two people to a seatbelt?

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on December 06, 2009, 04:47:22 PM

The JDM Odysessy is also much, much lower than the US odyssey. The US odyssey is over a foot longer and eight inches taller than the JDM odyssey, the Sienna is eight inches taller.

Right, which is why people here are saying they like the styling more. Which was my point from the very beginning.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20625.msg1218819#msg1218819 date=1260145415
I forgot you have kids that are still in strollers.  Obviously, I don't remember what my parents did when I was that young, and my brother and I were never in strollers at the same time. 
It seems people on this forum forget that kids need those things when they're young.  Hence why I said that I find it funny that people who don't have kids always like to tell those of us that do that we don't know what we're talking about.

That Honda Freed looks excellent.

the Teuton

Quote from: 565 on December 06, 2009, 10:22:10 PM
That Honda Freed looks excellent.

It looks like the Mercedes A-Class done right!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

USA_Idol

Quote from: ifcar on December 02, 2009, 12:25:01 PM
Exterior looks fine, except for the SE sport version; clean and as attractive as a minivan can be.

The interior doesn't.

I'm not sure I like the exterior based on the photos alone; I'll need to see this in the metal before determining whether I like it or not.  I do think it looks a bit chunkier than the outgoing model...less "dainty".  That's not a bad thing, in my opinion.

As for the interior...who designed the 2- or 3-foot swoosh of plasti-wood?  Yuck.  Mid-row barcalounger seats are kinda neat, though.

AutobahnSHO

As the only Resident Sienna Driver (I think,) the ONLY OFFICIAL OPINION THAT COUNTS:  :lol:

First, it looks Exactly like the same van since 2004, refined. Which isn't a bad thing, I really do love mine. I don't know how popular the 4-banger will be, but if if it gets more people into vans than friggin non-off-road-built-like-a-car-but-looks-like-a-truck (many SUVs,) then fine.

Second, DON'T LIKE the front styling. The back is nice, it gives it a sleeker look so it's not so boxy.

The shifter seems crazy but once you drop it down into drive, it is out of the way so the instruments are fine to reach. The dash shifter is as handy as a manual in a compact car, without wasting space for a console. It's easier than a steering wheel shifter.

SURE, the middle stack should be closer to the driver, but the passenger usually wants to fiddle too.

The excessive "wood" is likely only on the top trim, which I wouldn't be getting anyway.

TOTALLY WANT the lazy boys. Sure they wouldn't be used all the time (looks like you have to slide them back, impeding 3rd row space) but that's AWESOME.

NICE second sunroof.

Bottom line: WANT.
Will

Laconian

I've always been told that reclining too much defeats the seatbelts. I'll bet there's a warning in the manual saying that MIDDLE ROW SEATS SHOULD NOT BE RECLINED IF THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on December 17, 2009, 11:46:50 AM
I've always been told that reclining too much defeats the seatbelts. I'll bet there's a warning in the manual saying that MIDDLE ROW SEATS SHOULD NOT BE RECLINED IF THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION!
I would bet you're right.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 17, 2009, 11:46:50 AM

So install a 5point harness, or kick the feet up and don't recline..  :lol:
Will