***TESTDROVE the 2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 (W221)***

Started by cawimmer430, August 22, 2005, 07:57:42 AM

BMWDave

Quote"Getting into the car...keyless go"? You sounded 100% american to me.

Why did your acceleration videos all stop at the same place about halfways through the speedometer?? How come you didnt film them at higher speeds? Just curious :)
If the road was long and straight, it wouldn't be a problem. But the roads here are very curvy and what I am doing is pretty risky already. Filming with the right, steering with the left. Also, if the videos are too long, the file size can increase making them harder to upload online. Filming at higher speeds is very dangerous. It's "easy" to take a picture at high speeds, but filming is a little harder.  ;)
I see...I wouldnt want you to kill yourself :lol:

Next time, do a running commentary of the car when its not driving, so we can really evaluate your english :lol:

Oh, btw, I posted pictures of my E30 3er in the car photograpy thread.  Take a look, and tell me what you think :)
Good idea, will do that!  :lol:

Checking out your ride now...
Cool, I will be looking forward to the video :)

The E30 is my second car, I drive a LR Disco II as my daily driver.
An SUV guy in other words.  :lol:
My next car will probably be a used BMW M Coupe or porsche though.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

Wimmer, the 318i will work with a new battery.  The engine is dirty, but everything is in place.  I have never seen a 318i in America, with the exception of the one I have.  Every E30 3er I see is a 325.

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

QuoteWimmer, the 318i will work with a new battery.  The engine is dirty, but everything is in place.  I have never seen a 318i in America, with the exception of the one I have.  Every E30 3er I see is a 325.
Yours must be a Euro import then right?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BMWDave

QuoteWimmer, the 318i will work with a new battery.  The engine is dirty, but everything is in place.  I have never seen a 318i in America, with the exception of the one I have.  Every E30 3er I see is a 325.
Well, my dad ordered a 3er, and the dealership gave it away, so he wrote to the CEO of BMW, and they shipped a car exactly according to his specs from Germany pronto.  But I think he was going to buy a 318i anyway in the dealership.  I think it was only sold for one year, to be replaced by the 325.

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

QuoteWimmer, the 318i will work with a new battery.? The engine is dirty, but everything is in place.? I have never seen a 318i in America, with the exception of the one I have.? Every E30 3er I see is a 325.
Well, my dad ordered a 3er, and the dealership gave it away, so he wrote to the CEO of BMW, and they shipped a car exactly according to his specs from Germany pronto.  But I think he was going to buy a 318i anyway in the dealership.  I think it was only sold for one year, to be replaced by the 325.
Hey, so your Euro 318i might even handle better than a US-spec 318i! I don't know about BMW, but MB softens up the suspension and makes their steerings a little vaguer for the US market to fit their comfort image.  ;)  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

QuoteWimmer, the 318i will work with a new battery.? The engine is dirty, but everything is in place.? I have never seen a 318i in America, with the exception of the one I have.? Every E30 3er I see is a 325.
Hey, so your Euro 318i might even handle better than a US-spec 318i! I don't know about BMW, but MB softens up the suspension and makes their steerings a little vaguer for the US market to fit their comfort image.  ;)
They could have shipped a Us spec version from Germany too ;)   But that would be cool if they did ship a euro-spec, I wonder how you can tell the two apart cosmetically.

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

They could have shipped a Us spec version from Germany too ;)   But that would be cool if they did ship a euro-spec, I wonder how you can tell the two apart cosmetically.
Nowadays, US-spec BMW's will get orange reflectors infront I think...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

Do you mean on the side of the car?  It doesnt have those, but pictures of European 318i 's didnt have that either.  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteSound good! B)

How was the "Mercedes iDrive", and did Europe get a price increase with the new model?
I didn't get to try the i-Drive sadly. I focused on driving the car because I only had 30 minutes to enjoy it.  ;)

Price increase for the W221 S500 over the W220 S500 was Euros 9,000. Not sure about the others.
The S is already the most expensive car in its class in the US. I certainly hope they don't bump it up by another $10,000 or more.  

cawimmer430

Do you mean on the side of the car?  It doesnt have those, but pictures of European 318i 's didnt have that either.
Hmmm...must be a Euro-spec model. I have to run now, but does your car have a km/h or mph speedometer?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteSound good! B)

How was the "Mercedes iDrive", and did Europe get a price increase with the new model?
I didn't get to try the i-Drive sadly. I focused on driving the car because I only had 30 minutes to enjoy it.  ;)

Price increase for the W221 S500 over the W220 S500 was Euros 9,000. Not sure about the others.
The S is already the most expensive car in its class in the US. I certainly hope they don't bump it up by another $10,000 or more.
We'll see in February.  :o  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

QuoteWimmer, the 318i will work with a new battery.  The engine is dirty, but everything is in place.  I have never seen a 318i in America, with the exception of the one I have.  Every E30 3er I see is a 325.
No, the 318i was produced for a couple of years, however, the 318is was produced for only 1991 IIRC (a special coupe with a sports suspension, a 140hp 1.8l I4, and some M3 appearance bits).