3 (10%)
Dec 2010
2 (6.7%)
Post-Infiniti World Takeover (2011+)
14 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

r0tor

ok.... have a few months to purchase a steering wheel and playseat
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on June 16, 2010, 07:09:33 AM
ok.... have a few months to purchase a steering wheel and playseat

I'll have to get those too. Maybe not a seat, but definitely a wheel. That can be a Christmas present.

ChrisV

Quote from: 68_427 on June 15, 2010, 08:14:18 PM
I have a launch day 60gb.  :praise:

Same here, though I bought mine refurbished. Worth it for the better hardware and software than the new PS3s have.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 16, 2010, 10:05:50 AM
I'll have to get those too. Maybe not a seat, but definitely a wheel. That can be a Christmas present.

a wheel and pedal set really dont work too well without a decent mounting option
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

You don't need a whole play seat, and home made rigs work just as well.

Many people get seats from wrecked car and use wood frames.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Should have kept the bench seat from my El Camino. :lol:

must buy game...

It's interesting the Top Gear track and Stig are on there.  It's a nice touch.

68_427

I need to save up money for replacement pedals.
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: 68_427 on June 16, 2010, 04:07:31 PM
You don't need a whole play seat, and home made rigs work just as well.

Many people get seats from wrecked car and use wood frames.

by the time you go through all that, your at the cost of a playseat -shrug-

68_427

You can make one for under $100.
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

if you want a shitty seat... then yes

I priced out an RX8 or MS3 seat from a Mazda junkyard in good shap and materials to build it and I was well over $200

Rich

It's going to be a blast racing with all of you.  rot0r and 68_427 will kick my ass, but I don't care.  I'm thinking about picking up that logitec g27 wheel.  I guess we'll see when winter comes. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2010, 10:40:55 AM

I priced out an RX8 or MS3 seat from a Mazda junkyard in good shap and materials to build it and I was well over $200
I bet you didn't price out moldy 1989 Ford Taurus bench seats. That's your problem.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2010, 10:40:55 AM

All bucket seats from the junkyard I go to are $40 a piece.

r0tor

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 17, 2010, 10:49:08 AM
All bucket seats from the junkyard I go to are $40 a piece.

all seats in the junkyards I go to a ratty POS's

hotrodalex

I can find some good ones. A lot are crap, but you just have to search a little.

r0tor

...and at the end of the day your still going to be spending $100 or more and left with a cruddy seat in a frame that will be much less portable or moveable

-shrug-

BimmerM3

I'lll probably buy the game, but I can't see myself spending the cash for the wheel and seat.

Cookie Monster

Damn, it will cost me $800+ for a PS3, Logitech G27, GT5 and a 24" monitor.

I don't think it's worth it...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 17, 2010, 11:13:00 AM
I'lll probably buy the game, but I can't see myself spending the cash for the wheel and seat.

I plan on getting a PS3 & GT5 (I might actually see if they come bundled for a good price), and then hold off on the wheel for a little bit. The seat is very iffy.

68_427

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 17, 2010, 10:44:00 AM
It's going to be a blast racing with all of you.  rot0r and 68_427 will kick my ass, but I don't care.  I'm thinking about picking up that logitec g27 wheel.  I guess we'll see when winter comes. 

IIRC we were all pretty close in the TT demo.
'racecar is die'
no

I totally forgot about online play!  Yeah Carspin raceoffs are gonna be awesome.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

68_427

QuoteAnd another "cokpit/no cokpit" debate can begin.

Here is the official PRESS RELEASE from SCEA regarding GT5.

Most intresting bit is bolded:

Publisher:   Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC.
Developer:    Polyphony Digital Inc.
Platform: PlayStation?3 system
Genre:    Racing / Driving Simulator
Players:    1 ? 4 Local, up to 16 online
Release:    TBA (November 2nd confirmed)
Rating:    RP ? Rating Pending

From Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI), the development powerhouse that has shipped more than 55 million units worldwide, the award-winning Gran Turismo? franchise makes its way to the PlayStation?3 (PS3?) system in the first complete installment of the fan-favorite series on the console. Developed exclusively for PS3 by the internal team of designers and engineers at PDI, Gran Turismo? 5 brings the world?s most realistic and comprehensive driving experience to fans in one of the most highly anticipated games of all time. Consistently setting the bar in terms of quality of design and physics technology with every product release, Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 is no exception and aims to set new standards in terms of graphics, presentation, and gameplay.

Gran Turismo 5 features more than 1000 licensed cars from the world?s top manufacturers and more than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations, including famous world circuits, city courses, and other environments. Featuring exciting gameplay and modes to suit newcomers, automotive enthusiasts, and seasoned fans, Gran Turismo 5 raises the bar on the franchise?s depth of content and unparalleled visuals including lifelike graphics that are difficult to distinguish from a live race. Further reflecting this realism, cars will feature real-time visual damage with adaptive and accurate car deformation based on point of impact and velocity. Additionally for the first time, Gran Turismo 5 will feature an extremely deep online and community feature set.

Players can progress and acquire credits through a variety of modes like GT Career Mode, Championship Races, License Tests and more, or they can explore different tracks and circuit variations in Arcade Mode. Additionally, players can race online with up to 16 players through PlayStation Network?(PSN). Players can also participate in a robust online system, and transfer vehicles unlocked in Gran Turismo? for PSP? into their garage in
Gran Turismo 5.

CARS THAT LOOK AND FEEL REAL
?   A first for the franchise, vehicles will now show real-time damage and wear that reflect the driver?s treatment of the car. Cars will collect dirt (and can be washed at car washes) and will feature adaptive and accurate body deformation and performance damage based on point of impact and velocity (on select vehicles).
?   Additional graphic touchups that add to the realism include smoke from tires, sparks that fly from vehicle rollovers, and dirt accumulation.
?   Brand new vehicle physics engine that replaces the engine from Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, making the action more realistic than ever.
?   PlayStation Eye camera features that add a new level of detail to the game, including face tracking for looking around the interior of vehicles while in the interior dash view.

MORE CARS, MORE TRACKS, MORE MODES
?   More than 1000 licensed cars, including those representing racing organizations from around the globe such as NASCAR, World Rally Championship, Super GT and more.
?   More than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations featuring famous world circuits and real-world city locales.
?   Arcade mode lets players take in the stunning tracks and environments of
Gran Turismo 5 alone or with a friend in split-screen two-player mode.
?   The fan-favorite career mode returns with a full world map, licensed car dealerships, [COLOR="red"]tuning and body shops,[/COLOR] and car washes. Start your car collection, customize them to your liking, and live the life of a pro racer.
?   Compete in franchise mainstays like point-based Championship Race series and hone your skills with License Tests.
?   Gran Turismo TV Video gives players access to an online clearinghouse of great motorsport video programming (both HD and SD ? all broadcast quality) through PLAYSTATION Network. Users can now export this content to the GT PSP Museum (GT PSP required).

CUSTOMIZE YOUR RIDE, AND YOUR GAME
?   Photo Mode and Photo Album allows users to capture their greatest GT moments, and share with friends. Players can stage and capture stylish shots from a number of angles and locations.
?   Photo Album can be shared online, and the Online Replay Album lets players capture replay video from their favorite races and upload them to YouTube for the world to see.
?   Players can create custom soundtracks from music stored on their PS3s to play in-game.

RACE AGAINST THE WORLD, ONLINE
?   Online racing evolves in Gran Turismo 5 with robust racing options that are shaping up to deliver the deepest online racing experience available.
?   [COLOR="Red"]Players can join in on public races featuring up to 16 players at once with text and voice chat, or host private races with lobbies supporting up to 32 players per lobby.[/COLOR]

OTHER FEATURES
?   Players who own Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue can transfer cars unlocked in that game directly to their garage in Gran Turismo 5 for use in Arcade Mode through special cross-talk interoperability.
?   Gran Turismo 5 will feature full PSN Trophy support, making players? accomplishments that much more satisfying.

ENDS***

So, what does "Lobby" stands for? Does this mean we can expect races of 32 players in Private Lobbies, or is it just a way to put 32 players in lobby prior to the actual race?

Lights, please!

Finally custom soundtracks.  I'm going to start loading my PS3 up with driving songs.

Also 32 player private lobby?  Fuuuuu  I hope that's like a track day type thing or something.
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

I also read something that said go-karts and a track editor was included...

The PS eye camera could be absolutely awesome if it works as well as one could hope

68_427

We already have that feature in GT5P though, albeit using the right analog stick.  I don't use cockpit view for serious racing anyways though.  I use hood/roof cam.

And yes a track creator/editor has been highly likely since the beginning.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

I admit, there are drivers here who are quicker than I am, but I'm looking forward to it as well.  I might have to get a decent wheel setup for when I move out.  Any suggestions?

And do you guys use the pedals barefoot? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on July 01, 2010, 02:29:24 PM
I admit, there are drivers here who are quicker than I am, but I'm looking forward to it as well.  I might have to get a decent wheel setup for when I move out.  Any suggestions?

And do you guys use the pedals barefoot? 

What is your price range?
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on July 01, 2010, 02:42:40 PM
What is your price range?

Hm...

Under $500?  If I can do the whole setup under $300, that would be better. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

I haven't used the G27, but I've used the G25 and the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel (Which I own).  The Logitect felt like a toy compared to the Fanatec.  It felt plasticy, had rubbery shifter, and weak force feedback w/larger deadzones.  I chose the Fanatec because it felt more solid and every once and a while Fanatec release firmware updates.  Also the brake pedal felt more progressive and the clutch had better feel.  The only downside to the turbo S besides the price (compared to the G25) was there aren't paddles on the back of the wheel.  Just rubber trigger type things.

I've read good things about the G27.  I believe Logitec has built a higher quality/better feeling wheel over the G25.  The G27 and Fanatec Turbo S/GT3 RS wheels are the best on the market right now.

G27

Turbo S  (Compatible with Clubsport aluminum pedals if you feel the need to upgrade)  Also compatible w/PC and Xbox 360

GT3 RS  Does not come with Porsche Wheel shifter set with 6+1 Speed gear stick and sequential gear stick, but can be purchased separately.

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Just going on pictures, I'm interested in the Logitech (I think my buddy has a G25) because of the paddles.  But once I get the wheel, how do you guys actually set it up?  That was the main barrier for me...my game room has a coffee table and two sofas, not a seat with an chest high table. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i