For all the yacking about fuel mileage...

Started by VTEC_Inside, December 14, 2009, 09:29:46 AM

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on December 18, 2009, 03:34:12 PM
Wow. That's even worse than the Rodeo. :lol:

Right about Explorer territory, in fact.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Charlie, I think your car is similar to mine.  I get very good highway mileage.  If I can keep myself from going too fast on the highway (and unlikely proposition)an I can get around 33 mpg.  Even driving fast, I can get around 28 or 29 mpg on the highway.  But in the city, I'm stuck in the 15-20 mpg range.  Your car is worse because the AWD saps gas mileage.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Teuton, what makes your brother think you drive like a maniac?  Is he a nervous nellie type?  I have the impression that you drive pretty conservatively because you fear getting pulled over.  If your brother's right, good for you, man...:ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on December 18, 2009, 08:31:06 PM
Right about Explorer territory, in fact.

If you're going to use all of that gas, you might as well hear it going to waste. FLOWMASTER!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2009, 04:46:41 AM
Teuton, what makes your brother think you drive like a maniac?  Is he a nervous nellie type?  I have the impression that you drive pretty conservatively because you fear getting pulled over.  If your brother's right, good for you, man...:ohyeah:

I just have a tendency to tailgate, right lane pass if people don't know how to use the left lane, and otherwise drive as if I owned a BMW.

I don't much care for the way he drives, either. It bugs the bajeezus out of me.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2009, 04:09:44 PM
I just have a tendency to tailgate, right lane pass if people don't know how to use the left lane, and otherwise drive as if I owned a BMW.

I don't much care for the way he drives, either. It bugs the bajeezus out of me.

How does your brother drive?

I have one brother whose driving makes me crazy.  He goes very fast, but he also weaves in and out of traffic, tailgates, does other things while driving, etc.  I also like to drive fast, as conditions allow, but I prefer to concentrate on my driving and I don't like all that weaving and tailgating.  I'm a much more relaxed driver than he is and it appears that I speed for a different reason than he does.  One time he was driving with my mom, and she forced him to stop the car and she took the wheel.  I don't let him drive my car, and I prefer to avoid riding with him.

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2009, 04:09:44 PM

I don't really tailgate people, but I just get close enough for people to realize and get out of the way. Well my definition of tailgaiting is within 2 car lengths, so I stay at least that far back but maybe that is tailgating.

I hate right lane passing. For fuck's sake why do I have to run the chance of plowing into the back of a slower moving car I might not be able to see in the right lane because the idiot in front of me won't get out of the way? I'll flash and tailgate the guy in front of me rather than use the right lane. Unless I know for sure that there's basically no traffic and I know there's nobody in the right lane.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Phantom

That's usually the case here in California--the right lane is usually open for passing the whole line of left lane campers.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on December 19, 2009, 04:18:21 AM
Charlie, I think your car is similar to mine.  I get very good highway mileage.  If I can keep myself from going too fast on the highway (and unlikely proposition)an I can get around 33 mpg.  Even driving fast, I can get around 28 or 29 mpg on the highway.  But in the city, I'm stuck in the 15-20 mpg range.  Your car is worse because the AWD saps gas mileage.

Yup, it's pretty unimpressive, really. Some SUV's get better mileage than I do around town, and that is ridiculous.

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 20, 2009, 07:46:07 PM
I don't really tailgate people, but I just get close enough for people to realize and get out of the way. Well my definition of tailgaiting is within 2 car lengths, so I stay at least that far back but maybe that is tailgating.

I hate right lane passing. For fuck's sake why do I have to run the chance of plowing into the back of a slower moving car I might not be able to see in the right lane because the idiot in front of me won't get out of the way? I'll flash and tailgate the guy in front of me rather than use the right lane. Unless I know for sure that there's basically no traffic and I know there's nobody in the right lane.

I've completely stopped caring about passing on the right. If I can pass somewhere, I'll do it. I think it does throw off the slow moving southerners sometimes, but for some reason they all understand that it's appropriate to make sure you're not holding someone up behind you and merge right fairly quickly if I get behind them, so down there I don't pass on the right nearly as often.