Why do headlights stay on after key has been removed?

Started by 280Z Turbo, December 15, 2009, 12:33:02 PM

TurboDan

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on December 15, 2009, 07:50:42 PM
I haven't gone out of my way to try it on anything, but discovered on our old '02 Accord and my RSX you can leave the lights on and walk away, but they will shut themselves off after 30s to a minute.

The Saab would do that if you clicked the hi-beams on within 10 seconds of turning the car off, or something like that. I have no idea if the Passat does the same thing.

Colonel Cadillac

Along the same theme, why do some cars automatically lock?

I got locked out of the car on my way home in Alabama because it automatically locked with the keys on the driver's seat. Luckily, it only took 20 minutes to get that dealt with (it had the potential to take 3+ hours), but if I wanted the car locked, I would have locked it myself.

r0tor

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 22, 2009, 10:17:10 AM
Along the same theme, why do some cars automatically lock?

I got locked out of the car on my way home in Alabama because it automatically locked with the keys on the driver's seat. Luckily, it only took 20 minutes to get that dealt with (it had the potential to take 3+ hours), but if I wanted the car locked, I would have locked it myself.

My fathers 4Runner automatically locks unless it senses the key (probably the ignition chip) is close by or in the car

My RX8 has locked me out while washing it many many times  :rage:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TurboDan

Quote from: r0tor on December 22, 2009, 11:32:02 AM
My fathers 4Runner automatically locks unless it senses the key (probably the ignition chip) is close by or in the car

My RX8 has locked me out while washing it many many times  :rage:

Once upon a time my Dad made the mistake of purchasing a Dodge Stratus. The car was, overall, awful... but one issue I distinctly remember was the auto locks being kicked in by the RPMs of the engine. Now, my car does the same thing (which is fine) but the Stratus was set too low. On a cold morning, when the car was warming up at a high RPM, you had a decent chance of heading back inside and coming back to see that your running car had locked you out of itself.  :confused:

He eventually traded it in for a new '01 A6, which has provided years of trouble-free driving without ever being locked out once.  :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 15, 2009, 12:33:02 PM
Why? It makes no sense to me. My Saab was smart enough to kill the headlights automatically after you turn the key off. The Focus will turn off the headlights, but keep the parking lights on. :confused:

It seems like a good way to drain the battery.
Doesn't it cut power after 30 minutes if you leave any accessories on?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2009, 05:40:42 PM
Doesn't it cut power after 30 minutes if you leave any accessories on?

Never tried it.

I know the rear hatch light will eventually go off by itself if you leave the hatch open.

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on December 22, 2009, 04:08:03 PM
Once upon a time my Dad made the mistake of purchasing a Dodge Stratus. The car was, overall, awful... but one issue I distinctly remember was the auto locks being kicked in by the RPMs of the engine. Now, my car does the same thing (which is fine) but the Stratus was set too low. On a cold morning, when the car was warming up at a high RPM, you had a decent chance of heading back inside and coming back to see that your running car had locked you out of itself.  :confused:

He eventually traded it in for a new '01 A6, which has provided years of trouble-free driving without ever being locked out once.  :lol:

The locks are supposed to kick in at 9mph, I believe. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: TurboDan on December 22, 2009, 04:08:03 PM

Seems like it would ha made better sense to program it to lock at a certain speed.