Saab Story

Started by the Teuton, December 18, 2009, 08:05:29 AM

the Teuton

The only Aero X I've ever seen in person was a wrecked on on the back of a flatbed truck.

The car looks completely badass, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Colonel Cadillac

The Turbo X is pretty rare also.

EDIT: Well HOT DAMN, look what I found: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-SAAB-93-TURBOX-AWD-4X4-SUNROOF-HEATED-LEATHER-9K_W0QQitemZ110474918291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item19b8d17993#ht_30238wt_840

Cheap too, $27K w/ ~9000 miles, if this was available when I got the Audi....I think I'd have myself a Saab

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on January 05, 2010, 01:52:34 PM
I'm sure it's not bad, but why should I buy one over an S40, IS, A4 or even a TSX or the latest Regal?

Maybe you want a car with some personality?

Some people get Saabs, some people don't.  They're not Ferraris.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 05, 2010, 01:50:26 PM
Proof that, when put to its devices, Saab can produce a good car.

Do want.

Howso?  It got pretty scathing reviews when it came out.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

omicron

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Hachee

Sad as I'd be to see it die, I just don't see the point if they continue to be massaged versions of GM cars, even if it's owned by someone else.  Unless there's money there to really make something really interesting, what's the point?

I do like the new 9-5 for the most part, and the recent 9-3 models are kind of cool, but there's been nothing really interesting since the 1980s.  IMO, this was the peak.  The 900 was fully developed, if old by then already, but it looked amazing, and still does, and was fun to drive.  Great alternative to a 3 Series.  I even liked the new 9000 from 1986, as different as it was from the 900. 

It was a struggling company before GM, but at least there was some cool product.  There was such potential, but it was totally squandered by GM.  I still think there's potential for the brand, so I'm holding out home that there will another attempt.

nickdrinkwater

Not a good looking car IMO, that pic says it all.  Raza, I can't believe you think this thing is better looking than the BMW hardtop convertible.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 08, 2010, 12:20:14 PM

Not a good looking car IMO, that pic says it all.  Raza, I can't believe you think this thing is better looking than the BMW hardtop convertible.

Nice job there, choosing the only picture that is completely out of focus.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: NACar on January 08, 2010, 12:30:55 PM
Nice job there, choosing the only picture that is completely out of focus.

Doesn't look any better in focus.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Hachee on January 07, 2010, 07:17:47 AM
Sad as I'd be to see it die, I just don't see the point if they continue to be massaged versions of GM cars, even if it's owned by someone else.  Unless there's money there to really make something really interesting, what's the point?

Agree completely.  I like the idea of Saab but the execution has rendered it pointless.  If there is going to be a new owner they need to do something to give Saab a unique identity again.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 08, 2010, 12:20:14 PM

It looks a million times better than the E92 or whatever it is 3 series convertible!   It's not even close. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20771.msg1238915#msg1238915 date=1262982279
It looks a million times better than the E92 or whatever it is 3 series convertible!   It's not even close. 

It's tall and lacks any sort of aggressive stance. It doesn't look bad, but the 3-series looks better.

I'd even say that the Astra Twintop looks better. I really like that car. Most hardtop, 4-place convertibles look odd and ill proportioned, but the Astra looks good.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on January 09, 2010, 08:32:16 AM

It's tall and lacks any sort of aggressive stance. It doesn't look bad, but the 3-series looks better.

I'd even say that the Astra Twintop looks better. I really like that car. Most hardtop, 4-place convertibles look odd and ill proportioned, but the Astra looks good.

:nutty:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20771.msg1239826#msg1239826 date=1263077044
:nutty:

I mean, really?

The rear-drive proportions of the 3-series look great, top down, and top up it looks pretty good. The Saab looks frumpy, tall, and generic.

CJ

The Saab has always been one of the best looking cars on the market, IMO.  Plus, it's also an IIHS Top Safety Pick.  It and the C70 are the only convertibles to achieve that.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on January 09, 2010, 04:57:06 PM
The Saab has always been one of the best looking cars on the market, IMO.  Plus, it's also an IIHS Top Safety Pick.  It and the C70 are the only convertibles to achieve that.

I like the Saab, (and somewhat the C70) but to say the 3-series is ugly doesn't seem right.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on January 09, 2010, 04:54:01 PM

I mean, really?

The rear-drive proportions of the 3-series look great, top down, and top up it looks pretty good. The Saab looks frumpy, tall, and generic.

The 3 series looks awful; long and silly.

The 9-3 is amazing.  You need your eyes checked, boy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Jeebus, all three 'verts posted look like wedgie shit.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 2o6 on January 09, 2010, 08:32:16 AM

Ok now you're taking it too far, the Astra convertible is an abomination.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on January 08, 2010, 01:27:20 PM

You're barmy, Nicholas.

That IS a good angle.

Don't get me wrong, I don't find the car ugly.  Upon looking at the pics some more maybe it's the oversized taillights that ruin it for me.

nickdrinkwater

It's not looking good for Saab if this story is accurate  :(

QuoteSaab's fate as a car maker seems to have been already sealed according to sources at GM Europe in Germany.

Insiders have told Autocar that GM has secretly booked transportation to shift the remaining 9-5 production equipment and tooling from Opel?s Russelsheim factory to GM?s Buick factory in China.

The shipping will begin next Friday, 15 January, according to Autocar?s sources.

If the information is accurate, it could directly contradict GM?s statement yesterday that it is "continuing to evaluate?several proposals" for Saab from outside bidders.

Yesterday, GM also began the process "an orderly wind-down of Saab", drawing strong criticism from the head of Sweden?s IF Metal union for moving in "two directions at once".

A delegation including government officials is also travelling from Sweden to Detroit today in order to hold talks with GM bosses.

There?s no indication as to what the Buick China factory will do with the 9-5 tooling, but it could mean that the new Buick LaCrosse - which shares the same long-wheel base Epsilon 2 platform as the 9-5 - will be built by Buick China. Buick is a huge success in China for GM, selling 447,000 units in China during 2009.

Before the global credit crunch and GM bankruptcy, the company had planned to build the new Saab 9-5 in Russelsheim, alongside the new Insignia models. The addition of extra production volume generated by the 9-5 saloon and estate would have made the Russelsheim plant more profitable.

There was also an outside chance that GM could have sold the Saab brand and supplied the new owner with German-built 9-5 models on an ex-factory basis.

Yesterday, however, GM Europe boss Nick Reilly made clear that Opel/Vauxhall factories including Russelsheim will see more cuts to capacity.

"We must work fast to reduce our capacity, while maintaining productivity and quality," Reilly said to employees in a company blog.

This message would seem to confirm the story of the 9-5 tooling being shipped, as GM prepares to strip-out unwanted production equipment and re-size its Russelsheim plant.

Source Autocar http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/246336/

This means we will never see the 9-5  :cry:

nickdrinkwater

Good post on the Autocar forum summarising the mess GM are in

GM - Giant Mess.

GM, its mangers, Nick Reilly, John Smith, Ed Whitacre, have just one goal at the moment - get GM floated(re-privatised) before October this year, so Obama can show it as a success of his admnistration, before the US mid-term elections.

Everything that is loss-making currently is being tossed overboard in readiness for floating on the stock market, due around July time this year. Saab is just a casualty of this policy. There's no money to launch properly the new 9-5, so it must go. Everything is being focussed on quick revenue generators, centred around trucks, muscle cars in the US, the Buick brand in China and Chevy/GM Daewoo cheapo specials for the European market.

Reilly, Whitacre and Smith tried to kill Opel/Vauxhall, like the killing of Saab, but due to its size and election year in Germany in 2009, weren't able to pull it off. 2010 will mark the year they try again to slash costs in Opel and make it a hollowed-out badge re-engineering job for GM Daewoo/Chevy branded product. This of course won't work, but it will take immediate short-term hundreds of millions of dollars, several billions possibly off GM's bottom line, making it more attractive to Wall St's crooks investors, come flotation prospectus time.

Meanwhile, Vauxhall is having an accelerated death, caused by the public doubt over its future, following on from the on/off sale debacle in 2009. Vauxhall's UK market share is down from 14% in 2008 to less than 10% in Dec 09. Vauxhall van sales are down by 60%. Opel in Germany is showing the first signs of sales reversal, as loyal customers turn their backs on this GM-owned, abused company, due to the fallout from the hoped-for Magna deal.

GM is killing(Opel/Vauxhall), has killed(Saab) its established European operation, all to prop up and put a shine on its sales prospectus for its re-privatisation, and to hell with a longer than six months ahead consideration. It's all to save Whitacre's, the US Car Czar's, Obama's and the Democratic Party's re-election prospects, off the back of the ability to point ot a 'successful' unburdening of the public purse of a conservatorshiped GM. May they all burn in hell.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/t/10862.aspx?PageIndex=2

the Teuton