Started by sportyaccordy, December 21, 2009, 01:28:11 PM

Pet of choice???

16 (66.7%)
6 (25%)
(Other)
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

sportyaccordy

I really made this to see why anyone would get a cat... I just don't understand it

dazzleman

Dogs, by a mile.  I love dogs.  I really don't like cats, but I understand why some people like them.  They're easier to care for than dogs, and can be affectionate if they choose to be.  My brother summed it up well -- he said the biggest compliment you can pay a cat is to say it's like a dog.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

r0tor

Dogs have more personality and show much greater amounts of attention... they also need more food, need more attention (taking the damn thing out in the middle of a fantastic football game), often much more rude to people visiting the house, and often have a shorter longevity

i've had both and loved both dearly
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Having once had a dog I can now conclusively state that I'm no longer much of a dog person. Too much time, too much mess, too much smell, and day by day more and more people are elevating them to people status. I can sometimes tolerate a sporting breed such as a well-tempered lab or retriever, but that's as far as it goes.

I say cats, especially if it's something really ultra mega cool like a Savannah. I don't think I'd actually go so far as to get one however. Seems these days that most any gal I date has one, so sooner or later I'm bound to end up with one.

dazzleman

Quote from: r0tor on December 21, 2009, 01:49:29 PM
Dogs have more personality and show much greater amounts of attention... they also need more food, need more attention (taking the damn thing out in the middle of a fantastic football game), often much more rude to people visiting the house, and often have a shorter longevity

i've had both and loved both dearly

I'm allergic to cats, so I could never have one.  I've never really cared for them anyway.  My mom had an irrational fear of cats, so cats were the one pet that we were absolutely forbidden to have when I was a kid.  We had all sorts of stupid pets lke parakeets, hamsters, etc. and then we finally got a dog, which was of course my favorite.  But any request for a cat was swiftly greeted with a response of "absolutely not."
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

I prefer dogs, depending on the breed, but we have a cat.  They're better at catching mice than dogs are. :huh:
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

My daughter is allergic to cats as well. When we went dog shopping a few years ago, we were looking for a non-allergy breed. Then Wimmer posted pics back on C&D of his JRT, Frankie. I liked JRTs, so I read up on them and found that they live long, have minimal health issues, are extremely smart and loyal, and are among the cleanest and non-allergenic breeds. I bought Rocky from a well regarded champion breeder, and I rescued Misty a year ago from a bad breeder who was forced to give up his dogs. They are both members of our family and are well loved.

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 21, 2009, 02:00:30 PM
I prefer dogs, depending on the breed, but we have a cat.  They're better at catching mice than dogs are. :huh:

Rocky will out-mouse any cat.  :tounge:

shp4man

I like both dogs and cats. Cats are easier to take care of, so we have two cats. Some cats are affectionate, some aren't. I think cats are generally smarter than dogs, but have no proof, other than one of my cats, who seems to be able to reason out problems with amazing ability, and understands the concept of good and bad to the point of being able to attempt to deceive you if she's trying to hide something.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Payman on December 21, 2009, 02:07:12 PM
Rocky will out-mouse any cat.  :tounge:
I've seen dogs chasing mice.  They either knock over all the furniture or run into a wall; usually both :lol:.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

sportyaccordy

Quote from: shp4man on December 21, 2009, 02:25:12 PM
I like both dogs and cats. Cats are easier to take care of, so we have two cats. Some cats are affectionate, some aren't. I think cats are generally smarter than dogs, but have no proof, other than one of my cats, who seems to be able to reason out problems with amazing ability, and understands the concept of good and bad to the point of being able to attempt to deceive you if she's trying to hide something.
Our dog (shown in the poll) is pretty sharp as well. Especially in the company of other dogs.

ChrisV

I have two dogs and 3 cats (one cat is actually a foster care cat, due to my wife's friend having to not have it at her apartment anymore). My wife is allergic to cats, but has always had them around (her first one lived 19 years). We've found that if you are allergic to them, living with them actually reduces how allergic you are to them. And some breeds don't have the allergen in their saliva that causes the reaction (it's not the dander or fur, but the saliva that they use to wash their fur with that is what causes the allergies).

They are all different in temperment and, for lack of a better word, personality, and all enjoyable to have around.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2009, 01:28:11 PM
I really made this to see why anyone would get a cat... I just don't understand it

Why would anyone get a dog?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Dogs hands down. Cats are boring.  :zzz:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Wow. My cat drinks water, too!

MaxPower

Dogs!  But seriously, not those little yipper dogs.  They're just like cats but never stop yipping.  Its like every little dog has a Napoleonic complex.  Big dogs are where its at.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on December 21, 2009, 03:21:23 PM
I have two dogs and 3 cats (one cat is actually a foster care cat, due to my wife's friend having to not have it at her apartment anymore). My wife is allergic to cats, but has always had them around (her first one lived 19 years). We've found that if you are allergic to them, living with them actually reduces how allergic you are to them. And some breeds don't have the allergen in their saliva that causes the reaction (it's not the dander or fur, but the saliva that they use to wash their fur with that is what causes the allergies).

They are all different in temperment and, for lack of a better word, personality, and all enjoyable to have around.
Why am I totally unsurprised............

Onslaught

Both.

I've had cats that acted like dogs. They followed you around and wanted attention all the time. Two of them would even fetch things.
I've had some really smart dogs too. But I've been around a few that I'd like to shot right between the eyes.

Most dogs are better than most cats. But if you get a really good cat then it can be like a dog but without having to take care of it as much.
I find that the best is when you get a puppy and kitten at the same time. They both compete for the love and the cat acts more like a dog.

Eye of the Tiger

I'd get a wolf before I got a dog.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on December 21, 2009, 01:54:36 PM
Having once had a dog I can now conclusively state that I'm no longer much of a dog person. Too much time, too much mess, too much smell, and day by day more and more people are elevating them to people status. I can sometimes tolerate a sporting breed such as a well-tempered lab or retriever, but that's as far as it goes.

I say cats, especially if it's something really ultra mega cool like a Savannah. I don't think I'd actually go so far as to get one however. Seems these days that most any gal I date has one, so sooner or later I'm bound to end up with one.
I HATE that. It's a dog people. Not a person.
I hate how they take them into a PetSmart and let them run around and do whatever. Or jump up on me when I'm in line buying something. I don't find your dog as precious as you do and I don't want to smell like a dog.
And would it be too much to ask that you pick up it's shit off the floor? Some dog owners should be spayed and neutered with their pets.

Some of my friends think I'm so strange because I won't let my girlfriend have the dogs in the house. Dogs are for outside and not inside. It's a dog.

Payman

Quote from: NACar on December 21, 2009, 06:30:06 PM
I'd get a wolf before I got a dog.

Yes, smart thinking... to eat the cat so you can get the dog.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Payman on December 21, 2009, 06:36:11 PM
Yes, smart thinking... to eat the cat so you can get the dog.

I will let my wolf and serval duke it out to see who gets to be my pet. :praise:

hotrodalex

Yes, a miniature goat.

:lol:

I have a cat right now and he's great. The key to cats is you have to get one that has a personality.

Eye of the Tiger

:hesaid:

There are plenty of dumb cats, and I don't like them. The same goes for dogs. I liked our Aussie shepherd because she was super smart, clean, and didn't smell. Unfortunately, her legal owner is dumb, and lets her smarts go to waste by leaving her untrained and treating her like another spoiled daughter.   

Raza

In a perfect world, it would have to be a dog.  But they're too much work.  I need a dog that's as low maintenance as a cat.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20820.msg1228355#msg1228355 date=1261447001
In a perfect world, it would have to be a dog.  But they're too much work.  I need a dog that's as low maintenance as a cat.
Dogs are like little kids that never grow up. After these two die I won't be getting anymore anytime soon.

Lebowski

Dogs by a mile.  They're a lot of work, but worth it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on December 21, 2009, 06:33:35 PM
I HATE that. It's a dog people. Not a person.
I hate how they take them into a PetSmart and let them run around and do whatever. Or jump up on me when I'm in line buying something. I don't find your dog as precious as you do and I don't want to smell like a dog.
And would it be too much to ask that you pick up it's shit off the floor? Some dog owners should be spayed and neutered with their pets.

Some of my friends think I'm so strange because I won't let my girlfriend have the dogs in the house. Dogs are for outside and not inside. It's a dog.
I don't think you're a dog person.........

In any capacity.....

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 21, 2009, 07:27:44 PM
I don't think you're a dog person.........

In any capacity.....

I've had over 7 of them. But I know they're dogs. Not people. That's not to say they didn't have a good life. But they had a dogs life.