Started by sportyaccordy, December 21, 2009, 01:28:11 PM

Pet of choice???

16 (66.7%)
6 (25%)
(Other)
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

giant_mtb

I voted for a cat because that's what I'd really love to have, although I'm allergic to them.  I love dogs, too, but I really, really wish to get a hypoallergenic cat some day. :wub:

saxonyron

I used to be allergic to cats, but as Chris V said, not all cats have the same allergens. Our cat, Snowy, doesn't bother me at all.  Ruby, our Doberman is just the coolest damn dog.  They are both family members emeritus.  But I prefer the dog, if I had to choose one of them.  She has more personality and is much more useful than the cat.  Although Snowy did eliminate our mouse issues when she arrived, she won't let you hold her and pretty much acts cat-like, which means everything is on her own terms. 

Ruby...

Can't find pics of snowy in photobucket.  :huh:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Minpin

Dogs all the way. Whens the last time you used a cat to sniff a blood trail? Or to fetch your ducks? That's right cats, your lower on the totem pole of life! Go get stuck in a tree or something. HAHA!
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

SVT_Power

Quote from: Minpin on December 21, 2009, 10:00:07 PM
Dogs all the way. Whens the last time you used a cat to sniff a blood trail? Or to fetch your ducks? That's right cats, your lower on the totem pole of life! Go get stuck in a tree or something. HAHA!

I think those savannah cats cougs posted earlier can fetch... and apparently jump 8 ft from standing  :mask:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on December 21, 2009, 01:54:36 PM
Having once had a dog I can now conclusively state that I'm no longer much of a dog person. Too much time, too much mess, too much smell, and day by day more and more people are elevating them to people status. I can sometimes tolerate a sporting breed such as a well-tempered lab or retriever, but that's as far as it goes.

I say cats, especially if it's something really ultra mega cool like a Savannah. I don't think I'd actually go so far as to get one however. Seems these days that most any gal I date has one, so sooner or later I'm bound to end up with one.

Pixie bobs are local to the Seattle area, even.

Also, optimist, much? ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: shp4man on December 21, 2009, 02:25:12 PM
I like both dogs and cats. Cats are easier to take care of, so we have two cats. Some cats are affectionate, some aren't. I think cats are generally smarter than dogs, but have no proof, other than one of my cats, who seems to be able to reason out problems with amazing ability, and understands the concept of good and bad to the point of being able to attempt to deceive you if she's trying to hide something.

I doubt that very, very much.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on December 21, 2009, 06:33:35 PM
Some of my friends think I'm so strange because I won't let my girlfriend have the dogs in the house. Dogs are for outside and not inside. It's a dog.

You're an idiot, to put it simply. Dogs are pack animals, and would have lived in caves together, given the chance. Dogs are not solitary, tied up outside away from their pack, animals. Outside dogs are worse off, both mental healthwise, and physical healthwise, and tend to live shorter lives.

QuoteUnless you're medically intolerant of the dog (and, therefore, can't take care of him in a medical emergency - so you shouldn't have the dog anyway), making a dog stay outside is a costly waste.

If he's for protection, what do you think I want to steal - your lawn? When you leave, do you put your valuables and your kids out in your yard? Just what is the dog protecting out there? Most dogs kept outside cause far more nuisance complaints from barking and escaping than any deterrent to intrusion.

The more a dog is outdoors, the less behavioral control you have. It's easier to solve four or five indoor problems than one outdoor problem. The reason is valid and simple: The more you control the stimuli that reaches your dog, the more you control the responses. You've got a lot more control over your living room than you do over your entire county! When your dog is bored, but teased by every dog, cat, bird, squirrel, motorcycle, paperboy, airplane, firecracker and backfiring truck in the county, OF COURSE he'll dig, chew, and bark. Would you sit still all day everyday? Do you want unnecessary medical and parasite fees, especially as the dog ages?

When a dog is alone indoors, you are still 30% there because your scent and things he associates with you constantly remind the dog of you and your training. When he's out, your dog is alone whether you're home or not. Do you really expect him to keep YOU in mind while the entire world teases, distracts and stimulates him?

The media is full of stories about the family dog saving everyone's life during a fire. How many people, including children, would be dead today if those dogs were kept outside? SURE - you ALWAYS get up to investigate every time your yard dog barks. And I've got this bridge...

An outdoor dog has an address, not a home. Dogs offer real value as companion animals. Stop behavior problems and start enjoying real protection and companionship. Bring your dogs inside.

And from the SPCA:

QuoteDogs, by instinct, are very social animals. When in the wild, dogs run together with other dogs as members of a pack. Over many years, dogs were gradually domesticated and came to rely on people for care and companionship. You could say people became the dogs' "pack members". When a dog is kept alone outside and never allowed inside with the rest of the pack members, behavioral problems will develop and the dog's safety and health will be jeopardized.

Most of the behavioral problems incurred by dogs stem from boredom and lack of human companionship. Chronic barking, digging, licking of feet, legs and underside, running away, and eating foreign debris are all examples of common problems which occur when a dog is kept entirely outside. Every day, animal shelters like ours receive countless numbers of stray dogs who have wandered away from their homes. They also receive dogs relinquished by their owners because of behavioral problems caused by neglect. A good number of these dogs must be euthanized because we can not place animals with such severe behavioral problems, or simply because people are not as likely to adopt a dog that has not been properly socialized with humans.

Generally, an owner that keeps their dog inside is more observant of that dog, therefore, being more in tune with their dog's health, temperament, and whereabouts. A dog kept strictly outside is more prone to medical problems. These dogs are at a much greater risk for parasitic infection such as fleas, tapeworm, hookworm, whipworm, and roundworm. There is also the potential to pick up such diseases as rabies, parvo, and distemper because they come into contact with unvaccinated, stray, or wild animals. Digging in soil exposes the dog to fungal infections. Outside-only dogs are also more prone to ear problems such as fly bites, ear mites and infection.

Extreme temperatures also affect the dog's health. Dogs that are kept outside in the extreme cold can experience hypothermia which can lead to frost bite, upper respiratory infection, dehydration (if water is unavailable or frozen), stress (which causes the dog's organs to work harder), and even death. Exposure to extreme heat can cause hypothermia which can lead to dehydration, weight loss (due to loss of appetite), stress and death. Dogs kept outside are also exposed to the wind and rain which leads to upper respiratory infections such as kennel cough and pneumonia. In addition, moist environments can cause skin infections, hair loss and fungal infections.

Dogs that are kept outside all the time may cause harm to themselves when trying to escape the yard. Broken bones, abrasions, hanging, mouth injuries, intestinal problems and infection can all occur when trying to break a chain or jump over, chew through, or dig under a fence. If the dog does make it out of the fence, they can face other dangers, such as being hit by a vehicle, poisoned, or harmed by another animal or human. They may also be stolen or picked up and taken to a local animal control facility. Or they may just disappear.

So, you see how the controlled environment of an inside dog helps improve the dog's health, well-being, and life span. Face it, we as humans domesticated the canine to work alongside us to provide for them, protect them, and be a friend to them. Keep your dog inside where he/she can be a part of your family "pack".
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

Twiggy is far, far more intelligent than I; she can manipulate and scheme her way into and out of anything; she isn't all needy and clingy; she knows just how much attention to give to cause all and sundry to indulge her every whim; she performs her own ablutions; she can kill puppies with a single glare as well as melting me like butter; and she's soft, warm and comfortable.

Cats, please.

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on December 21, 2009, 11:49:46 PM
I doubt that very, very much.

Have you ever had a pet?

I remember how my dog used to try to deceive us.  Originally, she used to act really guilty when she had done something wrong, but she figured out that acting guilty gave it away, so she stopped acting guilty until she was actually caught.

She also knew she wasn't allowed on certain furniture, and when we were there, she never got onto it.  But twice, when she thought nobody was home, I caught her on that furniture.  As soon as she saw me, she got off as nonchalantly as possible.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on December 21, 2009, 06:33:35 PM
I HATE that. It's a dog people. Not a person.
I hate how they take them into a PetSmart and let them run around and do whatever. Or jump up on me when I'm in line buying something. I don't find your dog as precious as you do and I don't want to smell like a dog.
And would it be too much to ask that you pick up it's shit off the floor? Some dog owners should be spayed and neutered with their pets.

Some of my friends think I'm so strange because I won't let my girlfriend have the dogs in the house. Dogs are for outside and not inside. It's a dog.
I tend to agree.

Having grown up on a farm, our dogs lived outside.  They came and went as they pleased but always knew what people they were protective of. 

To be honest, I do not like lap dogs.  To me, they are useless mutants that have no purpose.  That they yap a lot reflects how disatisfied with their lives they are.  Those responsible for crafting these breeds did them a disservice as they removed all that was fine of their wolf ancestors.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Here's my father's and stepmother's dog Angel.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2009, 08:07:00 AM
I tend to agree.

Having grown up on a farm, our dogs lived outside.  They came and went as they pleased but always knew what people they were protective of. 

To be honest, I do not like lap dogs.  To me, they are useless mutants that have no purpose.  That they yap a lot reflects how disatisfied with their lives they are.  Those responsible for crafting these breeds did them a disservice as they removed all that was fine of their wolf ancestors.

I don't like the yippie breeds.

I like a medium-sized dog that is a real dog, but is not really difficult to handle.  My grandmother had an Irish Setter that was a really nice dog, but had too much energy to live in a house with older people and minimal land.  Dogs like that need huge amounts of land to run around in.

But if a dog is only a little bigger than a mouse, it's hard for me to get too interested in it.

S204STi

I'm allergic to cats.  But I also prefer the way dogs smell, their personalities, and their train-ability.  Nothing against cats really, they have their own unique traits.  If we lived in the sticks I'd likely have a "barn" cat to control the rodent population so that squirrels and other critters don't eat my engine harness like I see on so many cars that live in the hills.

S204STi

Quote from: ChrisV on December 22, 2009, 06:19:42 AM
Dogs are pack animals, and would have lived in caves together, given the chance. Dogs are not solitary, tied up outside away from their pack, animals. Outside dogs are worse off, both mental healthwise, and physical healthwise, and tend to live shorter lives.

And from the SPCA:

I tend to agree overall.  Some dogs do require some significant outdoor activity, such as heelers and other cattle or working dogs, but just locking the dog outdoors all the time isn't the best idea.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on December 22, 2009, 08:23:36 AM
I tend to agree overall.  Some dogs do require some significant outdoor activity, such as heelers and other cattle or working dogs, but just locking the dog outdoors all the time isn't the best idea.

I'd never keep a dog outside.  To me, that defeats the whole purpose of having a dog.

I'm not one of these people who thinks dogs should be treated exactly like humans.  They're still dogs, and I don't believe in over-pampering as some people do.  But I'd still want my dog to be in the house with me.

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on December 22, 2009, 08:25:12 AM
I'd never keep a dog outside.  To me, that defeats the whole purpose of having a dog.

I'm not one of these people who thinks dogs should be treated exactly like humans.  They're still dogs, and I don't believe in over-pampering as some people do.  But I'd still want my dog to be in the house with me.

Oh, I agree.  The dogs are never fed from the table, are never on furniture, and are trained to strict obedience to voice commands.  We often get positive remarks about the behavior of our dogs from guests.  But we still love them and like to have them nearby.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on December 22, 2009, 08:34:35 AM
Oh, I agree.  The dogs are never fed from the table, are never on furniture, and are trained to strict obedience to voice commands.  We often get positive remarks about the behavior of our dogs from guests.  But we still love them and like to have them nearby.

People don't realize that they do their dogs (and children) a great disservice when they spoil them.  The spoiled dog (or child) is generally unlikeable and annoying to be around.  I know a lot of people with ridiculously spoiled dogs.  They could be very nice dogs, but because they're so spoiled, they're difficult to be around.

We never fed our dog from the table, and she never begged at the table.  If we gave her some of our food, it was in her own bowl, after we were done eating.

r0tor

My parents has a siberian huskie... it was outside all the time because

a) it hated being inside
b) it ate anything in its reach
c) during the spring/summer the amount of hair it shed was mind boggling

However, the draw back to being chained outside all the time was basically its only use in life was looking nice and going for a walk...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

I want a Jack Russell, but they're too energetic for someone who is home two hours a day; too hard to train, too high maintenance, et al.  I've come to the conclusion that I'll never really be able to have a dog.  I can have friends that have dogs though.  That seems to be the best option.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20820.msg1228696#msg1228696 date=1261499093
I want a Jack Russell, but they're too energetic for someone who is home two hours a day; too hard to train, too high maintenance, et al.  I've come to the conclusion that I'll never really be able to have a dog.  I can have friends that have dogs though.  That seems to be the best option.

Nobody who's home 2 hours a day should have a dog.  That's why I don't get one, even though I'd love one.  Hopefully I can get one at some point.

My dad's dog (pictures above) is part Jack Russell.  She's a very smart dog, the 'deepest' dog I've ever encountered.  Most dogs, even relatively intelligent ones, are shallow and 'in the moment.'  This dog seems to think ahead and strategize.  I thought she might be a fox hybrid because of that trait.

dazzleman

Quote from: r0tor on December 22, 2009, 09:04:09 AM

a) it hated being inside

However, the draw back to being chained outside all the time was basically its only use in life was looking nice and going for a walk...

Some dogs aren't suited to being inside.  Generally, that type of dog needs a lot of room to run around, so it should live in a rural area.  I wouldn't get a breed like that because I wouldn't be able to offer the lifestyle it would need.

ChrisV

Quote from: dazzleman on December 22, 2009, 08:40:49 AM
People don't realize that they do their dogs (and children) a great disservice when they spoil them.  The spoiled dog (or child) is generally unlikeable and annoying to be around.  I know a lot of people with ridiculously spoiled dogs.  They could be very nice dogs, but because they're so spoiled, they're difficult to be around.

We never fed our dog from the table, and she never begged at the table.  If we gave her some of our food, it was in her own bowl, after we were done eating.

Exactly. It's the spoiling that's bad, not them being indoor or being treated like part of the family. What's that old saying? There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Quote from: r0tor on December 22, 2009, 09:04:09 AM

a) it hated being inside

When inside was it left alone a lot and not properly socialized? The habits you described are easily taken care of with proper socialization.

ChrisV

You have to treat a dog as a pack animal, and you are the pack leader. Do that, and you have no problems with them. If you are not a strong and fair pack leader, they will look for one, and if they can't find one, will become one. Not a good situation for behavioral issues.

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on December 22, 2009, 09:30:44 AM

When inside was it left alone a lot and not properly socialized? The habits you described are easily taken care of with proper socialization.

As soon as it was brought in the house, it would go to the door and howl nonstop until it was left outside.  There are very few success stories of a huskie living indoors and being happy and not eating everything... its just the breed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

What the SPCA quote in Chris's posts states is absolutely correct.  My wife is constantly kept busy by people who buy a dog because it's cute or fluffy and then realize too late that they don't have the ability to work with that breed, end up hating the dog, and give it up to the shelter only after destroying the animal as far as adopt-ability is concerned.  Some dogs can recover, but man... it takes a ton of work.

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on December 22, 2009, 06:46:00 AM
Have you ever had a pet?

I remember how my dog used to try to deceive us.  Originally, she used to act really guilty when she had done something wrong, but she figured out that acting guilty gave it away, so she stopped acting guilty until she was actually caught.

She also knew she wasn't allowed on certain furniture, and when we were there, she never got onto it.  But twice, when she thought nobody was home, I caught her on that furniture.  As soon as she saw me, she got off as nonchalantly as possible.

That reminds me of our dog, Frankie. My mother always got into a fit when she saw him on the couch - now, she can scream her heart out and the look Frankie gives her is nothing short of "F*ck You" - and he won't get off the couch. It's hilarious.  :lol:

Here's the little guy with his winter boots.  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

S204STi

lollerskates at the shoes.  :lol:

sportyaccordy

We definitely spoil our dog.... she can chill on the furniture & we give her people food occasionally. But she knows her boundaries. The only thing we don't like is that she barks whenever someone walks into the building (we can hear the front door). Very Napoleonic. But she's adorable.

When I leave NY I will def get a medium (maybe 30-40#) dog. I wanna get it as a puppy and raise it properly. My gf spoiled our dachsy.

S204STi

Sounds like a good alert dog.

That's something that I do appreciate about my dogs.  I discourage the dogs from barking at all outside so they aren't a nuisance but they are rewarded for barking inside.  I want to know if something is amiss.