Apparently people WILL pay $40k for a Taurus...

Started by ChrisV, December 22, 2009, 06:08:42 AM

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 23, 2009, 09:35:31 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

can't wait to see one then.
My parents owned a Gen1 wagon and a Gen2 sedan (looked almost like Gen1 but for the slimmer headlights.)

I owned 2x Gen1 and a Gen1 SHO "Plus".  And someday when I have oodles of extra cash to spend, I'm going to get another 1991 Taurus SHO "Plus" and restore/drive it on the weekends.

Honestly they were so plentiful and no one cars about them now that in about 30yrs they will be the "57 Chevy" collectible of our era. (I think..)

Nah, Civics. Few people have fond memories of their Tauruses.

2o6

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ifcar on December 24, 2009, 07:38:51 AM
Nah, Civics. Few people have fond memories of their Tauruses.

Civics were always beater commuter cars. They have had the same nameplate for a long time, but evolved.
The Taurus was BRAND NEW for 1986, and completely reshaped what an American family sedan was.
Will

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 23, 2009, 05:41:39 PM
It looks even better in the metal.  I saw a candy-apple red SHO at the local dealer.  I'd say it was the best looking car Ford has made since the original Boss 302.
I don't know about that.  I love the new Taurus but Ford has built a few others cars that are more attractive, starting with the 2010 and 2005 Mustangs, the 2003 Cobra, the 1970 Mach 1, the 2003 Mach 1, the 2010 Fusion is close, and well, that's about it.  Ford built a lot of ugly cars for a long time.

Xer0

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 24, 2009, 12:28:44 PM
I don't know about that.  I love the new Taurus but Ford has built a few others cars that are more attractive, starting with the 2010 and 2005 Mustangs, the 2003 Cobra, the 1970 Mach 1, the 2003 Mach 1, the 2010 Fusion is close, and well, that's about it.  Ford built a lot of ugly cars for a long time.

I can't believe everyone is forgetting about this bad boy

68_427

My neighbor has a Limited AWD with every option...  So I guess she isn't the only one.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 22, 2009, 09:28:11 PM
Really?  I'm kind of surprised by that.  SVT's claim to fame is the nimble handling their cars get besides the power jump.  The SHO handles very well, especially for such a big car, but it's got nothing on the SVT cars.

I think most owners who traded their SVTC's for SHO's have owned their cars for a long time (thus saving money for a new car over that time). So over the last decade or so, their family and what not needs have changed vastly.

Funny trend though, almost all SVTC owners who buy something else get: a big sedan, miata, or a motorcycle.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 24, 2009, 10:01:47 AM
Civics were always beater commuter cars. They have had the same nameplate for a long time, but evolved.
The Taurus was BRAND NEW for 1986, and completely reshaped what an American family sedan was.

The storied history of the Taurus is indeed something to behold; from revolutionary world changer to a languishing turd to a so-so average.

Few things characterize the decline of Detroit more than the Taurus life cycle (with the Ranger a sold second).

Catman

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

J86

Quote from: Catman on December 24, 2009, 04:17:19 PM
My 1993 Taurus was an immense turd.

We had a 1992 wagon which was pretty sweet....until it rusted to pieces.

SVT_Power

Quote from: J86 on December 24, 2009, 04:28:42 PM
We had a 1992 wagon which was pretty sweet....until it rusted to pieces.

so you got mercury taurus wagon to replace it?  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

2o6

My mom had an 87 or 88 (I think) Sable Wagon. I was about 3 or 4........so that was around 1996. It had an overheating problem. Come to think of it, that's kind of unacceptable. The car wasn't 10 years old.....

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 24, 2009, 10:01:47 AM

The Civic (coupe) is what's popular among today's young people, and is therefore what will be sought after when today's young people become old. The Impreza and Lancer are other possibilities, by virtue of their performance variants

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 24, 2009, 08:28:59 PM
The Civic (coupe) is what's popular among today's young people, and is therefore what will be sought after when today's young people become old. The Impreza and Lancer are other possibilities, by virtue of their performance variants

To say that a Taurus won't be, is quite simply stupid.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on December 24, 2009, 08:30:49 PM

To say that a Taurus won't be, is quite simply stupid.

Oh please. What person from this generation is going to have nostalgia to someday own a Taurus, and why?

AutobahnSHO

Will

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 24, 2009, 08:34:50 PM
Oh please. What person from this generation is going to have nostalgia to someday own a Taurus, and why?

Opinions change.

The Bel Air when it first came out was considered homely. Now people think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Besides, it stylistically revolutionized the automotive market at that time. No, it isn't a performance powerhouse, but that notability will keep some sort of following.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on December 24, 2009, 08:44:07 PM

Opinions change.

The Bel Air when it first came out was considered homely. Now people think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Besides, it stylistically revolutionized the automotive market at that time. No, it isn't a performance powerhouse, but that notability will keep some sort of following.

No one is going to say in 30 years: "I must own the car that changed the shape of the midsize family sedan of the 1980s."

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on December 24, 2009, 09:04:43 PM
No one is going to say in 30 years: "I must own the car that changed the shape of the midsize family sedan of the 1980s."

2o6's '55/'56/'57 Chevy Shoebox example is very apt. It was a plain, inexpensive, everyday man's machine that sold in profound volumes; IIRC correctly something along the lines of 300,000+ units/year when the US auto market was vastly smaller; probably equivalent to well over 1,000,000 units/year today.

Talk to people alive back then and they'll all say that NO ONE would have ever predicted the popularity of the Chevy Shoebox in the following decades. It was plain, cheap, and everywhere. NO ONE. It was the era's Taurus/Camry/Accord, etc., all wrapped into one.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on December 24, 2009, 08:34:50 PM

I had to track down a first year, mint condition Taurus/Sable when Jack Telnak spoke at the concours where I worked. That was an insanely difficult task, but I did it, and the car was probably in better condition than several of the multi-hundred thousand-dollar cars. It was fantastic.

The 1986 Taurus is the "car that killed the pinstripe." It is a marvel of what innovation can become in the industry, and it really did bring forth a whole new marketplace with it. It some 40something wanted the nicest Sable in the country outside of what Ford or Chik-Fil-A own, you can bet there are other people who will be just as obsessed in our age bracket.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on December 24, 2009, 10:34:09 PM
2o6's '55/'56/'57 Chevy Shoebox example is very apt. It was a plain, inexpensive, everyday man's machine that sold in profound volumes; IIRC correctly something along the lines of 300,000+ units/year when the US auto market was vastly smaller; probably equivalent to well over 1,000,000 units/year today.

Talk to people alive back then and they'll all say that NO ONE would have ever predicted the popularity of the Chevy Shoebox in the following decades. It was plain, cheap, and everywhere. NO ONE. It was the era's Taurus/Camry/Accord, etc., all wrapped into one.

+1  Same thing goes for the Impalas of the sixties.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 24, 2009, 11:26:44 PM
+1  Same thing goes for the Impalas of the sixties.

Those already have a following- the newer Impalas are quite popular with certain segments of the population around here.
(Especially the really big one, with RIMZ, blackened windows, and big muffler tipz.....)
Will

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on December 24, 2009, 10:34:09 PM

That's where I'm going with with the Civic. The difference is that the Taurus left a lot more people with a sour taste in their mouths than the Civic did.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 25, 2009, 07:36:45 AM
That's where I'm going with with the Civic. The difference is that the Taurus left a lot more people with a sour taste in their mouths than the Civic did.

So......the Taurus will be forgotten because everyone will aspire to own JUST the Civic?

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on December 25, 2009, 09:12:53 AM

So......the Taurus will be forgotten because everyone will aspire to own JUST the Civic?

Who said forgotten? I remember many cars that I'd never want to own.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ifcar on December 25, 2009, 07:36:45 AM

The Civic has NEVER been "WOW A NEW CIVIC!"

Whereas the Taurus was WOW in 1986, 1989 (SHO introduced,) and currently.
(although I personally believe the current WOW is over-rated..)
Will

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 25, 2009, 10:55:47 AM
The Civic has NEVER been "WOW A NEW CIVIC!"

Whereas the Taurus was WOW in 1986, 1989 (SHO introduced,) and currently.
(although I personally believe the current WOW is over-rated..)

I can see the SHO approaching collector status easily. But I just don't see people flocking to the car in the future based on the fact that it was sleek by 1986 standards.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 25, 2009, 11:18:54 AM
I can see the SHO approaching collector status easily. But I just don't see people flocking to the car in the future based on the fact that it was sleek by 1986 standards.

The Taurus (when it was introduced) had much more charisma than a Civic of the same era.

It was more than sleek: It revolutionized the automotive industry for that time period.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on December 25, 2009, 11:46:24 AM

The Taurus (when it was introduced) had much more charisma than a Civic of the same era.

It was more than sleek: It revolutionized the automotive industry for that time period.

To be clear: I'm not saying people are going to seek out 80s Civics. What people, like Wimmer, will want from that era are the last American boats. Not the first attempt at being modern.