2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

Payman

The 2010 Detroit Motor Show will see Ford reveal the 2011 Ford Mustang GT with a new 5.0 liter V8 powerplant but thanks to the wonderful world of the Internet, we now have two leaked images of the new Mustang GT to show you. The Mustang in the image above has the 5.0 badge on its fenders and the other image which can be found after the jump shows us the 5.0 liter engine under the hood.

This new V8 is said to produce 412hp at 6,500 revs and 528Nm of torque. The outgoing 4.6 liter V8 outputs a mundane 315hp (for its engine size) and 440Nm of torque. There should be two transmission options including a 6-speed manual as well as a 6-speed automatic. The engine is also rumored to deliver about 25 mpg, believed to be based on highway calculation. That figure translates to about 9.4 liters per 100 kilometers.

I believe I'm now a Mustang convert.  :wub:

Payman

I just noticed that it's already talked about in the Mustang thread.  :hammerhead:

The new 32V VVT 5.0 Mustang GT is significant enough to warrant its own thread.  :ohyeah:

Onslaught

GoCougs

But those wheels are terrible.

Catman

I hate the wheels too.  Hopefully they have some choices.

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on December 26, 2009, 09:22:02 PM
But those wheels are terrible.
Yes, they do suck. A mustang looks best in a classic 5 star rim. I also do think this red looks very good on them. A dark blue or black would be better.

GoCougs

Quote from: Onslaught on December 26, 2009, 09:20:25 PM
That's a fine looking motor.

Quite reminiscent of another fine looking motor, the original SHO Yamaha V6:

Vinsanity

I think those wheels would look good in a larger size. And of course I was hoping that they'd pay homage to the 5.0 of the 1980's. The badge on the engine cover is a dead ringer for the one on the Fox body fenders.

The improved power:weight ratio and better transmission now makes the Mustang the unquestionable performance king among its American competitors, but I can't help but think that the Camaro still looks much better. It's as if I was hoping the new engine would help the Mustang look more fresh again, to no avail. Well, at least the Mustang has a better interior.

SVT666

They look like the same wheels that are on the GT500KR, but on the KR they're painted silver instead being chrome and they look much better.  I don't want to have to wait until 2015 to buy another Mustang, but I might have to.  I mean, how am I supposed to buy a 300 hp version with this thing out there?  I guess I'll just have to supercharge it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 26, 2009, 11:14:09 PM
I think those wheels would look good in a larger size. And of course I was hoping that they'd pay homage to the 5.0 of the 1980's. The badge on the engine cover is a dead ringer for the one on the Fox body fenders.

The improved power:weight ratio and better transmission now makes the Mustang the unquestionable performance king among its American competitors, but I can't help but think that the Camaro still looks much better. It's as if I was hoping the new engine would help the Mustang look more fresh again, to no avail. Well, at least the Mustang has a better interior.
I have seen both in the flesh.... the Camaro looks sharp, but it also carries a lot of visual heft (even in what's supposed to be slimming; black). The Mustang is still big, but not as big, and it has some pretty cool details. I still wish it were about 90% as big though; and I get the feeling they could save a lot of space by moving to an IRS, in-wheel suspension setup. IMO most of the Mustang's heft is in the rear; they cleaned up the front a lot.

Still, this motor is a big step in the right direction. I wonder if this is the same 5.0 that's in the new Jags? I mean it has the same level of complexity lol. Can't see this costing any less

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 27, 2009, 04:50:38 AM
I have seen both in the flesh.... the Camaro looks sharp, but it also carries a lot of visual heft (even in what's supposed to be slimming; black). The Mustang is still big, but not as big, and it has some pretty cool details. I still wish it were about 90% as big though; and I get the feeling they could save a lot of space by moving to an IRS, in-wheel suspension setup. IMO most of the Mustang's heft is in the rear; they cleaned up the front a lot.

Still, this motor is a big step in the right direction. I wonder if this is the same 5.0 that's in the new Jags? I mean it has the same level of complexity lol. Can't see this costing any less

I'm pretty certain this is an entirely different motor from the 5.0L Jag motor.  The Jag motor was unique to Jag, and went to Tata Motors along with the rest of the brand.  I'd be very surprised if Ford let Tata have that motor if they were planning to use it in Ford vehicles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

I think I've grown out of the shiny rims age.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Onslaught on December 27, 2009, 09:53:24 AM

Unfortunately, Ford and GM haven't.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on December 27, 2009, 09:53:24 AM

I'm so over chrome as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 27, 2009, 03:32:11 PM
Unfortunately, Ford and GM haven't.
GM is really hung up on chrome wheels.  I never liked them.  I don't understand the appeal.

Payman

I like black wheels that has a chrome trim ring:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Quote from: Raza  on December 27, 2009, 09:43:30 PM
Nope, I'm over that too. 

They look so cool on the '80's 911 Turbo.

Raza

Quote from: Payman on December 27, 2009, 10:07:15 PM
They look so cool on the '80's 911 Turbo.

I'd be okay with that.  The cassette tape wheels are classic.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Payman on December 27, 2009, 06:33:21 PM
I like black wheels that has a chrome trim ring:

That's not chrome. That's polished aluminum.

That's not a trim ring either, that's the rim.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this five point oh puts up!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 28, 2009, 01:18:18 AM
I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this five point oh puts up!

With an additional 125 hp and ~400 lbs the GT500 only gained but 0.1 sec 0-60 and 1/4 mile on the Camaro SS. Using that as a yardstick the 5.0 GT should still be short of the Camaro SS. If the GT is as fast or faster than the Camaro SS, Ford has some ultra mega 'splain' to do to both past and current (unhappy) GT500 customers and shoppers...

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2009, 02:14:22 AM
With an additional 125 hp and ~400 lbs the GT500 only gained but 0.1 sec 0-60 and 1/4 mile on the Camaro SS. Using that as a yardstick the 5.0 GT should still be short of the Camaro SS. If the GT is as fast or faster than the Camaro SS, Ford has some ultra mega 'splain' to do to both past and current (unhappy) GT500 customers and shoppers...

Holden found themselves in a similar situation when the LS1 replaced the Holden V8 - the $85,000 HSV models bought the year before were suddenly no more faster than $30k base-model Commodores optioned with the new engine.

And I'm not sure what to think about this new V8. It's good from the Mustang's perspective, but what this means for the Falcon V8 I'm not sure. Come 2012 when it's (well past) time for the current 422hp 5.4 to be put out to pasture, unless there's a fundamental weight reduction program on the cards, a new engine with less horsepower, torque and displacement (from a marketing perspective) than both the current engine and Holden's 6.2 doesn't bode well.

Mind you, a lighter Falcon with a 412hp 5.0 V8 would be mighty fine indeed.

ChrisV

I want this engine and the new 6 speed for my Comet. At just over 400 lbs, it's the same size as the Lexus engine I already have and about the same weight as the old school small block V8 that was in it, stock.

But oh...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Payman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 27, 2009, 10:18:02 PM
That's not chrome. That's polished aluminum.

That's not a trim ring either, that's the rim.

Yes... and yes, I was just describing the look of the rim. Black inside with a shiny lip.

Payman

Quote from: ChrisV on December 28, 2009, 07:37:27 AM

I want this engine and the new 6 speed for my Comet. At just over 400 lbs, it's the same size as the Lexus engine I already have and about the same weight as the old school small block V8 that was in it, stock.

But oh...

I wonder what it costs from Ford. This 302 would be great in my future FFR Cobra... a perfect melding of old and new.

S204STi

The BBS RSRs on the racer look nice though...

ChrisV

I actually would put a set of these wheels on there, along with the BOSS 302 stripe package...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

S204STi

Finally a Mustang that doesn't have to make excuses for a lackluster power train.  Now if only they'd get with the 21st century on that rear axle design... ;)

Nethead

Quote from: R-inge on December 28, 2009, 05:11:42 PM
Finally a Mustang that doesn't have to make excuses for a lackluster power train.  Now if only they'd get with the 21st century on that rear axle design... ;)

R-inge:  A 540 horsepower GT500 with a Tremec 6060 6-speed powertrain is lackluster? :confused:

What's in your garage?
So many stairs...so little time...