2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on April 16, 2011, 10:55:08 AM
Plenty of companies make a great M/T - including Tremec - it's a pretty easy thing to get right.

It should be easy to get right, but as I posted Tremec has also had problems with the T-45, T-56 and the 6060.

Getrag is a well established trans company making units for BMW, toyota, Ford, porsche and ferrari among others. Hardly a fly by night company delivering low-scale transmissions.

I suspect the decision had to do with keeping weight down.

Mustangfan2003

I drove by a Ford dealer last night and I saw a fully loaded GT for about 38k but they had a 2011 left on the lot with that had about everything, even Brembos, and it was marked down to $32k.  Why must I still be in college?

r0tor

A) the tremec may be strong, but it absolutely blows in shifter feel and has problems with synchro engagement on quick gear changes

B) My rx8 also has issues with cold temps and the.first shift or two in the morning.  It's all from Tue oil viscocity.  Nothing to be concerned about - just double clutch the first couple shifts
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Mustangfan2003

My car too feels a little harder to shift in temps below freezing until the car has warmed up. 

MX793

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on April 18, 2011, 10:52:14 AM
My car too feels a little harder to shift in temps below freezing until the car has warmed up. 

Stiff shifting when temperatures are below freezing is normal and to be expected.  Reluctant/clunky gearshifts when it's cool but above freezing doesn't seem right to me.  Although the past few days mine has been pretty good.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Nethead

Quote from: Nethead on April 15, 2011, 09:41:30 AM
Gentlemen, pardon my absence recently, currently, and likely in the future.  The Nethead here has been on a performance enhancing buildup of his own--on the Nethead here hisself.

I've been a regular at a school of medicine fitness center for going on three years, 3-5 evenings/week unless I ain't in lovely Beaver County.  I've upped the level of tune, having added a personal trainer (at company expense for the first twelve weeks, no less!)--she's as tough as she is hot and she is mucho hot.  Thank God I had already been hitting the iron for 2.5 years before this opportunity fell into my lap via a company lottery for three dozen employees out of the hundreds seeking the chance to get serious physical training on the company expense account.  

To meet the requirements of the program, extensive off-the-job work-outs are mandatory--gym privileges are part of the package but the WifeDude and I already have all that in our home equipment and at the school of medicine fitness center (however, the gym privileges have added an Olympics-sized swimming pool).

I needed to add some work-outs to be on top of this--I led our team to victory in Team Challenge 1, but I ain't sittin' on my laurels!  Just fifty feet or so outside our operations center here is a 134-step 5-story stairwell--well-lit, with windows, potted plants, and prints of paintings in frames (and the stairs themselves are all vinyl-coated for traction, of all damned things!).  The Nethead here ain't known as Luke Stairwalker for nothin', as I had been doin' an eleven-story stairwell three times in thirteen minutes taking two steps at a stride on all three circuits for over two years.  Now, I do the 134-step stairwell for my entire sixty-minute lunchtime--and can complete 24 times up and 24 times down in under 58 minutes.  Currently, it takes me sixty minutes and eight seconds to complete 25 full circuits, but I'm improving weekly.  24 full circuits is 3,216 steps up and 3,216 steps down, and 25 full circuits adds another 134 up and another 134 down.

Fitness done well takes time, and it has impacted my CarSPIN participation dramatically.  I am not dead--I just smell that way.  I'll check by as time permits, but time ain't permittin' very much.  I expect that to continue, so carry on!  Roger Wilco, Over and Out...

On Wednesday I broke the 25-full-circuits-barrier bigtime--doin' 25 ups-&-downs in 57 minutes, 40 seconds (fade in with the "Rocky" theme song here :rockon:).  3,350 steps up plus 3,350 steps back down :praise:. Do not try this at home--I am a professional...
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on April 25, 2011, 04:54:28 PM
Watch out for the brakes breaking on you.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/boss-mustang-failed-brake-test-14593.html
The reaction by Ford was swift.  I want a Boss in a bad bad way.

Mustangfan2003

If anyone is in the market for a loaded GT they might as well pay a little more for the Boss. 

SVT666

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on April 25, 2011, 08:21:10 PM
If anyone is in the market for a loaded GT they might as well pay a little more for the Boss. 
Well, it's not going for sticker for one.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mustangfan2003

Well maybe not now.  For myself I'd love to see the prices settle down in a year or so.  

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20861.msg1506491#msg1506491 date=1303784604
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4
It's the fastest Mustang ever made and it's barely more expensive than the GT.  It's going to sell for well over sticker for a while.  The GT500, which wasn't even properly executed, was going for as much as $100,000 at some dealerships, whereas the best and fastest Mustang ever built is going for about $10K over sticker.  Don't forget, this is a Mustang that can beat an M3 Competition and an Audi R8 around Laguna Seca.  It's still a good deal if you ask me.

SVT666

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on April 25, 2011, 08:24:05 PM
Well maybe not now.  For myself I'd love to see the prices settle down in a year or so.  
When I'm ready in a couple years, I'm going to try and find a Boss or a GT500.  They'll probably be selling for about the same money.

Eye of the Tiger

My Accent is the fastest Accent ever made, and I paid under sticker for it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 25, 2011, 08:39:42 PM

:lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 25, 2011, 08:39:42 PM

Isn't the next Accent coming with 130 hp?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2011, 09:24:54 PM
Isn't the next Accent coming with 130 hp?

It's not here, yet.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Mustangfan2003

I talked to a guy at the all Mustang show last month with a 2011 GT500, that I rode in btw, and I asked him if he wished he waited for the new Boss.  He said no since the Boss didn't come with all the luxury stuff like leather, gps and such.  Either way I had a blast riding in his car. 

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2011, 08:36:36 PM
It's the fastest Mustang ever made and it's barely more expensive than the GT.  It's going to sell for well over sticker for a while.  The GT500, which wasn't even properly executed, was going for as much as $100,000 at some dealerships, whereas the best and fastest Mustang ever built is going for about $10K over sticker.  Don't forget, this is a Mustang that can beat an M3 Competition and an Audi R8 around Laguna Seca.  It's still a good deal if you ask me.

And all those speculators for the GT500 were all shafted when it turned out the GT500 was selling easily well under sticker not long after.  If history has proven anything, it's that to never ever pay over sticker for a Ford special edition, because it's not going to be very special to begin with, and even if production is limited, Ford is just going to make an even "specialer" edition right after yours sells out that makes your special edition next to worthless.

The Boss might be marked up for a little while, but pretty soon they will be discounted just like every other Mustang.

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on April 26, 2011, 10:13:29 AM
And all those speculators for the GT500 were all shafted when it turned out the GT500 was selling easily well under sticker not long after.  If history has proven anything, it's that to never ever pay over sticker for a Ford special edition, because it's not going to be very special to begin with, and even if production is limited, Ford is just going to make an even "specialer" edition right after yours sells out that makes your special edition next to worthless.

The Boss might be marked up for a little while, but pretty soon they will be discounted just like every other Mustang.
GT500s sold for over sticker for 3 years.  The new GT500 is a pretty great car and the Boss 302 is extremely special.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 565 on April 26, 2011, 10:13:29 AM

If history has proved anything, it has proved that a Mustang with a Shelby or Boss badge is worth a small fortune if you're willing to maintain it and wait a couple of dozen years. 
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

the Teuton

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 26, 2011, 10:33:11 AM
If history has proved anything, it has proved that a Mustang with a Shelby or Boss badge is worth a small fortune if you're willing to maintain it and wait a couple of dozen years. 

That may have something to do with Barrett-Jackson being a bunch of exploitative scam artists, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Quote from: SVT666 on April 26, 2011, 10:22:19 AM
GT500s sold for over sticker for 3 years.  The new GT500 is a pretty great car and the Boss 302 is extremely special.

GT500's were optimistically listed for over sticker at certain dealers for a long time just like there some dealers that still list Z06's over sticker.

However you could buy GT500s at sticker not long after.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?7054-Is-any-dealer-selling-GT-500-s-at-sticker

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 26, 2011, 10:33:11 AM

Actually most of those late 1960s to 1970s limited edition muscle cars (limited edition vettes, camaros, challengers and chargers) are worth alot of money because they represented something of a anomaly of a last hurrah of muscle cars before the oil crisis neutered them all.  It has nothing to do with the Shelby and Boss badge.  If it was, then you'd expect other money maker names like "Z06" or Hertz to instantly imbue these cars with more value (and they don't).

Ford tried plently of limited/special edition Mustangs afterwards, usually touted as the newest and best and most special, and few of them (if any) are worth anything at all over their original price. 

Thinking that this new Boss will be collectable like the old Boss is quite as delusional as thinking the new Z06 is going to be collectible as the original C2 Z06 package cars.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 565 on April 26, 2011, 10:47:34 AM
Actually most of those late 1960s to 1970s limited edition muscle cars (limited edition vettes, camaros, challengers and chargers) are worth alot of money because they represented something of a anomaly of a last hurrah of muscle cars before the oil crisis neutered them all.  It has nothing to do with the Shelby and Boss badge.  If it was, then you'd expect other money maker names like "Z06" or Hertz to instantly imbue these cars with more value (and they don't).

Ford tried plently of limited/special edition Mustangs afterwards, usually touted as the newest and best and most special, and few of them (if any) are worth anything at all over their original price. 

Thinking that this new Boss will be collectable like the old Boss is quite as delusional as thinking the new Z06 is going to be collectible as the original C2 Z06 package cars.
It really depends more on how many are built and if there is any racing pedigree.  None of the mass production manufacturers has built anything in the last 4 or 5 decades that is particularly noteworthy.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

the Teuton

I think of Fords many Mustangs as constantly tweaking a solid idea. Unless it's hand-build in a Las Vegas Shelby factory and signed by the man himself, I don't see any of these modern Mustangs being worth anything with the exception of the Cobra R.

GoCougs

Nah, you can buy GT500s at sticker all day long after the first few months from its introduction. Same will be with this Boss too. They may be popular and good but at the end of the day they're still just rapidly depreciating durable goods like any other car, not Rembrandts.

And 565 has it 100% right; it was time frame and history not badging. There were plenty of "Boss" and "Shelby" cars and other notable name plates such as "Z-28" to "Z06" to "R/T" from the '70s on onward, yet they're all worth squat.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2011, 12:39:09 PM
Nah, you can buy GT500s at sticker all day long after the first few months from its introduction. Same will be with this Boss too. They may be popular and good but at the end of the day they're still just rapidly depreciating durable goods like any other car, not Rembrandts.
Really?  The first year sold out in a matter of months.  The second year sold out very quickly too.  It was only the third year that the GT500s were selling for MSRP.

QuoteAnd 565 has it 100% right; it was time frame and history not badging. There were plenty of "Boss" and "Shelby" cars and other notable name plates such as "Z-28" to "Z06" to "R/T" from the '70s on onward, yet they're all worth squat.
That's because they were all shitty cars.  The new Z06 is quite a car and it will be worth something in the future if you never drive it.