2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 24, 2010, 12:20:12 AM
The 2011 Mustang Order Guides have been released and they are making a 3.73 rear axle as an option on the GT.  That's awesome.  Up until now you had to get that gear set in the after market.   

3.73 gears are an option for the 2010 GT (~$500, includes dual piston brake calipers).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 24, 2010, 04:43:40 PM
3.73 gears are an option for the 2010 GT (~$500, includes dual piston brake calipers).
Were they?  Damn, I missed that somewhere.  I thought it was 3.55s that were optional.

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 24, 2010, 06:30:59 PM
Were they?  Damn, I missed that somewhere.  I thought it was 3.55s that were optional.

3.55 was also optional on the manual equipped cars, IIRC.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Sigma Projects

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 23, 2010, 02:48:01 PM
So the big "CHEVROLET" and bowtie on the valve covers of the LSX engines is ricer too?  Personally I love it when the manufacturer makes cool looking valve covers.

No I don't see normal branding as being ricer, just the over statement about things. Like if it says ford on the block I would assume it's "Powered by Ford" it's just very redundant in a ford vehicle.

Like the example some one showed with the old engine saying "Power by Ford" that was from a Sunbeam right? And seeing the Power by Ford on the valve covers in that engine makes sense as it's not in a Ford vehicle and Ford wants everyone to know it's their beast of an engine. And I too like it when manufacturers make nice valve covers/intake manifolds since most engines now just have plastic covers which kinda seem lame.

I mean wasn't the Power by Ford thing for race cars that you couldn't tell was a ford?
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

giant_mtb

Sigma Projects

giant_mtb

In vehicle, it has valve covers with a certain three-word phrase on them. :devil:

Sigma Projects

If it's in a Ford then the "Valve covers" are lame.

Sigma Projects

Ok, that's more of an exception to me since the car is suppose to be very nostalgic and probably like all ford race cars they had the Powered by Ford. But regular cars or Grand Tourers just seems redundant tacky.

giant_mtb

Meh.  You buy a box of popsicles by brand X.  All 10 popsicles in that box have brand X's name on it.

Who cares?

SVT666

I think it looks cool.  I think it would look cool if it was "Powered By Chevrolet" in a Corvette too.

Sigma Projects

Having brand names on things don't bother me, it's if the Popsicle said "Made by Brand X" it's like really? But whatever everyone likes different things.

omicron

You'd all have loved the Chrysler by Chrysler, then.

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 24, 2010, 08:41:41 PM
I think it looks cool.  I think it would look cool if it was "Powered By Chevrolet" in a Corvette too.

+1. Same goes for BMW M-Power, Hemi, Edelbrock and the like.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 25, 2010, 07:37:41 AM
omicron:  The nineteen-page article in 5.0 Mustang says neither the bore nor the stroke of the new 5.0L V8 are set up for bore or stroke increases--the bore spacing remains that of the 4.6L/5.4L/6.8L so that the engine could be built on the same tooling as the tooling for the current V8s (to save you money).  The thinner cylinder liners (likely the performance liners developed for the current 'Cammer 5.0L V8 used in the Grand-Am series) of the new 5.0L already have a slightly larger bore than the bore of the 4.6L.  The pistons have short skirts, which nevertheless get pretty close to the crankshaft counterweights as they reach the bottom of their strokes (to save you weight).  Basically, the maximum reliable overboring and stroking is not likely to net you a detectable gain in power over the stock bore & stroke.  As I have stated before, 5.0 liters will soon be big displacement in US-produced vehicles meant for non-commercial customers.  If you need a lot more cubes, go with an aftermarket engine--such as the 818 CID versions of the Boss 429 of '69 & '70.  Then you be big :ohyeah:
I think this engine would probably respond in a big way to the heads being Ported and Polished, wilder cams, a freer flowing intake and exhaust, and a dyno tune.  The 3V 4.6L responded in a huge way to those mods.  I have an issue of MM&FF where they dyno'd a stock 3V 4.6L at 262 RWHP, then swapped the heads for Stage 2 ported heads with Stage 1 camshafts and rolled it again at 331 RWHP.  Then they swapped out the intake from the filter up to the flange on the manifold (manifold stayed stock) and loaded a tune (not dyno tuned) and spun the rollers to 352 RWHP.  That's roughly 430 HP at the flywheel.  Those mods cost $2000 for the heads, $950 for the camshafts, $800 for the intake, and $500 for the tune.  So for roughly $4300 you get 430 HP in an '05-'10 Mustang GT.  That's supercharged power for less dough.

ChrisV

Quote from: Sigma Projects on January 24, 2010, 08:03:58 PM
If it's in a Ford then the "Valve covers" are lame.

No, you're just being a bitch, trying to find something to complain about.

it's supposed to be nostalgic period, regardless of what it's in. Same with putting Chevrolet on the valve covers IN A CHEVY. Or big Honda letters on teh valve cover IN A HONDA. You already know the car youre looking at, right? It's all the same thing. Get the feck over it.

Jesus, on forums full of car enthusiasts, you would think that people would not LOOK for ways of being petty and crass about cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on January 25, 2010, 10:11:55 AM

it's supposed to be nostalgic period, regardless of what it's in. Same with putting Chevrolet on the valve covers IN A CHEVY. Or big Honda letters on teh valve cover IN A HONDA. You already know the car youre looking at, right? It's all the same thing. Get the feck over it.

Jesus, on forums full of car enthusiasts, you would think that people would not LOOK for ways of being petty and crass about cars.
Don't let it get to you.  Some people will find reasons not to like something to justify their dislike for it.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 24, 2010, 08:41:41 PM

Nah, that would be stupid too.

Employing nostalgic hyperbole advertising of trade name is cool; "Powered by BOSS/Hemi/Thunderchief/Fireball/Magnum whatever" would be fine.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 25, 2010, 10:49:32 AM
Nah, that would be stupid too.

Employing nostalgic hyperbole advertising of trade name is cool; "Powered by BOSS/Hemi/Thunderchief/Fireball/Magnum whatever" would be fine.

That would be cool too.  Too bad your opinion doesn't matter though.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 25, 2010, 01:46:13 PM
But this engine is so endowed with the tricks of the trade that boost and/or chemicals is about all that can be added to make a substantial difference here--the limits of natural-aspiration tech have been boinked quite well
Well see that's just not true.  Porting and polishing, larger valvetrain, cams, intake, and tune are pretty standard stuff and I've been reading that some aftermarket tuners are already seeing big gains from the "tricks of the trade".  This is a hell of an engine with shit loads of potential from everything I've been hearing.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: ChrisV on January 25, 2010, 10:11:55 AM

I guess you did not read my last post, I said "But whatever everyone likes different things". As in I'm not going to argue anymore. :rolleyes:

68_427

It isn't a used pacecar...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on January 28, 2010, 09:21:53 AM
It isn't a used pacecar...
It will be when Ron Pratte gets it.  

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT666 on January 28, 2010, 09:24:06 AM
It will be when Ron Pratte gets it. 
That's one car collection I'd love to see.  He bought Shelby's "Supersnake" a couple of years ago for $5 million.  As well, he seems to end up with most of the "charity" cars; such as the Daytona 500 pace car.  Good guy.  Has more money than God.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 29, 2010, 11:17:13 AM
68_427:  Correct as usual, '68!  The Nethead here stands corrected!  Pratte bought it before the race so it is actually a new pacecar!  God I love those front brakes!
It will be a used one when he finally gets it.

68_427

Lol, I was just being a smart ass.  They should let him pace the race, or at least pace it until the green flag drops.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

The 5.0 makes the cover (along with the CTS-V Coupe) of the C&D March issue, but they don't get to drive the car. I thought we were gonna get some performance numbers!  :rage:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 31, 2010, 11:10:00 AM
The 5.0 makes the cover (along with the CTS-V Coupe) of the C&D March issue, but they don't get to drive the car. I thought we were gonna get some performance numbers!  :rage:

Another stupid auto rag giving us pics of a car that we can see on the intrawebs but nothing else.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

NOW, we're talking!  This is the GT500 they should have given the world last year.

Unveiled: 2011 Ford Shelby GT500
02/08/2010, 2:27 PM
BY MARK KLEIS

Leftlane brought you some teaser info and a video showing off Ford?s latest SVT offering last week, and now we have the official details that make up this new muscle car. Like the previous Shelby GT500, this latest offering is a joint effort between Ford?s Special Vehicle Team (SVT) and Carroll Shelby.

The 2011 Mustang features all-new V6 and V8 engines for the volume offerings, and for the GT500 Ford is going to an all-aluminum version of the 5.4-liter supercharged V8 that was in the 2010 GT500. This new engine is good for a 102 pound weight decrease, as well as 10 horsepower bump over the outgoing model ? putting total output at 550 horsepower and 510 lb-ft. of torque.

?Cutting weight to improve performance is a tradition among hot rodders,? said Carroll Shelby in a statement released to the media. ?It might not be as sexy as adding more horsepower or bigger brakes, but shaving pounds off of a car is the single smartest move you can make.?

One piece of technology that helped to make this muscle car a little slimmer was the addition of a Plasma Transferred Wire Arc cylinder lining. This Ford-exclusive technology is being applied for the first time, and helps to reduce weight by 8.5 pounds while also reducing friction within the piston rings and cylinder bores by coating the inside of the cylinder bores with special nanoparticles. Ford also says that this new technology will provide for better durability and improved heat transfer.

Ford also points out that this new Shelby Mustang is uses an engine with roots in the now discontinued Ford GT supercar ? but with improved block structure through the use of a unique bulkhead chilled process and six-bolt billet main bearing caps. Ford says that the 2011 Shelby GT500 engine will exceed Ford GT performance due to its superior supercharger technology.

With increased power comes?increased fuel efficiency?
Bucking the trend of range-topping muscle cars receiving a gas guzzler?s tax, Ford says the 2011 Shelby GT500 will be the first modern Shelby without a gas guzzler tax, thanks to the EPA-projected 15 mpg city, and 23 mpg highway ratings. Ford?s engine changes also result in 80 percent torque being available between 1,750 and 6,250 rpm, along with a larger two-row intercooler that delivers 40 percent more cooling capacity.

Ford achieved the increase in fuel economy through a combination of weight savings from the use of an all-aluminum engine block, improved body and undercarriage aerodynamics and the addition of Electric Power Assisted Steering.

New performance features for 2011
Likely the most significant option change for the GT500 is the SVT Performance Package ? giving the GT500 a track-ready performance pack from the factory. This package includes specially developed Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires, a higher rear axle ratio, stiffer springs, lighter wheels and cosmetic changes for both the coupe and convertible. Ford attributes a 3.0-second lap time savings over the 2010 coupe on the 2.3-mile test track.

Ford has also lowered the 2011 by 11 millimeters up front, and 8 millimeters out back for improved handling. SVT says it added slotted brake dust shields to help improve brake cooling and handling, as well as a new pedal box with is aimed at improving clutch and pedal efforts.

Refinement upgrades
Ford says that its 2011 Shelby GT500 will also enjoy a 20 percent decrease in road noise ? achieved through the use of strategically placed sound dampening materials. The end result? Ford says drivers and passengers will now enjoy more of the exhaust and engine noise, and less of the wind and road.
Ford also stiffened the chassis on the convertible by 12 percent over the outgoing model ? allowing for improved lateral stiffness. Ford achieved this improvement with added gussets to the V-brace, an increased secondary crossmember, a front Z-brace was added and A-pillar stiffening foam has been added as well.

?One of the biggest changes for this Shelby is that the convertible acts and feels like a coupe,? said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief nameplate engineer. ?Before, they had a very different character, and the convertible is taking a big step in the sportiness and handling precision area, without degrading the ride.?
Ford also pointed out that it has changed the exhaust system for 2011 ? the new 2.75 inch exhaust helped contribute to the 10 hp increase and a more aggressive tone.

Odds, ends and additions
another fairly major change for the 2011 Shelby is the option for a glass roof coupe ? presumably the same unit available on the standard Mustang.
The Shelby GT500 now comes with standard HID headlamps, options MyKey technology, an intergrated spotter mirror and fold-down rear headrests for maximum rearward visibility.