2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on March 11, 2010, 12:42:45 PM
christ.... who would have thunk they day would come when mustang loyalists would be bragging about V-Tak  :facepalm:

...is this one of the warnings of a cougspacalypse?

Nah - the real crow eating will come in 2013 when the next gen 'Stang debuts with IRS...

Laconian

christ.... who would have thunk they day would come when mustang loyalists would be bragging about V-Tak  :facepalm:

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

i've always been one of the guys that would tell musclecar heads that VTEC was an important milestone in engine management, and that many of us old school hot rod engine builders woudl have loved to have had that tech back in teh day. it's like haivng a stock daily driver street cam for puttering around, and then swapping out that cam for a race version when you want to get on it, automatically, then swapping back to the stock cam when you want to go back to daily driving. It's the holy grail of cam compromise (i.e. removing that compromise).

Or, in your case, likie driving around smoothly on stock ports, then automatically opening up the ports to J ports when you want to make power, then closing them back up automatically when you want to putt around again.

It's about time that the V8 guys got not just that tech, but in a DOHC package that is also rather compact and light, unlike previous OHC V8s from everyone but Toyota.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on March 11, 2010, 03:08:20 PM
Nah - the real crow eating will come in 2013 when the next gen 'Stang debuts with IRS...

But Cougs the Mustang doesn't need IRS, they just, you know, want to keep improving the breed!

sportyaccordy

Can't wait for an IRS Mustang. Hell, the V6 will probably be a world class entry level GT. I really look forward to it.

Vinsanity

OR...you can just get yourself a muscle car that already has IRS...

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 12, 2010, 05:19:37 PM
OR...you can just get yourself a muscle car that already has IRS...
Why would you do that when the Mustang already outhandles it with the log in the back?

GoCougs

For the 24th time I remind the audience that the Camaro SS out-handles/out-everything the Mustang GT w/out Track Pack.

Meaning, if/when the Camaro is available with an optional ride- and road noise-compromising suspension package analogous to the Mustang GT's Track Pack, said Camaro SS will also be the better handler.

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2010, 07:03:58 PM
For the 24th time I remind the audience that the Camaro SS out-handles/out-everything the Mustang GT w/out Track Pack.

Meaning, if/when the Camaro is available with an optional ride- and road noise-compromising suspension package analogous to the Mustang GT's Track Pack, said Camaro SS will also be the better handler.

So?  I just want to cruise around with my elbow out the window.  I think the Mustang is better for this as well as other things.  The Camaro is weird.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2010, 07:03:58 PM

You're comparing the Mustang with a Camaro that doesn't exist?  Who's the apologist now?

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on March 12, 2010, 08:07:44 AM
i've always been one of the guys that would tell musclecar heads that VTEC was an important milestone in engine management, and that many of us old school hot rod engine builders woudl have loved to have had that tech back in teh day. it's like haivng a stock daily driver street cam for puttering around, and then swapping out that cam for a race version when you want to get on it, automatically, then swapping back to the stock cam when you want to go back to daily driving. It's the holy grail of cam compromise (i.e. removing that compromise).

Or, in your case, likie driving around smoothly on stock ports, then automatically opening up the ports to J ports when you want to make power, then closing them back up automatically when you want to putt around again.

It's about time that the V8 guys got not just that tech, but in a DOHC package that is also rather compact and light, unlike previous OHC V8s from everyone but Toyota.

I think it would be great. It would open up a lot more possibilities as well. But like you said, most OHC engines aren't the trimmest package.

SVT32V

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 13, 2010, 10:37:08 PM
I think it would be great. It would open up a lot more possibilities as well. But like you said, most OHC engines aren't the trimmest package.

The 5.0 mustang is though at only 430 lbs.

S204STi

Trim perhaps meaning overall size?

Rich

Well, the delivery is garanteed no later than 25 May, but I need it NLT May 4th, hopefully May 2nd.  I've heard there's a delay at the plant and it seems kind of iffy.  We'll see what happens....

:(
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

That sucks man.  Ford was 10 days late with our car.

r0tor

I'm confused by all this exciting talk about variable valve timing... clearly the Mustang has had V-Tec for at least 5 years now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igPYdFM8Jjw
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Yeah, as if Japanese didn't have variable valve timing in econo cars 20 years ago. May be new to the Mustang but it ain't nothing new to just about anyone else...

And does anyone know what MPG the 2011 Mustang GT will get? I haven't seen ANY articles posted to that effect? Anyone?

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on March 16, 2010, 12:47:17 PM
Yeah, as if Japanese didn't have variable valve timing in econo cars 20 years ago. May be new to the Mustang but it ain't nothing new to just about anyone else...

And does anyone know what MPG the 2011 Mustang GT will get? I haven't seen ANY articles posted to that effect? Anyone?
Quote from: Nethead on March 16, 2010, 09:45:07 AM
From www.autoblog.com:

Ford Mustang GT rocks out with 412 horsepower, 26 mpg highway
by Drew Phillips (RSS feed) on Mar 16th 2010 at 6:43 AM

When it was first announced that the 5.0-liter engine was making a return to the 2011 Ford Mustang, none of us here at Autoblog were really that concerned with the fuel economy. We were all about the horsepower, and at 412 ponies underneath the hood, the 5.0 doesn't disappoint. Ford, however, was thinking about appearances and earth-hugging as well, and managed to make the 2011 Mustang even more efficient than the 2010 model despite all that extra extra power. According to the numbers released today, the new Mustang GT gets 17 miles-per-gallon city and 26 mpg highway with the six-speed manual and 18/25 mpg with the six-speed automatic.

These numbers are not only a huge improvement from the 2010 Mustang with the 4.6-liter V8 (15/23 mpg w/manual, 15/22 mpg w/automatic), but they also best the figures achieved by the Chevrolet Camaro SS - 16/24 mpg when equipped with a manual and 16/25 mpg with the automatic. As reported earlier, the 2011 Mustang V6 claims top honors against its Camaro counterpart as well with an impressive 19/31 mpg in six-speed automatic form.

So what accounts for the improved fuel economy despite the increase in displacement and horsepower? According to Ford, having an extra gear in the car's transmissions play a large role in addition to the Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) that can quickly adjust the intake and exhaust valves...

Here's the press release:

2011 FORD MUSTANG GT LEADS CLASS WITH 26 MPG HIGHWAY, 412 HORSEPOWER

The New 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L
Click here to download related images.

* New 2011 Mustang GT vaults to the top of its class with final fuel economy certified by the EPA this week at 26 mpg highway and 17 mpg city
*The Mustang GT ? carrying a 412-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 engine and six-speed manual transmission ? delivers incredible acceleration in addition to fuel economy, thanks in part to the flexibility of the six-speed manual transmission
*The entire Mustang lineup now achieves segment-leading fuel economy with the Mustang V-6 being the first car ever to deliver 305 hp and 31 mpg and the Mustang GT achieving best-in-class fuel economy of 26 mpg

DEARBORN, Mich., March 16, 2010 ? The 2011 Ford Mustang GT, powered by a new 412-hp 5.0-liter V-8 engine, adds yet another notch to its belt: an EPA rating of 26 mpg highway when equipped with the six-speed manual transmission, giving it the best fuel economy in its class.

"The 2011 Mustang continues to exceed expectations in every category, and these fuel economy numbers are another chapter in an incredible story," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president, Global Product Development. "To offer this kind of horsepower and class-leading fuel economy in a comfortable, beautiful, tech-savvy and affordable package ? it's really unprecedented."

With the six-speed manual transmission, Mustang GT coupe is rated at 17 mpg city and
26 highway, while models with the available six-speed automatic achieve 18 mpg city and
25 highway.

The GT's best in class fuel numbers come on the heels of the Mustang V-6, which just last week cracked the record books as not only the most fuel-efficient Mustang ever, but also the first production car in history to produce 305 horsepower and 31 mpg highway.

Mustang GT is powered by an all-new 5.0-liter double-overhead-camshaft (DOHC) V-8 with a host of advanced features to deliver the combination of power and class-leading fuel economy.

Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) adjusts the valvetrain in microseconds depending on driver inputs. A carefully tuned intake and exhaust system ensures free breathing at all engine speeds. And all-aluminum construction results in a lightweight yet durable powerplant.

A pair of new transmissions, both with six forward ratios, also play a large part in making the 2011 Mustang a breakthrough car. Regardless of whether drivers want to shift for themselves or let the car shift for them, they're treated to carefully chosen gear ratios to maximize fuel economy while still delivering high-horsepower performance

"Mustang powertrain development has reached a point where customers don't have to choose between fuel efficiency and performance," says Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of Global Powertrain Engineering. "Thanks to technologies like Ti-VCT and our six-speed gearboxes, a Mustang driver has the best of both worlds."

Fuel economy improvements on all Mustang models
Mustang GT shares fuel economy accolades with the new 3.7-liter Mustang V-6 ? the first production car ever to offer both 300-plus horsepower and 31 mpg on the highway. Official 2011 EPA fuel economy ratings for the Mustang product line are:

Mustang V-6

*19 mpg city and 31 highway (automatic coupe)
*19 mpg city and 29 highway (manual coupe)

Mustang GT

*18 mpg city and 25 highway (automatic coupe)
*17 mpg city and 26 highway (manual coupe)

In addition to powertrain improvements, upgrades to Mustang's body and chassis design contribute to its 2011 performance. Examples include:

*New EPAS eliminates the drag of an engine-operated hydraulic power steering pump
*Combined with the new six-speed transmissions, standard 3.31 (manual) and 3.15 (automatic) rear axle ratios provide an ideal blend of relaxed cruising rpm and all-out acceleration
*Aerodynamic improvements include a new front fascia on the Mustang GT, tire spats on the rear wheels, modified underbody shields, a taller air dam and an added rear decklid seal

The 2011 Mustang is built at the AutoAlliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich., and goes on sale this spring.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Thanks, Raza. I was wondering when someone would post that. I'm surprised it hasn't been posted in like 9 different threads by now courtesy of one of our resident Mustang jihadists.

S204STi

Quote from: Nethead on March 16, 2010, 01:52:27 PM
Do Camaros offer any form of variable valve timing on their overhead cam V8s--oh, wait...Doh!  My bad!

IIRC the Corvette, which has been making 400hp for some time now, has the same EPA rating even without OHC, VVT, and DI.

(Ah yes, the circle goes round and round...)

NomisR

Quote from: R-inge on March 16, 2010, 02:56:17 PM
IIRC the Corvette, which has been making 400hp for some time now, has the same EPA rating even without OHC, VVT, and DI.

But pushrods are dated technology!!!  So VTECH wins!!!! OMFGBBQLOL

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on March 16, 2010, 03:04:12 PM
But pushrods are dated technology!!!  So VTECH wins!!!! OMFGBBQLOL
Careful, Cougs will agree with you.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 16, 2010, 02:56:17 PM

It's got a very slippery body and IIRC it's got a 0.50 6th gear.  For the blunt nosed Mustang to achieve those numbers is pretty impressive.  The Camaro can't do it.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 16, 2010, 02:11:59 PM
Thanks, Raza. I was wondering when someone would post that. I'm surprised it hasn't been posted in like 9 different threads by now courtesy of one of our resident Mustang jihadists.

It was posted in 473 different threads, including this one, before you made that post.

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on March 12, 2010, 08:07:44 AM

VVT/L of course has its merits in a retail vehicle where that last little measure of economy, NVH and where extreme performance is required, but for a guy modifying 15 year old Camaro or a guy dropping an engine into a Shoe Box, the modern DOHC VVT/L engine is a size and cost detriment as long as pooprod motors are available.

A stock crate LS2 motor or Hemi 5.7L is a 425-450 hp (gross) engine out of the box; in days of old you needed a big block with big everything (compression, cam, carb, etc.) and had to suffer relatively poor economy/reliability/drivability as a result. Even a stock old-school iron block 350 or 360, with a decent power package from Edelbrock, will net a person a drivable, reliable 350-400 hp for about half the cost of a crate LS2 or Hemi.

(Good gods, did I just defend pooprod motors??? Not really, this defense only applies to hot rodders - guys looking to modify existing cars, or place engines into custom cars.)

SVT666

"Pooprods" done right are great motors.  The Hemi and LSX engines are great examples of "pooprods" done right.  They're also the last ones you can get in new cars, but they're competitive in every way with their OHC counterparts.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on March 16, 2010, 03:18:36 PM
It's got a very slippery body and IIRC it's got a 0.50 6th gear.  For the blunt nosed Mustang to achieve those numbers is pretty impressive.  The Camaro can't do it.

Very true.  I just like giving Nethead a hard time.  :devil:

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 16, 2010, 03:50:33 PM
"Pooprods" done right are great motors.  The Hemi and LSX engines are great examples of "pooprods" done right.  They're also the last ones you can get in new cars, but they're competitive in every way with their OHC counterparts.

And OHC motors, like Ford's utterly terrible 4.6/5.4L Modular, can be done horribly wrong. The existence of such a terrible (OHC) engine have led many to falsely believe that pooprod motors can run with OHC motors. But both done correctly, the OHC motor walks on a pooprod motor, and why there are no more pooprod I4 and V6 engines.