2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

the Teuton

You know, the FT-86 Toyobaru will be built on the same basic platform as the Impreza. It will be RWD. Subaru has never made a RWD car from the factory, but they have made plenty of FWD cars. Think about it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

Quote from: the Teuton on March 30, 2010, 04:31:00 PM
You know, the FT-86 Toyobaru will be built on the same basic platform as the Impreza. It will be RWD. Subaru has never made a RWD car from the factory, but they have made plenty of FWD cars. Think about it.

oh great, the dumbasses are building a FWD based RWD car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on March 30, 2010, 04:32:01 PM
oh great, the dumbasses are building a FWD based RWD car

better than a RWD based on a FWD?

wait..
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

Chassis changes
The switch from hydraulic steering assist to an electromechanical setup also improves fuel economy. Ford uses five different steering calibrations for the Mustang, depending on whether the car is a coupe or convertible, V-6 or V-8, or if it's a GT with the Brembo brake package. We weren't able to sample all five flavors, but we did detect a noticeable difference between a Brembo-equipped GT and the V-6 coupe. In our GT, the steering was so good - so even, precise, and communicative - that it drummed up thoughts of BMWs. The Brembo-package calibration isn't as heavy as the Bavarians would require, but it's just as consistent. The V-6 coupe's steering is also quite good, but it feels marginally overboosted and just slightly vague off center around 30 mph.

Glad I got the Brembo package.  When I read that they were going to have a few different steering programs, I figured they'd do this.  I was thinking about not getting the option because I lose out on getting a spare tire.  Screw the spare, I want this steering!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FoMoJo

Quote from: HotRodPilot on March 30, 2010, 05:25:26 PM
Glad I got the Brembo package.  When I read that they were going to have a few different steering programs, I figured they'd do this.  I was thinking about not getting the option because I lose out on getting a spare tire.  Screw the spare, I want this steering!
...without having to read back  through a bunch of pages, exactly what did you get?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rich

2011 Ford Mustang
GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)   

What Others
Are Paying
   MSRP   Invoice   
                                               MSRP          Invoice             My Price
                                           $32,845       $30,265           $32,050 + $250 Handling Charge   
   59G Glass Roof                   $1,995        $1,736                  $1,838   
   55D Brembo Brake Package   $1,695         $1,475                   $1,562   
   53B Comfort Group               $595           $518                  $548.50   
   51H HID Headlamps               $525           $457                  $483.50   
   457 3.73 Ratio Limited Slip    $395                  $344                $364   
   43S Security Package          $395                  $344               $364
   401A Rapid Spec 401A         $395                $344                   $364   
   13D GT Spoiler Delete           $0                $0              $0   
Color Adjustment   -   -      $0   
 Kona Blue Metallic       
Destination Charge                    $850            $850               $850   
Rebate                                                                            -$2,300
Total with Options                   $39,690   $36,333      $36,374   

S204STi

Getting invoice is always nice.  That said... wow, cars are getting expensive.

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on March 30, 2010, 04:27:52 PM
Ok great, I see the error in my ways.  Audi builds a FWD platform that the A4, A5, A6, A8, Q5, and Bentley all use, 3/4 of which are not FWD.

Of course they make something designed for FWD and not AWD.  What the hell am I thinking.  Nobody in the world would be stupid enough to design a platform for AWD since you can only engineer a platform for FWD or RWD.  :rolleyes:

Did you not get the point of the V8 engine sitting out ahead of the front axle, being the bit that makes it not as good? And that the pictures were comparing? You know, the reason idiots said my V8 RX7 wouldn't handle because they thought the engine would be way up over the front axle making it nose heavy, when it actually had 90% of the engine entirely behind the front axle centerline?

The fundamental chassis difference between a car like the Mustang, a dedicated rear driver and a car like the S5, an AWD car based on a FWD layout, is staring you right in the face in those pics. An AWD car based on a RWD layout will not have that disadvantage. See the Skyline, or a BMW with Xdrive, etc. And of course, let's not forget the mid engine AWD cars...

but you just want to argue.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

Quote from: HotRodPilot on March 30, 2010, 05:55:45 PM
2011 Ford Mustang
GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)   

What Others
Are Paying
   MSRP   Invoice   
                                                MSRP          Invoice             My Price
                                           $32,845       $30,265           $32,050 + $250 Handling Charge   
   59G Glass Roof                   $1,995        $1,736                  $1,838   
   55D Brembo Brake Package   $1,695         $1,475                   $1,562   
   53B Comfort Group               $595           $518                  $548.50   
   51H HID Headlamps               $525           $457                  $483.50   
   457 3.73 Ratio Limited Slip    $395                  $344                $364   
   43S Security Package          $395                  $344               $364
   401A Rapid Spec 401A         $395                $344                   $364   
   13D GT Spoiler Delete           $0                $0              $0   
Color Adjustment   -   -      $0   
  Kona Blue Metallic       
Destination Charge                    $850            $850               $850   
Rebate                                                                            -$2,300
Total with Options                   $39,690   $36,333      $36,374   
Congratulations. :thumbsup:  I am green with envy.

When do you pick it up?

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rich

Hopefully May 2nd, in time for my road trip.  If not, then I'll pick it up when I get back to Idaho mid June

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on March 30, 2010, 04:27:52 PM
Ok great, I see the error in my ways.  Audi builds a FWD platform that the A4, A5, A6, A8, Q5, and Bentley all use, 3/4 of which are not FWD.

Of course they make something designed for FWD and not AWD.  What the hell am I thinking.  Nobody in the world would be stupid enough to design a platform for AWD since you can only engineer a platform for FWD or RWD.  :rolleyes:

Point is, when an Audi isn't AWD, it's FWD.  The A4 has a longitudinal mounted engine.  It comes as either FWD or AWD, but not RWD.  Early 90s Imprezas were sold as either FWD or AWD, but not RWD (again with a longitudinally mounted engine).  Going back to Subies of the 80s when they had a 4WD system that you had to engage manually like on a pickup truck, they were again FWD until you shifted into 4WD (with a longitudinally mounted boxer engine under hood).  This is in contrast to a car like the Infiniti G or Lexus IS, which is either AWD or RWD.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

mojammer

Oh geez, Car and Driver tested one:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2011_ford_mustang_gt_5.0-short_take_road_test

That quarter mile time and trap speed suggest about 380-400hp.  What gives?

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on March 30, 2010, 06:03:10 PM
Did you not get the point of the V8 engine sitting out ahead of the front axle, being the bit that makes it not as good? And that the pictures were comparing? You know, the reason idiots said my V8 RX7 wouldn't handle because they thought the engine would be way up over the front axle making it nose heavy, when it actually had 90% of the engine entirely behind the front axle centerline?

The fundamental chassis difference between a car like the Mustang, a dedicated rear driver and a car like the S5, an AWD car based on a FWD layout, is staring you right in the face in those pics. An AWD car based on a RWD layout will not have that disadvantage. See the Skyline, or a BMW with Xdrive, etc. And of course, let's not forget the mid engine AWD cars...

but you just want to argue.

:orly:

Why am i missing your point?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

No worries, I'm very much still here.

The Mustang GT 5.0 acceleration performance is about what I would have expected; the average of the tests is putting it at about Camaro SS performance; ranging from 12.8-13.2 sec @ 108 1/4 mile times (Camaro SS average is 12.9-13.0 sec @ 108).

The Autoblog write-up was almost comical. Yes, most everyone knows/agrees the S197 is a good car at a phenomenal price but better than the S5? Please. Went way overboard there. The C&D write-up posted by mojammer is far more realistic.

As to the 395 rwhp number posted by a few sources? BS. SAE water brake/eddy current engine dyno tests run by engineers is how it should be done for absolute numbers. A tuner shop inertial chassis dyno tests run by mechanics is really only suited for approximate numbers and/or relative measurements (as in, to gauge effectiveness of upgrades/tuning). The chances Ford gave mags a ringer with 50+ additional hp is highly unlikely and the notion that u-joints eat up 4-5% is ridiculous. No, the car is putting down ~350 rwhp and acceleration numbers support that. Edmunds should know all this.

mojammer

I think you're right, GoCougs.  I got a little too excited by the 395rwhp claims.  It seems that 350 is what we got.

SVT666

Dynojets are notorious for readin g gig numbers.  That's why tuners use them.  They can RAF as much as 10-12 % higher then a Mustang Dyno.

SVT666

Fuck I hate using the mobile site.

GoCougs

I also forget to mention that though GT 5.0 numbers are in line with what I was expecting, I was a bit taken back by the V6. That is running with or better than some serious 6 cyl company - G37, 370Z, 335i, A5, IS350, TL, etc.

Though through what I've seen (i.e., the myriad claims of 395 rwhp), we need the hysteria to die down and wait for realistic tests before the true numbers are known IMO.

Nethead

Soooo, you ain't got $30,495 in change under the sofa cushions to fork over for a 2011 Mustang GT with the delicious quadcam TiVCT 5.0L under the hood.  Like, who does--other than Jay Leno, of course?

But you do have a Nash Metropolitan up on blocks roosting chickens out front.  And a Ford 9" in that second hand forklift in the shed out back.  Plus, you got a set of 11" wide USAC open-wheel roadracing gumballs under the single-wide from some previous renter who split for the coast back in '96.  

Project car or what!  With the aforementioned necessities already sittin' there stirring your creative juices, what you really, really need at this point is an inspirational focus point.  You considered a Chrysler Hemi, but the real ones are too big/too heavy and the current one doesn't even have real hemispherical combustion chambers--no way, Jose.   Then, you considered an LS, but their basic design even pre-dates the design of your Nash Metropolitan...

Don't you wish there was a lightweight, modern, powerful V8 in a crate that's just at the start of its performance development?  

Your wish has been granted :thumbsup::

New 5.0-liter & 5.4-liter V-8 Crate Motors Coming Soon from Ford Racing
Matt Rigney, June 16th, 2010  

The return of the iconic 5.0-liter V-8 engine for the 2011 Mustang GT has a lot of enthusiasts excited about the future of the Ford Mustang and the possibilities it brings.  A good amount of those Mustang enthusiasts will pony up the money to purchase a new 2011 Mustang GT with the 5.0 already under the hood but for those who just want the motor Ford Racing will soon make available the 412 horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 as a crate motor.  The new 5.0-liter crate motor will be available to order late Summer from the Ford Racing catalog. The 5.0-liter V-8 4-valve crate motor has a part number of M-6007-M5L and it will come ready to go minus the A/C and power steering.  There is no doubt the new 5.0-liter crate motor will be making its way into many late model Mustangs and restomods very soon.  One such project already underway is Stangnet's Project 'Built to Cruise' where they are stuffing the new 5.0-liter motor into a late model fox-body coupe.
We have also learned Ford Racing will make available the 2011 Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 4-valve engine as a crate motor minus the A/C and power steering.  The 5.4-liter V-8 crate motor will have the aluminum block and be rated at 550 horsepower with 510 pound-feet of torque.  The 5.4-liter V-8 crate motor has a part number of M-6007-A54SC.

No word on pricing for the new Ford Racing crate motors but expect both to command a premium (Wha'?  You mean they ain't free?).

Source: [fordracingparts.com]  4573

So many stairs...so little time...

Raza

There might be a Mustang GT in the family soon.  Automatic, unfortunately.  :(
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20861.msg1342998#msg1342998 date=1276778828
There might be a Mustang GT in the family soon.  Automatic, unfortunately.  :(

Raza:  How so?

Raza

Quote from: Nethead on June 17, 2010, 07:16:38 AM
Raza:  How so?

My brother is considering it, but he refuses to learn stick.  He's also looking at a used CLS550, S4, S5, and other things.  But I came home from work one day and he had the BYO up on the Ford website. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

Raza:  Great luck for you, then, RazDude!  He gets the auto, and you get the 6-speed manual!  If you need parts, there's a parts car right out there in your brother's driveway (unless you need clutch/transmission parts, of course).  You switch out your broken part for his good one, and then you send his gf out in his car to get some booze.  
She comes back and sez to your brother "Your car is making this funny noise and drives erratically".  
He sez "It wasn't making funny noises or driving erratically when I last drove it last night!"
You sez "Babe, was it making those noises before you were popping wheelies in the liquor store parking lot a few minutes ago?"
She sez "Uh, no, but I wasn't..."
He sez "What th' Hell?"
You sez "Well, was it driving erratically when you were up on two wheels through the redlights on Main Street?"
She sez "What?? I never..."
He sez "Jesusssssssss, bitch!"
You sez "Babe, you gotta treat performance cars with more respect--you're lucky you weren't killed!"
She sez nothing, because she's speechless.
He sez "I'm glad, because I want the pleasure of killing her myself!"
You sez "I gotta split and blowdry the cat. Oh, I noticed the Glock in the bottom drawer of the chest by the master bedroom windows.  See ya..."
She sez "Gulp..."
He sez "Where's that magazine of nylon-jacketed ammo?"
Yada yada yada... :popcorn:

Lucky day for you!  For the Babe, not so much...

thewizard16

Quote from: Nethead on June 17, 2010, 09:32:54 AM
Raza:  Great luck for you, then, RazDude!  He gets the auto, and you get the 6-speed manual!  If you need parts, there's a parts car right out there in your brother's driveway (unless you need clutch/transmission parts, of course).  You switch out your broken part for his good one, and then you send his gf out in his car to get some booze. 
She comes back and sez to your brother "Your car is making this funny noise and drives erratically". 
He sez "It wasn't making funny noises or driving erratically when I last drove it last night!"
You sez "Babe, was it making those noises before you were popping wheelies in the liquor store parking lot a few minutes ago?"
She sez "Uh, no, but I wasn't..."
He sez "What th' Hell?"
You sez "Well, was it driving erratically when you were up on two wheels through the redlights on Main Street?"
She sez "What?? I never..."
He sez "Jesusssssssss, bitch!"
You sez "Babe, you gotta treat performance cars with more respect--you're lucky you weren't killed!"
She sez nothing, because she's speechless.
He sez "I'm glad, because I want the pleasure of killing her myself!"
You sez "I gotta split and blowdry the cat. Oh, I noticed the Glock in the bottom drawer of the chest by the master bedroom windows.  See ya..."
She sez "Gulp..."
He sez "Where's that magazine of nylon-jacketed ammo?"
Yada yada yada...

Lucky day for you!  For the Babe, not so much...

:lol:
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Nethead

Quote from: thewizard16 on June 17, 2010, 10:31:35 AM
:lol:

thewizard16:  Why, thank you, WizDude!  A good time was had by all, except for the Babe perhaps...

SVT666

2011 Steeda Sport Edition Ford Mustang Debuts
By Matt Rigney

Steeda Autosports is never one to rush to market with anything and that has been evident over the past couple decades as they have produced countless rock solid suspension and performance parts along with many top quality aftermarket Mustang variations.  Their limited edition Mustangs are heralded as some of the best in the business and for good reason as they spend the time perfecting the right mix of parts for each and every model.  The time has now come for them to introduce their latest aftermarket Mustang, the 2011 Steeda Sport Edition Ford Mustang.

The Sport Edition Mustang will be Steeda's entry level model and basis for all models to come.  Starting with a 2011 Ford Mustang GT powered by the 5.0-liter V-8 Steeda upgrades the suspension and performance with a few subtle additions.  Those additions include Steeda Sport Springs, Aerodynamic hood, rear aerodynamic wing, Sidewinder graphics, 20-inch Steeda Spyder wheels with Nitto performance tires and a Steeda cold air intake along with a performance tune.  The air intake and tune push the 5.0-liter V-8 to 450 horsepower giving the 2011 Steeda Sport Edition an edge over the stock Ford Mustang GT.

The 2011 Steeda Sport Edition is priced under $40,000 in the range of fully loaded Mustang GT's.

Rich

I hope someone comes out with a diaper eliminator one of these days. (The diaper is the black plastic "diffuser")  I'd be all over that

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 17, 2010, 11:28:15 AM
I hope someone comes out with a diaper eliminator one of these days. (The diaper is the black plastic "diffuser")  I'd be all over that
The diffuser looks good. The standard rear bumper plastic looks like ass :huh:

The diffuser though is only available on the GT500 and on aftermarket cars like the Steeda.

Nethead

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 17, 2010, 11:28:15 AM
I hope someone comes out with a diaper eliminator one of these days. (The diaper is the black plastic "diffuser")  I'd be all over that

HotRodPilot:  All that shit's gotta git.  On every car on the planet.  The sooner the better!

Nethead

'Doesn't surprise me.  Does this surprise anyone here?

From www.autoblog.com:

Take rate on Brembo package for 2011 Ford Mustang higher than expected
by Drew Phillips (RSS feed) on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:27 AM

As a general rule, the things that us car journalists typically enjoy ? things like manual transmissions, no-frills interiors and wagon variants ? don't necessarily sell well. The same can be said for expensive non-powertrain performance options, which is why we were surprised to learn that the Brembo brake package for the 2011 Ford Mustang has been selling quite well.

According to Automobile Magazine, Ford says that the take rate for the option has "exceeded our expectations" and sales are "running substantially above last year's Track Pack." Perhaps we should give Mustang buyers, ostensibly only interested with drag racing, more credit than we initially thought.

Priced at $1,695, the Brembo brake package includes a set of 14-inch front discs with four-piston calipers, rear 11.8-inch discs with four-piston calipers, special 19-inch wheels, summer performance tires, and unique tuning for the suspension, stability control and steering.

Part of the reason for the high take rate might be that choosing the option is actually much cheaper than buying the same parts in the aftermarket. The 14-inch brake kit in the Ford Racing parts catalog will run you $1,489, which doesn't include the rear brake upgrade, and you still have to buy new wheels and tires. For aftermarket-obsessed Mustang owners, checking the option box to get it straight from the factory just makes more sense.