2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on July 22, 2010, 03:09:08 PM
The CLS is just so damn sexy...especially in black.  I've actually been thinking about that car a lot lately and it's making me think twice about a Mustang for my next car.  My next car is basically down to the CLS AMG, 2011 Mustang GT, and Challenger SRT-8.  I'm finding the CLS AMG is going for the same price as the CLS 500 on the used market.

AMGs tend to depreciate faster.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20861.msg1365772#msg1365772 date=1279833820
AMGs tend to depreciate faster.
Why?

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on July 22, 2010, 03:40:14 PM
Why?

I suspect for the same reason that cars like the 7-series and A8 depreciate like a falling rock.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on July 22, 2010, 04:00:16 PM
I suspect for the same reason that cars like the 7-series and A8 depreciate like a falling rock.
Tell me about it.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Cobra93

Quote from: SVT666 on July 22, 2010, 03:40:14 PM
Why?
Good question, but my local M/B dealer confirms it. Probably because it was significantly higher to begin with.

SVT666

Yeah, but it's the same price as the CLS500 despite being a vastly superior version of the car and vastly more expensive when new.

GoCougs

Yeah, can't use anecdote of dealer and/or add pricing to establish market value. All else equal the AMG version of the CLS will cost a fair mount more new or used and the depreciation curves will be pretty much the same.

The only way to research it is with KBB or NADA which takes (lots) of actual sales price data combined with other statistical and research factors. But by all means, if one can get a CLS63 at the book price of a CLS550, but it's highly unlikely.

For my zip code, KBB shows an '07 CLS550 at $44k and an '07 CLS63 at $58k. Using 2010 MSRP pricing the CLS550 is $75k and the CLS63 is $101k, resulting in  41% depreciation for the CLS550 and 43% for the CLS63.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on July 22, 2010, 03:09:08 PM
The CLS is just so damn sexy...especially in black.  I've actually been thinking about that car a lot lately and it's making me think twice about a Mustang for my next car.  My next car is basically down to the CLS AMG, 2011 Mustang GT, and Challenger SRT-8.  I'm finding the CLS AMG is going for the same price as the CLS 500 on the used market.

I'm not much of a Challenger fan anymore. Sometimes I'll see one drive by and my jaw drops at how awesome it looks, but other times I just feel indifferent about it.

Mustangfan2003

They might as well offer awd on the Challenger since it's already as heavy as a truck.

Nethead

Quote from: Cobra93 on July 22, 2010, 11:55:00 AM
I test drove a 2011 GT/CS yesterday. It was pretty impressive. I was a little surprised when it barked the tires on the 3-4 shift.  :rockon:

Cobra93:  Good Deal!  Please post your planned options.  As a guy who had a primo '05, you know what works well for you--plus there's some great factory stuff for oh-eleven that wasn't offered in oh-five. :popcorn:
So many stairs...so little time...

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on July 22, 2010, 04:53:08 PM
Yeah, but it's the same price as the CLS500 despite being a vastly superior version of the car and vastly more expensive when new.

Higher price means higher depreciation.  Luxury buyers tend to gravitate towards newer models, so the used market is generally softer at the higher end.  Also, AMGs are more expensive to run, sportier, and appeal to a narrower customer base, so they depreciate faster. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I van get a 2007 CLS AMG for less than a 2007 GT500.

Mustangfan2003

GoCougs

LOL - van marque worship make something it's not?

KBB on an '07 GT500 is $39k or almost $20k shy of a '07 CLS63...

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2010, 09:38:31 AM

Different markets, too, don't forget that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on July 23, 2010, 09:24:02 AM
I van get a 2007 CLS AMG for less than a 2007 GT500.
Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2010, 09:38:31 AM

Did they invent a new word without telling me again?!

:lol:

SVT666

Stupid blackberry.  Anyway Cougs, I don't care what KBB says, because the prices I have found on Craigslist differ quite drastically from KBB.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on July 23, 2010, 10:15:50 AM
Stupid blackberry.  Anyway Cougs, I don't care what KBB says, because the prices I have found on Craigslist differ quite drastically from KBB.

I know perfectly well that you don't care - you made a Mustangism-induced BS claim and will defend it to the point of tear-inducing irrationality.

Here's a hint on where you went wrong - where do lenders look for how much a car is worth before they lend on it, and where do insurers look for how much a car is worth before they will pay a total loss claim? (A: it ain't CL.)

SVT666

Like I said, I van get a CLS AMG for less then a GT500 of the same year.  Granted it is pretty close, but it's still less.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on July 23, 2010, 01:11:16 PM
Like I said, I van get a CLS AMG for less then a GT500 of the same year.  Granted it is pretty close, but it's still less.

Does said GT500 come with rainbows and unicorns, or is that extra?

SVT666

There is a 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS AMG right in your own backyard in Kirkland for $31,995 with only 39,000 miles on the clock.  The majority of them are priced at $38-39,000 with one priced at $48,000.  The cheapest 2007 Shelby GT500 that I can find in Seattle is $35,500 with the majority in the $38-39,000 range with one priced at $43,000.  I actually couldn't find a 2007 CLS AMG in Seattle on Craigslist so maybe a same year car is a little more expensive then a GT500, but it's not by much.  Your Ford hateism is showing through Cougs.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on July 23, 2010, 03:36:16 PM
There is a 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS AMG right in your own backyard in Kirkland for $31,995 with only 39,000 miles on the clock.  The majority of them are priced at $38-39,000 with one priced at $48,000.  The cheapest 2007 Shelby GT500 that I can find in Seattle is $35,500 with the majority in the $38-39,000 range with one priced at $43,000.  I actually couldn't find a 2007 CLS AMG in Seattle on Craigslist so maybe a same year car is a little more expensive then a GT500, but it's not by much.  Your Ford hateism is showing through Cougs.

:facepalm:

NADA and KBB are statistical, objective data mining and collection resources that are so solid they are used by lenders and insurance companies as noted.

All else being equal a same year CLS63 will be WAY more expensive. If you disagree with that statement you are wrong. 

Jeez, that didn't last 8 hours. TTFN.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2010, 04:49:17 PM
:facepalm:

NADA and KBB are statistical, objective data mining and collection resources that are so solid they are used by lenders and insurance companies as noted.

All else being equal a same year CLS63 will be WAY more expensive. If you disagree with that statement you are wrong. 

Jeez, that didn't last 8 hours. TTFN.
Okay Fuckface...What don't you understand about what I said?  YOu are quoting "average" transactions.  I'm saying I can find a CLS AMG priced at or below a Shelby GT500.  I'm right and facepalming me won't make me wrong.  Just accept defeat and fuck off.

omicron

Y'all need to stop taunting me in this way. The cheapest CLS55 I can find in the country is $90k; hell, the cheapest CLS is a $65k 350.

goldenlover1101

Quote from: SVT666 on July 23, 2010, 05:07:48 PM
Okay Fuckface...What don't you understand about what I said?  YOu are quoting "average" transactions.  I'm saying I can find a CLS AMG priced at or below a Shelby GT500.  I'm right and facepalming me won't make me wrong.  Just accept defeat and fuck off.
I think I should stay out of this thread......

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

SVT666

Don't worry about it Golden, its between Cougs and I and he's the only one I have any kind of animosity towards.

Nethead

First, Shelby offers a supercharged 5.0L GT350, and now a single-turbo kit for the 5.0L comes to market:

Let the Turbocharging Begin, First 2011 5.0 equipped cranks out over 530 Horsepower
Matt Rigney July 25th, 2010  

In its present form the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 cranks out 412 horsepower which is more than sufficient horsepower for daily driving and trips to the drag strip but people always want more.  Enter Fastlane, a company who can transform your stock vehicle from plain old boring to wild and crazy with the addition of one of their custom turbo systems.  And this is exactly what they have done to a 2011 5.0 adding an extra 120 horsepower to an already potent engine.  The system uses a Borg Warner 72mm S400 Turbo developed by Fastlane with a conservative power estimate in the 5.0 of over 530 horsepower and 500 foot-pounds of torque using the six-speed manual.  This is all accomplished with only six to seven pounds of boost. ?Fastlane was founded on modifying Mustangs,? says Nick Field, Co-Owner of Fastlane. ?We?ve gone back to our roots with this turbo package and have made the new Mustang GT even more significant.?

Check below for the complete rundown on Fastlane's Turbo system for the new 5.0 Mustang:  
* Low boost ? 6-7psi
* At least 120 additional RWHP
* Designed for stock engines
* Quiet, reliable operation with big block power
* 72mm Borg Warner extended tip turbo, front mount air to air bar and plate style intercooler
* 304 stainless steel tubing, which is mandrel bent for great flow (This kit boasts direct bolt-on with no cutting or modifications needed).
* On a conservative streetable tune of 6-7 psi, this kit produces at least 530 RWHP and 500 RWTQ

Beyond the remarkable turbo system, Fastlane?s R&D department has developed additional go-fast performance items for un-boosted 5.0L Mustangs, raising the 360 hp AT THE WHEELS to the following:

* Long Tube Headers: 390 hp
* Add 3? Exhaust: 401 hp
* Add Cold Air Intake: 412 hp

Source: Stangnet

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on July 23, 2010, 05:07:48 PM

Sure - a four year old model with 60,000 miles on the clock.

Around here, AMG CLS's still sell for a lot, even when it's the pre-facelift supercharged V8 model.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Nethead

From www.detnews.com:

Last Updated: July 31. 2010 1:00AM.
Why a $30,500 Ford Mustang beats $150,000 European sports cars
Jason H. Harper / Bloomberg News

I have a $150,000 sports car in my parking garage, a handcrafted machine produced overseas in limited numbers. Next to it, I have a U.S.-made Ford Mustang GT, armadas of which will be sold for as little as $30,500.

I tested both the day before, so which to take out today just for the thrill?

"The 'Stang, please," I tell Paul and Hector, my trusty garage guys.

Paul raises his eyebrow. Seriously?

Times have changed. Changed in a whopping, Big Bang kind of way. Once hopeless and bumbling, Ford Motor Co. is now really cranking out the good stuff. And its new Mustang is about as good as it gets.

I'm reminded why as I aim the sparkling blue hood (the deep, lustrous paint is called "Kona Blue Metallic") on my way out of town.

Normally I nurse high-dollar rides over the canyon-sized cracks and craters in New York's West Side Highway as if guiding a colicky baby in a carriage. With the Mustang's high clearance and sturdy shocks, I bound over the choppy asphalt. Bulletproof.

On today's just-for-fun itinerary: I'm prowling for open, winding lanes where the V-8 can have its torque-mad way with the world. Under full throttle, the brand-new 5.0-liter motor sounds like Zeus hurling thunderbolts, channeling 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque.

Years ago it was inconceivable to have so much power at such a bargain price. This base coupe has more kick than the original V-10-powered Dodge Viper or a Ferrari 360 Modena.

And boy does it pull. At a stop light it yanks you, inexorably, toward the next traffic stop like a leashed bull mastiff, a kind of torque overload that's nearly impossible not to childishly indulge in over and over again.

The sound is bright, raw, delicious.

As for gas mileage, the V-8 manages 17 city and 26 highway and can be run on regular gasoline rather than premium with a slight reduction in power.

As driven, my test car was $42,305. It included most of the convenience and sport options, including navigation, improved Brembo brakes, 19-inch wheels and an electronic stability control meant for spirited driving.

So equipped, the GT was as much or more fun than any European or Japanese car at that same price.

Hard to believe that the Mustang is having its salad days all over again. Its 50th anniversary will be the pony car's next milestone, and the last few generations have shown every long year. Liver spots have included a cranky chassis, worn-out engine and middling electronics.

It got a major refresh last year, which helped considerably, but the V-8 still produced a miserly 315 horses.

The 2011 model, also available with a V-6, is minty fresh. Nicer to look at, better to listen to and easier to live with. Most surprising, it handles competently on swoopy roads.

You see, there have always been those muscle-car motor-heads who soup up American steel just to drag race. It passes for a good time in certain towns -- I should know, I grew up in one.

What those guys would never do is take a Mustang against a European sports car on a windy road. Partly because dudes who listened to Motley Crue and Judas Priest didn't associate with those who dug Depeche Mode and the Smiths -- but also because they'd get their butts kicked.

This Mustang is different. It still has an old-school live rear axle, which is cheap to produce but brutish. Yet engineers have tuned it to the point of elegance. Steady at speed and yet nimble in turns, the Mustang shows a lot of poise even on switchback roads.

I easily sustain a super sprint up and down careening hills, the sound of the 5.0-liters blowing up around me. Even the Fourth of July wasn't so cacophonous and lively.

While available as a six-speed automatic, let me say this: If you don't know how to drive a stick but are thinking of buying the new Mustang, learn. The six-speed, cue-ball-tipped stick is wondrous.

Finally, the interior. Somebody has figured out that the Mustang is more than the sum of its engine and exterior. The seats are comfortable; the two rear seats are somewhat accommodating, and though the interior is mostly plastic, it looks good.

And when I get lost on my wanders, I quickly punch up my location on the optional touch-screen navigation system.

For a thriftier gas and budget point, there's the brand-new 3.7-liter V-6, which gets up to 31 mpg highway with an auto transmission. For a base of $23,000, you still manage a prodigious 305 horses and 280 pound-feet of torque.

I've still got several hours before I need to be home. I don't really have to keep driving -- I've gotten the point -- but, well, seeing as I'm already out here.

That European machine in the garage can wait.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100731/AUTO03/7310316/1148/AUTO01/Why-a-$30-500-Ford-Mustang-beats-$150-000-European-sports-cars#ixzz0vSQXaVKk

ChrisV

Quote from: Submariner on July 29, 2010, 10:03:44 AM
Sure - a four year old model with 60,000 miles on the clock.

Around here, AMG CLS's still sell for a lot, even when it's the pre-facelift supercharged V8 model.

Um, he was comparing prices of 3-4 year old versions of BOTH, and the AMG had 30-some-odd thousand miles on it, not nearly 70. Sorry, but Hemi's right on this one.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...