2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Started by Payman, December 26, 2009, 08:42:47 PM

mzziaz

Quote from: omicron on July 25, 2010, 03:34:39 AM
Y'all need to stop taunting me in this way. The cheapest CLS55 I can find in the country is $90k; hell, the cheapest CLS is a $65k 350.

Lucker  :cry:
Cuore Sportivo

SVT666

HOT DAMN!!!!  That's a good deal.

FORD 5.0 V8 CRATE ENGINE ON SALE FOR $6,999
By Andrew Ganz

If you?re feeling a little blue because you bought a 2010 Mustang with the now-dropped 4.6-liter V8, you?re in luck. The 5.0-liter ?Coyote? V8 that recently debuted in the 2011 Ford Mustang GT will go on sale later this month as a crate motor.

For $6,999, Ford Racing will be happy to sell a crate 5.0 as part number M-6007-M50. Rated at the same 412 ponies and 390 lb-ft. of torque as the 5.0 in the 2011 Mustang GT, the V8 weighs a reasonable 444 lbs.
Interested buyers can place an order at any Ford dealership in the U.S. for deliveries beginning August 15.

Mustangfan2003

My cousin is working on a 68 Mustang and this would be the perfect motor for it.

hotrodalex

It's a pretty good price, especially for a manufacture, but there are similar if not better deals.

Now THIS is a good deal:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engines/Blueprint-Engines-SB-Chevy-Budget-Stomper-w-Aluminum-Heads-383ci-420HP-450TQ/1197263/10002/-1

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 05, 2010, 01:07:03 PM
It's a pretty good price, especially for a manufacture, but there are similar if not better deals.

Now THIS is a good deal:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engines/Blueprint-Engines-SB-Chevy-Budget-Stomper-w-Aluminum-Heads-383ci-420HP-450TQ/1197263/10002/-1
I would rather not have to fuck around with a carburator.  I agree, that's a hell of a deal, but it doesn't have all the tech that's in the Ford 5.0L.  When you consider all the tech involved and the 412 hp starting point, you can't argue with the economics of this engine.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on August 05, 2010, 01:30:59 PM
I would rather not have to fuck around with a carburator.  I agree, that's a hell of a deal, but it doesn't have all the tech that's in the Ford 5.0L.  When you consider all the tech involved and the 412 hp starting point, you can't argue with the economics of this engine.

I've never had much of a problem with a carburetor. Then again, seems like Edelbrock carbs don't have many of the issues associated with others.

Quote from: mzziaz on August 05, 2010, 03:08:01 PM
Wow, that's cheap  :confused:

Put it in the Ranchero and get rid of its boat anchor! :ohyeah:

mzziaz

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 05, 2010, 03:18:47 PM

Put it in the Ranchero and get rid of its boat anchor! :ohyeah:

Chevy crap will never come near that engine bay, a 5.0 crate, otoh.........  :evildude:
Cuore Sportivo

SVT666

Quote from: mzziaz on August 05, 2010, 03:22:12 PM
Chevy crap will never come near that engine bay, a 5.0 crate, otoh.........  :evildude:
You can get some monster pushrod motors from Ford for cheap too, but my head is spinning with possibilities for this new 5.0L.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 05, 2010, 01:07:03 PM

Now THIS is a good deal:

Meh, a quick bit of Googling shows that the 430 hp LS3 can be had for about the same cost.

Ford's 5.0's 412 hp is SAE net which is about 475-500 hp at the crank, so it's notably more powerful than that 383 SBC. It will also have a far broader power band, be more durable/longer lived, and be all around much more livable.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 05, 2010, 05:52:35 PM
Meh, a quick bit of Googling shows that the 430 hp LS3 can be had for about the same cost.

Ford's 5.0's 412 hp is SAE net which is about 475-500 hp at the crank, so it's notably more powerful than that 383 SBC. It will also have a far broader power band, be more durable/longer lived, and be all around much more livable.

The 412 SAE net is rated at the crank already, not the transmission output or the wheels.  "SAE net" simply means that the motor is dynoed with all engine accessories (alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump...) and emissions equipment in place.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on August 05, 2010, 06:17:33 PM
The 412 SAE net is rated at the crank already, not the transmission output or the wheels.  "SAE net" simply means that the motor is dynoed with all engine accessories (alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump...) and emissions equipment in place.

Uh, huh - and all those goodies cost 15 - 20% at the crank.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on August 05, 2010, 05:52:35 PM

You'll just argue anything won't you? I just posted a quick link that I found.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 05, 2010, 09:16:38 PM
Uh, huh - and all those goodies cost 15 - 20% at the crank.

Point is, both SAE net and SAE gross are measured at the crank.  Had you said "sans accessories", it would have made much more sense.  Saying "at the crank" for your estimated number implies than the SAE net figure was not measured at the crank.

Besides that, who's going to drop that motor in a street car and not keep the power steering and emissions stuff (the latter required in many places)?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on August 06, 2010, 04:18:59 AM
Point is, both SAE net and SAE gross are measured at the crank.  Had you said "sans accessories", it would have made much more sense.  Saying "at the crank" for your estimated number implies than the SAE net figure was not measured at the crank.

Yeah, but I think the point came across eventually.

Besides that, who's going to drop that motor in a street car and not keep the power steering and emissions stuff (the latter required in many places)?

Plenty of resto/street rods don't have power accessories owing to the fact they are generally far lighter than a ~3,600 lb Mustang GT. But the point being a certain someone was implicitly equating net and gross @ the crank.

SVT666

I dropped by the local Ford dealer to see if I could score a test drive in a 2011 5.0L, but all they had was a 5.0L Vert with an Auto.  So I passed.  I told the salesman I would wait until they got one with a stick and he went checked the order book and then came back and told me the next one will arrive in October and there's already a deposit on it.  They had 7 GT 5.0L Manuals come in and 5 sold in the first two days and the other two sold before the week was out.  Looks like I'll have to wait a while.  I also tried to get some seat time in a Challenger, but the Dodge dealer can't keep them on the lot either.  Every time I drive by the lot there are new Challengers there and they are gone the next time I drive by.  The only one on the lot right now is an SRT-8 in Plum Crazy and it's already sold and it got there two days ago.

hotrodalex

You can't find Challengers? Interesting. Either a lot of them are sitting on lots in some other region or they just don't produce as many considering they only sell ~3,000 a month compared to ~8,000 for Camaros and Mustangs.

SVT666

I'm thinking they don't produce many because every couple weeks the 2 or 3 Challengers they have on their lot are different.

MX793

There's a ton of Challengers at the dealerships around here.  The nearest to me has 5 in stock and the second nearest has 11.  Surprisingly decent mix of engine and transmission options too.   Both dealers have R/Ts and SRTs with manual gearboxes in stock.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Yeah, there are plenty and plenty of Challengers and Mustangs on dealer lots - those cars are selling WAY below production capacity.

Nethead

From www.autoblog.com comes this conjecture, which follows upon some telling leaks (and hints) that came out last month:

Ford unveiling Boss Mustang on August 13th?
by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Aug 7th 2010 at 11:07 AM

With all-new powertrains debuting in the 2011 Ford Mustang, you knew it was just a matter of time before a new limited-edition model was introduced. Well, it looks like that time may be next week. As you all know very well by now, the 2011 Mustang GT has the new Ford 5.0 V8 underhood. Since the new race version (above) wears the Boss 302R moniker, a new street-going Boss 302 seems like a no-brainer.

During a recent Grand-Am race, the announcers let slip that the consumer-spec Boss 302 would debut in mid-August at Laguna Seca as part of Pebble Beach week. (The exact date spinning around the rumormill is August 13.) The Boss reportedly delivers about 430 horsepower with a price in the low $30,000 range :wub:. Ford's motorsports partner, Multimatic, is apparently building some special parts for the Boss 302, but we'll have to wait until next week to find out those specifics if indeed this rumor is true.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Nethead here is a wee bit more skeptical--an unveiling of a Boss 302 concept may occur this week at Laguna Seca but hardware in the showrooms will not occur until SVT has shipped all 5500 2011 GT500s and all 500 2011 GT350s that are to be built--and I dunno when that will be.  Anyone know the production rate on those two?  

The Boss 302 will be much quicker to build since it is not supercharged (the track version of the GT350 isn't supercharged either, but that is likely to be only a small percentage of the 500 GT350s to be sold as 2011 models).

It will be interesting to see what parts will be sourced from Multimatic of Canada!  Adjustable shocks are a good bet ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) :cheers:
So many stairs...so little time...

Rich

I can't wait to see it.  I'm hoping it will come with a different rear bumper so I can buy one for the rustang someday
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 11, 2010, 11:17:26 AM
I can't wait to see it.  I'm hoping it will come with a different rear bumper so I can buy one for the rustang someday
Yeah, when I get a 2011 Mustang GT, the rear bumper will get replaced with a GT500 unit.  The front bumper will be ditched for the Roush unit.  That's a smart looking front bumper.

SVT666

I can't wait to see what this Boss will look like.  I'm guessing it will have 450 hp and an even more aggressive suspension setup.  I sure hope it looks the part.

Nethead

Motor Trend magazine's BMW M3 V8-vs-Mustang GT Premium V8 article is fabulous! :rockon:  Cobra93 has posted the link in "The Official Mustang Thread", and it is also posted below so you don't hafta skip to there to get it.

CAUTION:  BlowCougs, you really don't want to go near that article.  If you do, please do so only in the presence of certified professional Suicide Hotline counselors--Hmmmmm--forget I said that!!!  Click on the link at the bottom of this posting immediately!!!!

For the intelligent forum participants, this was a Competition & Sport Package BMW M3 matched up with a similarly-equipped Mustang GT Premium--only the MT editors had to pack the Mustang with luxury fluff (and the requisite tonnage such baggage carries with it) to make this the most apples-to-apples comparo that they could.  And they still had enough money left over to buy a second Mustang :thumbsup:    Nice!

Don't get carried away and forget that a lighter, much less expensive Mustang GT Premium with just the performance options coulda been used in this comparo, but that would be stacking the deck against the high-end M3 and you'll read, see, and hear in this comparo that the new Mustang GT doesn't need any favors to go mano a mano with the Competition & Sport Package M3 Bimmer :ohyeah:

Here's a telling quote from the article:
"... To keep things fair, we spec a brand-new 2011 M3 Coupe with only 1300 miles on the clock. It comes with all the extra goodies that make the M3 a world-class tourer, but the option that most interests us is the new Competition Package. This $2500 kit provides a slightly wider track via higher offset 19-inch wheels and improved grip by way of stickier tires and suspension lowered 0.4 inch. Combined with revisions to the M3's electronic damping control (EDC) and dynamic stability control (DSC) systems, BMW claims the Competition Package-equipped M3 is "the best-handling production M vehicle ever built." Hmmm, hope they mean on a racetrack...
To meet this challenge, we ask Ford to send us a 2011 Mustang GT Premium with optional 3.73 gears ($395) and Brembo brake package ($1695). We also request nearly all the luxury options available (except the glass roof, for weight reasons) to make it a comparable GT. This explains the fancy stripes on the leather seats, HID headlamps, and Sync-based infotainment system.
Despite all the box checking, the only thing we can't equalize is the price. In fact, the chasm between the $67,025 M3 and $40,275 Mustang GT can easily be filled with, well, another Mustang..."

At the risk of being boastful (Who, me????) of how you-'n'-me's affordable performance car fared against one of the ten greatest vehicles of all time, I will defer to the MT editors and race ace Randy Pobst for the commentary, both written and verbal.  The videos and lap chart diagram speak for themselves.

Be aware that the Mustang's V8 had almost a full liter of displacement over the BMW's V8--which unsurprisingly gave the Mustang a 95 lbs-ft torque advantage--but the M3 had a 12:1 compression ratio advantage over the Mustang's 11:1 compression ratio, so that diminishes the advantage of that additional liter by a whole lot.  OTOH, the Mustang GT can run on Unleaded Regular...Startlingly (to the Nethead here, anyway), the Mustang gets much better mileage and emits significantly less carbon dioxide per mile. Hell, I emit more carbon dioxide per mile than does the Mustang GT!  The specification page offers fascinating speculation material :popcorn:, but the end result comes out the same:  There is no question that both of these terrific vehicles have earned their deserving inclusion among the Ten Greatest Vehicles of All Time, and it's now only necessary to determine exactly where they stand with respect to the other eight.    

My question is:  Who just got bumped off the list of the Ten Greatest Vehicles of All Time, because a new one just claimed its rightful place?  :praise:

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/packages_and_pricing.html#ixzz0xXUFrvg1

Nethead

NADAguides.com Lists the Vehicles With the Best Cost of Ownership
-Reminding consumers there is more to a car purchase than just the MSRP; BUT how much more? -

COSTA MESA, Calif., Aug. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Most consumers begin the car shopping process by setting a monthly or overall budget. However, the overall or monthly budget for a new car purchase isn't the only cost that should be considered when researching cars. Too often there are vital costs that are overlooked and should be considered when determining a budget. Fees and taxes can be a surprise during a vehicle purchase and depending on the state can typically include sales tax, documentation fees and registration; these can add up quickly. In addition, insurance costs, fuel, maintenance and typical repairs should also be included in the overall cost of the vehicle.

To assist consumers with this process, the analysts at NADAguides have used its Cost of Ownership tool to present the top vehicles with the best cost of ownership. The cost of ownership value takes into account depreciation, fees and taxes, financing, insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs over a five-year period.
"Far too many consumers get into a vehicle that is beyond their means. Not because they are unable to afford the monthly payments, but because they are unable to financially keep up with the ongoing costs associated with a vehicle - insurance, repairs, oil changes, etc.," says Don Christy, Jr., president of NADAguides. "Our team at NADAguides specifically developed the Cost of Ownership tool to help consumers determine what they can really afford."

The NADAguides top picks by body style with the best cost of ownership in relationship to their MSRP are:

Coupes

2011 Ford Mustang 2 Door GT Premium: MSRP of $32,845 with a total cost of ownership of $54,281 over a 5-year period, averaging $10,856.20 per year.    This is the exact model that Motor Trend just compared to the BMW M3--Kick ass, save money :thumbsup:

2011 BMW 1 Series 2 Door Convertible 128i SULEV: MSRP of $34,200 with a total cost of ownership of $58,385 over a 5-year period, averaging $11,677.00 per year.

Crossovers

2010 Honda CR-V 4WD 5 Door EX-L w/ Navigation: MSRP of $29,745 with a total cost of ownership of $46,166 over a 5-year period, averaging $9,233.20 per year.

2011 Ford Edge 4 Door Limited: MSRP of $34,220 with a total cost of ownership of $54,048 over a 5-year period, averaging $10,809.60 per year.

Luxury Vehicles

Yada yada yada...
Note: Actual cost of ownership values are based upon average miles driven per year, years of driving experience and ZIP code including the costs of depreciation, fees and taxes, financing, insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs over a five-year period. For this comparison, metrics were based off of a driver with more than 6 years experience that drives an average of 15,000 miles/year in the ZIP of 92626

MrH

Do you have a link to that article so we can see the other classes?

Thanks.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on August 30, 2010, 09:25:22 AM
Do you have a link to that article so we can see the other classes?

Thanks.
Just go look in "The Official Mustang Thread", "Tuner Mustangs", "Roadracing Mustangs", "Mustangs Rule Thread", "Nothing is better than a Mustang Thread", and last but not least "Ford is the King of the Universe Thread".

Nethead

Vinsanity

just read a C/D short-take review on the Mustang 5.0 convertible. Disappointing amount of chassis flex just like every Mustang convertible that preceded it. Damn. :frown:

It would be pointless to wait for a Camaro convertible, because by the time that comes out, I'd have saved up enough money for a Bimmer.