Most influential cars of all time

Started by 2o6, December 31, 2009, 07:40:54 PM

Tave

Quote from: JWC on January 03, 2010, 06:03:18 PM
If the vehicle provided a successful model for other companies...then you contradicted yourself.  It obviously was influential.   Since it only had one model line, you can't really separate the company from the vehicle's success.

It did not provide anything for other companies. It was a successful model that didn't have any successors.

The closest thing in spirit to a Beetle is a Model T.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on January 03, 2010, 06:00:14 PM
The Explorer was not the first SUV to popularize itself as a family vehicle. The Explorer was not the first of anything.

No, the Explorer was Ford's very, very late response to the 4-door Cherokee and Blazer/Jimmy. You want to talk about the first SUV to be used as a family car? You have to look a lot further back than the Explorer.

The Willys Jeep Wagon came out after the Second World War, and was the first all-steel wagon produced. That was the progenitor of all modern-day SUVs. The '63 Wagoneer took the concept and improved upon it, with interior appointments and mechanical features typical of a car of the day. The Cherokee improved on it still, with a more space-efficient interior, unibody construction, etc.

The Explorer was a cheap copy-cat. As I said earlier, it did nothing new.

That's true, but it's the poster child for all american SUV's and was the strongest seller in the "suv craze". That is very influential.

JWC

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 06:08:24 PM
It did not provide anything for other companies. It was a successful model that didn't have any successors.

The Beetle is often compared to the Model T, but I don't understand what it was supposed to provide for other companies that isn't fairly obvious. 

MX793

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 06:08:24 PM

Ever hear of the Chevy Corvair?  Compact car, rear mounted, boxer engine.  Offered as a coupe, sedan and even a van.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on January 03, 2010, 06:22:46 PM
Ever hear of the Chevy Corvair?  Compact car, rear mounted, boxer engine.  Offered as a coupe, sedan and even a van.

But the Corvair did not come close to doing what the Beetle did. It doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Moreover, it will not go down in the record books as one of Chevy's most iconic models.

Like I said, the Beetle has no spiritual successor. There are a handful of half-baked Beetle clones, but if that is the extent of it's "influence," then I don't consider that influence to be very remarkable.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

And remember, I concede that the Beetle is the most successful car of all time. I'm just saying that, in terms of influence, it hasn't steered the course of other automotive companies.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 06:28:34 PM
But the Corvair did not come close to doing what the Beetle did. It doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Moreover, it will not go down in the record books as one of Chevy's most iconic models.

Like I said, the Beetle has no spiritual successor. There are a handful of half-baked Beetle clones, but if that is the extent of it's "influence," then I don't consider that influence to be very remarkable.

The Tata Nano.

The 2CV.

The Fiat 500.

The Toyota Crown.

And I think the Corvair was an iconic and significant. It pretty much ended rear-engine mainstream cars.

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 06:32:18 PM
And remember, I concede that the Beetle is the most successful car of all time. I'm just saying that, in terms of influence, it hasn't steered the course of other automotive companies.

But it did. It was an example of how to build a car the market wants.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 06:28:34 PM

No, it didn't come close to rivaling the Beetle's success, but it was directly inspired by the Beetle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on January 03, 2010, 06:40:52 PM
No, it didn't come close to rivaling the Beetle's success, but it was directly inspired by the Beetle.

Yes, but are the Corvair, 2CV, et al. significant enough to make the Beetle the most influential car of all time?

I'm just trying to point that out: as obvious a choice as the Beetle is, maybe it isn't the right one.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 06:44:38 PM
Yes, but are the Corvair, 2CV, et al. significant enough to make the Beetle the most influential car of all time?

I'm just trying to point that out: as obvious a choice as the Beetle is, maybe it isn't the right one.

Read the title.

Influential cars of all time.

Tave

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on January 03, 2010, 06:48:52 PM

Yet and still, there can be more than one.

And I contend that the Beetle doesn't top any of them. :ohyeah:

2o6

Quote from: NACar on January 03, 2010, 06:49:25 PM
Why

It's an old truck that has been at the top.

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 06:49:55 PM
And I contend that the Beetle doesn't top any of them. :ohyeah:

Then, what car do you think is more influential?

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on January 03, 2010, 06:50:35 PM
Then, what car do you think is more influential?

Obviously the Model T

F-series

Benz Motorwagen

Austin 7

Citroen Traction Avant

Mini

Datsun 240Z

Toyota Corolla

Dodge Caravan

Willy's Jeep

Ford Taurus

Raza

I've got to side with Tave here. 

Building a car to the needs of your market is nothing new, nor was it pioneered by Volkswagen.  The Beetle was incredibly successful, and it may have spawned some soundalikes back in the day, but look at its lasting influence.  How many rear engined cars are on the market today?  Very few?  How many of them are mainstream cars?  Even fewer. 

The car that is a spiritual successor of the Beetle that comes most readily to mind is the Smart.  But even then, it's such a small portion of the market, it can't come close to rivaling the success the Beetle enjoyed. 

In short, the car of the people today doesn't resemble the Volkswagen Beetle. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

I firmly believe that the lasting influence, to repeat myself, was VW's very success and how it set an example for other foreign car manufacturers.  Those manufacturers later surpassed VW, but VW was the import car to beat...in size, reliability, cost, and fuel economy.

If you're just talking about technology, manufacturing, cultural influence, costs, and such...just stop with the Model T.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on January 03, 2010, 07:06:01 PM
Obviously the Model T

F-series

Benz Motorwagen

Austin 7

Citroen Traction Avant

Mini

Datsun 240Z

Toyota Corolla

Dodge Caravan

Willy's Jeep

Ford Taurus

The Corolla didn't bring anything to the market.

Quote from: Raza  on January 03, 2010, 07:21:36 PM
I've got to side with Tave here. 

Building a car to the needs of your market is nothing new, nor was it pioneered by Volkswagen.  The Beetle was incredibly successful, and it may have spawned some soundalikes back in the day, but look at its lasting influence.  How many rear engined cars are on the market today?  Very few?  How many of them are mainstream cars?  Even fewer. 

The car that is a spiritual successor of the Beetle that comes most readily to mind is the Smart.  But even then, it's such a small portion of the market, it can't come close to rivaling the success the Beetle enjoyed. 

In short, the car of the people today doesn't resemble the Volkswagen Beetle. 

Rear engine? So what. No one cares. The real idea of the beetle was a good cheap car for everyone. There were plenty of cheap cars at the time of the Beetle, but none were as successful.

To say it isn't influential at all isn't right. It was a model for success.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on January 03, 2010, 06:00:14 PM
The Explorer was not the first SUV to popularize itself as a family vehicle. The Explorer was not the first of anything.

No, the Explorer was Ford's very, very late response to the 4-door Cherokee and Blazer/Jimmy. You want to talk about the first SUV to be used as a family car? You have to look a lot further back than the Explorer.

The Willys Jeep Wagon came out after the Second World War, and was the first all-steel wagon produced. That was the progenitor of all modern-day SUVs. The '63 Wagoneer took the concept and improved upon it, with interior appointments and mechanical features typical of a car of the day. The Cherokee improved on it still, with a more space-efficient interior, unibody construction, etc.

The Explorer was a cheap copy-cat. As I said earlier, it did nothing new.
It made the SUV attractive.  Everyone and their dog bought an Explorer because it was more comfortable then any that came before it and blended truck and car better then any before it.  The Explorer was the bench mark and everyone tried to copy it.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on January 03, 2010, 07:48:02 PM
To say it isn't influential at all isn't right. It was a model for success.
Air cooled engine equals success? Nope...
Letting a product wither on the vine for half a century leads to success? GM tries to do that, and look where they are now. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

I'd say the Espace or the Caravan (depending on who you ask) are among the most influential cars since they catalyzed the MPV craze. I consider SUVs to be a form of MPV so this encompasses that craze too. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2010, 05:21:58 AM
I'd say the Espace or the Caravan (depending on who you ask) are among the most influential cars since they catalyzed the MPV craze. I consider SUVs to be a form of MPV so this encompasses that craze too. ;)

The Espace didn't sell welll when it first came out.

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2010, 05:20:07 AM
Letting a product wither on the vine for half a century leads to success? GM tries to do that, and look where they are now. :lol:

The air-cooled engine was quite an advancement for its time--though Porsche stole it--and through the years it was updated quite often.  It was the basis for Porsche engines. 

The only thing that killed the air-cooled engine was smog requirements.  I'd venture to say it was the most adaptable engine ever made.  It powered cars and trucks, generators, crop sprayers and even draw bridges in Chicago.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2010, 05:20:07 AM

Wither?

It stayed competent until it was replaced with the Golf in 74'.

And then the Golf went on to become one of the world's best selling nameplates.

the Teuton

I say the Corolla and Ford F-Series, if for no other reasons than success, duration, and ever-competitiveness in the marketplace.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

How are boring, popular cars influential? Maintaining the status quo is anti-influence. And what is all this F-series jackoffery? It's as if you people think GM didn't sell more trucks.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Northlands

I can think of two boring/popular cars a couple of decades back.

I'll throw in the Ford Taurus/Honda Accord duo. I think both ended up being benchmarks that ( one after the other ) that other car makers we're trying to keep up with. For years.

VW Golf/Rabbit. Another car that is still a benchmark in its category.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

rohan

This is actually really easy- Edsel.

Permantly and forever turned Americans off to diesels.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle