When do you just give up and trade the thing in...

Started by r0tor, January 05, 2010, 01:37:42 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2010, 10:43:23 AM
intake valves (which are stuck), the water pump (which will need to be replaced in a year or so), clutch, ignition (continuous problem until i put an aftermarket system on), ecu, ect ect

Still cheaper than a new car. By far.
Will

r0tor

well, we got a warm spell here and I decided to absolutely beat the piss out of the RX8... we are talking driving 5+ miles continually over 8,000 rpm and another few miles spent going from 5k-9k-5k and repeating continually for 2 days.  Complete thrashing....

...my secondary intake valve is no longer sticking and the CEL is gone  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

r0tor

after another day of thrashing still no CEL and my maf is reporting 210g/s peak airflow compared to 185g/s with the stuck valve... woot

i almost ran out of gas having so much fun  :mask:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Rotaries really do work better when you thrash them.  Carbon deposits are the cause of a lot of problems.  The only easy solution is to just burn them out by revving the shit out of them :praise:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Well, if driving harder is the solution, I see no reason to sell the car.  Just get a mechanic's note to show coppers!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

...yea i'm so going to get a ticket doing this...

I was bombing down a small 2 lane road doing like 65 in a 35 and then was doing like 90mph maxing out 3rd gear in a 55mph speed limit (repeatedly and for miles and miles)

Onslaught

About the water in the lights. The original 8's foam seal wasn't big enough. Over time water would get in because it pools up around the top of light. You ever open the trunk and see all the water that stays around the gutter area? Mazda has come out with a thicker seal but I'm not sure I still trust it. I'm thinking about taking my lights out and putting a thin layer of clear silicone sealer on the front and back of the foam. Figure it wouldn't hurt anything even if I don't have the water in the lights problem.

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on January 19, 2010, 05:37:09 PM
...yea i'm so going to get a ticket doing this...

I was bombing down a small 2 lane road doing like 65 in a 35 and then was doing like 90mph maxing out 3rd gear in a 55mph speed limit (repeatedly and for miles and miles)
Sounds like you've fallen in love with the RX8 again. Don't trade it in!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Yea I left mazda try to fix the tailight problem twice now and have failed.  Ill probably do the silicone thing like I did to my gfs neon... Just have to research a bit if the passenger side tail is a pain in the ass to take off since the trunk lock is in it

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on January 22, 2010, 11:26:51 AM
Yea I left mazda try to fix the tailight problem twice now and have failed.  Ill probably do the silicone thing like I did to my gfs neon... Just have to research a bit if the passenger side tail is a pain in the ass to take off since the trunk lock is in it
It's not any different that the other side. The lock is bolted to the rear body panel and the light fits over it. All you need to do is take the interior panels off and then it should be 4 10 mm bolts holding it on. I think it also has a plastic post that snaps into a clip into the body panel. They can be kind of a bitch to get off sometimes without snapping them. Try to pry it from the side next to the quarter panel with a very wide driver or something to make it snap free. That is if it's not wanting to come off without force.