Ford Focus to debut at Detroit

Started by SVT666, January 08, 2010, 09:58:06 AM

nickdrinkwater

They are saying this is a 2012 model which means the earliest this can be available is in a year, right?

If so, way to early to unveil the car.

FoMoJo

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 11, 2010, 12:17:36 PM
This is commonplace in Europe.  I don't know how it works, but it does.
Is that for hybrids and Direct Injection only or do they apply it to other engine types as well?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 11, 2010, 12:29:40 PM
They are saying this is a 2012 model which means the earliest this can be available is in a year, right?

If so, way to early to unveil the car.
Yeah, you're right.  Though seeing this may force potential buyers to hold off and wait to buy this car instead of a Civic or Corolla.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 11, 2010, 12:30:48 PM
Is that for hybrids and Direct Injection only or do they apply it to other engine types as well?

It's definitely not hybrid or direct injection only, AFAIK.  It's standard across the BMW range here (including the MINI) and on cars like the Fiat 500.  Also standard on some Audi and Volvo models.

FoMoJo

It's, certainly, a step up in the interior.  Looks very impressive.  It'd be interesting to see where it redlines.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 11, 2010, 12:39:21 PM
It's definitely not hybrid or direct injection only, AFAIK.  It's standard across the BMW range here (including the MINI) and on cars like the Fiat 500.  Also standard on some Audi and Volvo models.
That, likely, means that they're using some type of Integrated Starter/Generator feature.  Are you still on a 12 volt system?

nickdrinkwater

Looks good I admit, but a bit fussy

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 11, 2010, 11:02:01 AM
Big improvement on the 4-door.  The 5-door just looks gorgeous. 

I like this feature as well...Another feature that will be new to the Focus is automatic start-stop functionality that switches off the engine when the car comes to a halt. This will be one of the first such applications in the U.S. market in a non-hybrid vehicle....It would be interesting to see exactly how it works but, with direct-injection, they should just be able to squirt a bit of fuel in the appropriate combustion chamber and light it off.

I'd assume its the same as Mazda's i-stop technology http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/env/engine/siss2.html
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 11, 2010, 12:43:04 PM
That, likely, means that they're using some type of Integrated Starter/Generator feature.  Are you still on a 12 volt system?

To be honest I don't know  :facepalm:

SVT666

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 11, 2010, 12:37:31 PM
I like that steering wheel
The wheel itself looks identical to that of my SVT.  Nicest wheel I've ever gripped.

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on January 11, 2010, 12:48:50 PM
I'd assume its the same as Mazda's i-stop technology http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/env/engine/siss2.html
I remember that article from the topic of a year or so ago.  I was wondering if Mazda is using it as well.  I haven't heard.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 11, 2010, 11:11:20 AM
How does that work in the middle of winter?  I need the heat to keep blowing and I need that windscreen clear of fog.

I bet there is some logic which would prevent this from functioning at certain temperature extremes.

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 11, 2010, 12:41:23 PM
It's, certainly, a step up in the interior.  Looks very impressive.  It'd be interesting to see where it redlines.
Judging from the other pictures, it looks like somewhere around 6800 rpm.

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 11, 2010, 12:50:24 PM
I remember that article from the topic of a year or so ago.  I was wondering if Mazda is using it as well.  I haven't heard.

I believe the new Aexela (our 3) has an i-stop 2.0L in production this year

Mazda displayed a whole buch of "SKY" gasoline and diesel world engines at tokyo last fall with i-stop being part of the package... rumours are they start showing up for 2011 and have impressive mpg numbers
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on January 11, 2010, 01:30:55 PM
I believe the new Aexela (our 3) has an i-stop 2.0L in production this year

Mazda displayed a whole buch of "SKY" gasoline and diesel world engines at tokyo last fall with i-stop being part of the package... rumours are they start showing up for 2011 and have impressive mpg numbers
I wonder if Ford gets to use some of them.  I think I read something about Ford using the 'Euro' design I4 for their EcoBoost engine.

TBR

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 11, 2010, 12:45:28 PM
Looks good I admit, but a bit fussy

Seems to be a trend with recent Ford interiors.

All in all, this looks great. Much better than the 2nd gen car, but not as crisp as the original. The drivetrain options sound fantastic. Not quite ready to crown this with COTY though, that's just absurd.

Catman

Wow that's a huge improvement.  Looks awesome! :clap:

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 11, 2010, 11:11:20 AM
How does that work in the middle of winter?  I need the heat to keep blowing and I need that windscreen clear of fog.

Fan motors for the HVAC will turn on in many cars when the key is in the "ON" position even if the engine isn't running.  You may lose the A/C compressor, unless they also run that off of an electric motor (like on some hybrids).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 11, 2010, 03:58:57 PM
Fan motors for the HVAC will turn on in many cars when the key is in the "ON" position even if the engine isn't running.  You may lose the A/C compressor, unless they also run that off of an electric motor (like on some hybrids).
It doesn't heat worth crap or cool worth a shit when the engine isn't running.

3.0L V6

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 11, 2010, 05:20:26 PM
It doesn't heat worth crap or cool worth a shit when the engine isn't running.

I wonder if this Focus uses an electric water pump. Likely not, but you could keep the car reasonably warm with the engine off if you had one to circulate the coolant through the heater core.

MX793

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 11, 2010, 04:18:43 PM
Ford FTW.

I just wish they'd figure out proper ergonomics with their steering wheel control placement.  Cruise control should be on the right side of the wheel, stereo controls on the left.  Everybody else seems to have figured that out (including Mazda, which Ford used to own a controlling share of) except Ford.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

I don't like Ford's wiper/signal stalk. It's bad in the C170 Focus. It's worse in the Town Car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on January 11, 2010, 07:36:57 PM
I don't like Ford's wiper/signal stalk. It's bad in the C170 Focus. It's worse in the Town Car.

I love them.  :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on January 11, 2010, 07:34:49 PM
I just wish they'd figure out proper ergonomics with their steering wheel control placement.  Cruise control should be on the right side of the wheel, stereo controls on the left.  Everybody else seems to have figured that out (including Mazda, which Ford used to own a controlling share of) except Ford.

:confused:

You're talking about a left hand drive car?  Cruise control should be on the left, stereo controls on the right...in the middle of the car, where the stereo is.  I think every car I've ever owned has had cruise control on the left.  The right is for wipers.   
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 11, 2010, 08:36:29 AM
I repeat.  This will be COTY for 2012 (not 2011 as previously stated).

You don't have any idea what it would be competing against for that award. Name one other 2012-model car that's already been unveiled. :rolleyes:

MX793

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20975.msg1241413#msg1241413 date=1263264258
:confused:

You're talking about a left hand drive car?  Cruise control should be on the left, stereo controls on the right...in the middle of the car, where the stereo is.  I think every car I've ever owned has had cruise control on the left.  The right is for wipers.  

Yes, on a left hand drive car.  Think of it this way:
What are you more likely to be fiddling with in stop and go traffic, the cruise or the radio?
Where is the shifter located in a LHD car?

By putting the radio controls on the left side of the wheel, it allows you to change stations/tracks or adjust the volume while having your right hand free to change gears in stop and go traffic.  Meanwhile, in driving situations were you'd be utilizing the cruise control, you should have next to no reason to need to be regularly shifting gears so your right hand is free to use the cruise control buttons anyway.  Not to mention you can have your left arm resting on the top of the door sill, elbow hanging out of the window, on a nice day and still be able to adjust your cruise.  If you're going to put the secondary radio controls in a place where you still need your right hand to use them, you might as well not bother putting them on the wheel at all.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on January 11, 2010, 07:56:09 PM
Yes, on a left hand drive car.  Think of it this way:
What are you more likely to be fiddling with in stop and go traffic, the cruise or the radio?
Where is the shifter located in a LHD car?

By putting the radio controls on the left side of the wheel, it allows you to change stations/tracks or adjust the volume while having your right hand free to change gears in stop and go traffic.  Meanwhile, in driving situations were you'd be utilizing the cruise control, you should have next to no reason to need to be regularly shifting gears so your right hand is free to use the cruise control buttons anyway.  Not to mention you can have your left arm resting on the top of the door sill, elbow hanging out of the window, on a nice day and still be able to adjust your cruise.  If you're going to put the secondary radio controls in a place where you still need your right hand to use them, you might as well not bother putting them on the wheel at all.

That sounds ridiculous.

You're stopped, so if you need to fiddle with the stereo, put the car in gear and push in the clutch.  When driving, the hand most likely to be away from the wheel is the right hand, any control that may need to be adjusted on the fly should be on the left side.  You put your elbow up on the sill and then hold the wheel with that hand.  From that position, you should be able to control whatever you need to control if your right arm is on the center armrest.

Thinking about this more, it seems completely arbitrary and based on each person.  I like it on the left. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I hate all buttons on steering wheels! Go away! :rage:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)