Hemi's new SUV

Started by SVT666, January 11, 2010, 10:50:42 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 12, 2010, 12:41:21 AM
Which is virtually on par with the US dollar.  I just went to kia.com and built a V6 with leather and a sunroof and it came to over $36,000.  So even if they are giving $7000 off, it's still $10,000 more then the Explorer and I still can't buy it because the manufacturers won't allow US dealers to sell new cars to Canadians.

I went back to kia.ca and realized that the Borrego only comes with leather and a sunroof in Canada, so I built it again and it came to $39,145 for the V6.

I still want the cash.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT32V

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 11, 2010, 10:50:42 AM
Well, I just bought an SUV in Denver.  Kind of.  It's subject to a test drive...and my wife's approval (because she doesn't know yet).

Here is the Craigslist ad.

In my experpeince, Denver is a bad place to buy an SUV, people actually value such things out there unlike the coasts.  Further, Winter would seem like the wrong time to buy and SUV, sort of like buying a convertible in the spring.

Just sayin'

SVT666

Quote from: SVT32V on January 12, 2010, 08:42:53 AM
In my experpeince, Denver is a bad place to buy an SUV, people actually value such things out there unlike the coasts.  Further, Winter would seem like the wrong time to buy and SUV, sort of like buying a convertible in the spring.

Just sayin'

Not sure I follow.  A good deal is a good deal no matter the time of year.  It's a lease return as well by the way.

S204STi

Nice thing about some lease returns is that many fleets have a strong maintenance plan. This may have been cared for quite well.

The thing to realize is that while used cars are up in sales there is still low demand across the industry, so salesmen will still make a good deal with you.  Maybe he could have found something elsewhere but in terms of proximity to a major airport and length of the return trip, this is probably as far out as you'd want to go for a car.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on January 12, 2010, 11:41:06 AM
Nice thing about some lease returns is that many fleets have a strong maintenance plan. This may have been cared for quite well.

The thing to realize is that while used cars are up in sales there is still low demand across the industry, so salesmen will still make a good deal with you.  Maybe he could have found something elsewhere but in terms of proximity to a major airport and length of the return trip, this is probably as far out as you'd want to go for a car.
It's a two day drive.  Virtually everything in California was 2 wheel drive too so that didn't work for me, and cars in the East are rusting away from all the salt damage.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 12, 2010, 11:59:42 AM
It's a two day drive.  Virtually everything in California was 2 wheel drive too so that didn't work for me, and cars in the East are rusting away from all the salt damage.

Do most people cars longer out west because of the lack of corrosion?  My Mazda will still likely be running fine when the body and chassis rust away (and it's in pretty good shape 'cause it's from North Carolina).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Colonel Cadillac

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on January 12, 2010, 09:03:39 PM
Do most people cars longer out west because of the lack of corrosion?  My Mazda will still likely be running fine when the body and chassis rust away (and it's in pretty good shape 'cause it's from North Carolina).

Let me put it this way: there's a reason most of the custom shops are located out west.

My 94 Subaru which I still see on a weekly basis looks brand new, other than a dent in the passenger door and some scratches here and there, and it lived in ID and CO most of its life.  No rust.

SVT666

Well, I posted too soon.  I've requested my deposit back because I found an even better deal in Seattle.  This one popped up out of the blue.  Usually the deals in Seattle aren't this good, so I pulled the trigger on it this morning, and I'll be going down to get it as soon as I can.  Best I could find in BC with that mileage and those options was $29,000.

2007 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4, 3 rows of Leather Seating, 26,000 miles, $18,984.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 15, 2010, 11:26:19 AM
Well, I posted too soon.  I've requested my deposit back because I found an even better deal in Seattle.  This one popped up out of the blue.  Usually the deals in Seattle aren't this good, so I pulled the trigger on it this morning, and I'll be going down to get it as soon as I can.  Best I could find in BC with that mileage and those options was $29,000.

2007 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4, 3 rows of Leather Seating, 26,000 miles, $18,984.

:confused: wow, nice deal man!  Good find.  Bummed we won't meet up but I understand. :ohyeah:

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on January 15, 2010, 11:55:26 AM
:confused: wow, nice deal man!  Good find.  Bummed we won't meet up but I understand. :ohyeah:
Yeah, I was looking forward to that.  I was also really looking forward to the hockey game and the Shelby museum.

nickdrinkwater

So, u got deposit back ok?

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 15, 2010, 12:37:59 PM
So, u got deposit back ok?
Yup.  Unfortunately the CDN dollar is worth more today then it was two days ago, so I'll be getting a few dollars less back then I initially gave them.

FoMoJo

Well, I gotta' say I like the colour better.  Better mileage as well.  Looks like a real good deal.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 15, 2010, 12:43:22 PM
Yup.  Unfortunately the CDN dollar is worth more today then it was two days ago, so I'll be getting a few dollars less back then I initially gave them.

Cool.

One thing:  is this the only car in the area you have found that suits?

Just thinking, normally it would be better 'business' to wait until you got there & then make an offer.  From a haggling standpoint.  If you've paid a deposit already I doubt you'd be in a good position to bargain

The trade off of course is that you also run the risk the car will be sold by the time you get there so it's good to have alternatives to fall back on

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 15, 2010, 02:37:11 PM
Cool.

One thing:  is this the only car in the area you have found that suits?

Just thinking, normally it would be better 'business' to wait until you got there & then make an offer.  From a haggling standpoint.  If you've paid a deposit already I doubt you'd be in a good position to bargain

The trade off of course is that you also run the risk the car will be sold by the time you get there so it's good to have alternatives to fall back on
It's hard to find what we're looking for at a reasonable price.  I've been looking for about 3 months now and this is the best one I've come across.  I just finished negotiating the price, but they didn't move much because it's such a good deal already.  The deal is subject to a test drive.  If I don't like it after the test drive, I get every last penny back.

SVT666

It looks like I paid for the truck just in time.  Our dollar has dropped nearly two cents since I paid for it.

JWC

So, you own this now?

Sorry I missed the thread.  Explorers are known for wheel bearing problems.  When the issue first came up, we thought it was just 2003-05 models.  As mileage crept up on newer ones, we saw the same thing.   If you hear any noise while driving, don't assume it to be tire noise.  ASK for them to check it.  If the dealer says it is tire noise, do what we used to do to eliminate that possibility, pull another off the line and swap tires.

Be leery of wheels with curb rash too, that contributes to wheel bearing failure.

SVT666

Quote from: JWC on January 21, 2010, 01:50:02 PM
So, you own this now?

Sorry I missed the thread.  Explorers are known for wheel bearing problems.  When the issue first came up, we thought it was just 2003-05 models.  As mileage crept up on newer ones, we saw the same thing.   If you hear any noise while driving, don't assume it to be tire noise.  ASK for them to check it.  If the dealer says it is tire noise, do what we used to do to eliminate that possibility, pull another off the line and swap tires.

Be leery of wheels with curb rash too, that contributes to wheel bearing failure.
It's only got 26,000 miles on it, but I'll make sure before I leave with it. 

JWC

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 21, 2010, 02:05:54 PM
It's only got 26,000 miles on it, but I'll make sure before I leave with it. 

It is a lot easier to handle those things beforehand.  If you do find something wrong, even something minor, don't let them give you the "well, it is a used car".  That's okay for small scratches and such, but it should be notated on the paperwork.  Not for anything mechanical or electrical.  I've seen it done at every dealership.  That and getting you to take delivery with a promise to repair, only the sales manager will later claim the salesman didn't have the authority to give such a promise.

Rupert

Explorers chew up front end parts in general...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Well I'm sitting in the airport waiting to board my flight to Seattle to pick up the Explorer. I'm sitting here liftening to Tracy Chapman on my iPod and I'm thinking the terrorists are winning.  I went through three checkpoints that all asked the same questions and for the documentation.  Not once was I searched despite the fact that I have no checked bags and a one way ticket.  The two grandmas in front of me both had personal thorough searches done because a stupid random light said so.  Its kinda like when you go to Mexico.  The terrorists have won my friends.  The terrorists have won.

93JC

Just wait till you get off the plane in Seattle. When I went to Orlando there was an automated message on the PA system saying, "Attention: the Department of Homeland Security terror alert level is now 'Orange'. Please monitor your luggage at all times, and advise security personnel if you encounter persons exhibiting suspicious behaviour."

I immediately started laughing. The terrorists have totally won.

SVT666

About to take a Camaro SS out for a spin before I leave Seattle. I hope I don't crash in the rain.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on January 30, 2010, 04:20:29 PM
About to take a Camaro SS out for a spin before I leave Seattle. I hope I don't crash in the rain.

How do you just end up with a Camaro SS during a layover :/
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SVT666 on January 30, 2010, 04:20:29 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Camaros actually have rear suspension.

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 30, 2010, 04:22:32 PM
How do you just end up with a Camaro SS during a layover :/
I was waiting for the paperwork for the Explorer and I asked the salesman if I could take the SS out for a spin and he grabbed the keys and said, "Let's go!".

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 31, 2010, 01:18:32 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Camaros actually have rear suspension.
Suspension doesn't mean shit when the pavement is wet.  It's all about tires and power at that point.  The Camaros tires are shit in the wet and the power is overwhelming.  I will have a review of the Camaro some time today.

SVT666

7.5 hours of driving and two mountain passes...and the Explorer returned 22.1 mpg.