Does GM deserve sympathy?

Started by the Teuton, January 17, 2010, 11:47:26 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 18, 2010, 06:30:14 PM
Short answer, no.

Long answer, nnnnooooooo.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to say.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 18, 2010, 01:50:18 PM
Have you driven it?  I have.  In fact I've driven the SE with 6MT and an SEL auto.  It's great.  I would say it's on par with the Accord, but I found it a little more fun to drive.  Even the magazines have stated that it's actually an entertaining drive.

I have, actually.  It was a fine car in every category, but it wasn't great.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on January 18, 2010, 11:00:58 PM
I have, actually.  It was a fine car in every category, but it wasn't great.

It's great.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Nethead

Short answer, no.

There's nothing that can be added to this :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:
So many stairs...so little time...

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2010, 08:36:37 AM
You don't understand why people who work hard to earn money and have to pay taxes on it would resent subsidizing a company that has been so badly mismanaged for so long?

When you're really working to support yourself, and forking over half your money to a corrupt and spendthrift government so it can be used to buy votes on issues that are anathema to you, then maybe you'll understand.

+1

nickdrinkwater

Short answer, no.

I'm surprised at you FBC I thought you'd have said yes

the Teuton

Here's another bit I read the other day. GM had been saying that the Volt could go 40 miles without the engine kicking on. Well, Bob Lutz dispelled that rumor. He's seeing around 28 on his personal Volt.

As well, Whitacre said that the car would be priced in the low-30s when it comes out. Yesterday, he had to retract that statement, or at least amend it. The car will be priced in the low-30s after a $7,500 government tax rebate.

I smell commercial disaster coming this way.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on January 20, 2010, 08:39:39 AM
Here's another bit I read the other day. GM had been saying that the Volt could go 40 miles without the engine kicking on. Well, Bob Lutz dispelled that rumor. He's seeing around 28 on his personal Volt.

As well, Whitacre said that the car would be priced in the low-30s when it comes out. Yesterday, he had to retract that statement, or at least amend it. The car will be priced in the low-30s after a $7,500 government tax rebate.

I smell commercial disaster coming this way.
Well, the good thing for GM is that this failure won't hurt their bottom line.

GoCougs

The Volt will indeed be a commercial disaster.

GM is making the best overall domestic product as of late, but no, no sympathy is warranted, for it chose to bend over for the unions of its own free will.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2010, 11:09:28 AM

GM is making the best overall domestic product as of late,
No...no they do not.  They make the second best domestic product.  Ford's product is far and away better then GM's product offering.  The only things GM has that I'm impressed with right now (other then the Vette and CTS) is the Cobalt SS Turbo and the engine in the Terrain.

GoCougs

FORD JIHAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nethead

GM is making the best overall domestic product as of late, but no, no sympathy is warranted, for it chose to bend over for the unions of its own free will.

More BlowCougs Bullshit.  If GM vehicles were "...the best overall domestic product as of late..." they would have won at least one category (even Chrysler managed to do that) in the 2009 Customer Loyalty awards in R. L. Polk & Co.'s 14th Annual Automotive Loyalty Awards a week or so ago.  They weren't number one in customer loyalty in a single category of vehicles, nor number one in customer loyalty overall.  Record low numbers of people want to have them, and record high numbers of people who have them want something else when they trade them.  That doesn't happen to "best overall" in any product, be it vehicles or enemas.  

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2010, 11:48:48 AM
FORD JIHAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope.  You're just full of shit.  I can't believe you would trumpet GM cars when they took government money.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 20, 2010, 12:02:08 PM
Nope.  You're just full of shit.  I can't believe you would trumpet GM cars when they took government money.

That GM took bailout money doesn't change the characteristic of the product itself. I don't like that GM did it, and would have a real hard time buying GM because of it, but it's not going to make me reverse my stance on what I think of the products.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Minpin

Quote from: Psilos on January 20, 2010, 09:15:49 PM
Aaand, there goes the thread.

Wait for it.

GM NEEDS A SLAP IN THE CACK. BUT FORD NEEDS A CACK PERIOD.

Quote from: Psilos on January 20, 2010, 09:15:49 PM
Aaand, there goes the thread.

Ok, thread is saved.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

GoCougs

Nope, HERE goes the thread:

Camaro > Mustang.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Nethead

Responding to this is www.jalopnik.com:

Car Wash To GM Owners: Don't Blame Us When Your Crap Breaks

A Massachusetts car wash sign clearly states they won't assume responsibility for broken factory equipment on GM vehicles because of "overwhelming concerns regarding the engineering." Not only is it hilarious, it's also real. The full story below the jump.

The sign is not a Photoshop chop-job and it still hangs proudly outside All Washed Up in Medway, Massachusetts. According to an employee there, certain late model Chevy and GMC full-size trucks kept losing their folding mirrors and antennae to the washer's brushes.

"They had a defect in their manufacturing and it became such a problem that we posted a sign" the employee told us.

The problem has mostly ceased as GM has, according to the Car Wash, replaced those parts under a partial recall. However, the sign will stay because we're guessing not everyone may have followed through on that recall. Also, although the "overwhelming" concerns about GM's "engineering" may have been addressed, who knows whether the non-overwhelming and even pedestrian concerns with GM "engineering" have been addressed.

nickdrinkwater

Sympathy?  After the way GM has conducted itself over the sale of Opel, Vauxhall and now SAAB?

Sympathy??????????

hotrodalex

Quote from: Nethead on January 21, 2010, 10:13:13 AM
Responding to this is www.jalopnik.com:

Car Wash To GM Owners: Don't Blame Us When Your Crap Breaks

A Massachusetts car wash sign clearly states they won't assume responsibility for broken factory equipment on GM vehicles because of "overwhelming concerns regarding the engineering." Not only is it hilarious, it's also real. The full story below the jump.

The sign is not a Photoshop chop-job and it still hangs proudly outside All Washed Up in Medway, Massachusetts. According to an employee there, certain late model Chevy and GMC full-size trucks kept losing their folding mirrors and antennae to the washer's brushes.

"They had a defect in their manufacturing and it became such a problem that we posted a sign" the employee told us.

The problem has mostly ceased as GM has, according to the Car Wash, replaced those parts under a partial recall. However, the sign will stay because we're guessing not everyone may have followed through on that recall. Also, although the "overwhelming" concerns about GM's "engineering" may have been addressed, who knows whether the non-overwhelming and even pedestrian concerns with GM "engineering" have been addressed.

:facepalm:

I've seen cars of all makes get their antennas broken. I don't think I've seen a mirror that has been completely ripped off, but I've seen them get cracked or bent.

Nethead

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2010, 10:50:44 PM
Nope, HERE goes the thread:

Camaro > Mustang.

Child molester > GoCougs

Rupert

Quote from: Nethead on January 25, 2010, 08:42:50 AM
Child molester > GoCougs

OMG but what if,

Child molester = GoCougs

??????????????????