Bad gasoline?

Started by The Pirate, January 19, 2010, 10:42:07 PM

giant_mtb

Gotcha.  I've got sigs off, so I didn't see it. :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on January 31, 2010, 06:04:45 PM
It's a pretty good size tear, and it's right on the flex part of the hose.  I'm charging my work light right now, and I'm going to run out and pull it off, and see what I can do for a patch job.  But I'm pretty neurotic about my car (and I don't want to have to deal with the tape coming off in the middle of a trip), so I'm probably going to replace it anyway.

Ooooo, it will probably be hard to tape up if it's in the flexy part. Another temp solution would be to cut the section out, and replace it with a small section of solid pipe and hose clamps...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 31, 2010, 06:17:58 PM
Ooooo, it will probably be hard to tape up if it's in the flexy part. Another temp solution would be to cut the section out, and replace it with a small section of solid pipe and hose clamps...

Well, it was flexible, but it was more or less a straight line, so I wrapped as best I could.  Several layers and all that.  Took the car for a quick spin, and it definitely has moar powerz.  No weird stumbling idle immediately after letting off the gas either.  Time will tell (and I'm going to replace the hose anyway, just don't know if I'm going eBay intake or OEM part), but the car seems to have improved.  I'll know for sure as soon as the CEL disappears (though I suppose I could just reset and see if it stays gone).

Something is wrong though, it couldn't have been this easy...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on January 31, 2010, 07:14:09 PM
Well, it was flexible, but it was more or less a straight line, so I wrapped as best I could.  Several layers and all that.  Took the car for a quick spin, and it definitely has moar powerz.  No weird stumbling idle immediately after letting off the gas either.  Time will tell (and I'm going to replace the hose anyway, just don't know if I'm going eBay intake or OEM part), but the car seems to have improved.  I'll know for sure as soon as the CEL disappears (though I suppose I could just reset and see if it stays gone).

Something is wrong though, it couldn't have been this easy...

But it was that easy.  :rockon:

TBR

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 31, 2010, 05:51:03 PM
And unless you want one of the $300+ name-brand intakes, I would get this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-05-PROTEGE-PROTEGE5-MP5-MP3-2-0-AIR-INTAKE-K-N-L_W0QQitemZ370327390985QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item56393b8b09#ht_3356wt_939

Because it comes with a K&N filter, and the rest is just pipes.

+1

I have something similar, and it's been great. Sounds 100x better than the stock intake.

The Pirate

CEL is off, and car is back to full power.  Duct tape seems to be holding pretty well, too.  I'm going to replace the hose, just need to figure it if I'm going get an actual intake or just an OEM replacement.  Those eBay special intakes will have a mount for the MAF, right?

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on February 01, 2010, 10:24:49 PM
CEL is off, and car is back to full power.  Duct tape seems to be holding pretty well, too.  I'm going to replace the hose, just need to figure it if I'm going get an actual intake or just an OEM replacement.  Those eBay special intakes will have a mount for the MAF, right?

Those eBay special intakes can vary, but will generally utilize the original MAF housing somehow (which is a good thing, because it is specially calibrated for a certain size pipe). Another thing to be make sure of is that it has provisions for the breather hose, air temp sensor, and whatever else your intake normally has on it. It most likely does, but you could contact the eBay seller to be sure.

Even this cheap BOMz0rz intake has a slot for the temp sensor, and a nub for the breather hose: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOMZ-02-05-Mazda-Protege-MP3-MP5-5-Air-Intake-03-04_W0QQitemZ170429157131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27ae5e8f0b#ht_2620wt_971
That would be fine, but I'm not so sure about the quality of the filter on that.

Byteme

Quote from: The Pirate on February 01, 2010, 10:24:49 PM
CEL is off, and car is back to full power.  Duct tape seems to be holding pretty well, too.  I'm going to replace the hose, just need to figure it if I'm going get an actual intake or just an OEM replacement.  Those eBay special intakes will have a mount for the MAF, right?

If it were me I'd just spring for the $42 OEM part and be done with it.  You know it will fit and is engineered for the car in the first place.

The Pirate

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 02, 2010, 06:29:21 AM
If it were me I'd just spring for the $42 OEM part and be done with it.  You know it will fit and is engineered for the car in the first place.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm going to go.  I just have a problem (out of principle, mind you) paying $42 for what is basically a 16" length of rubber tubing.  Somebody is making a nice profit on that thing.

I do want an intake, but per some info from R-inge and some reading on my own, I'm just going to stay with the OEM part, for the reasons you stated.  Down the road, I'll get a car I can tinker with, but I depend on this car to get to work and class every day, so OEM it is.

Thanks again for the help everybody!  I'm thrilled that this seems to be fixed for $42 (damn cheap by car repair standards today!).  Only one busted knuckle, too.

Byteme

Quote from: The Pirate on February 02, 2010, 09:01:56 AM
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm going to go.  I just have a problem (out of principle, mind you) paying $42 for what is basically a 16" length of rubber tubing.  Somebody is making a nice profit on that thing.

I do want an intake, but per some info from R-inge and some reading on my own, I'm just going to stay with the OEM part, for the reasons you stated.  Down the road, I'll get a car I can tinker with, but I depend on this car to get to work and class every day, so OEM it is.

Thanks again for the help everybody!  I'm thrilled that this seems to be fixed for $42 (damn cheap by car repair standards today!).  Only one busted knuckle, too.

What are the dimensions of the tube (hose?) and how dies it attach at each end?  Got a picture?

The Pirate

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 02, 2010, 09:27:07 AM
What are the dimensions of the tube (hose?) and how dies it attach at each end?  Got a picture?

It's number 12 in this diagram.

Similar to this - though this one is for the 1.6L engine.  This one likely wouldn't work, it's missing a bracket and a few of the tabs and mounts are in the wrong place.

Honestly, $42 isn't a hell of a lot of money, and it is worth it to me to get something that's just going bolt in without me having to rig anything up. 

S204STi

That part may have an aftermarket "silicone" equivalent which is devoid of those corrugations.  That part is a common failure piece on my car apparently as well and there are aftermarket versions which hook right up.  Just a suggestion, though to be honest this is probably the one and only time you'll have to replace this part, and the silicone hoses may very well be more expensive than the OE part.

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on February 02, 2010, 10:04:14 AM
That part may have an aftermarket "silicone" equivalent which is devoid of those corrugations.  That part is a common failure piece on my car apparently as well and there are aftermarket versions which hook right up.  Just a suggestion, though to be honest this is probably the one and only time you'll have to replace this part, and the silicone hoses may very well be more expensive than the OE part.

Yeah, it's likely going to be the OEM piece.  Some parts on this car are just difficult to find.  I checked with my local NAPA this morning, and the guy couldn't find any air hose for the 2.0L engine.  Ran into the same thing when looking for the parking cable - NAPA only had a listing for drum brake equipped cars - I had to go to the dealer.  No big deal though, like you say it's probably a one time replacement.  The first one lasted 10 years and 130K miles. 

Eye of the Tiger

If you just get this kit, I believe it includes the tube you need:

Byteme

Quote from: The Pirate on February 02, 2010, 09:46:29 AM

Honestly, $42 isn't a hell of a lot of money, and it is worth it to me to get something that's just going bolt in without me having to rig anything up. 

I guess you could cut out the corregated part and find a piece of rubber tubing that would slip over each end and hose clamp it on.  That might save you a few bucks.  Try a NAPA Auito Parts store.  They generally have a selection of more obscure bulk itmes and might have a piece of hose that would work.  Or it's the required ID is a common size a piece of radiator hose might suffice. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on February 02, 2010, 10:17:31 AM
Yeah, it's likely going to be the OEM piece.  Some parts on this car are just difficult to find.  I checked with my local NAPA this morning, and the guy couldn't find any air hose for the 2.0L engine.  Ran into the same thing when looking for the parking cable - NAPA only had a listing for drum brake equipped cars - I had to go to the dealer.  No big deal though, like you say it's probably a one time replacement.  The first one lasted 10 years and 130K miles. 

At least dealers still have everything for your car...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JWC

The fresh air intake tube on my 78 VW is held together with a piece of PVC, silicone sealer, and duct tape.  You can get just about anything for the camper/bus but that hose.  They are only available used.

280Z Turbo

So use brake ducting or something.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TurboDan

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 19, 2010, 11:30:38 PM
You may need to run it some more to see if it can relearn how to run right, and see if the CEL comes back. 

If you can go somewhere and to read any stored OBD codes, that may help. Places like Auto Zone will tell you the codes for free, but maybe not what they mean. You can google them, or post them here.

One of my best investments of all time is my $69 OBDII reader. I can even USB it up to my laptop to get all kinds of cool data on the car, including proprietary VAG codes.

Rupert

Your vag has a code? I guess that makes sense... No wonder I never get in them when I want to!

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA