Toyota recalls 2.3 million more cars with stuck accelerator

Started by SVT666, January 21, 2010, 05:09:09 PM

SVT666

Toyota recalls 2.3 million more cars with stuck accelerators
01/21/2010, 6:28 PM
BY MARK KLEIS

2009 saw the largest-ever recall in the history of Toyota with 4.3 million vehicles recalled due to floor mats catching the accelerator pedal. Now, Toyota has launched a separate recall for 2.3 million vehicles concerning gas pedals that can malfunction and stick ? without a floor mat in the vehicle.

Toyota says that the latest recall is totally separate from the previous recall, and addresses the possibility of some accelerator pedals becoming stuck in a position that applies throttle, without a floor mat being present.

?Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position,? said Irv Miller, Toyota USA group vice president.

According to a report from Toyota, the chance of the pedal becoming stuck is very low, but it increases as the pedal wears over time. According to Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons, the pedal may become harder to press and may be slow to return once released. Because it is an issue that develops gradually over time, it was not detected during testing and development, prior to entering production.

Toyota says that it is notifying owners of the potential problem as well as advising them on how to react should the problem occur while driving. Toyota suggests not pumping the brakes, which may deplete brake pressure, but instead to apply firm, constant pressure, pull over at a safe location and turn the vehicle off. Toyota then suggests that owners make contact with a local dealership to obtain further assistance.

The vehicles effected by this recall include: 2009-10 Toyota Rav4, Corolla, Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2008-2010 Sequoia and 2008-10 Camry ? not including the Camry Hybrid.

Toyota has not commented on whether or not this problem may have played a role in either of the incidents Leftlane reported that involved the Toyota Avalon and possible unintended acceleration. In the aforementioned report on the Toyota Avalon, an Avalon was observed performing at full throttle while the floor mat was removed and a Toyota mechanic physically moved the gas pedal with no effect ? making the cause of that incident unlikely to be related to this latest recall.

Since 2009, Toyota has recalled 5.5 million vehicles concerning unintended acceleration issues.

omicron

So the specifications of accelerator pedal mechanisms of US-built Toyotas are different to those built everywhere else in the world? Unlikely, unless Toyota indulges itself in some highly obscure tweaking for different markets. If anything, it's a faulty part from a supplier, or it's nothing.

AutobahnSHO

But the article someone posted in a different thread was the guy threw it into neutral and stopped at the dealership right there. Smashing on the gas pedal did nothing to change the revving.
Will

3.0L V6

Maybe there's some defect in the drive-by-wire system. Sometimes, there's something to be said about good old fashioned throttle cables.

Byteme

Quote from: omicron on January 22, 2010, 12:00:57 AM
So the specifications of accelerator pedal mechanisms of US-built Toyotas are different to those built everywhere else in the world? Unlikely, unless Toyota indulges itself in some highly obscure tweaking for different markets. If anything, it's a faulty part from a supplier, or it's nothing.

Whether it's a part made by a third party for Toyota or made by Toyota makes no difference.  The end result is a part in a Toyota built vehicle is defective.

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 22, 2010, 04:42:29 AM
But the article someone posted in a different thread was the guy threw it into neutral and stopped at the dealership right there. Smashing on the gas pedal did nothing to change the revving.
So, now they have 3 problems with the excellerator mechanism.  The Floor mats, the actuator and a sticky gas pedal.  I wonder what the real problem is.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

I've noticed that it seems to only affect the Camry-based vehicles.

Seems like only ES'es, Avalons, RX's, Highlanders and Camrys are affected.

S204STi

Huh, interesting.  I've seen only one failure of a DBW pedal mechanism and it was actually a redundancy failure - basically one potentiometer failed, so the PCM went into limp-home mode - but other than sticking throttle plates due to crap building up I've never seen an actual sticking throttle issue.

Why not put a heavier spring on the pedal?

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 22, 2010, 04:42:29 AM

One possible explanation is always going to be coincidence. That's becoming increasingly unlikely of course, but it's not as if other automakers don't have isolated acceleration issues.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 22, 2010, 06:46:45 AM
So, now they have 3 problems with the excellerator mechanism.  The Floor mats, the actuator and a sticky gas pedal.  I wonder what the real problem is.

I'm still seeing shotgun approach to quell a PR problem.

Again, there has yet to be one shred of data or evidence for root cause (at least publicly).

Byteme

Well I doubt Toyota would go to the expense and incur the potential bad PR of announcing a recall just because they had nothing better to do on January 21, 2010.  The manufacturer obviously believes there is a problem. 

SVT666

Quote from: Byteme on January 22, 2010, 06:12:01 AM
Whether it's a part made by a third party for Toyota or made by Toyota makes no difference.  The end result is a part in a Toyota built vehicle is defective.
No matter who made the part, it was engineered by Toyota.

ifcar

Quote from: Byteme on January 22, 2010, 08:45:37 AM
Well I doubt Toyota would go to the expense and incur the potential bad PR of announcing a recall just because they had nothing better to do on January 21, 2010.  The manufacturer obviously believes there is a problem. 

The counter to that would be that Toyota is addressing a PR rather than engineering problem.

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on January 22, 2010, 09:34:28 AM
The counter to that would be that Toyota is addressing a PR rather than engineering problem.

Given their history of denying problems in the face of strong evidence to the contrary (think sludge) I doubt that's the case.

Byteme

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 22, 2010, 09:32:06 AM

I was going to say that as well, but I think some parts maybe speced by Toyota but the acutal engineering may be by an outside firm.  

Regardless, though, I think we agree it's Toyota's probem to fix.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 22, 2010, 09:32:06 AM

I like that Toyota didn't rush to blame someone else (go Ford/Firestone!!) but said it's their responsibility.
Will

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 22, 2010, 10:12:17 AM
I like that Toyota didn't rush to blame someone else (go Ford/Firestone!!) but said it's their responsibility.
Tires that come apart at highway speeds is the fault of the tire manufacturer though.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 22, 2010, 11:32:29 AM
Tires that come apart at highway speeds is the fault of the tire manufacturer though.

That seems somewhat different though since Ford speced an excessively low tire pressure.  Tire failure due to under-inflation isn't really the tire maker's fault, IMO.

ChrisV

Quote from: R-inge on January 22, 2010, 12:14:25 PM
That seems somewhat different though since Ford speced an excessively low tire pressure.  Tire failure due to under-inflation isn't really the tire maker's fault, IMO.

Then the tire manufacturer should have said, "they ain't gonna hold up at those low pressures." But they wanted their buck, so they said, "sure, we'll make anything you want."
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 22, 2010, 10:12:17 AM
Two points...

1/  Goodyears on the same vehicles made to the same spec had a spotless safety record.
2/  NHTSA investigation of real world accident data showed that the SUVs in question were no more likely to roll over than any other SUV.

As well, Ford took it upon themselves to replace all 13 million Firestone tires on their SUVs, not just the ones recalled.  Firestone was fighting for theirs lives and acted like asses.

During the 'sludge' espisode, Toyota blamed their customers.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

may I rescind my post then?

I rememberd Ford and Firestone arguing and arguing over the issue, but I didn't realize it really was just Firestone.

Toyota seems like they're throwing fixes at it as fast as possible to keep good PR, but I don't believe it's the mechanicals of the pedal mechanism!?.....
Will

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Schadenfreude

Curious: the Matrix is involved in the recall but not the Vibe?  Weren't they built at the same plant and are essentially the same car?  Makes you wonder if GM did something different to the Vibe that Toyota didn't do to the Matrix..odd to say the least.

ifcar

Quote from: Schadenfreude on January 23, 2010, 01:52:22 AM
Curious: the Matrix is involved in the recall but not the Vibe?  Weren't they built at the same plant and are essentially the same car?  Makes you wonder if GM did something different to the Vibe that Toyota didn't do to the Matrix..odd to say the least.

Built at different plants -- the Vibe alongside the Corolla at NUMMI and the Matrix in Canada.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: ifcar on January 23, 2010, 05:10:44 AM
Built at different plants -- the Vibe alongside the Corolla at NUMMI and the Matrix in Canada.

But the Corolla was recalled and the Vibe wasn't; what gives?  :huh:

ifcar

Quote from: Schadenfreude on January 23, 2010, 10:33:36 PM
But the Corolla was recalled and the Vibe wasn't; what gives?  :huh:

One theory: Toyota has a PR disaster on its hands and GM doesn't, and thus doesn't see the need to take any action to reassure people that it's working on a problem.

FoMoJo

Things are heating up...

Toyota suspends sale of eight models

Toyota?s recall problems just keep getting worse. Toyota said today that it will suspend sales of the eight models that the company stated it would recall on Jan. 21 due to isolated incidents of a sticking accelerator pedal. A recall is one thing, but when a company decides to stop selling the cars, it?s quite another. Bob Carter, Toyota division general manager and a group vice president of Toyota Motor Sales USA, said in a statement that the company wanted to stop sales until a remedy is found.

Recall that on Jan. 21, Toyota said it would recall 2.3 million vehicles that could potentially have a problem. They are the 2009 through 2010 RAV4, 2009 through 2010 Corolla, 2009 through 2010 Matrix, 2005 through 2010 Avalon, some 2007 through 2010 Camry models, 2010 Highlander, 2007 through 2010 Tundra and the 2008 through 2010 Sequoia.

See the link for more information...

VTEC_Inside

Dang, I was just about to post that...

Great time to be a speeder and own a Toyota, as much of an oxymoron as that may be.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

AutobahnSHO

Everything but the minivan???

Do any of the Lexus models share drivetrain/components with those models?
Will

MaxPower

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 26, 2010, 05:04:59 PM
Things are heating up...

Toyota suspends sale of eight models

Toyota?s recall problems just keep getting worse. Toyota said today that it will suspend sales of the eight models that the company stated it would recall on Jan. 21 due to isolated incidents of a sticking accelerator pedal. A recall is one thing, but when a company decides to stop selling the cars, it?s quite another. Bob Carter, Toyota division general manager and a group vice president of Toyota Motor Sales USA, said in a statement that the company wanted to stop sales until a remedy is found.

Recall that on Jan. 21, Toyota said it would recall 2.3 million vehicles that could potentially have a problem. They are the 2009 through 2010 RAV4, 2009 through 2010 Corolla, 2009 through 2010 Matrix, 2005 through 2010 Avalon, some 2007 through 2010 Camry models, 2010 Highlander, 2007 through 2010 Tundra and the 2008 through 2010 Sequoia.

See the link for more information...

So Jalopnik posts that one of the assembly lines that is suspended is the Camry line at the Subaru plant in Indiana.  Is there any possibility that the accelerator problem be found in any of the Subaru models made there?  I'm unclear as to what parts Toyota and Subaru share, if any.