Why is our 2WD truck so high?!

Started by 280Z Turbo, January 23, 2010, 12:07:57 PM

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on January 26, 2010, 05:49:53 AM
Hemi and I have been saying that for years. And in fact this is the very reason my dad's company no longer buys Chevy work trucks.

Yeah, the other group that has a big truck at work has a Dodge. I'm jealous.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21111.msg1252452#msg1252452 date=1264518219
First of all, the notion that you need a truck for offroading is ludicrous.  I've done plenty of offroading and never once got stuck in a FWD Passat.  Per my experience, the ultimate offroad vehicle is the B5 Passat.

That is 100% irrefutable. 

My folks wrote a hiking book using a Buick LeSabre as the field rig.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on January 26, 2010, 09:13:20 AM
Having grown up in farming country, there was a time when a two wheel drive truck was it for going through muddy fields...AKA, off-road.   It really wasn't until the 1990's that everyone felt they had to have a 4wd to go off-road.   

Of course, those 2WD trucks all had big gnarly rear tires.

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on January 26, 2010, 10:36:32 AM
:rolleyes:  @ 4wd trolls, on a futile mission to somehow prove that two wheels provide so much more traction than two wheels, and that anyone who thinks that two wheels could possibly be as good as two wheels off road must be a troll, themselves. Omicron has the right idea, as usual.

Quit being an ass.

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on January 26, 2010, 07:53:38 PM
My folks wrote a hiking book using a Buick LeSabre as the field rig.

That's like saying, "I use my car to fly when I drive it to the airport." :evildude:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on January 26, 2010, 06:54:31 PM
They must all think that way now. It looks like shit. But Chevy is the king of massive gaps.
Chevy seems to be the only offender.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on January 26, 2010, 07:54:57 PM
Quit being an ass.

I point out a fun fact, which is nearly a certain fact for anyone with an unbiased, open mind and any experience, but nobody says, "hey, interesting point" or "yeah, most of the capability of a 4x4, but without the extra complexity and weight". Instead, I get raped by an army of 4x4 trolls. Who's the ass?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on January 26, 2010, 08:09:51 PM
That's like saying, "I use my car to fly when I drive it to the airport." :evildude:

Ha, well, shit, you've got to get up those windy, poorly maintained gravel and dirt roads, somehow!

To expand on the topic, I guess, in some places you can get anywhere you probably want to go with a 2WD sedan (such as the OR and WA Cascades), but in others you are going to have a hard time without a high-clearance rig (ID) or 4WD (ID in the winter). There is the additional point, at least for those of us in the western U.S., that National Forest roads have gotten much worse, and continue to do so, so that a road that a passenger car could travel in 1990 might now be passable only to high clearance rigs.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on January 26, 2010, 09:16:27 PM
I point out a fun fact, which is nearly a certain fact for anyone with an unbiased, open mind and any experience, but nobody says, "hey, interesting point" or "yeah, most of the capability of a 4x4, but without the extra complexity and weight". Instead, I get raped by an army of 4x4 trolls. Who's the ass?

Except that it doesn't have most of the capability of a 4WD. I've given examples of where the 4WD wins, and I gave the only example I could think of where the locked 2WD would be better. Your ice on one side of the road example is OK, except that, how often is only one side of a road icy for its entire length? :huh:

Anyway, chill, dawg.

:lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on January 26, 2010, 09:35:37 PM
Except that it doesn't have most of the capability of a 4WD. I've given examples of where the 4WD wins, and I gave the only example I could think of where the locked 2WD would be better. Your ice on one side of the road example is OK, except that, how often if only one side of a road icy for its entire length? :huh:

Anyway, chill, dawg.

I've had many-a-4x4, and a few different types of rear diffs, and for all around simplicity and capability, I'd have to pick a 2wd with limited slip. It is capable in capable hands, and with RWD, it is fun in a the back wants to be up front kind of way. For hardcore trails, no doubt I would prefer to have a 4x4, and with a locking rear end. Dawg.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  :lol:

Tave

Yeah, but you live in Maine. The highest.....hill.....there is only 5,000 ft. :evildude:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on January 26, 2010, 10:24:02 PM
Yeah, but you live in Maine. The highest.....hill.....there is only 5,000 ft. :evildude:

5,267  :heated:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 26, 2010, 09:46:06 PM
I've had many-a-4x4, and a few different types of rear diffs, and for all around simplicity and capability, I'd have to pick a 2wd with limited slip. It is capable in capable hands, and with RWD, it is fun in a the back wants to be up front kind of way. For hardcore trails, no doubt I would prefer to have a 4x4, and with a locking rear end. Dawg.

You idiot

How are you supposed to move when you're driving like this?

You need 4WD for that.

Eye of the Tiger

I will be able to make the Swift do that once I put the giant tires on.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 26, 2010, 09:46:06 PM

But then why do you have an expensive 4WD? :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Raza

I kind of want a Nissan Frontier crew cab.  Cool looking trucks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2010, 07:03:40 AM
I kind of want a Nissan Frontier crew cab.  Cool looking trucks.

You could get those in S/C form right?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 27, 2010, 10:48:28 AM
You could get those in S/C form right?

Last generation, yes.  I believe Raza is talking about the current gen, which just comes with a giant, naturally aspirated VQ with more power than the supercharged motor
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on January 27, 2010, 10:53:59 AM

Last generation, yes.  I believe Raza is talking about the current gen, which just comes with a giant, naturally aspirated VQ with more power than the supercharged motor

I didn't know Nissan still made the frontier
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on January 27, 2010, 10:53:59 AM

I am, and I didn't know either way.

Personally, if I ever bought a truck, I'd prefer a diesel over a gas engine anyway. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Oh I remember now. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard ANYTHING about a the frontier since it was overhauled in 05 or something?

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2010, 11:07:19 AM
I am, and I didn't know either way.

Personally, if I ever bought a truck, I'd prefer a diesel over a gas engine anyway. 

Diesel trucks have a place in my heart. A tiny little spot, but how could they not with versions like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz2Oh_DGo7M&feature=arelated

93JC

SVT666

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 27, 2010, 11:10:44 AM
Diesel trucks have a place in my heart. A tiny little spot, but how could they not with versions like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz2Oh_DGo7M&feature=arelated
I hate those trucks with the exhaust stacks up through the box.  I also hate those trucks with the 6" exhaust that's so loud it's deafening.  It's not even a nice sound like a V8 rumble or the scream of a high strung V6.  It's a horrible sound.

SVT_Power

Mark if I said my parents were about to pick up a Grand Cherokee back when they got the explorer but they chose the explorer cuz I said the GC sucked, would you hate me?  :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: SVT666 on January 27, 2010, 11:13:33 AM
I hate those trucks with the exhaust stacks up through the box.  I also hate those trucks with the 6" exhaust that's so loud it's deafening.  It's not even a nice sound like a V8 rumble or the scream of a high strung V6.  It's a horrible sound.

I'd definitely do side pipes under the running boards. As much as I don't want my own car fuming black smoke like that, I find it comical as hell.