Current Mini Will Go Out With a Bang

Started by BMWDave, August 25, 2005, 06:50:11 AM

BMWDave

QuoteOh yeah, that is another great handler :rolleyes: . Have you driven a Mazda6, Mazda3, NX2000, MX-3, MX-6, or Prelude? Those are all excellent handling FWD cars.
I've driven the latest gen prelude. (the last one before production stopped), and an Integra. Do integras count?
I dont think you have pushed any of these cars around...have you taken them both in the turns and evaluated the handling limits of both of them?  For what you were probably driving in, there would be little forseeable difference between RWD, and FWD.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteOh yeah, that is another great handler :rolleyes: . Have you driven a Mazda6, Mazda3, NX2000, MX-3, MX-6, or Prelude? Those are all excellent handling FWD cars.
I've driven the latest gen prelude. (the last one before production stopped), and an Integra. Do integras count?
Yep, what did you think of them?  

Raghavan

I loved it, even though it had a huge ass fart can on it. But it was no where as nice as that MR-2 MK1.
And dave, i did some hard launches and stuff in my school parking lot. The FWD cars tended to push too much into the corner, and i couldn't get the back end loose. And the integra torque steered a lot.

giant_mtb

The Impala we drove for driver's ed was FWD.  The first thing I noticed when I drove the Grand Marquis was the difference between FWD and RWD.  For around town driving, it really doesn't make a difference, and I'm sure you haven't pushed any of those cars to the limits to really tell.

BMWDave

I loved it, even though it had a huge ass fart can on it. But it was no where as nice as that MR-2 MK1.
And dave, i did some hard launches and stuff in my school parking lot. The FWD cars tended to push too much into the corner, and i couldn't get the back end loose. And the integra torque steered a lot.
Doing stuff in your school parking lot isnt a determining factor to let you know all about FWD, you know. ;)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteThe Impala we drove for driver's ed was FWD.  The first thing I noticed when I drove the Grand Marquis was the difference between FWD and RWD.  For around town driving, it really doesn't make a difference, and I'm sure you haven't pushed any of those cars to the limits to really tell.
well, as i said, i 'pushed' them by driving as fast as i could around a circular planter thingy without losing control. it's about the size of a skidpad.

Raghavan

Doing stuff in your school parking lot isnt a determining factor to let you know all about FWD, you know. ;)
i know, but the MR-2 felt much more balanced, and i could get it drifting by jabbing the gas.

TBR

Remember that the MR-2 mk 1 was pretty much a 1980s Elise. It was very light and midengined, probably the best handling car of its day. But, cars like the Prelude and Integra are FWD for a reason.

Raghavan

Remember that the MR-2 mk 1 was pretty much a 1980s Elise. It was very light and midengined, probably the best handling car of its day. But, cars like the Prelude and Integra are FWD for a reason.
why?
And i'm not saying that all FWD cars should be banished to hell or anything. I wanted an integra GS-R, but i heard that those get stolen a lot for the engine and tranny, so i decided that was a no go.

giant_mtb

i know, but the MR-2 felt much more balanced, and i could get it drifting by jabbing the gas.
You can't really compare and MR-2 to whatever other car you drove...you do realize that, right?

Raghavan

You can't really compare and MR-2 to whatever other car you drove...you do realize that, right?
why not? they're both small, light low powered cars.

TBR

why?
And i'm not saying that all FWD cars should be banished to hell or anything. I wanted an integra GS-R, but i heard that those get stolen a lot for the engine and tranny, so i decided that was a no go.
It allows them to be smaller and to have more interior room, plus they were cheaper because they were FWD. What you don't realize is that a RWD Mini Cooper would likely cost as much as a 120i (or whatever the base engine model is) and have very, very little interior room.

TBR

The MR-2 is mid engined, a mid engine car will almost always handle better than a front engine one.  

giant_mtb

Preludes are heavier, have longer wheelbases, and aren't exactly meant for track duty and tossin' around like an MR-2.  ;)  

Raghavan

why?
It allows them to be smaller and to have more interior room, plus they were cheaper because they were FWD. What you don't realize is that a RWD Mini Cooper would likely cost as much as a 120i (or whatever the base engine model is) and have very, very little interior room.
it already doesn't have any interior room.

TBR

Exactly the problem, a RWD Mini Cooper would have even less. It would pretty much have to be a one person car!

Raghavan

QuoteExactly the problem, a RWD Mini Cooper would have even less. It would pretty much have to be a one person car!
They could make it a two seater hatchback.

TBR

QuoteExactly the problem, a RWD Mini Cooper would have even less. It would pretty much have to be a one person car!
That is practically what it already is ;). Getting rid of the rear seat wouldn't solve the problem, it would just make the car even less practical.

Raghavan

That is practically what it already is ;). Getting rid of the rear seat wouldn't solve the problem, it would just make the car even less practical.
you can make the car smaller by adding RWD, and then having space in the back by removing the seats.

TBR

You aren't getting it, the problem isn't the diff in the back, it is the driveshaft and transmission running between the driver and passengar seats that would cause a problem.

Raghavan

QuoteYou aren't getting it, the problem isn't the diff in the back, it is the driveshaft and transmission running between the driver and passengar seats that would cause a problem.
why? there's already a hump there...

TBR

Not one big enough to fit a transmission in.

Raghavan

QuoteNot one big enough to fit a transmission in.
you fit the tranny at the back

giant_mtb

And there goes your rear seat space and cargo room.

Raghavan

i said to take out the rear seats. ;)  

giant_mtb

Not very plausible/practical.

Raghavan

I just wanna RWD mini as a special edition model, like the Renault Clio V6.

giant_mtb

I doubt that will ever happen...thought it is a cool idea.

TBR

Do you realize just how small a Mini is? Even with a rear transaxle the tranny would still have to poke between the front seats.

TBR

I just wanna RWD mini as a special edition model, like the Renault Clio V6.
The Renault Clio Sport V6 uses what is basically a FWD drivetrain, it is just put in the backseat. Something like that might work with the Mini, but I am not sure there would be enough space.