If you had to drive one marque for the rest of your life...

Started by nickdrinkwater, January 30, 2010, 05:15:22 AM

mzziaz

Bimmer.

Easy question. Nice cars in almost every conceivable segment.
Cuore Sportivo

SVT666

Quote from: mzziaz on February 01, 2010, 12:01:09 AM
Bimmer.

Easy question. Nice cars in almost every conceivable segment.
They're missing lots of segments, but I digress.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on February 01, 2010, 12:12:25 AM
They're missing lots of segments, but I digress.

What segments are they missing other than a pick-up truck?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

mzziaz

Quote from: Rupert on February 01, 2010, 02:31:39 AM
Anything not luxury. Also a real SUV.

116 isn't very luxurious, imo. And since a premise was that money didn't matter, I don't mind some amenities (and driving dynamics) in the car.

the X5 is SUV enough, albeit not as truck like as some of the US competitors.

They do lack a pick up, however - which I'll never need anyway. 
Cuore Sportivo

MrH

Quote from: Rupert on February 01, 2010, 02:31:39 AM
Anything not luxury. Also a real SUV.

Who cares if it's "luxury" or not?  Wouldn't you prefer a luxury vehicle if given a choice?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 01, 2010, 01:13:35 AM
What segments are they missing other than a pick-up truck?
You said "almost every conceivable segment", which is patently false.  They are missing small pickup, large pickup, large SUV, a proper 4x4, a supercar, a minivan, an SUV or crossover with 3 rows of seating, and small, medium, and large sedans and coupes that are not luxury.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on February 01, 2010, 08:16:50 AM
Who cares if it's "luxury" or not?  Wouldn't you prefer a luxury vehicle if given a choice?
He said, "almost every conceivable segment".  Not having any cars that aren't luxury is not almost every conceivable segment.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on February 01, 2010, 09:08:56 AM
You said "almost every conceivable segment", which is patently false.  They are missing small pickup, large pickup, large SUV, a proper 4x4, a supercar, a minivan, an SUV or crossover with 3 rows of seating, and small, medium, and large sedans and coupes that are not luxury.

Well, I'm not going to directly argue with because you're right on all counts except for one (X5 has a 3rd row), but rather I'm going to share more of my thought process behind what I'm thinking and, for the purposes of this post, I'm assuming that mizzaz is thinking (since he's who said "almost every conceivable segment," not me).

So when I chose BMW, I was thinking of every conceivable segment that I could imagine myself wanting/needing given the stipulation that money is no object. To knock the "no non-luxury" argument out off the bat - why would you need non-luxury cars if you can get luxury cars at no cost to you? Not to mention that a lot of the decontented European models aren't exactly the pinnacle of luxury.

These are the segments that I had in mind (and some of which I added to fit your categories better) for this thread, and the BMWs that fit the bill.  

Subcompact hatch/coupe: 1er
Subcompact sedan: N/A
Compact sedan/wagon/coupe: 3er
Mid-size sedan/wagon: 5er
Mid-size coupe: 6er
Full-size sedan: 7er
Full-size wagon/coupe: N/A
Compact SUV: X3
Mid-size SUV: X5
Full-size SUV: N/A
Small Pick-up: N/A
Large Pick-up: N/A
People hauler: X5 (available 3rd row)
Proper 4x4: N/A, but I'm pretty sure the X5 could handle anything that I'd need to throw at it.
Supercar: N/A, or you could count the M1 (personally I don't).

So out of those, BMW doesn't have full-sized wagons (I can't think of a single company that does offer one) and coupes (Rolls and Bentley make them... who else?), small and full-size pick-up trucks, a proper 4x4, a subcompact sedan (There are a few out there now, Yaris, Versa, Aveo, Kizashi, but it's unnecessary when you have a hatch that would be more practical than it's sedan equivalent.) or a supercar.

Out of those categories, I could personally only ever imagine myself wanting a mid or full-size pick-up truck (i.e. an older full-size truck before they got gigantic on me, or a truck sized like the current Dakota), a proper 4x4, and a supercar, but as far as I'm concerned, those are the three least important categories, and no matter which marque you choose, you're going to have to make some sacrifices. For me, it seems like the fewest number of sacrifices would have to be made with BMW.

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 01, 2010, 10:09:43 AM
Well, I'm not going to directly argue with because you're right on all counts except for one (X5 has a 3rd row), but rather I'm going to share more of my thought process behind what I'm thinking and, for the purposes of this post, I'm assuming that mizzaz is thinking (since he's who said "almost every conceivable segemnt," not me).
You're right about the X5.  I actually didn't know that it came with a 3rd row, even though that 3rd row is the smallest third row I've ever seen, it's still a 3rd row.

QuoteSo when I chose BMW, I was thinking of every conceivable segment that I could imagine myself wanting/needing given the stipulation that money is no object. To knock the "no non-luxury" argument out off the bat - why would you need non-luxury cars if you can get luxury cars at no cost to you? Not to mention that a lot of the decontented European models aren't exactly the pinnacle of luxury.
Those are European models that are not available here.

QuoteThese are the segments that I had in mind (and some of which I added to fit your categories better) for this thread, and the BMWs that fit the bill.  

Subcompact hatch/coupe: 1er
Subcompact sedan: N/A
Compact sedan/wagon/coupe: 3er
Mid-size sedan/wagon: 5er
Mid-size coupe: 6er
Full-size sedan: 7er
Full-size wagon/coupe: N/A
Compact SUV: X3
Mid-size SUV: X5
Full-size SUV: N/A
Small Pick-up: N/A
Large Pick-up: N/A
People hauler: X5 (available 3rd row)
Proper 4x4: N/A, but I'm pretty sure the X5 could handle anything that I'd need to throw at it.
Supercar: N/A, or you could count the M1 (personally I don't).

So out of those, BMW doesn't have full-sized wagons (I can't think of a single company that does offer one)
Dodge Magnum

Quoteand coupes (Rolls and Bentley make them... who else?), small and full-size pick-up trucks, a proper 4x4, a subcompact sedan (There are a few out there now, Yaris, Versa, Aveo, Kizashi, but it's unnecessary when you have a hatch that would be more practical than it's sedan equivalent.  or a supercar.

Out of those categories, I could personally only ever imagine myself wanting a mid or full-size pick-up truck (i.e. an older full-size truck before they got gigantic on me, or a truck sized like the current Dakota), a proper 4x4, and a supercar, but as far as I'm concerned, those are the three least important categories, and no matter which marque you choose, you're going to have to make some sacrifices. For me, it seems like the fewest number of sacrifices would have to be made with BMW.
I have no problem with someone picking BMW.  It was the "almost every conceivable segment" that I was arguing.  BMW is far from having a full compliment of vehicles.  Not like Ford, GM, or Chrysler.  Hell, even M-B has a more complete lineup.

MrH

But BMW makes cars I actually want to own.  Chrysler and GM don't.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on February 01, 2010, 10:50:33 AM
But BMW makes cars I actually want to own.  Chrysler and GM don't.
That's not the point. :banghead:  It was the statement that BMW makes cars in almost every conceivable segment. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on February 01, 2010, 10:24:51 AM
Those are European models that are not available here.

One of the stipulations for the poll was that you could choose "cars made at any time by that maker," so I kind of took that to mean cars made any time and anywhere.

Dodge Magnum

Good call, I forgot about those. I guess they aren't for sale anymore since they're not on the website, but again you can choose cars from any time period and they're recent enough.

I have no problem with someone picking BMW.  It was the "almost every conceivable segment" that I was arguing.  BMW is far from having a full compliment of vehicles.  Not like Ford, GM, or Chrysler.  Hell, even M-B has a more complete lineup.

Fair enough and true enough. At the same time though, while Ford or GM (or Honda, or Toyota, or....) fills more market segments, they just (generally) aren't as satisfying to drive, which, IMO, is just as important in having a full compliment of vehicles as variety.

93JC

Quote from: ChrisV on January 31, 2010, 10:42:27 AM
You first, sweetie.

You know I was going to try and explain my comment further, but there's really no point in explaining anything to you.

Do you realize how big a pompous asshole you are, or do you just not care?

ChrisV

Quote from: MrH on February 01, 2010, 10:50:33 AM
But BMW makes cars I actually want to own.  Chrysler and GM don't.

QuoteHowever, that includes cars made at any time by that maker

So there's never ever been a Chrysler or GM car ever made that appeals to you in some way?

My thought process was, if I'm limited to owning from only one brand, but could choose from ANY timeframe, then I look back and see which brand has the widest variety of vehicles to choose from that could cover ANY conceivable desire I might have from now until I die. And since I like vastly more than just a new sports coupe, the the possibility of having a garage with not just road race cars, but cruisers, street rods, trucks, family cars, economy cars, etc stands more of a chance of happening when an entire history of a manufacture is considered. Ford and GM head that list. Even if I'd never actually have all of them, the fact that they could fit the bill if my tastes or mood changes puts them at the top.

Quote from: 93JC on February 01, 2010, 10:54:43 AM
You know I was going to try and explain my comment further, but there's really no point in explaining anything to you.

Do you realize how big a pompous asshole you are, or do you just not care?

You made a stupid comment, I responded to it. Then you made another stupid comment, and I responded to that. Do you realize how petty and ignorant you are, or do you just not care?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on February 01, 2010, 10:53:36 AM
That's not the point. :banghead:  It was the statement that BMW makes cars in almost every conceivable segment. 

I figured it was implied that it was every conceivable segment that he'd want to own.  Sure, BMW doesn't make a Yaris competitor, but come on, who cares?

I get what you're saying, I'm just saying that I thought it was implied he was only talking about segments he'd ever want to own.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on January 31, 2010, 11:40:38 PM
I think it looks great.  Much better in darker colors.  It's definitely really wide and low in person.

Surprise, surprise, but I like it too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: ChrisV on February 01, 2010, 11:19:29 AM
So there's never ever been a Chrysler or GM car ever made that appeals to you in some way?

My thought process was, if I'm limited to owning from only one brand, but could choose from ANY timeframe, then I look back and see which brand has the widest variety of vehicles to choose from that could cover ANY conceivable desire I might have from now until I die. And since I like vastly more than just a new sports coupe, the the possibility of having a garage with not just road race cars, but cruisers, street rods, trucks, family cars, economy cars, etc stands more of a chance of happening when an entire history of a manufacture is considered. Ford and GM head that list. Even if I'd never actually have all of them, the fact that they could fit the bill if my tastes or mood changes puts them at the top.

You made a stupid comment, I responded to it. Then you made another stupid comment, and I responded to that. Do you realize how petty and ignorant you are, or do you just not care?

Of course there are some, but bare in mind, I'm much younger than you.  I don't have the emotional attachment to a lot of older cars like you do.  And frankly, newer cars drive better for the most part.  If you choose Chrysler, what are you going to daily drive?  A sebring?  Ew.

I'd never be able to justify having more than a handful of vehicles anyways. 
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on February 01, 2010, 11:25:58 AM
Of course there are some, but bare in mind, I'm much younger than you.  I don't have the emotional attachment to a lot of older cars like you do.  And frankly, newer cars drive better for the most part. 
Actually, the worst driving car on the market today is better then most from just 15 years ago.

Byteme

I guess I'd say Ford.  I'd be quite happy with something Ford made in just about any category in any era.

CJ

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

BMW is already in too many segments.  We don't need the 1 Series Convertible, X6, 5 Series GT, forthcoming 3 Series GT, and X1/X3 (delete one).

Ironic that BMW is seen as 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' yet they don't sell a real sports car any more.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 01, 2010, 01:12:52 PM
BMW is already in too many segments.  We don't need the 1 Series Convertible, X6, 5 Series GT, forthcoming 3 Series GT, and X1/X3 (delete one).

Ironic that BMW is seen as 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' yet they don't sell a real sports car any more.

What do you call this?

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on February 01, 2010, 11:25:58 AM
Of course there are some, but bare in mind, I'm much younger than you.  I don't have the emotional attachment to a lot of older cars like you do.  And frankly, newer cars drive better for the most part.  If you choose Chrysler, what are you going to daily drive?  A sebring?  Ew.

+1. My first thought when I started thinking about this was "which brand would I be happiest driving every day." The first two immediate thoughts to that were Porsche and BMW. From their I thought about the variety of awesome historical cars that they've produced over the years. Porsche has a ton of incredible cars over the years, but BMW has a lot. Finally, you look at the variety of cars are made and BMW wins out.

As cool as I find old street rods and classic Mustangs, etc, they just aren't cars that I like enough to sacrifice having awesome DDs that I could find at other companies. Personally, I'd rather own BMWs than Fords, from most eras of cars.

BimmerM3

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 01, 2010, 01:12:52 PM

BMW has always been more about fun to drive, but practical cars more than real sports cars. Think about their most iconic cars over the years have been the 2002 Turbo, E30 M3, E39 M5, 850CSi, E24 6ers, etc.

Besides, when you consider that most of anyone's driving is to get from one place to another, would you really consider a car like an Elise or an F430 to be the Ultimate Driving Machine? Sure they can get around a track pretty quick, but they have some drawbacks when commuting to work in the morning.

S204STi

I'd say after reading some of the responses here that my mind is finally made up.  If I could have a cross section of all the cars made by Ford over all the different continents, not even all the different eras, I could have a pretty sweet garage.  Euro Ranger diesel for lugging stuff around, snow days, and offroading; Focus RS for everything else.  One of the fastest point-to-point cars on the planet, good looking, and extremely cool.