My Review: 2010 Camaro SS

Started by SVT666, January 31, 2010, 02:15:58 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 31, 2010, 07:52:15 PM
I think Accords are too large.
Actually I do too. My car could lose about 3" between the nose and tail.

Is the back seat very roomy? I just don't understand what all the extra metal is for. It's as long as (and as heavy as) an E39 5 series.

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 01, 2010, 07:10:46 AM

Is the back seat very roomy? I just don't understand what all the extra metal is for. It's as long as (and as heavy as) an E39 5 series.

:wtf: 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

You're a funny guy sporty.

2o6

Crash protection. Crumple space. So when you tap a pole at 2MPH it doesn't leave a nasty dent and cost $3000 to fix.

ifcar

You know, Honda makes this car called the Civic...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2010, 02:01:17 PM
Crash protection. Crumple space. So when you tap a pole at 2MPH it doesn't leave a nasty dent and cost $3000 to fix.

New bumpers are even more expensive to replace thanks to all the systems inside them. And with cars like the V8 M3 with roughly the same interior space and equally large engines/drivetrains but much smaller footprints + curb weights I just wonder what all the extra metal is for.

SVT32V

Quote from: ifcar on February 01, 2010, 02:16:17 PM
You know, Honda makes this car called the Civic...

Is a new civic 4dr actually smaller and/or lighter than sporty's accord?

2o6

Quote from: SVT32V on February 01, 2010, 04:11:21 PM

Then buy a fit.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT32V on February 01, 2010, 04:11:21 PM
It's actually much smaller outside, but the same size in the cabin and trunk. Just as fast with the R18 and pretty quick with the K20. Only downside is the awful dash. I actually really like the new Civic.

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 01, 2010, 04:17:11 PM
It's actually much smaller outside, but the same size in the cabin and trunk. Just as fast with the R18 and pretty quick with the K20. Only downside is the awful dash. I actually really like the new Civic.

95 4dr accord Length (185.6 in), width (70.1 in), ht (55.1 in) weight (2855 lbs)
2010 4dr civiv L(177.3),W( 69.0), ht ( 56.5), weight (2760  lbs)

the new civic is quite a bit shorter, but is taller and nearly weighs the same.

The si should be a good bit faster, it is lighter and has more hp.

SVT32V

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2010, 04:12:08 PM

Then buy a fit.

nah, they burn themselves up  :lol:

not as bad as owning a toyota suddenly accelerating on its way moving forward but still.

the Teuton

If the current Civic weren't boring as hell (sans the Si), it would be a buy. It's a very good "small" car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on February 01, 2010, 07:28:46 PM
If the current Civic weren't boring EXPENSIVEas hell (sans the Si), it would be a buy. It's a very good "small" car.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

As much as I like the Civic's design, the duel a-piller seems a bit dumb. You get no more space, the dash top is really long, and the hood is small. Over half the engine is inaccessible.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2010, 07:36:12 PM
As much as I like the Civic's design, the duel a-piller seems a bit dumb. You get no more space, the dash top is really long, and the hood is small. Over half the engine is inaccessible.

The car has excellent visibility, the gauges are incredibly easy to read, and most owners will never do anything more than change the oil or replace washer fluid anyway. What's your point?

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 01, 2010, 07:39:40 PM
The car has excellent visibility, the gauges are incredibly easy to read, and most owners will never do anything more than change the oil or replace washer fluid anyway. What's your point?

It looks hard to work on.

I'm not saying that everything be simple to use and easy to work on, but geesh.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2010, 07:41:09 PM

Yeah, the next Elantra will probably be a better car than this Civic. Honda's lineup is a little whack right now.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2010, 07:41:09 PM

Actually it's a pretty good design to work on. Better than my car actually.

Honda's change to putting the intake manifold in front was smart as hell. If I need to make idle set adjustments or anything I have to lean over the whole engine bay to get to it. Now Honda has everything intake manifold related right up front, and they can push the cabin/firewall a little further forward without making the car longer (hence the minivan nose and double A pillar). Given these constraints I think they came up with a pretty good design; however, I still think that digital speedo has to go. I read somewhere and agree with this: with analog gauges, once you have a feel for the scale of the gauge you don't need to stop and read it to see how fast you're going. With the numbers you always have to read it. Not a huge distraction but definitely an unnecessary one.

*EDIT* I was wrong about the Civic... all its competitors have similar lengths, smaller wheelbases and much larger cabins. Plus they are generally cheaper. Honda may want to go back to the drawing board with this one.

:facepalm: @ Toyota still using a FOUR SPEED AUTO in the Corolla. If they will buy crap keep making it

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 01, 2010, 09:01:44 PM

Honda's change to putting the intake manifold in front was smart as hell. If I need to make idle set adjustments or anything I have to lean over the whole engine bay to get to it. Now Honda has everything intake manifold related right up front, and they can push the cabin/firewall a little further forward without making the car longer (hence the minivan nose and double A pillar). Given these constraints I think they came up with a pretty good design; however, I still think that digital speedo has to go. I read somewhere and agree with this: with analog gauges, once you have a feel for the scale of the gauge you don't need to stop and read it to see how fast you're going. With the numbers you always have to read it. Not a huge distraction but definitely an unnecessary one.

*EDIT* I was wrong about the Civic... all its competitors have similar lengths, smaller wheelbases and much larger cabins. Plus they are generally cheaper. Honda may want to go back to the drawing board with this one.

:facepalm: @ Toyota still using a FOUR SPEED AUTO in the Corolla. If they will buy crap keep making it

To be fair, the Civic is one of the oldest cars in it's class.

And personally, I prefer digital speedos.

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 01, 2010, 09:01:44 PM

The Civic feels larger inside than all but the Elantra. With the floor being flat, it's no contest.

SVT666

How did this thread turn into a conversation about the Civic?

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT666 on February 01, 2010, 09:24:04 PM

That's what I was thinking.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on February 01, 2010, 09:24:04 PM

The Civic is a better car than the Camaro.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on February 01, 2010, 10:25:01 PM
The Civic is a better car than the Camaro.
The Civic is a better appliance than the Camaro.  The Camaro has so much power that I can overlook some of the problems with it.  I can't overlook the sightlines though....no pun intended.  That much power with those horrid sightlines = disaster.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on February 01, 2010, 11:16:51 PM
The Civic is a better appliance than the Camaro.  The Camaro has so much power that I can overlook some of the problems with it.  I can't overlook the sightlines though....no pun intended.  That much power with those horrid sightlines = disaster.

If you can't use a car, what good is the car?

Give me a 430 hp GTO, and then we'll talk. The only things that car had going against it were a 1990s design and bland styling.

Rich

Quote from: the Teuton on February 01, 2010, 07:39:40 PM
The car has excellent visibility,

lol whatever.  The A pillars are so angled that you could lose a car behind it.  It's angled just like the old F-bodys and no one ever said they had good visibility

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on February 01, 2010, 09:20:13 PM
The Civic feels larger inside than all but the Elantra.

And the Forte, Sentra, and Versa.

2o6