The Suzuki SX4 thread

Started by ifcar, February 01, 2010, 02:57:49 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 04, 2010, 10:53:42 PM
...but imagine if we made them settle it on a soccer field with a Suzuki SX4 and Scion XD instead of guns...

A big red Escalade named Suge Knight would probably still have both of them shot down in spite...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Laconian on February 02, 2010, 11:17:35 PM
Handling. TTAC had extremely good things to say about the handling of the SX4, I want to see if you can corroborate that with your experiences.

My parents just bought an SX4 AWD last month - they also said it handled really well. I haven't driven it yet, though.

2o6

Top Gear needs to have round three.

Aygo vs...iQ?

Aygo vs....Ka?

Aygo vs....New Spark?

Aygo vs....500?

Aygo vs.....Twingo?

Aygo vs.....i10?

Jon?

Quote from: ifcar on February 01, 2010, 06:57:02 PM
Small and hard to reach... I'll be sure to play with it more later.

TWSS

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

ifcar

This just in: Snow + SX4 - AWD = bring a shovel.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 07:47:19 AM

That's with any car.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on February 06, 2010, 08:15:03 AM

That's with any car.

No, you can't subtract AWD from most cars.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 08:18:07 AM

I meant getting stuck.

Ifcar, is the SX4's AWD system a "true" 50/50 split system? Or is it a reactive, front-biased, rear-wheels-only-kick-in-when-front-ones-have-no-traction sort of deal?

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on February 06, 2010, 08:23:47 AM

I meant getting stuck.

Ifcar, is the SX4's AWD system a "true" 50/50 split system? Or is it a reactive, front-biased, rear-wheels-only-kick-in-when-front-ones-have-no-traction sort of deal?

It can be locked in at low speeds.

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 07:47:19 AM

Snow + any car + driving like a donkey = bring a shovel :tounge:

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 08:18:07 AM

Shouldda got the AWD model...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 09:44:55 AM
Shouldda got the AWD model...

They don't have more than one SX4 in the DC press fleet. And ordinarily, this is the model I would have preferred anyway.

But nothing is getting around at this point. They're plowing with construction equipment and still not keeping the roads clear. Even the AWD's extra inch of ground clearance wouldn't get it through two and a half feet.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 11:01:18 AM
They don't have more than one SX4 in the DC press fleet. And ordinarily, this is the model I would have preferred anyway.

But nothing is getting around at this point. They're plowing with construction equipment and still not keeping the roads clear. Even the AWD's extra inch of ground clearance wouldn't get it through two and a half feet.

Good point. A rally-bred monster would make life more fun, though. :lol:

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 11:01:18 AM

Most vehicles will not get through that, but sounds like a great opportunity for a article on the interior/cargo details of the SX4 since the refresh!
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 06, 2010, 12:38:36 PM
Most vehicles will not get through that, but sounds like a great opportunity for a article on the interior/cargo details of the SX4 since the refresh!

I do hope to get to that. I'll first need to wait for the snow to stop, identify which snow mound contains the Suzuki, and then dig it out with a borrowed shovel. Sometime tomorrow.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on February 06, 2010, 02:48:54 PM
I do hope to get to that. I'll first need to wait for the snow to stop, identify which snow mound contains the Suzuki, and then dig it out with a borrowed shovel. Sometime tomorrow.

Raza has a shovel.

the Teuton

BTW, not all AWD systems are created equal. Some douche in an X-Type tried to get out from a snow drift today. His rear wheels spun, but he didn't go anywhere. Actually, his rear driver's wheel spun, but I'm not sure about any of the others.

S204STi

I kinda want to take my Level 41 Outback out in a storm like this with tire chains equipped for +50 Traction, -20 Accuracy and Range, and see what happens.

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 03:13:48 PM
BTW, not all AWD systems are created equal. Some douche in an X-Type tried to get out from a snow drift today. His rear wheels spun, but he didn't go anywhere. Actually, his rear driver's wheel spun, but I'm not sure about any of the others.

With an open front diff often just one front tire will spin.  That's how it goes with my WRX.

Anyway, quick little story: in this picture I was actually high-centered on this snow drift.  At one point I stepped out of the car with the transmission in reverse gear, and three tires just slowly spinning around at idle speed.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 03:14:40 PM
I kinda want to take my Level 41 Outback out in a storm like this with tire chains equipped for +50 Traction, -20 Accuracy and Range, and see what happens.

lul, hope you have +50 stamina as well

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 03:15:17 PM
With an open front diff often just one front tire will spin.  That's how it goes with my WRX.

nub  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Yeah, I need one of these: http://www.rallispec.com/prod_diff.htm (Scroll down to "Subaru Helical Front LSD, 5mt").

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 03:15:17 PM
With an open front diff often just one front tire will spin.  That's how it goes with my WRX.

Anyway, quick little story: in this picture I was actually high-centered on this snow drift.  At one point I stepped out of the car with the transmission in reverse gear, and three tires just slowly spinning around at idle speed.

I'm not sure if you'd know how the AWD would work in the auto models, but it almost seemed like you could lock them to all work at the same time. I dunno how it works exactly, especially since that car had open diffs all around.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 03:19:13 PM
Yeah, I need one of these: http://www.rallispec.com/prod_diff.htm (Scroll down to "Subaru Helical Front LSD, 5mt").

Install kit includes stub axle set making it a direct swap for all early Subaru 5MT gearboxes.

GET IT NAWO

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 03:20:34 PM
I'm not sure if you'd know how the AWD would work in the auto models, but it almost seemed like you could lock them to all work at the same time. I dunno how it works exactly, especially since that car had open diffs all around.

I thought your old one was just a locking center differential, so it would be like a regular 4x4.

S204STi

Basically with an open diff energy will take the path of least resistance, so whichever wheel has the least traction will eventually get all the torque.  So even with the transfer unit/center diff/whatever you want to call it locked in 50/50 that just means that each axle set gets 50% of available torque.  How it uses that torque is up to the differential to sort out.  Or, if your car has traction control it can shunt torque side to side in a primitive way by clamping the brakes on the wheels that spin, which directs torque to the other side.  I much prefer a more elegant system such as the Honda SH-AWD or the Mitsubishi S-AYC.  I'm still not sure how those work.  Stay tuned for an epic post from 565 complete with pictures and stuff. :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 03:22:32 PM
I thought your old one was just a locking center differential, so it would be like a regular 4x4.

That must be it. It had a permanent 50-50 split in 2nd and 3rd gears, but apparently there's a way to override that in the computer system somehow.

S204STi

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 03:21:28 PM
Install kit includes stub axle set making it a direct swap for all early Subaru 5MT gearboxes.

GET IT NAWO

Yeah, I know.  Just as soon as I save up for an RA gearset so I can do it all at once, mmkay?

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 03:25:21 PM
Yeah, I know.  Just as soon as I save up for an RA gearset so I can do it all at once, mmkay?

You're going to Record Attempt your WRX? :wub:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 03:24:19 PM
Basically with an open diff energy will take the path of least resistance, so whichever wheel has the least traction will eventually get all the torque rotational motion, and the torque required to spin that wheel is all that will be applied to the other wheel, which usually is not enough to move the vehicle much, if at all.  So even with the transfer unit/center diff/whatever you want to call it locked in 50/50 that just means that each axle set gets 50% of available torque.  How it uses that torque is up to the differential to sort out.  Or, if your car has traction control it can shunt torque side to side increase torque to the motionless wheel in a primitive way by clamping the brakes on the wheels that spin, which directs torque increases the torque on the spinning wheel, and thus torque to the other side because open differentials always split applied torque 50/50.  I much prefer a more elegant system such as the Honda SH-AWD or the Mitsubishi S-AYC.  I'm still not sure how those work.  Stay tuned for an epic post from 565 complete with pictures and stuff. :lol:

Sorry I'm a jackass