The "Your First Car" Thread

Started by the Teuton, February 05, 2010, 08:58:55 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 12:50:04 PM
You win "Coolest First Car", I reckon.

I have 110 hp of flat four fury that fervently disagrees with you.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ChrisV

Some cool cars in the thread!

My first car was a 1962 Mercury Comet that I got from my grandfather. Did some customizing on it (installing a '60 Falcon nose), but since an old Comet wasn't considered "cool" in high school I traded it off for a '71 Torino GT that I painted and built a 429 for. At the same time, I got a Pinto and went racing in it.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

CJ

Here's my car when I got it:

Here it is a few weeks later:

I started doing visual mods.

Then I backed into a Grand Cherokee...

New taillights!

New wheels!!

New grille, and how it sits today!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

-1999 Honda Accord LX Coupe 5-speed.
-Got in early January 2004
-We paid slightly over $10k for it. I paid $3000 that I had saved up and my dad lent me $2000 that I paid off over the next year and a half or so. My dad covered the other $5000.
-Still have it. I put H&R sport springs on it in 2006 and put KYB AGX shocks on it last month. It now handles much better than your average Accord. It had about 53k miles on it when I got it and now it has 118k.

A couple weeks after we bought it, when it still had the wheel gap of a monster truck.

Right after I lowered it.

Just a picture I took while driving home from Huntsville, AL one day. I took this route every week and as it got later in fall, I could tell that one one week, I'd be driving by here right at sunset. I told myself I'd stop and take pictures when that time came, so I did.

I'm actually not terribly attached to it, and have considered selling it a few times, but haven't yet. I'll probably keep it until I graduate and have some time to save up for a new car.

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Xer0

My first car was a 1995 Civic Ex that my dad handed down to me in 2005 when he bought himself a new Accord.  I traded it in a year and a half ago for a 2008 Civic (same color too, which looking back was kind of a stupid decision, lol).  I miss it, it just felt so much more lively then the new Civic and it was so much easier to see out of.  Although by the end of its time with me it had a terrible alianment problem, and insane dead zone at the center of the wheel, and would average about 20mpg for whatever reason; the car was obviously on its last legs.  The engine still ran like a champ, not so much on everything else.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 06, 2010, 10:04:30 AM
1976 Datsun (Nissan) 280Z 2+2
$1100
Owned since 2003

Car looks damn good with the non-US bumpers. I nominate this as coolest first car as well.

hotrodalex

I think ChrisV's is the coolest.

My first was my Camaro.

the Teuton

We had a '76 and '78. Our '76 was a blue Z/28, and my dad and I nicknamed that car El Kabong after the cartoon character.

I remember when I was waiting for my dad to pick me up from kindergarten. I couldn't find him (because I'd never seen the car before). He then honked quite possibly the loudest air horn I'd ever heard -- because that car had a fuckin' loud horn -- and I caught up with him. That car was awesome, wool-covered seats and all.

Eye of the Tiger

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 02:04:42 PM
ya wuts up with dat  :heated:

Nothing, due to these reasons: 1) I'm lazy, 2) I'm poor and 3) I don't have a good place to work on it.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 06, 2010, 06:00:32 PM
Nothing, due to these reasons: 1) I'm lazy, 2) I'm poor and 3) I don't have a good place to work on it.

If I had the money, I'd so buy that car off you, supposing I couldn't find a decent 2002 at a good price.

2o6

24 Hours of Lemons.

Eye of the Tiger

Hey, those are all the reasons I have!

Byteme

My first car was a 1963 Chevrolet Belaire 4 door sedan.  230 cuin engine 3 on the tree.

My 17th birthday present, cast about $900

I learned the basic about cars from that car.

This is the best picture I have of it. 

Byteme

I also found a picture of my second car, a 1966 Dodge Charger.  It cst about 1900 in 1968, IIRC.  I'd like to have it today

TBR

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 06, 2010, 07:24:01 PM
My first car was a 1963 Chevrolet Belaire 4 door sedan.  230 cuin engine 3 on the tree.

My 17th birthday present, cast about $900

I learned the basic about cars from that car.

This is the best picture I have of it. 

What exactly were you taking a picture of there? That lovely bush?

omicron

Quote from: Laconian on February 06, 2010, 12:16:24 PM
Maybe if you see them as pieces of rolling sculpture. Taken as cars, they fail miserably.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/curbside-classic-1978-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-classic-coupe/

Read the article and the many anecdotes in the "comments" section. These land yachts were terrible from day 1.

Stop introducing empirical evidence to the thread! No good can come of this. :nono:

Byteme

Quote from: TBR on February 06, 2010, 09:54:44 PM
What exactly were you taking a picture of there? That lovely bush?

Ha, Ha.  No, that's cropped from a larger photo.  I was taking pictures for the advertisements in the bck of our high school year book.  I parked the car there and took the picture of the restaurant.  That also explains the crappy quality.  It's an enlarged scan of of a black and white Polaroid shot printed in a 43 year old yearbook.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on February 05, 2010, 08:58:55 PM
Okay, here's the game:

-What was your first car?
-How much did you pay for it/how did you receive it?
-How long did you have it?
-Would you want it back if you could get it back?
-Etc.

My first daily driver was the 1996 Caravan, which went from my father's daily driver to our spare car when be bought a Focus as a commuter car in 2005. It was written off in November 2006 after a minor rear-ending and the other driver's insurance provided nearly 3x its approximate value -- perhaps the best thing that could have happened to it. In the week or so before the accident, it was acting like it wanted another cash infusion anyway.

The first car that's mine -- though still paid for by my parents -- is my current 2001 Focus, which was $3,200 from a used car lot.

Northlands

Quote from: SVT666 on February 06, 2010, 12:39:37 AM
1978 Chrysler Cordoba

- Got it for free from my parents when I turned 16.

- I had it one year because at the end of one year it failed 47 of the 49 points in the safety inspection.  :lol:

- No, I don't ever want to see it again.

It was just like this one:

But, I would love to have another one if it was like this:

My friend had one of these in high school. Same year. We called it the " Blue Whale ". I think it was the biggest car parked at school. We did a lot of stupid things with that car, and it had the baldest tires this side of a NASCAR track. 

The funny thing is, if we had been in high school circa 2006 and onward, driving that car in good shape would have got us a lot of attention. Unfortunately, back in the day, it was just considered a massive old beast.

1st car - 1985 Honda Civic Hatch ( w/ hondamatic transmission! )
- Paid $3200 ( in 1994 )
-Drove the little bastard for 8 years. Rust did it in. Engine was still firing, albeit on three cylinders, but it still wanted to go.
- If I can find one, I want to restore one of these things. The car was huge fun for what it was.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

JWC

Only photo I can find, so far, of my first car.

FoMoJo

Quote from: JWC on February 07, 2010, 11:12:51 AM
Only photo I can find, so far, of my first car.

That's pretty nice.  I really liked  the '69 & '70 styling.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ChrisV

Quote from: omicron on February 07, 2010, 07:07:21 AM
Stop introducing empirical evidence to the thread! No good can come of this. :nono:

yeah, Omi, i don't think that particular article is proof of anything other than that a beat up, ratty, old, mistreated, smogger Caddy that's missing a bunch of parts is a rolling pile. It's not really representative of anything factual other than that. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...