When's the last time you honked your horn at someone?

Started by 93JC, February 06, 2010, 11:06:58 AM

Laconian

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 06, 2010, 06:37:21 PM
Just this morning in fact.  Some clod in a honda was apparently taking a snooze when the light turned green.  As I usually do I counted to three and then tapped the horn to wake them up and get them moving.
Ah yes. Even worse is when you look at the rear view mirror and notice you are seeing reflections of their eyelids more often than the eyes themselves - people taking every fucking spare moment to fuck with their cellphone instead of concentrating on the task at hand. 90% of the attention is spent on the phone, with occasional glances up to the road to make sure the car isn't in imminent obvious danger. HONKKKKKKKKKKKK
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

VTEC_Inside

I use mine fairly regularly as I seem to encounter no shortage of people that don't know wtf they are doing.

Last time was Friday on the way home.

At first I thought the guy in front of me didn't notice the green light so I gave a little tap, then he stopped in the middle of the left turn, then I laid on it.

We were both in the left of two dedicated left turn lanes. This left turn is EXTREMELY wide as a lot of trucks use it. Best I could figure he was trying to give the truck to our right room or something. I had enough room to pass him on the left, and keep going....  :mask:
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

FoMoJo

So, just the other morning my wife and I were driving up through town to the fitness centre and this silly woman was backing out of her driveway.  I half sensed she wasn't going to stop and I could've slowed down, but it really irks me that people do stupid things while driving and others have to defend against them.  If I had slowed down, she likely wouldn't even had known how stupid she was being.  Anyways, I wanted to teach her a lesson so I kept going and, as I got almost to the driveway, I blasted the horn.  The stupid bitch didn't even slow down and I had to swerve almost off the road to avoid hitting her; I'm still not sure if she even saw me. 

In the meantime, my wife almost went nuts and was saying things I haven't heard a woman say in a long time that she would do to this woman.  When I got up to the stop sign, just to reinforce how displeased I was with this woman almost crashing into me, I stopped for an extended period of time and stared back at her through my mirrors; she really didn't even seem to notice.  However, my wife was still so agitated I thought I'd better start moving again in case she jumped out the door, hauled the woman out of her car and beat the shit out of her.  In the end it made me laugh.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Northlands

Yesterday. At a cell phone texter at a green light.

I probably use my horn several times a week. Mostly for people who stop in merging lanes on freeways.  :facepalm:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

VTEC_Inside

My gf honked at some other bitch just yesterday too. We were driving along about to go through an intersection on a green (not even remotely yellow) and this bitch turns right off the side road directly in front of us...

After about a couple seconds of horn and heavy braking, my gf finally made the lane change to the left to go around her. This bitch was flipping us off like we had done something.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 07, 2010, 10:39:50 AM
So, just the other morning my wife and I were driving up through town to the fitness centre and this silly woman was backing out of her driveway.  I half sensed she wasn't going to stop and I could've slowed down, but it really irks me that people do stupid things while driving and others have to defend against them.  If I had slowed down, she likely wouldn't even had known how stupid she was being.  Anyways, I wanted to teach her a lesson so I kept going and, as I got almost to the driveway, I blasted the horn.  The stupid bitch didn't even slow down and I had to swerve almost off the road to avoid hitting her; I'm still not sure if she even saw me. 

I can relate to this so much its not even funny.

One of the things I have to keep reminding myself though is that as much as you try, in 98% of the cases, the moron will never know what they were doing wrong, never notice your attempt to signal them, and never change.

They aren't doing it explicitly to piss you off, they are just stupid.

Again, I keep telling myself that... It barely works, but I try...

CALL_911

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 04:24:14 PM
Honda has to make the most ear-shattering, face-melting horn in existence.  They aren't as loud as a Union Pacific the the particular pitch pierces mind and soul.

YES.

Our TL's old horn was, by far, the loudest horn I've ever heard. Hell, the TSX's is almost as loud.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Our Accord has a mediocre horn :huh: Maybe they're saving the good stuff for Acura.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Northlands

Quote from: Laconian on February 07, 2010, 12:45:21 PM
Our Accord has a mediocre horn :huh: Maybe they're saving the good stuff for Acura.

Hop in a civic and blast one of those horns. They hurt my ears.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

chevyguy06

Yesterday. Some bitch in a Silverado pulled directly out in front of me while on her cell phone.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

93JC

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 06, 2010, 12:45:11 PM
Those things are very long and it would be easy to miss a car next to you IF you don't know how to use mirrors properly.
Those vans have GREAT sideview mirrors!!

:orly:

I just saw a Sienna almost take out a Tercel. Fortunately the Tercel's horn was operational and the driver was well versed in how to operate it.

The Phantom

Quote from: Northlands on February 07, 2010, 01:11:03 PM
Hop in a civic and blast one of those horns. They hurt my ears.

They just sound funny!  I'm glad the Altima is built over here and has a non-Japanese horn.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

The Phantom

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 07, 2010, 12:15:10 PM
My gf honked at some other bitch just yesterday too. We were driving along about to go through an intersection on a green (not even remotely yellow) and this bitch turns right off the side road directly in front of us...

After about a couple seconds of horn and heavy braking, my gf finally made the lane change to the left to go around her. This bitch was flipping us off like we had done something.

I love when the party "in the wrong" thinks he's right and the other is wrong.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Secret Chimp

I usually honk at people sitting at a green light. I get by horn at the ready when parts of the local crazy-ass highway system merge together and people have to cross three lanes to continue where they're going, but so far nobody's tried to merge into me.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

I don't remember. It's very infrequent.

The Z doesn't even have the horns installed (had to make room for the intercooler). :lol:

BimmerM3

I don't even remember the last time I used my horn.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on February 07, 2010, 12:45:21 PM

A pair of hi/lo FIAMM Freeway Blasters is a good Miata upgrade that costs about $25. It has a really loud American Iron sound to it.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 07, 2010, 06:25:50 PM
I don't even remember the last time I used my horn.

I think you accidentally hit it a few times on the Cherohala :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 07, 2010, 07:17:42 PM
I think you accidentally hit it a few times on the Cherohala :P

No, those were just my squeaky tires. :lol:

NomisR

I usually honk at people when they try to change lanes into me without looking.  I lay on it when they continue to do so but when that happens, usually they don't even notice me on the horn.  And when I swirve to avoid them and flick them off when i'm next to them, they're still oblivious to what happened. 

And I've honked on the horn at a few people over the weekend because they were driving like they were drunk, they can't stay in their own lane when driving straight and swirved into me when I was passing them.  I should've called the cops and reported drunk driving but they were just old. 

Raza

Friday.  Some guy was trying to merge (left lane merge) in front of me, when the road was clear for ten lengths behind me.  We were side by side and I was already going 75.  I honked at him to make sure he knew I was there so he didn't plow into my side. 

I honk on average 3 times per week.  It was more before, but now I mostly drive highway, so I just don't need to anymore.  Usually, my honking is to wake up people dozing at lights, sometimes it's for people that look like they're about to jump out in front of me at stopsigns or something (i.e. they have a stop and I do not, but they look like they're going to roll it and try to get in front of me when they don't have enough room) or if they actually do.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: J86 on February 06, 2010, 12:14:32 PM
I used my horn twice yesterday.  Once to honk at a buddy who was driving the other way, and once to honk at some dude wearing Saint's gear dancing all by himself on a street corner. :lol:

I did lots of Saints honking!

I love my horn. Considering the responses in this thread, perhaps I should slow my usage...

GoCougs

I use my horn at least every other day; and it's almost always related to cell phones:

1.) Left lane camper who if texting or blabbing on the phone gets a toot as I shoot by;
2.) Someone lallygagging (texting) as a stoplight turns green.

I am unrepentant in the use of my horn.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Byteme

Had to lay on the horn this morning when a guy in an electrical contractor's company van decided to try to defy the laws of physics and have the van occupy the same physical space as my car (he changed lanes without looking).  When I sounded the horn he whipped back into his lane and for a minute I thought he was going to lay the van on it's side.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 07, 2010, 12:15:10 PM
This bitch was flipping us off like we had done something.

I hate that.

Quote from: Rupert on February 10, 2010, 01:34:23 AM
Who's surprised?

Not it!

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 10, 2010, 06:22:56 AM
Had to lay on the horn this morning when a guy in an electrical contractor's company van decided to try to defy the laws of physics and have the van occupy the same physical space as my car (he changed lanes without looking).  When I sounded the horn he whipped back into his lane and for a minute I thought he was going to lay the van on it's side.

NJ Turnpike a few years ago, chickey (on a cellphone) in small white Toyota just starts moving into my lane as I was passing from the left. I tapped the horn.

She WHIPS the wheel to the right, in my rearview she
1- veered right,
2- over-corrected left across 2 lanes + a breakdown lane and might have tagged the concrete center divider,
3- before coming back right..

Traffic was pretty heavy but it looked like she stopped it all up
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 10, 2010, 06:50:02 AM
I hate that.

Not it!

NJ Turnpike a few years ago, chickey (on a cellphone) in small white Toyota just starts moving into my lane as I was passing from the left. I tapped the horn.

She WHIPS the wheel to the right, in my rearview she
1- veered right,
2- over-corrected left across 2 lanes + a breakdown lane and might have tagged the concrete center divider,
3- before coming back right..

Traffic was pretty heavy but it looked like she stopped it all up

I actually felt for the guy that almost nailed me this morning.  He wasn't on the cell phone, looked like he was paying attention.  He just made a mistake.  We all do from time to time.  You can tell when they make an honest mistake,  They always go about 5 miles an hour slower than they were going before and don't change lanes until there is no one within a hunderd yards.

I pretty much give a quick glance at those I pass and those who pass me on the freeway.  I'd estimate about 40-50% are either on the phone, playing with some electronic device or reading something.

I'd love to have a device that disconnects a nearby cell phone when I push a button.  I'd wear the thing out.  Only trouble is if I did it to someone driving a Toyota their car might take off and rear end the person in front of them.   :lol:  

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 10, 2010, 07:13:03 AM
I'd love to have a device that disconnects a nearby cell phone when I push a button.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-
Wouldn't be that hard, really, just a scanner for frequencies of certain ranges, and a jammer...
Would be totally illegal from an FCC standpoint, but still....   :lol:
Will

NomisR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 10, 2010, 10:46:59 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-
Wouldn't be that hard, really, just a scanner for frequencies of certain ranges, and a jammer...
Would be totally illegal from an FCC standpoint, but still....   :lol:

I have a feeling that this would be significantly worse than for them to continue to talk on their phone because knowing some of these people, they would start looking at their phone and playing with it to see what's wrong rather than paying attention to the road.

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on February 10, 2010, 11:13:07 AM
I have a feeling that this would be significantly worse than for them to continue to talk on their phone because knowing some of these people, they would start looking at their phone and playing with it to see what's wrong rather than paying attention to the road.

Yeah, you are right. maybe a device that would cause their phone to suddenly heat to about 400F might be better.    :evildude:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NomisR on February 10, 2010, 11:13:07 AM

True dat.
Will