Jealousy?

Started by CALL_911, February 07, 2010, 12:55:53 PM

GoCougs

Yeah, this is turning into the ridiculous Audi 5000 "panic" of the '80s x 1000.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on February 08, 2010, 01:04:04 PM
:orly:

My car engine brakes like an SOB.  I can't coast at all.
What car is that?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on February 08, 2010, 01:08:47 PM
How many vehicles has that realistically happened to though.  Less than 0.1% of all Toyotas made?  Most of the complains are most likely not that and a even bigger majority are probably user error.  The only reason that Toyotas has more complaints is because they sell more cars.  That's it.  This is more a media induced panic than a real thing.  Just like H1N1, whatever panic that they'll create tomorrow.
That's the same with any recall; only a very small percentage ever experience the problem.  Toyotas have had recalls just like any other manufacturer.  This one is different because of the way they handled it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 08, 2010, 01:12:35 PM
Yeah, this is turning into the ridiculous Audi 5000 "panic" of the '80s x 1000.
Why, has 60 Minutes done a feature on it yet?

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 08, 2010, 07:52:18 AM
The driving force behind those accomplishments was the incredible sums of cash they made completely watering down their cars. Barring the Prius and their trucks(I know nothing about trucks), is there ANYTHING competitive about ANY Toyota/Lexus made after ~98? The only car I can think of is the 98-03 Lexus GS, and that's only because it had a blend of performance and reliability that was unmatched in its category.

Toyota's been totally sitting on its laurels. Like dude said, without reliability Toyota is dead in the water.

Value.

It's the reason my dad bought an LS460 over an S550, when he could comfortably afford either (and more; he was looking at a Flying Spur originally).  He didn't see the value in the S550. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2010, 01:22:56 PM
Value.

It's the reason my dad bought an LS460 over an S550, when he could comfortably afford either (and more; he was looking at a Flying Spur originally).  He didn't see the value in the S550. 
Maybe at the super far reaches this is key, but in Toyota's bread and butter markets the price differences are negligible. In fact I bet a Camry or Corolla costs more than comparably equipped competitors (+15 points for the alliteration)

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 08, 2010, 06:33:35 PM
Maybe at the super far reaches this is key, but in Toyota's bread and butter markets the price differences are negligible. In fact I bet a Camry or Corolla costs more than comparably equipped competitors (+15 points for the alliteration)

But the Camry and Corolla are smooth, soft, and quiet.

ifcar

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 08, 2010, 06:33:35 PM

The Camry is more expensive than most, while the Corolla is cheaper than most competitors. When I last checked, it was no more than a comparable Elantra.

Tave

Value =! MSRP (although MSRP is a big part of value), and neither does value =! MSRP + standard features (although that gets it a little closer).

(hint, hint: depreciation, possibly build quality, reliability, etc...)
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FoMoJo

93JC

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on February 08, 2010, 07:47:29 PM
Yup.
Then I stand corrected.  I was basing it on my rather limited experience.

93JC

:huh:

Depends on the car. The rental Saturn Aura XE-I4s I drove in Florida had barely any engine braking.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on February 08, 2010, 07:55:51 PM

Depends on the car. The rental Saturn Aura XE-I4s I drove in Florida had barely any engine braking.
Most cars I've driven in the last 10 years, not a great many, have almost no engine braking.  My assumption was that they were doing it for efficiency.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on February 08, 2010, 07:55:51 PM

From what I gather, the GM Ecotecs are generally lazy motors. They don't rev very quickly, nor do they brake.

giant_mtb

Bravvy engine brakes nicely.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on February 08, 2010, 08:36:24 PM
From what I gather, the GM Ecotecs are generally lazy motors. They don't rev very quickly, nor do they brake.
!!? An engine's ability to brake is totally unrelated to how eager it is to rev.

I think it's a case of super tall gear ratios and an AT that doesn't want to give up 4th.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

:hesaid:

It's more to do with the short gearing in my transmission. Even in fifth it's turning around 2100 rpm at 85 km/h (~52 mph?). The fuel economy is terrible. I think it's clearly geared for a smaller, less powerful engine.

The Pirate

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2010, 09:33:07 PM
!!? An engine's ability to brake is totally unrelated to how eager it is to rev.

I think it's a case of super tall gear ratios and an AT that doesn't want to give up 4th.

Compression ratio also has a lot to do with engine braking ability. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

Quote from: 93JC on February 08, 2010, 09:47:53 PM
:hesaid:

It's more to do with the short gearing in my transmission. Even in fifth it's turning around 2100 rpm at 85 km/h (~52 mph?). The fuel economy is terrible. I think it's clearly geared for a smaller, less powerful engine.

Yeah, my car turns right around 3400 rpm at 120 km/h.  Nice to not have to downshift for hills though, and I do enjoy the short gearing on backroads.  But she is a thirsty girl.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

93JC

If I'm on flat land 120 km/h = 2800 rpm.

In the Spirit 120 km/h = ~2000 rpm.

You're right though, it is nice to have that power on tap. Once I'm in fifth there's really no reason to shift down unless I'm going up a VERY steep hill or have slowed to 50ish km/h.

Laconian

Yay, we're all in the Mazda nippy motor club!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

The Road needs very little hydraulic brake action to stop it. Just downshift and it slows down quick. :rockon:

As for my Mazda, it coasts pretty well.