Is there a better all around enthusiast's car than the M3?

Started by sportyaccordy, February 10, 2010, 12:11:41 PM

280Z Turbo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 10, 2010, 06:23:39 PM
Elise.

It doesn't have the speed or practicality of the M3. However, it does have infinite headroom, which is always nice.

A $60,000 BMW is pretty impractical for me. :nutty:

BimmerM3

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 10, 2010, 06:27:47 PM
A $60,000 BMW is pretty impractical for me. :nutty:

Is a $22,000 MX-5 any more practical? You can't afford either right now.

We're talking about all generations of M3 here.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on February 10, 2010, 03:10:16 PM
How does being cheaper make it a better all around enthusiasts' car? 

Oh, it probably doesn't.  But, in the M3's favor, it offers fantastic driving dynamics, a more usable trunk (compared to the 911), seating for 4 adults (again, 911) and still offers enough cachet at the country club, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the 911 is a fantastic car that drives better than the M3, and I'd love to own one.  But it wouldn't be an only car.  As an all arounder, I think that the M3 has a slight edge.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on February 10, 2010, 03:10:16 PM

I would argue that attainability is part of being an all around good car. Certainly not the only or most important factor involved, but it's part of the hypothetical equation.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21282.msg1266227#msg1266227 date=1265839816
And when did an enthusiast's car need to be practical too?

FlatBlackCaddy

I think the M3 is the best all around car, giving you the most of everything with minimal compromise. This is also why i prefer the sedan M3 to the coupes and verts.

The combination of track readyperformance, on street performance, daily driveability, economy, features and overall versatility leaves it second to none.

Onslaught

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 10, 2010, 06:31:31 PM
Is a $22,000 MX-5 any more practical? You can't afford either right now.

We're talking about all generations of M3 here.
Perhaps he's talking about all generations of MX-5's too. You can get a NA for dirt cheap. Way less than any M3.

I'm not sure if there's an answer for this question. The M3 is darn good at doing just about everything. But I'm not sure if I'd call it the best all around enthusiast's car.
It would depend on what you wanted the car to do.

The Pirate

Quote from: Onslaught on February 10, 2010, 07:40:23 PM

There will be some interpretation, but I think the operating term is all around.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 10, 2010, 04:04:04 PM
The STi is pretty good. Mags say it's soft, but only with respect to the EVO. For someone in a snow locked climate I think it's a reliable + cheap alternative to the temperamental S4.

Definitely not "soft" to drive. 

I like the idea of the M3 being top driver's car.  It's what most Japanese performance cars aspire to and are judged against.  It's just a great benchmark car, and while Porsche may have it beat in some areas there's no doubt that every true enthusiast can instantly recognize and appreciate an M3 when spotted on the road.

the Teuton

The STI is probably the best out-of-the-box rally car you can buy. Motor Trend has shown that its traction systems allow it to be much faster on the slick and gravely than the Evo, it weighs almost 500 lbs. less, and it's a beast of a car. That's why I included it. Also, what other company supplied its owners with SCCA memberships with their cars? Mitsubishi certainly didn't.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on February 10, 2010, 08:36:56 PM
The STI is probably the best out-of-the-box rally car you can buy. Motor Trend has shown that its traction systems allow it to be much faster on the slick and gravely than the Evo, it weighs almost 500 lbs. less, and it's a beast of a car. That's why I included it. Also, what other company supplied its owners with SCCA memberships with their cars? Mitsubishi certainly didn't.

Supplied

didn't

I'm a Subaru fan too, but give credit where its due.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on February 10, 2010, 07:40:23 PM
If you only had one car to commute in, you'd have to be a true masochist to choose something like an Elise.

Obviously if you have something to tool around in, you can get a lot more intense than an M3... point is, it can tool around and still be exciting.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

A true enthusiast doesn't care about trunk space. Miata.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 10, 2010, 09:05:03 PM
If you only had one car to commute in, you'd have to be a true masochist to choose something like an Elise.

Obviously if you have something to tool around in, you can get a lot more intense than an M3... point is, it can tool around and still be exciting.
I don't know. I could do it no problem. Drove a car about the same size for 13 years.

MrH

The E46's are faaaar from reliable.  Especially compared to 996's.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 10, 2010, 04:01:28 PM
I have the 996 Carrera buyer's guide from 911 & Porsche world here.

Among some of the engine issues:

• Cracks in the engine block
  • Failure of intermediate-shaft bearing (can mess up timing & make valves hit pistons)
  • Oil leak from rear main seal

They're not super common problems, but outside of a rare issue with an oil pump bolt, and a generally weak (but cheaply fixable) cooling system the BMW's engines are pretty solid.

And yea, the M3s might have tight back seats, but they have a back seat. The 911 has a shelf... they are 2 seaters. Beyond that I don't know anyone who seriously considers the M3 a competitor to the 911. It was created to compete in Group A Touring Car racing (a class the 911 does not compete in). The following generations had special race versions made to compete with 911s on race tracks, but these were super limited versions that didn't really epitomize or define the range (like the E46 GTR V8).

Calling the M3 a "failure" is a pretty lame attempt at hyperbole. Again, it's more practical and reliable than the 911... it might not be the better sports car, but as an all around car it can do more.

I've sat in the back of a 911, so don't give me that.

And your reading comprehension is terrible.  I said the M3 was a junior 911, not a 911 competitor.  The failure of a 911 competitor that BMW put out is illustrated below:

It's a nice car, sure, but nothing compared to the 911.  Given one, I'd be happy with it, defend to the hilt (and now I'm checking Autotrader prices), but given the choice, the 911 is the one to take every time, unless you want something softer.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on February 10, 2010, 06:35:57 PM
Oh, it probably doesn't.  But, in the M3's favor, it offers fantastic driving dynamics, a more usable trunk (compared to the 911), seating for 4 adults (again, 911) and still offers enough cachet at the country club, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the 911 is a fantastic car that drives better than the M3, and I'd love to own one.  But it wouldn't be an only car.  As an all arounder, I think that the M3 has a slight edge.

Like I said, the M3 is a great junior 911. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'll say C5/C6 Vettes. They're cheaper and faster. And since I don't need a back seat they'd do me just fine as a daily driver. Just my .02!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Jon?

Quote from: 2o6 on February 10, 2010, 03:12:32 PM
I think the STI and EVO come pretty close as strong contenders...

+1.  My STi was a great car, fast and could fit four and had good trunk space.  Living with snow meant AWD made it even more practical.  It's a great car.  I'm sure the EVO would be similar.  I got the STi because after driving both the STi seemed to be a little more polished and easier to live with, although I didn't like the wing.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on February 10, 2010, 07:45:03 PM
. But I'm not sure if I'd call it the best all around enthusiast's car.
It would depend on what you wanted the car to do.

That last question is ALWAYS best answered by a car dedicated to that purpose. the point is a car that is good no matter WHAT you want a car to do at any given time: i.e. it isn't really, really good at one thing, and sucks ass at another. The besst all around car may not be the best at any one thing, but is, well, the best at anything anybody might want to do.

In this regard, a car like the M3, especially in sedan form, is a really good all around car, not just a performance car, but practical, too. And when looking back, an E36 M3 sedan is an affordable, practical all around car that the 911 and Miata can't match, as the M3 can be good for the family man, as well while still being a fabulous performance car.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on February 10, 2010, 11:48:38 PM
I'll say C5/C6 Vettes. They're cheaper and faster. And since I don't need a back seat they'd do me just fine as a daily driver. Just my .02!
If seating isn't a priority I agree.  The Vette might even be a better choice than the M3 as it has a much higher performance limit and nearly equal gas mileage. I would get a Vette over most 2 seaters in its price range used (Boxster, S2000, 350Z) in a heartbeat. Its not the most precise, polished or pretty but it works damn well.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

Quote from: Raza  on February 10, 2010, 11:15:39 PM
I've sat in the back of a 911, so don't give me that.

And your reading comprehension is terrible.  I said the M3 was a junior 911, not a 911 competitor.  The failure of a 911 competitor that BMW put out is illustrated below:

It's a nice car, sure, but nothing compared to the 911.  Given one, I'd be happy with it, defend to the hilt (and now I'm checking Autotrader prices), but given the choice, the 911 is the one to take every time, unless you want something softer.

The 911 is my all-time favorite car, but if you're gonna call that backseat useable for something other than kids (or golf bags) you're absolutely delusional.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 11, 2010, 11:35:27 AM
If seating isn't a priority I agree.  The Vette might even be a better choice than the M3 as it has a much higher performance limit and nearly equal gas mileage. I would get a Vette over most 2 seaters in its price range used (Boxster, S2000, 350Z) in a heartbeat. Its not the most precise, polished or pretty but it works damn well.
The only reason I wouldn't take a Cayman S over the Vette would be the LS3.

NomisR

I still say Lotus Evora,  You have a mid engined supercar, without all the compromises of a Supercar.. and it has enough trunk space to fit 2 sets of golf clubs, with about 19/29 MPG, and seats 4, 0-60 in less than 5 sec, and Lotus handling..

Evora > M3

nickdrinkwater

As well as my MX-5 nomination, I nominate the Mustang.  Pretty much has it all as far as the criteria we're using is concerned, except for maybe handling balance.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 11, 2010, 01:04:51 PM
As well as my MX-5 nomination, I nominate the Mustang.  Pretty much has it all as far as the criteria we're using is concerned, except for maybe handling balance.
Actually it's got that too.  It's also got affordability on it's side as well.  I just didn't nominate it because I didn't want to be seen as a troll like Teuton.

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on February 11, 2010, 11:57:42 AM
I still say Lotus Evora,  You have a mid engined supercar, without all the compromises of a Supercar.. and it has enough trunk space to fit 2 sets of golf clubs, with about 19/29 MPG, and seats 4, 0-60 in less than 5 sec, and Lotus handling..

Evora > M3
Evora is not a supercar.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: SVT666 on February 11, 2010, 01:26:46 PM
Evora is not a supercar.

You missed his point (with which I agree), the Evora has the benefits of many a supercar without the drawbacks.